Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... 08:16 - Feb 1 with 5652 viewsitfcjoe

......as much as you want - but ultimately good players win games.

We don't have enough of them, and the ones we have had over the last 18 months haven't been able to stay fit (Murphy, McGoldrick, Fraser, Williams, Bishop, Webster now)

You look at the level of signing we have brought in in this window, and frankly it is an utter embarrassment. We are going absolutely nowhere as the squad, fundamentally, isn't good enough.

The signings yesterday were an absolute joke - no offence to Samuel and Huws as they are 2 players that if they were on permanent deals I'd have been well happy with - but on loan shows what Evans ambitions are for the club.

January was their chance to save season ticket sales for next year - they've compounded it and will lose more season tickets, more corporate customers, more academy sponsors and the club will have less money.

If Evans spends £6m a year, and that is balanced out with £15m of transfer fees since start of 2014/15 then he's barely put a penny in. We are back at the stage of Sheepy and needing to sell a player every year to balance the books.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 08:22 - Feb 1 with 2925 viewsBluebell

I hate to say it but why would you want Samuel and Huws on permanent deals?

We don't know how they are going to play for us, whether they will end up like a Coke or Bajner (I could name others but will stick at two). They aren't being picked by other Championship teams so there must be a reason. Let's find that out before committing to them. If Mick goes in the summer a new manager may have other ideas.

For what it's worth, the second half was the best I have seen us play all season apart from the fact we couldn't score. Spence had a great game once he had grown into it and Moore looked promising.
You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 08:27 - Feb 1 with 2892 viewsGuthrum

Thing is, if that policy had been openly declared, the fans might actually have been happier. No continually frustrated hopes every transfer window. No obfustication of how incoming fees are spent. Relieving the pressure on the manager and players if everyone knows the conditions they're operating under.

The fans may develop a siege mentality as in the days of Royle and the early part of Magilton's tenure. If not bringing enjoyment, it at least stands a chance of swinging them behind the club again.

Tho there would always be anger from some, believing that it is Evans' duty to put his every penny into the club.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 08:34 - Feb 1 with 2852 viewsVaughan8

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 08:22 - Feb 1 by Bluebell

We don't know how they are going to play for us, whether they will end up like a Coke or Bajner (I could name others but will stick at two). They aren't being picked by other Championship teams so there must be a reason. Let's find that out before committing to them. If Mick goes in the summer a new manager may have other ideas.

For what it's worth, the second half was the best I have seen us play all season apart from the fact we couldn't score. Spence had a great game once he had grown into it and Moore looked promising.

You need to take those blue tinted glasses off. I wasn't at the game, so of course I'm not allowed an opinion, but surely Derby being 3-0 up they eased off the gas a bit.

Obviously we will play better because they are just trying to avoid injuries, and pointless bookings and probably saving a bit.of energy. They still had better chances in the second half than us according to the highlights?

Best you have seen us play all season apart from the fact we couldn't score? Didn't look like we had many chances either? Sad times if that is the best we have been all season.

Re the loan signings, they seem to be desperate. Quantity not quality. And as you say, why would we sign them. We don't know really if they are any good. They can't get in teams who really we should be level with. As I said it must be just to bulk the squad up!
[Post edited 1 Feb 2017 8:35]
You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 08:37 - Feb 1 with 2813 viewsitfcjoe

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 08:22 - Feb 1 by Bluebell

Because both are decent young players with a decent pedigree. We don't know how anyone will play for us before they sign but I've seen enough of Huws and a bit of Samuel to know they both have something that could be developed.

But loans are just totally the wrong thing to do with them - Huws has barely played this season so will take weeks to get fit and Samuel is very raw.

It's easy to look good when you are 3-0 down, the other team let you have the ball - but they could have had another 3 in the second half even sitting back

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 08:39 - Feb 1 with 2793 viewsgreyhound

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 08:34 - Feb 1 by Vaughan8

You need to take those blue tinted glasses off. I wasn't at the game, so of course I'm not allowed an opinion, but surely Derby being 3-0 up they eased off the gas a bit.

Obviously we will play better because they are just trying to avoid injuries, and pointless bookings and probably saving a bit.of energy. They still had better chances in the second half than us according to the highlights?

