Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Let’s take it a game at a time and trust in the process 11:42 - Jan 16 with 637 viewsDarth_Koont

Yesterday was disappointing but expectations have frankly been all over the place since McKenna has come in and started off with a couple of wins.

Let’s be patient and let him work on the team –in training but also finding out more about them during matches.

We can be optimistic of course and hope that this is a blip on a longer run of wins. Then who knows if a play-off challenge is possible? But we really can’t be getting ahead of ourselves or despondent that we’ve already failed.

I think Accrington will be the perfect challenge as they’re physical and like to push us back (at least that’s what happened at their place). So the chance to learn from Bolton and do that side of the game much better. Oh, and of course turn our possession into pressure of our own rather than the chance for them to counter.

Pronouns: He/Him

Let’s take it a game at a time and trust in the process on 11:57 - Jan 16 with 586 viewsBLUEGOLD

And another week in training as well, plus a chance to get Celina ready to play as well.

Maybe some ins and outs this week as well as he starts to make it his team.
Let’s take it a game at a time and trust in the process on 12:04 - Jan 16 with 570 viewsDarth_Koont

Let’s take it a game at a time and trust in the process on 11:57 - Jan 16 by BLUEGOLD

And another week in training as well, plus a chance to get Celina ready to play as well.

Maybe some ins and outs this week as well as he starts to make it his team.

Yep. And if Coulson is getting back any time soon that would be great.

I don’t like to single out players but Penney looks like he needs to be taken out of the firing line and given the chance to rebuild his confidence. He put in a good display against Gillingham but they were possibly our weakest and least threatening opposition this season.

Let’s take it a game at a time and trust in the process on 12:17 - Jan 16 with 542 viewschrismakin

Let’s take it a game at a time and trust in the process on 12:04 - Jan 16 by Darth_Koont

I don’t like to single out players but Penney looks like he needs to be taken out of the firing line and given the chance to rebuild his confidence. He put in a good display against Gillingham but they were possibly our weakest and least threatening opposition this season.

Think he got a rough deal yesterday. Burns didn't have a great game either but Penneys getting blame despite playing against Boltons strongest side of the pitch. With very little help from those inside or infront of him.
Donacien etc to had terrible game too but it's not even been spoke about.

Not saying he's the answer going forwards either. But he wasn't the worst out there to warrant being taken out of the firing line on that performance.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Let’s take it a game at a time and trust in the process on 12:20 - Jan 16 with 532 viewsjayessess

Let’s take it a game at a time and trust in the process on 12:04 - Jan 16 by Darth_Koont

Not Penney's biggest fan, but I'm not sure what he did yesterday to be singled out really. Was involved in more good attacking moves than Burns, who was well off it.

Don't get me wrong, no objection to him being replaced (KVY certainly offers more offensively if we're happy with him on the left), but I thought he was his usual 6/10, unlike a few others.

I do wonder if losing a game gives McKenna a chance to assess what he really thinks his strongest XI is. Aluko and Norwood have both been great, but you might eye Celina and Chaplin for either of those two positions.

Evans is a puzzle too. When his radar is on, he's absolutely vital, but is bizarrely inconsistent for a midfielder of his type. He can go from 4/10 to 8/10 week on week, without much difference in opposition quality.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Let’s take it a game at a time and trust in the process on 12:22 - Jan 16 with 522 viewsDarth_Koont

Let’s take it a game at a time and trust in the process on 12:17 - Jan 16 by chrismakin

Think he got a rough deal yesterday. Burns didn't have a great game either but Penneys getting blame despite playing against Boltons strongest side of the pitch. With very little help from those inside or infront of him.
Donacien etc to had terrible game too but it's not even been spoke about.

Not saying he's the answer going forwards either. But he wasn't the worst out there to warrant being taken out of the firing line on that performance.

No, but unfortunately closer to his norm this season than the other players you mention.

I’m not binning him either.I think he’s got all the attributes but I think he’s struggled a little too much with his role and especially the defensive duties. But it seems more down to hesitancy and a lack of confidence than him not having the ability.

Let’s take it a game at a time and trust in the process on 12:26 - Jan 16 with 513 viewsunstableblue

Totally agree Darth.

It’s a long road, with blips along the way. As I stated before I think McKennas final preferred 11 will look different to that of the the 3 games. KVY, Chaplin, Celina, for example. And he has a week to fix the wrongs of Saturday and tweak for a different opposition.

We all did want a run though and to really challenge the play offs. I think we’ll know if that is possible following Accrington and MK Dons. I think Accrington will test McKenna even further than Bolton, they are in form and effective and are a rival.

Note: I do expect Bolton to now have a run.

