Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dubai, Playground Of The Rich On BBC2. 21:28 - Jan 3 with 4685 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Hideous, ostentatious looking place.
Give me a rustic shack on a Greek island beach any day.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Dubai, Playground Of The Rich On BBC2. on 21:30 - Jan 3 with 2798 viewsfactual_blue

Spent a day or two there as part of a Persian Gulf cruise.

One of the hotels had an ATM that dispensed gold bars.

Place was full of dodgy Russians.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Dubai, Playground Of The Rich On BBC2. on 21:33 - Jan 3 with 2778 viewsWD19

Dreadful, dreadful place.

Went there for a business conference and a game of 5-a-side took us off the beaten track. Some of the living conditions of the the workers are dreadful. Met a lovely taxi driver, speaking perfect English, who worked 12 hour shifts 7 days a week. He had to pay a fine if he was ever off sick as the taxi firm lost money.

Warm weather in March was the only saving grace.
Dubai, Playground Of The Rich On BBC2. on 21:54 - Jan 3 with 2694 viewsBlueBadger

Blackpool for billionaires, innit.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Dubai, Playground Of The Rich On BBC2. on 22:01 - Jan 3 with 2666 viewsBlueBadger

Dubai, Playground Of The Rich On BBC2. on 21:30 - Jan 3 by factual_blue

Spent a day or two there as part of a Persian Gulf cruise.

One of the hotels had an ATM that dispensed gold bars.

Place was full of dodgy Russians.

Sounds like an upmarket version of Villamoura in Portugal.

You know how if you visit a foreign marina you do a 'humorous' pose next to a posh boat as if you own it. You DO NOT do that in Villamoura.

Or Cyprus, about 15 years ago.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Dubai, Playground Of The Rich On BBC2. on 22:01 - Jan 3 with 2670 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Dubai, Playground Of The Rich On BBC2. on 21:33 - Jan 3 by WD19

Dreadful, dreadful place.

Went there for a business conference and a game of 5-a-side took us off the beaten track. Some of the living conditions of the the workers are dreadful. Met a lovely taxi driver, speaking perfect English, who worked 12 hour shifts 7 days a week. He had to pay a fine if he was ever off sick as the taxi firm lost money.

Warm weather in March was the only saving grace.

Similar deal in Cuba where the government own the tour guys cars, and charge the drivers 7 days a week - thus no days off. 2 ends of the scale!
Dubai, Playground Of The Rich On BBC2. on 22:18 - Jan 3 with 2607 viewssolomon

Strikes me as a bit chavvy rich sort of a place for those with money but no taste or intellect , Towie types etc.,
Dubai, Playground Of The Rich On BBC2. on 22:21 - Jan 3 with 2597 viewsIpswichKnight

And here lives the lovely Mugabe’s who throw such lovely New Years Eve Parties. Horrible horrible place have no desire to visit or even transfer through it.
Dubai, Playground Of The Rich On BBC2. on 23:09 - Jan 3 with 2527 viewsTractorWood

Dubai, Playground Of The Rich On BBC2. on 22:21 - Jan 3 by IpswichKnight

And here lives the lovely Mugabe’s who throw such lovely New Years Eve Parties. Horrible horrible place have no desire to visit or even transfer through it.

Have transferred through it a good few times on the way to/from SE Asia. It's pretty decent, highlight being you can pretty much access most gates from the lounge that basically spans the whole airport.

However, as a few have said, the plane from London to Dubai or Dubai to London was full of drunk Towie wannabees in £2k tracksuits. Then the onward flight to/from Asia was usually empty or had more business folk.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Login to get fewer ads

Dubai, Playground Of The Rich On BBC2. on 23:16 - Jan 3 with 2509 viewssolomon

Dubai, Playground Of The Rich On BBC2. on 23:09 - Jan 3 by TractorWood

Have transferred through it a good few times on the way to/from SE Asia. It's pretty decent, highlight being you can pretty much access most gates from the lounge that basically spans the whole airport.