Best you have seen us play all season apart from the fact we couldn't score? Didn't look like we had many chances either? Sad times if that is the best we have been all season.

Re the loan signings, they seem to be desperate. Quantity not quality. And as you say, why would we sign them. We don't know really if they are any good. They can't get in teams who really we should be level with. As I said it must be just to bulk the squad up!
[Post edited 1 Feb 2017 8:35]

7 signings in January is great if it shows the intention to develop the squad. However 5 of these are short term options, and as pointed out last night on the post game show on radio Suffolk, these are not players that will stay beyond the season and put in 40 or so stellar appearances next season.

Unfortunately the quality is not there, and if we got a new man in charge, when the puck gets shuffled I could see most of them dropping to the very bottom of the deck.
You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 08:41 - Feb 1 with 2774 viewsfactual_blue

The policy of having a list of payers to sign and of players to loan is sensible.

But I'm less and less likely to renew. I can spend that £400 a year on enjoying myself.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 08:41 - Feb 1 with 2773 viewschislehurstblue

The 2nd half was the best you have seen us play this season. We were lucky that the score wasnt 6 or 7. Ince missed a sitter that hit the post and Bart made 3 awesome saves. 3-0 flattered Ipswich, a fair reflection of the game would have been 5-0.

Derby were happy to defend and catch us on the break.

Spence looked out of his depth and had no confidence. Moore made more impact on the game that Pittman.
You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 08:43 - Feb 1 with 2749 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Indeed. If Mick was backed, he'd deliver.

I'd accept having to sell a player a year if the club made that transparent. The club have blatantly lied to me as a corporate customer, academy sponsor and supporter, repeatedly.

Anybody with half a brain would have seen that Hugill was well out of reach after he scored a couple of goals at Villa. We'd have got him for £2m if we'd done the deal in November, for completion in January. We've seen it all before with Vardy, Austin, Lallana, Lambert etc.... all players that at one point or another we looked at, talked to in some cases, and then either made a derisory offer or in the case of the Southampton two, pursued about 2 years too late.
Login to get fewer ads

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 08:49 - Feb 1 with 2690 viewsitfcjoe

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 08:43 - Feb 1 by PrideOfTheEast

I'd accept having to sell a player a year if the club made that transparent. The club have blatantly lied to me as a corporate customer, academy sponsor and supporter, repeatedly.

Anybody with half a brain would have seen that Hugill was well out of reach after he scored a couple of goals at Villa. We'd have got him for £2m if we'd done the deal in November, for completion in January. We've seen it all before with Vardy, Austin, Lallana, Lambert etc.... all players that at one point or another we looked at, talked to in some cases, and then either made a derisory offer or in the case of the Southampton two, pursued about 2 years too late.

How can a club expect to retain support when they are dishonest to the supporters. They want to be seen as a business so have to run as a proper one.

I spoke to my Dad at length about our tickets for next year - no way will I be renewing without a fight. And if they put up their usual effort to get me back or sell something to me then that will be another £5k gone from the budget - not a great deal in grand scheme of things but it all adds up.

No doubt I'll still get a ticket in the stands, but being a corporate customer they should be all over me looking to keep me on side - they offer me f*ck all.

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 08:50 - Feb 1 with 2679 viewsbluefunk

We are in limbo - the strategy appears to indicate MM will go in the summer and this window was about getting just enough to stay up. The lack of investment in the squad is, as you say, reaching embarrassing proportions, let's just hope ME backs a new manager
You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 08:51 - Feb 1 with 2660 viewsITFC_Forever

Second half was the best we've played all season? WTF?

It was better than the first half as Derby had declared.

But it wasn't even the best we've played this month - Blackburn was better for a start.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 08:52 - Feb 1 with 2649 viewsNeverTellMeTheOdds

If this window has taught me anything is that Mick will now be gone in the summer, if not before. Our January business was all about spending the bare minimum to get us through to the end of this season and hopefully keep us in this league.

Last nights game especially the first half was comparable to having Jewell back in charge, it was an absolute embarrassment and both Mick and the players should take responsibility for that.

