Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mississippi Fred McDowell - Sparks and other blues fans 21:15 - Feb 18 with 1395 viewsThrobbe

Not really my genre, but stumbled across him tonight and really taken with this ...

Could any of you recommend a decent compilation of his to get me started?

TWTD Cycling Herbert

Mississippi Fred McDowell - Sparks and other blues fans on 22:12 - Feb 18 with 1356 viewsStourbridgeblue

Love a bit of MFD :-) this is a great vid I've not seen before. Thanks for posting. There's plenty of compilations and "Best Of" choices out there. Good Morning Little School Girl is a good starting point. (Although it will probably get you arrested nowadays)

Poll: What do you want on Sunday?

Mississippi Fred McDowell - Sparks and other blues fans on 23:03 - Feb 18 with 1328 viewsbobwya

One of the great bluesmen. I had the pleasure of seeing him in the 60's when he really did make his guitar sing.
There are a number of videos on YouTube and several compilations available.
Mississippi Fred McDowell - Sparks and other blues fans on 23:33 - Feb 18 with 1298 viewsGuthrum

Worth a watch:

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Mississippi Fred McDowell - Sparks and other blues fans on 23:35 - Feb 18 with 1297 viewssparks

Probably his most iconic tune is 'a few short lines'.

Michael Messer, who is something of a McDowell officianado (not to mention a fine player in the style) says:

'I have many favourite moments from Fred McDowell's recordings, but on the whole I agree with Slide496 that the 1959 Alan Lomax recordings captured Fred at his best.

I think my other favourites are the Pete Welding 1966 session with the Hunter's Chapel Singers, called 'Amazing Grace', and the 1963/64 sessions that became the 'My Home is in The Delta' album. '

Of course, shake em on down was something of a signature tune for my avatar photo- bukka white...

[Post edited 18 Feb 2017 23:37]

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Mississippi Fred McDowell - Sparks and other blues fans on 23:48 - Feb 18 with 1265 viewsBinner

Mississippi Fred McDowell - Sparks and other blues fans on 23:35 - Feb 18 by sparks

Probably his most iconic tune is 'a few short lines'.

Michael Messer, who is something of a McDowell officianado (not to mention a fine player in the style) says:

'I have many favourite moments from Fred McDowell's recordings, but on the whole I agree with Slide496 that the 1959 Alan Lomax recordings captured Fred at his best.

I think my other favourites are the Pete Welding 1966 session with the Hunter's Chapel Singers, called 'Amazing Grace', and the 1963/64 sessions that became the 'My Home is in The Delta' album. '

Of course, shake em on down was something of a signature tune for my avatar photo- bukka white...

[Post edited 18 Feb 2017 23:37]

Among my favourites of his are 'The Train I Ride' (which I'm just listening to) and 'The Sun Rose This Morning'.

And, oddly enough (looking at that pic of Bukka White) I just bought a reso which arrived yesterday. Cheap one, though. See how it goes...

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Mississippi Fred McDowell - Sparks and other blues fans on 08:10 - Feb 19 with 1205 viewssparks

Mississippi Fred McDowell - Sparks and other blues fans on 23:48 - Feb 18 by Binner

Among my favourites of his are 'The Train I Ride' (which I'm just listening to) and 'The Sun Rose This Morning'.

And, oddly enough (looking at that pic of Bukka White) I just bought a reso which arrived yesterday. Cheap one, though. See how it goes...

Pop over to Michael Messser's forum if you have an interest in resos or slide. A real treasury of expertise and knowledge.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Mississippi Fred McDowell - Sparks and other blues fans on 08:10 - Feb 19 with 1205 viewsThrobbe

As usual, TWTD delivers, thanks all.

TWTD Cycling Herbert

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024