However, as a few have said, the plane from London to Dubai or Dubai to London was full of drunk Towie wannabees in £2k tracksuits. Then the onward flight to/from Asia was usually empty or had more business folk.

Probably had too much Cristal as that’s what they believe is the ultimate in champagne and therefore makes them look successful and aspirational to the rest of us?
Dubai, Playground Of The Rich On BBC2. on 00:58 - Jan 4 with 2423 viewsfactual_blue

Dubai, Playground Of The Rich On BBC2. on 23:16 - Jan 3 by solomon

Probably had too much Cristal as that’s what they believe is the ultimate in champagne and therefore makes them look successful and aspirational to the rest of us?

As with Cognac, you can only buy the best Champagnes in France.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Dubai, Playground Of The Rich On BBC2. on 04:06 - Jan 4 with 2303 viewsrapier

Yes, we go there to get away from the likes you....
Dubai, Playground Of The Rich On BBC2. on 05:52 - Jan 4 with 2227 viewssolomon

Dubai, Playground Of The Rich On BBC2. on 04:06 - Jan 4 by rapier

Yes, we go there to get away from the likes you....

Not sure you understand how comforting that is for the rest of us, it’s the coming back that really gets under our skins.
Dubai, Playground Of The Rich On BBC2. on 07:48 - Jan 4 with 2152 viewseastangliaisblue

Couldn't think of anything worse then going to a place like that. Add the likes of Las Vegas on that list too.
Dubai, Playground Of The Rich On BBC2. on 08:13 - Jan 4 with 2093 viewsChurchman

Dubai, Playground Of The Rich On BBC2. on 07:48 - Jan 4 by eastangliaisblue

Couldn't think of anything worse then going to a place like that. Add the likes of Las Vegas on that list too.

I’ve not been to Dubai and have ne desire to go. There’s many places I’d like to before there. I have been to Las Vegas. It was a surreal, fun place to be for a few days and a good location for visiting the Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam. I’ve no desire to go again having done it.

With regard to the OP, I’ve enjoyed staying in a good few Greek shacks, figuratively, in the dim and distant and loved them!
[Post edited 4 Jan 2022 8:15]
Dubai, Playground Of The Rich On BBC2. on 09:09 - Jan 4 with 1953 viewshype313

I went there as my Brother and Sister were over there working, hmm, if you like Instagram influencers wandering around the place, overpriced fishfingers (£18 a box) brunching with the Danny Dyer's and a plethora of American burger shacks then it's the place for you.

Personally I found it grotesquely ostentatious, as another said, give me a shack on a Greek Island, or Seville any day of the week.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Dubai, Playground Of The Rich On BBC2. on 09:10 - Jan 4 with 1948 viewsIpswichKnight

Dubai, Playground Of The Rich On BBC2. on 08:13 - Jan 4 by Churchman

I’ve not been to Dubai and have ne desire to go. There’s many places I’d like to before there. I have been to Las Vegas. It was a surreal, fun place to be for a few days and a good location for visiting the Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam. I’ve no desire to go again having done it.

With regard to the OP, I’ve enjoyed staying in a good few Greek shacks, figuratively, in the dim and distant and loved them!

I quite like Vegas it doesn’t take it’s self to seriously. As you rightly say you can also get out of it to some really fab places.
Dubai, Playground Of The Rich On BBC2. on 09:23 - Jan 4 with 1925 viewsclive_baker

Dubai, Playground Of The Rich On BBC2. on 08:13 - Jan 4 by Churchman

I feel the same about Dubai and Vegas. I like visiting these places, but only once. I can't get my head around people who go back to Vegas so many times, or 2 week family holidays there. Each to their own and all that but 2 or 3 nights is enough to experience it, and there's countless places even in the west of US that I would rather be than Vegas.

