Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New deal, second day running 10:28 - May 17 with 2575 viewsitfcsuth

Jackson.

[Post edited 17 May 2022 10:32]
New deal, second day running on 10:29 - May 17 with 2186 viewsiamipswich

Has to be

Poll: Who will return first?

New deal, second day running on 10:30 - May 17 with 2183 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Chappers, would explain running that 'best of thing' early last week.
[Post edited 17 May 2022 10:30]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

New deal, second day running on 10:30 - May 17 with 2156 viewsSparky85

KJ, confirmed
New deal, second day running on 10:32 - May 17 with 2108 viewsitfcsuth

New deal, second day running on 10:30 - May 17 by Sparky85

KJ, confirmed

2 year deal for him.
New deal, second day running on 10:33 - May 17 with 2076 viewsSteve_M

New deal, second day running on 10:30 - May 17 by Sparky85

KJ, confirmed

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

New deal, second day running on 10:33 - May 17 with 2072 viewsclive_baker

Fine as an option, hopefully he can get a full pre season under his belt and give KM something to think about.

Easier said than done on his wage but we really need to shift Pigott, and probably Hladky. Then we'll have a nice base off which to build for next season.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

New deal, second day running on 10:35 - May 17 with 2048 viewsCheltenham_Blue

New deal, second day running on 10:33 - May 17 by clive_baker

Fine as an option, hopefully he can get a full pre season under his belt and give KM something to think about.

Easier said than done on his wage but we really need to shift Pigott, and probably Hladky. Then we'll have a nice base off which to build for next season.

Would imagine that Pigott is on a sizeable wage, and we would want a fee. May not be so easy to shift. Possibly a loan option might be good for him.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

New deal, second day running on 10:37 - May 17 with 2029 viewsjayessess

Really good to get this one done. Without KJ we were looking at 3/4 strikers to replace. As it stands we have one in the building that McKenna rates, who knows the system, plays in two positions and will definitely be here for the entirety of pre-season.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Login to get fewer ads

New deal, second day running on 10:41 - May 17 with 1984 viewshype313

New deal, second day running on 10:37 - May 17 by jayessess

Really good to get this one done. Without KJ we were looking at 3/4 strikers to replace. As it stands we have one in the building that McKenna rates, who knows the system, plays in two positions and will definitely be here for the entirety of pre-season.

But can't finish his dinner.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

New deal, second day running on 10:43 - May 17 with 1966 viewsSTYG

New deal, second day running on 10:41 - May 17 by hype313

3 goals and 3 assists in 7 games under McKenna, suggests that maybe he's a lot more proficient when played in a McKenna system.

He's a cheap backup at this point that could have the ability to force his way in as a key player. He did better in his last 7 games under Cook than Wolf did and look at how McKenna changed him.

Best not write him off yet.
New deal, second day running on 10:46 - May 17 with 1947 viewsclive_baker

New deal, second day running on 10:35 - May 17 by Cheltenham_Blue

Would imagine that Pigott is on a sizeable wage, and we would want a fee. May not be so easy to shift. Possibly a loan option might be good for him.

He's on a monster wage for this level, which is definitely a problem. I can't see that he would take a drop in salary with 2 years left on his deal, nor can I imagine that any that would want him would be in a position to afford him. It's an issue, for sure. As you say getting him out on loan might help cover some of the cost. Failing that I imagine he'll keep the bench warm again, but certainly not a good use of our finite budget.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

New deal, second day running on 10:48 - May 17 with 1931 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

New deal, second day running on 10:37 - May 17 by jayessess

Pleased with this.

I've always rated him, and like Donacien he's shown great character through his time at ITFC to get back into the first team.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

New deal, second day running on 10:58 - May 17 with 1871 viewstractorboy1978

New deal, second day running on 10:46 - May 17 by clive_baker

He's on a monster wage for this level, which is definitely a problem. I can't see that he would take a drop in salary with 2 years left on his deal, nor can I imagine that any that would want him would be in a position to afford him. It's an issue, for sure. As you say getting him out on loan might help cover some of the cost. Failing that I imagine he'll keep the bench warm again, but certainly not a good use of our finite budget.

Imagine he will end up out on loan with us recouping as much of his wage as we possibly can. They won't want to be naming him in the squad next season and his wages coming in to our SCMP numbers.
New deal, second day running on 11:03 - May 17 with 1812 viewsjayessess

New deal, second day running on 10:41 - May 17 by hype313

Not sure that's true. In League One, he scores from 20% of his shots, which isn't bad (Norwood scores from 15% of his).

New deal, second day running on 11:12 - May 17 with 1766 viewshype313

New deal, second day running on 11:03 - May 17 by jayessess

Not sure that's true. In League One, he scores from 20% of his shots, which isn't bad (Norwood scores from 15% of his).

FWIW I'm hopeful that McKenna continues to find a suitable place for him here, I don't think he will be a starter but could be a nuisance when he comes on, no more no less.