For me the players certainly don't look like they are playing for Mick anymore and what worries me more is that we could lose the next 5/6 games like last night and I doubt Evans would sack Mick. Its depressing knowing this is what its going to be like for the next few months-just hoping to win a few games to keep us in this league, no ambition!

I am still on the fence regarding renewing my season ticket at the min too, the only thing that Evans can use to possibly tempt me is a new manager coming in the summer with funds, think that's probably what will be used as well and the early bird deadline will be extended-whether we have lost too many season tickets by then we will have to wait and see.

All is not well with our beloved ITFC :(

Poll: Will the new season ticket prices make you renew for the 2017/2018 season?

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 08:54 - Feb 1 with 2627 viewsNeverTellMeTheOdds

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 08:41 - Feb 1 by chislehurstblue

The 2nd half was the best you have seen us play this season. We were lucky that the score wasnt 6 or 7. Ince missed a sitter that hit the post and Bart made 3 awesome saves. 3-0 flattered Ipswich, a fair reflection of the game would have been 5-0.

Derby were happy to defend and catch us on the break.

Spence looked out of his depth and had no confidence. Moore made more impact on the game that Pittman.

Agreed with this, if it wasnt for Bart it really would have been 5, 6 or even 7 last night.

Poll: Will the new season ticket prices make you renew for the 2017/2018 season?

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 08:59 - Feb 1 with 2597 viewsSuperfrans

Samuel and Huws are both players with pedigree in this country, young players too. I agree, I'd be happier if we'd got them permanently.

As for last night, I thought we were okay second half - but we could easily have conceded another 3 and were playing a team which had all but won the game and were barely out of second gear.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 09:03 - Feb 1 with 2565 viewsClausThomsen

We've got good players, but Mick stifles them or misuses them.

Long balls to Pitman is never gonna work. Lincoln's long balls to that bald fat guy ripped us to pieces.

Lincoln was the wake up call, can't believe how many have slept through it.
You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 09:04 - Feb 1 with 2556 viewsClausThomsen

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 08:43 - Feb 1 by PrideOfTheEast

"Indeed. If Mick was backed, he'd deliver."

http://www.thedaisycutter.co.uk/2012/02/taking-the-mick-mccarthys-transfer-deali
You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 09:05 - Feb 1 with 2549 viewsRadlett_blue

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 08:50 - Feb 1 by bluefunk

We are in limbo - the strategy appears to indicate MM will go in the summer and this window was about getting just enough to stay up. The lack of investment in the squad is, as you say, reaching embarrassing proportions, let's just hope ME backs a new manager

Evans stopped backing managers after Keane & Jewell failed to deliver. Mick took us to the play offs with little money so Evans felt this was a good strategy. Unfortunately, the level of investment needed to remain competitive in this league has risen & Evans doesn't have the stomach for that. Hard to see a change of manager in the summer making much difference.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 09:07 - Feb 1 with 2526 viewsSuperfrans

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 08:39 - Feb 1 by greyhound

7 signings in January is great if it shows the intention to develop the squad. However 5 of these are short term options, and as pointed out last night on the post game show on radio Suffolk, these are not players that will stay beyond the season and put in 40 or so stellar appearances next season.

Unfortunately the quality is not there, and if we got a new man in charge, when the puck gets shuffled I could see most of them dropping to the very bottom of the deck.

I don't have a massive problem with those we have signed per se. It's the failure to sign an established or pedigree striker - or our inability to target someone in the right price bracket - that has left me fearing for the governance at the club. Who is selecting these targets and setting the budgets? We're so far off, it's very concerning.

But if we'd signed someone like Hugill and extended Chambers' deal in December (avoiding yesterday's farrago), I'd feel very much different. It's also impossible to know how much the turmoil around Chambers affected the mindset we had from kick off yesterday - it can't have helped.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 09:12 - Feb 1 with 2486 viewsGuthrum

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 08:52 - Feb 1 by NeverTellMeTheOdds

If this window has taught me anything is that Mick will now be gone in the summer, if not before. Our January business was all about spending the bare minimum to get us through to the end of this season and hopefully keep us in this league.

Last nights game especially the first half was comparable to having Jewell back in charge, it was an absolute embarrassment and both Mick and the players should take responsibility for that.