Contrary to that I have been to Dubai twice, but once was for work. Not for me at all really, it's like Canary Wharf but hot. I don't really do shiny things, but I can see why Essex folk like it. They' like shiny new things don't they.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Dubai, Playground Of The Rich On BBC2. on 09:36 - Jan 4 with 1878 viewsChurchman

Dubai, Playground Of The Rich On BBC2. on 09:23 - Jan 4 by clive_baker

I feel the same about Dubai and Vegas. I like visiting these places, but only once. I can't get my head around people who go back to Vegas so many times, or 2 week family holidays there. Each to their own and all that but 2 or 3 nights is enough to experience it, and there's countless places even in the west of US that I would rather be than Vegas.

Contrary to that I have been to Dubai twice, but once was for work. Not for me at all really, it's like Canary Wharf but hot. I don't really do shiny things, but I can see why Essex folk like it. They' like shiny new things don't they.

Golfing friends of mine who also like to gamble (and other stuff) love Las Vegas and I can understand that if that’s your thing and can afford it. You can literally get anything you want. Nice to experience LV once, but that’s enough for me.

Ta for the Dubai/Canary Wharf comparison. Knowing Canary W pretty well, I’ve a better idea of the feel of Dubai now - just add in a bit of Las Vegas desert heat!
Dubai, Playground Of The Rich On BBC2. on 09:36 - Jan 4 with 1875 viewsBlueBadger

Dubai, Playground Of The Rich On BBC2. on 07:48 - Jan 4 by eastangliaisblue

If Vegas is Blackpool on speed, then Dubai must be Blackpool on cocaine.

Dubai, Playground Of The Rich On BBC2. on 09:53 - Jan 4 with 1835 viewsZapers

Dubai, Playground Of The Rich On BBC2. on 22:01 - Jan 3 by BlueBadger

Sounds like an upmarket version of Villamoura in Portugal.

You know how if you visit a foreign marina you do a 'humorous' pose next to a posh boat as if you own it. You DO NOT do that in Villamoura.

Or Cyprus, about 15 years ago.

Out of interest why do you not do that in Vilamoura?
Dubai, Playground Of The Rich On BBC2. on 09:54 - Jan 4 with 1823 viewsBlueBadger

Dubai, Playground Of The Rich On BBC2. on 09:53 - Jan 4 by Zapers

Out of interest why do you not do that in Vilamoura?

There's a LOT of Entirely Legit Russian Business People there...

Dubai, Playground Of The Rich On BBC2. on 10:07 - Jan 4 with 1758 viewsTractorWood

Dubai, Playground Of The Rich On BBC2. on 09:23 - Jan 4 by clive_baker

I've been to Vegas a couple of times and always had a good time. I thought it would be horrendous but it's actually pretty calm and relaxed. Great food and drink, weather is amazing if you go in March or October or something. Haven't seen much drunken yobbery.

As others have said, there is a lot to do but also not actually very much as it's all a variation of a theme. Drinking, partying, eating, shows. You can do one of each in 3 nights or spend 2 weeks doing it.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Dubai, Playground Of The Rich On BBC2. on 10:19 - Jan 4 with 1725 viewsBluespeed225

Amen to that. Dubai looks sh*t, seems full of sh*t people taking pics of themselves or have been sent there by The Daily Mail. Like an Essex nightmare that’s come to life.
Dubai, Playground Of The Rich On BBC2. on 10:20 - Jan 4 with 1721 viewsRadlett_blue

My daughter is currently in Dubai with her boyfriend, partly because his brother works there. Some of you may chuckle when you hear that they've just had 3 days of rain in a place where it usually rains about once a year!

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Dubai, Playground Of The Rich On BBC2. on 10:35 - Jan 4 with 1687 viewsZapers

Dubai, Playground Of The Rich On BBC2. on 09:54 - Jan 4 by BlueBadger

There's a LOT of Entirely Legit Russian Business People there...

Maybe you were there during a convention. Having lived there for a year, we never met or witnessed many Russians. Incidentally my wife is Russian, so I suspect she would know!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024