Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
5th Ashes Test 08:34 - Jan 14 with 950 viewsSamuelowen88

It was all going so well when I tuned in for the start.

Not so much now, Add to this the fact that our best bowler has injured himself.
How different if Crawley hadnt jumped across Root?

It's the hope isnt it

Poll: England v Wales Score

5th Ashes Test on 08:49 - Jan 14 with 916 viewsIpswichKnight

I nearly choked on my bran flakes this morning listening to the weasel words of the ECB CEO who least we forget said 4 years ago we should be proud of the governance of the ECB and is a man about to get a multi million pound bonus for running an organisation that turns a blind eye to racism seen the test match team bottom of the world test championship, thrown red ball cricket to the wolves and launched a competition that no one wanted.
5th Ashes Test on 08:56 - Jan 14 with 898 viewsFtnfwest

been following SA v India tbh, far more interesting
5th Ashes Test on 09:04 - Jan 14 with 888 viewsGuthrum

Head gets 100 and out. The Aussies have a fairly long, if fierce, tail.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

5th Ashes Test on 09:11 - Jan 14 with 871 viewsFtnfwest

5th Ashes Test on 09:04 - Jan 14 by Guthrum

Head gets 100 and out. The Aussies have a fairly long, if fierce, tail.

he wanted to make the most of only batting once again i think, another 50 odd and they're out of sight
5th Ashes Test on 09:18 - Jan 14 with 860 viewsGuthrum

5th Ashes Test on 09:11 - Jan 14 by Ftnfwest

he wanted to make the most of only batting once again i think, another 50 odd and they're out of sight

265? Need to wait until both sides have batted before writing it off. Even with the absences, England have several players who have scored 50+ this series and I will be interested to see what Billings can do.

5th Ashes Test on 09:33 - Jan 14 with 801 viewsChrisd

Yet another example, which highlights our bowling has been largely underwhelming this series and only slightly better than our batting. 12-3, you'd expect that a low score was imminent, but our bowlers are unable to capitalise on a bowler friendly pitch. We've struggled to bowl them out consistently this series and once again we've let them off the hook again! It's not just our batting that needs looking at once this series has finished.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

5th Ashes Test on 09:43 - Jan 14 with 782 viewsGuthrum

5th Ashes Test on 09:33 - Jan 14 by Chrisd

Yet another example, which highlights our bowling has been largely underwhelming this series and only slightly better than our batting. 12-3, you'd expect that a low score was imminent, but our bowlers are unable to capitalise on a bowler friendly pitch. We've struggled to bowl them out consistently this series and once again we've let them off the hook again! It's not just our batting that needs looking at once this series has finished.

It would help if our better bowlers didn't keep getting damaged during games (Robinson this time).

5th Ashes Test on 09:45 - Jan 14 with 775 viewsFtnfwest

5th Ashes Test on 09:18 - Jan 14 by Guthrum

265? Need to wait until both sides have batted before writing it off. Even with the absences, England have several players who have scored 50+ this series and I will be interested to see what Billings can do.

yes at least interested to what he can do, although he might be in at 50-5 so could be difficult! I think Burns back in for Hameed was right at this stage. Maybe a bit of a one day slog game might suit England more, but can't see the aussies getting much less than 350 now.
Login to get fewer ads

5th Ashes Test on 09:48 - Jan 14 with 767 viewsChrisd

5th Ashes Test on 09:43 - Jan 14 by Guthrum

It would help if our better bowlers didn't keep getting damaged during games (Robinson this time).

Very true, but even when we've had our full bowling unit fit and firing it's looked toothless. The ineptitude of our batting has helped to disguise the limitations of our bowling attack because everyone is talking about how poor our top 6 are on the international stage and incapable of posting any sort of competitive score.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2022 9:49]

5th Ashes Test on 09:48 - Jan 14 with 765 viewsGuthrum

5th Ashes Test on 09:45 - Jan 14 by Ftnfwest

yes at least interested to what he can do, although he might be in at 50-5 so could be difficult! I think Burns back in for Hameed was right at this stage. Maybe a bit of a one day slog game might suit England more, but can't see the aussies getting much less than 350 now.

Get Green soon and things could be interesting.

Burns for Hameed is worth a try, but not convinced about either of them as Test openers, the way things stand. We just currently don't have anyone else in the squad.

5th Ashes Test on 09:53 - Jan 14 with 744 viewsGuthrum

5th Ashes Test on 09:48 - Jan 14 by Chrisd

Very true, but even when we've had our full bowling unit fit and firing it's looked toothless. The ineptitude of our batting has helped to disguise the limitations of our bowling attack because everyone is talking about how poor our top 6 are on the international stage and incapable of posting any sort of competitive score.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2022 9:49]

Disguise, but also exacerbate. A bowling attack not in top form is going to struggle more with no total to defend (or knowing that is to come).

5th Ashes Test on 09:59 - Jan 14 with 732 viewsGuthrum

5th Ashes Test on 09:48 - Jan 14 by Guthrum

Get Green soon and things could be interesting.

Burns for Hameed is worth a try, but not convinced about either of them as Test openers, the way things stand. We just currently don't have anyone else in the squad.

Green has gone!