However, I do think that a valid concern from yesterday was player performance, as per a bang on summary below. We dropped back into that disease of player underperformance that has plagued the club for years. And THE thing to watch against Accrington is whether McKenna can get the zeal, drive and desire back into the team from the Wycombe and Gills displays. Or will the team do what it did under Cook and go into a shell.

We passed a lot and had a lot of the ball first 20mins and second half yesterday - but there was zero penetration and belief.

But I’ll give McKenna more patience than Cook even, as the club need to grow as he does.

COYB

A pretty chastening afternoon really by patrickswell 15 Jan 2022 22:38
Bolton dictated that game from about the 20 minute mark onwards. Both sides played pretty similar styles but Evatt has had 18 months to get his Bolton side working and McKenna’s had a month. The difference today was the intensity of Bolton’s play. Apart from that flurry of corners midway through the second half, we never looked like wresting control of the match from them. No-one played particularly badly, but only Woolfenden and Walton played to their A-game. Everyone else ranged from OK to anonymous. Even the fans were subdued, as though we were taken aback that Bolton’s ultras were next to us and unable to try and lift the team as a result.

The goal was coming, but like many I was looking to see how McKenna’s Ipswich would respond to adversity. What a shame Edmundson, who otherwise played well, had an immediate brain fart which effectively settled the match.

McKenna can be as experimental as he likes over these next 20 matches, because we won’t be making the top 6 (again). The moment there’s any sense of optimism or expectancy, this squad goes to pieces at the earliest possible opportunity.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Let’s take it a game at a time and trust in the process on 12:44 - Jan 16 with 464 viewsDarth_Koont

Let’s take it a game at a time and trust in the process on 12:26 - Jan 16 by unstableblue

Totally agree Darth.

It’s a long road, with blips along the way. As I stated before I think McKennas final preferred 11 will look different to that of the the 3 games. KVY, Chaplin, Celina, for example. And he has a week to fix the wrongs of Saturday and tweak for a different opposition.

We all did want a run though and to really challenge the play offs. I think we’ll know if that is possible following Accrington and MK Dons. I think Accrington will test McKenna even further than Bolton, they are in form and effective and are a rival.

Note: I do expect Bolton to now have a run.

However, I do think that a valid concern from yesterday was player performance, as per a bang on summary below. We dropped back into that disease of player underperformance that has plagued the club for years. And THE thing to watch against Accrington is whether McKenna can get the zeal, drive and desire back into the team from the Wycombe and Gills displays. Or will the team do what it did under Cook and go into a shell.

We passed a lot and had a lot of the ball first 20mins and second half yesterday - but there was zero penetration and belief.

But I’ll give McKenna more patience than Cook even, as the club need to grow as he does.

COYB

A pretty chastening afternoon really by patrickswell 15 Jan 2022 22:38
Bolton dictated that game from about the 20 minute mark onwards. Both sides played pretty similar styles but Evatt has had 18 months to get his Bolton side working and McKenna’s had a month. The difference today was the intensity of Bolton’s play. Apart from that flurry of corners midway through the second half, we never looked like wresting control of the match from them. No-one played particularly badly, but only Woolfenden and Walton played to their A-game. Everyone else ranged from OK to anonymous. Even the fans were subdued, as though we were taken aback that Bolton’s ultras were next to us and unable to try and lift the team as a result.

The goal was coming, but like many I was looking to see how McKenna’s Ipswich would respond to adversity. What a shame Edmundson, who otherwise played well, had an immediate brain fart which effectively settled the match.

McKenna can be as experimental as he likes over these next 20 matches, because we won’t be making the top 6 (again). The moment there’s any sense of optimism or expectancy, this squad goes to pieces at the earliest possible opportunity.

Yep. Patience is key and the chance for McKenna to get his ideas across/build on marginal gains.

I’m involved in and watch a lot of rugby and the timescale for building a team and raising performance levels/improving results is completely different. Yes, that’s the nature of the sport as an industry where there aren’t football’s extremes of success and failure, and the obsession with short-term results.

But however they get to that point, rugby coaches still aren’t turning around players’ and teams’ baseline performance in weeks. We’re talking months and even over a season or two. And I think that’s true of any sport even football although we seem to be in denial about that.

A sudden run of wins can of course build up confidence and momentum, but it’s the hard work in training and the marginal gains that come from it that are still needed to maintain that.

It sounds counter-intuitive when we’ve been so starved of success but this is our opportunity to take our time and do things the right way. Because that’s going to be the quickest way of achieving the ultimate goal of promotion to the PL in say 4 or 5 years (or even stability in the Championship in the next couple).

McKenna looks to be the perfect manager for that detailed work so we should keep the bigger picture in mind rather than the highs and lows of short-term results.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024