From what I've seen of him in his 4 years here, he doesn't cut the mustard in front of goal, his numbers don't lie, but if McKenna can get a tune out of him, then brilliant.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

New deal, second day running on 11:19 - May 17 with 1710 viewsjayessess

New deal, second day running on 11:12 - May 17 by hype313

FWIW I'm hopeful that McKenna continues to find a suitable place for him here, I don't think he will be a starter but could be a nuisance when he comes on, no more no less.

From what I've seen of him in his 4 years here, he doesn't cut the mustard in front of goal, his numbers don't lie, but if McKenna can get a tune out of him, then brilliant.

Depends what you mean by "doesn't cut the mustard in front of goal" really. Like I say, the stats don't suggest he's bad at finishing chances, they suggest he's bad at getting chances in the first place.

This season:
Michael Smith had a shot every 27 minutes and scored 1 in 8 of them.
Kayden Jackson had a shot every 100 minutes and scored 1 in 4 of them.

(The stats for his other seasons are not dissimilar)
[Post edited 17 May 2022 11:22]

New deal, second day running on 11:30 - May 17 with 1657 viewsGlasgowBlue

Very good business.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

New deal, second day running on 11:30 - May 17 with 1656 viewsitfcsuth

New deal, second day running on 11:19 - May 17 by jayessess

Depends what you mean by "doesn't cut the mustard in front of goal" really. Like I say, the stats don't suggest he's bad at finishing chances, they suggest he's bad at getting chances in the first place.

This season:

I hate statistics by in large, I feel like they can all be dressed up dependent upon which narrative you want to write.

I think it was Jose Mourinho who once said - "people who don't understand football analyse it with stats".

Surely everybody can see KJ had a real resurgence under KM, and seems to fit into the system really well, his overall performances support that, he has looked really effective under him and had a decent goal return to follow up his good performances.

You can see why KM was keen to get this deal signed.
New deal, second day running on 11:36 - May 17 with 1631 viewsChurchman

I was totally easy with it. If KM wants him here, which he clearly does, it’s great that it’s sorted and one less bit of recruitment to be done. Well done the club and Jackson for getting it sorted before the transfer window opens.
New deal, second day running on 11:39 - May 17 with 1605 viewsjayessess

New deal, second day running on 11:30 - May 17 by itfcsuth

I hate statistics by in large, I feel like they can all be dressed up dependent upon which narrative you want to write.

I think it was Jose Mourinho who once said - "people who don't understand football analyse it with stats".

Surely everybody can see KJ had a real resurgence under KM, and seems to fit into the system really well, his overall performances support that, he has looked really effective under him and had a decent goal return to follow up his good performances.

You can see why KM was keen to get this deal signed.

Stats can be interpreted in different ways, of course, but so can everything else we use to form an opinion!

New deal, second day running on 11:57 - May 17 with 1538 viewsDJR

New deal, second day running on 11:19 - May 17 by jayessess

This season:

Whilst a striker can "get" chances out of nothing, in the main they are reliant on the rest of the team creating them, and we haven't been particularly good at that in the time he has been here. So if McKenna can improve this aspect of the team, Jackson's strike rate suggests he will do well, although he may never be a 20 goal a season striker because there are other aspects to his game.
[Post edited 17 May 2022 12:00]
New deal, second day running on 12:06 - May 17 with 1483 viewsVaughan8

Apart from a good half a season in League one, he hasn't been great.

However before his injury he seemed to be doing well under McKenna so lets hope that carries on.

I wasn't bothered either way. I'm going to guess hes more a "backup" than first choice at the current time anyway.
New deal, second day running on 12:45 - May 17 with 1380 viewsjayessess

New deal, second day running on 11:57 - May 17 by DJR

Whilst a striker can "get" chances out of nothing, in the main they are reliant on the rest of the team creating them, and we haven't been particularly good at that in the time he has been here. So if McKenna can improve this aspect of the team, Jackson's strike rate suggests he will do well, although he may never be a 20 goal a season striker because there are other aspects to his game.
[Post edited 17 May 2022 12:00]

There's somewhere in the middle between "making chances from nothing" and "mainly reliant on the team creating them", I think?

If a striker consistently makes good runs off the ball, they'll make it easier for the rest of the team to generate shooting opportunities for them. Norwood and Bonne were fed by the same midfield and ended up shooting more regularly than Jackson.

New deal, second day running on 12:49 - May 17 with 1372 viewsitfcjoe

Important bit of business - one less thing to worry about this summer....maybe a lesson learned from last years destruction that sometime keeping squad options around is helpful

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

New deal, second day running on 12:57 - May 17 with 1323 viewsBseaBlue

New deal, second day running on 12:45 - May 17 by jayessess

There's somewhere in the middle between "making chances from nothing" and "mainly reliant on the team creating them", I think?

If a striker consistently makes good runs off the ball, they'll make it easier for the rest of the team to generate shooting opportunities for them. Norwood and Bonne were fed by the same midfield and ended up shooting more regularly than Jackson.

Yes, exactly this and Jackson's movement into the channels is a big part of this.

I always feel he has an assist in him from wide areas. He has put some excellent crosses into the box at times. A striker that can create chances for others is just as important as one being on the end of them.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024