5th Ashes Test on 10:37 - Jan 14 with 704 viewsChrisd

5th Ashes Test on 09:53 - Jan 14 by Guthrum

Disguise, but also exacerbate. A bowling attack not in top form is going to struggle more with no total to defend (or knowing that is to come).

Not when there’s no total to defend on the board and the Aussies have batted first. You obviously think differently to me, but I’ve found I’ve been very underwhelmed by our bowling, too similar and lacking in variety. Is it an attack that can take 20 wickets in a match out in Oz? I think we both know the answer to that one.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2022 10:39]

5th Ashes Test on 07:59 - Jan 15 with 607 viewsChrisd

Here’s the difference, they go from 12-3 to 303 all out, poor bowling from us and 150 runs too many, but the Aussies show batting grit. England 85-5 currently and likely 130 all out if we are lucky, the usual batting frailties highlighted once again, but the Aussie demonstrate how to bowl on this wicket effectively.

5th Ashes Test on 12:17 - Jan 15 with 496 viewsstonojnr

5th Ashes Test on 10:37 - Jan 14 by Chrisd

Not when there’s no total to defend on the board and the Aussies have batted first. You obviously think differently to me, but I’ve found I’ve been very underwhelmed by our bowling, too similar and lacking in variety. Is it an attack that can take 20 wickets in a match out in Oz? I think we both know the answer to that one.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2022 10:39]

but would the Aussies be able to defend a total of 188 even against an England batting line up ? I think we all know the answer to that as well, and its no in case you are wondering :)

I dont think the England bowling has been at its best, but its not been that poor till now, for some reason we only decided to pick 4 bowlers for this game and one of them is clearly out of sorts, one of them is injured and one of them is playing an ODI game based on their figures.

Its hard to bowl a team out if youve only got one effective bowler, so 300 is probably too many, but 250 would have been a good total considering the situation we find ourselves in.

But then for the batting, why is our opener being run out in the 2nd over, on day 2 ? why is Crawley going for such a suicidal run so early in the game he runs his partner out, Ill tell you, its the ODI batting mindset, and you hear them use these terms in their post match interviews all the time, its positive batting, every shot is a scoring shot, youve got to keep pressure on the bowlers by taking the game to them, yep maybe when youve scored a century you can do that but in a test game with 4 days left to play in your 2nd over in reply you dont do those things. Just 2-3 runs per over and a days play youll be up around 300, and then the games level.

I think alot of the batting we see from this England team is they treat the Aussie runs as like an ODI game target and feel they have to get there as quick as possible, when if they were more patient, happy just to block theyd do much better.

so what can the bowlers do now ? back bowling within the day, Australia already 152 ahead, Australia should be able to easily double that even if the England bowling unit have a good day, and then the batting has to get 300+, which we havent done all tour.

is that a fault of the bowling or the batting ?
5th Ashes Test on 13:59 - Jan 15 with 466 viewsChrisd

5th Ashes Test on 12:17 - Jan 15 by stonojnr

but would the Aussies be able to defend a total of 188 even against an England batting line up ? I think we all know the answer to that as well, and its no in case you are wondering :)

I dont think the England bowling has been at its best, but its not been that poor till now, for some reason we only decided to pick 4 bowlers for this game and one of them is clearly out of sorts, one of them is injured and one of them is playing an ODI game based on their figures.

Its hard to bowl a team out if youve only got one effective bowler, so 300 is probably too many, but 250 would have been a good total considering the situation we find ourselves in.

But then for the batting, why is our opener being run out in the 2nd over, on day 2 ? why is Crawley going for such a suicidal run so early in the game he runs his partner out, Ill tell you, its the ODI batting mindset, and you hear them use these terms in their post match interviews all the time, its positive batting, every shot is a scoring shot, youve got to keep pressure on the bowlers by taking the game to them, yep maybe when youve scored a century you can do that but in a test game with 4 days left to play in your 2nd over in reply you dont do those things. Just 2-3 runs per over and a days play youll be up around 300, and then the games level.

I think alot of the batting we see from this England team is they treat the Aussie runs as like an ODI game target and feel they have to get there as quick as possible, when if they were more patient, happy just to block theyd do much better.

so what can the bowlers do now ? back bowling within the day, Australia already 152 ahead, Australia should be able to easily double that even if the England bowling unit have a good day, and then the batting has to get 300+, which we havent done all tour.

is that a fault of the bowling or the batting ?

It's still both, plus the management with their selection. Even during the Aussie 2nd innings, there were times we are bowling too short, we could've picked up more than the 3, but we continually miss a trick in the field and let the opposition get a foothold, good bowling sides don't allow that. What is evidently clear is Root is very much a defensive captain and reacts after the event. I find it incredible that the experience we have in our bowling unit, our captain and they have all watched the Aussies bowling on this pitch it isn't being addressed and bowlers spoken to. Robinson the main culprit currently for me. When you can't bowl a team out twice in a match, you are always going to struggle and that has been evident throughout this series. The batting speaks for itself with the consistently low scores. We know ultimately we haven't been good enough, but the difference in the two sides is huge, more than I realised heading into this series . However, when you look at many of the names in the England squad it should be good enough to compete and unfortunately for us we have been a distant 2nd best and that's why changes need to be made both on and off the field.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024