For me the players certainly don't look like they are playing for Mick anymore and what worries me more is that we could lose the next 5/6 games like last night and I doubt Evans would sack Mick. Its depressing knowing this is what its going to be like for the next few months-just hoping to win a few games to keep us in this league, no ambition!

I am still on the fence regarding renewing my season ticket at the min too, the only thing that Evans can use to possibly tempt me is a new manager coming in the summer with funds, think that's probably what will be used as well and the early bird deadline will be extended-whether we have lost too many season tickets by then we will have to wait and see.

All is not well with our beloved ITFC :(

I'm not convinced that it does necessarily mean McCarthy's off in the summer.

Was that "saving funds for the next window", or is it merely the system we're working under nowadays, operating at as close to break-even as possible on the financial side? And there can be few managers better at operating entirely with freebies at this level than McCarthy.

Problem is, it's going to be very difficult to maintain Championship status without making a loss every season, with transfer fees on top. That's just the environment which second-tier football has become, aspiring to the skill levels of the Prem but without the massive TV income (tho relegated teams get a slice of that for a few years as parachute payments).

The depth of quality in the squad is so shallow that we cannot stand a series of injuries and key players losing form. Continually being asked to give over and above your skill and fitness level is going to lead to exhaustion, mental as much as physical.

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 09:12 - Feb 1 with 2480 viewsPrideOfTheEast

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 09:04 - Feb 1 by ClausThomsen

"Indeed. If Mick was backed, he'd deliver."

http://www.thedaisycutter.co.uk/2012/02/taking-the-mick-mccarthys-transfer-deali

I firmly believe he would but we'll never know.

I take the point BTW.
You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 09:13 - Feb 1 with 2479 viewschislehurstblue

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 09:03 - Feb 1 by ClausThomsen

We've got good players, but Mick stifles them or misuses them.

Long balls to Pitman is never gonna work. Lincoln's long balls to that bald fat guy ripped us to pieces.

Lincoln was the wake up call, can't believe how many have slept through it.

WE DO NOT HAVE GOOD PLAYERS - this is a myth used by people that want MM gone.

we dont have money to buy adequate players, look a what we have brought in over the last 3 to 3 years and the money spent. You cant polish turds and hope that they all become decent players!

Whoever plays full backs are awful. Last night they were both awful
Midfield was a joke. Bru was shocking.
We have no goal threat apart from Lawrence.

The players couldnt even pass the ball to each other last night as they arent good enough. We had no idea how to break them down due to the players being so poor.

Do you think if MM could have brought in 4 or 5 £1m players this he would have done?

Why do you think a new manager will get any more money? Any new manager will get the same budget - just about zero. We shop in the conference as thats all we can afford with fees and wages. Its no wonder that so many of the first team wont to leave in the summer. The club has no ambition!

At least now we should might be able to get Monk or Houghton as by your conlcusions they will be getting sacked for losing to non league teams
You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 09:18 - Feb 1 with 2432 viewsNorthern_Blue81

Seems crazy to bring in 2 loan players to such a toxic atmosphere and poor team, will do nothing for their confidence and performances, should they get in the team of course.

The thing that makes it worse for me is MM bringing in young players (Loans or otherwise) for them to be played in odd positions and take them backwards, that is not what we should be about as a football club.

Grant Ward is now just another player that comes on chases circles, he could have been a great signing, now he just looks confused as to what he is suppose to be doing and fed up!
You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 09:26 - Feb 1 with 2380 viewsNeverTellMeTheOdds

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 09:12 - Feb 1 by Guthrum

I'm not convinced that it does necessarily mean McCarthy's off in the summer.

Was that "saving funds for the next window", or is it merely the system we're working under nowadays, operating at as close to break-even as possible on the financial side? And there can be few managers better at operating entirely with freebies at this level than McCarthy.

Problem is, it's going to be very difficult to maintain Championship status without making a loss every season, with transfer fees on top. That's just the environment which second-tier football has become, aspiring to the skill levels of the Prem but without the massive TV income (tho relegated teams get a slice of that for a few years as parachute payments).

The depth of quality in the squad is so shallow that we cannot stand a series of injuries and key players losing form. Continually being asked to give over and above your skill and fitness level is going to lead to exhaustion, mental as much as physical.

Micks done, he is now totally out of ideas and doesn't know what his best team is any more. Tactically he has been getting it wrong more times than right this year. Last night definitely showed that, why would you play wing backs and give Ince & Anya as much space as that-it was suicidal and even I called it before kick off and im not being paid £1 million + to get it right. It wasn't till we were 2-0 that he realised and pushed Digby into midfield and went 4 at the back, what he should have done with to begin with!

I hope that Evans is aware that we are going no where under Mick now, if anything we are going backwards and backwards by the week and Mick will be given a handshake at the end of the season and it will be a mutual parting of the ways.

If however Mick is not sacked or leaves on his own accord, then yeah that will definitely be it for me and I wont be renewing-other than a spell of travelling a few years back, I have been a season ticket holder for nearly 20 years now, it saddens me to even be contemplating giving it up.

As others have coined a phrase those "its the hope that kills you "

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 09:28 - Feb 1 with 2365 viewsClausThomsen

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 09:13 - Feb 1 by chislehurstblue

WE DO NOT HAVE GOOD PLAYERS - this is a myth used by people that want MM gone.

we dont have money to buy adequate players, look a what we have brought in over the last 3 to 3 years and the money spent. You cant polish turds and hope that they all become decent players!

Whoever plays full backs are awful. Last night they were both awful
Midfield was a joke. Bru was shocking.
We have no goal threat apart from Lawrence.

The players couldnt even pass the ball to each other last night as they arent good enough. We had no idea how to break them down due to the players being so poor.

Do you think if MM could have brought in 4 or 5 £1m players this he would have done?

Why do you think a new manager will get any more money? Any new manager will get the same budget - just about zero. We shop in the conference as thats all we can afford with fees and wages. Its no wonder that so many of the first team wont to leave in the summer. The club has no ambition!

At least now we should might be able to get Monk or Houghton as by your conlcusions they will be getting sacked for losing to non league teams

Monk and Hughton won't get sacked - the FA cup is not important to a team involved in the promotion race. And they both lost the game over one away leg, creating more chances in the one leg than we managed over 2, home and away.

Even the most pro-MM supporter has to accept that we were outclassed by a non league team on our own ground. Then, after probably our best performance of the season against Blackburn, he changes the team completely for the away match against the non league team we scraped a draw against full-strength.

You can blah blah all day about money, but the Lincoln match was pure indication that McCarthy can't get a team to pass the ball to each other or create any clear cut chances against a team of far, far worse, cheaper players.

We have a decent squad for this level, if it's unbalanced (which it is at least) then that is the fault of the management. He's only sold a leftback since the playoffs.

Here's what happened when Wolves gave McCarty £35 million.
You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 09:33 - Feb 1 with 2339 viewsGuthrum

You can go on about formation, style, tactics and the like..... on 09:26 - Feb 1 by NeverTellMeTheOdds

Micks done, he is now totally out of ideas and doesn't know what his best team is any more. Tactically he has been getting it wrong more times than right this year. Last night definitely showed that, why would you play wing backs and give Ince & Anya as much space as that-it was suicidal and even I called it before kick off and im not being paid £1 million + to get it right. It wasn't till we were 2-0 that he realised and pushed Digby into midfield and went 4 at the back, what he should have done with to begin with!

I hope that Evans is aware that we are going no where under Mick now, if anything we are going backwards and backwards by the week and Mick will be given a handshake at the end of the season and it will be a mutual parting of the ways.

If however Mick is not sacked or leaves on his own accord, then yeah that will definitely be it for me and I wont be renewing-other than a spell of travelling a few years back, I have been a season ticket holder for nearly 20 years now, it saddens me to even be contemplating giving it up.

As others have coined a phrase those "its the hope that kills you "

Problem is, changing formation nullified what little attacking threat we had.

I think McCarthy's running out of ideas in part because we lack the players (barring a couple of exceptions) to execute any plan which might work. Thin out the defence and we concede, strengthen it and we can't score. Not a great choice.

I can quite easily see McCarthy leaving, his replacement getting the same level of players to use and ending up in a similar predicament - if not worse - in a year's time.

I have every sympathy with your feelings on the matter, it's horrible to watch. Just don't think changing the manager alone is going to provide the answer.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024