Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone quit a job within days of starting? 19:39 - Feb 27 with 4753 viewsLesta_Tractor

Started a new job today and got home to find that I've been offered another job which would be much much better for me.

*Obviously this relates to McDonald's and Burger King.
[Post edited 27 Feb 2017 19:40]

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Anyone quit a job within days of starting? on 19:41 - Feb 27 with 4076 viewsJ2BLUE

Take it and don't go back to your current job. Leave it off your CV. Just clear it with the new people first to make sure you aren't left totally screwed.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Anyone quit a job within days of starting? on 19:42 - Feb 27 with 4049 viewsclive_baker

Do it if you're that confident. It literally won't matter at all in a month or 2. This job you've just started won't even feature on your CV.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Anyone quit a job within days of starting? on 19:46 - Feb 27 with 4015 viewsfooters

When the shoe's on the other foot they don't tend to hesitate. Go for what you want, you won't regret it.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Anyone quit a job within days of starting? on 19:48 - Feb 27 with 3984 viewsMaySixth

Not that quickly but I quit my job last Friday after three months in

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Anyone quit a job within days of starting? on 20:01 - Feb 27 with 3889 viewsLesta_Tractor

Anyone quit a job within days of starting? on 19:46 - Feb 27 by footers

When the shoe's on the other foot they don't tend to hesitate. Go for what you want, you won't regret it.

Very true, I hate burning bridges but this other job is worth it.

Anyone quit a job within days of starting? on 20:07 - Feb 27 with 3861 viewsRegencyBlue

Do what's best for you!
Anyone quit a job within days of starting? on 20:17 - Feb 27 with 3799 viewsSonOfSpock

You have to do what's best for you. Companies these days won't think twice about screwing you over so go for it.
Anyone quit a job within days of starting? on 20:19 - Feb 27 with 3789 viewsMJallday

shortest was a week

i realised what a bunch of shisters they were, totally missold me the job but waited until i got through the door. i told them to stick it up their a**e.

took great pleasure in putting a massive dent in the MD's car as i left

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone quit a job within days of starting? on 21:32 - Feb 27 with 3619 viewsTractorWood

Job market as changed a lot. People tend to have portfolio careers. In the legal and accountancy practice it's not uncommon for people to change after a few weeks or months for a good enough reason.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Anyone quit a job within days of starting? on 21:59 - Feb 27 with 3509 viewsgreyhound

I quit a job once where I had everything set up for a right career. Left because I wanted an easier life, no stress. I turned up on the first day in a new job where the first thing that was said to me by an older employee in his final year was this jobs so easy an untrained monkey could do it. He wasn't wrong.

It took me three years to right that wrong move as I didn't take the chance to go straight back to the company I had left when offered a week later.

That was all because I felt to loyal to a new employer. Never ever will I hang around in my career again if a better offer comes along or if something doesn't feel right. Even though I'm happy in my job now I still apply for other things just to keep my toe in the water with interviews and to make sure I'm paid competitively.
Anyone quit a job within days of starting? on 03:40 - Feb 28 with 3335 viewsBenters

I did within hours.

Thinking about it ive seen people turn up on site take one look at the work think fk it and walk off again !
[Post edited 28 Feb 2017 3:59]

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Anyone quit a job within days of starting? on 04:01 - Feb 28 with 3321 viewsTLA

I once started a job in 'marketing' and, after two training days, I was given a copy of the Yellow Pages and told 'start at 'A' and work your way through'. It was the dreaded cold-calling sales job I'd sought assurances for that it wasn't at the interview!

I went back and shared a bag of donuts with my previous manager and started back with JJB Sports that afternoon...
Anyone quit a job within days of starting? on 04:40 - Feb 28 with 3305 viewsfeelingblue

Probably better for everyone if you take the other job. You won't waste your or the current employer's time.
However, unwise to make this a regular occurrence.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2017 4:41]
Anyone quit a job within days of starting? on 05:58 - Feb 28 with 3245 viewstrncbluearmy

Anyone quit a job within days of starting? on 19:41 - Feb 27 by J2BLUE

Take it and don't go back to your current job. Leave it off your CV. Just clear it with the new people first to make sure you aren't left totally screwed.

That is so typical of the snowflake generation
Show some balls.

Go back to your current employer and explain the situation, you never know what will happen in the future, build bridges, not destroy them.
If your current employer is worth his salt he will appreciate your honesty and wish you well in the future or if they like you they may be able to find something more suited to your talents
Anyone quit a job within days of starting? on 07:40 - Feb 28 with 3109 viewshampstead_blue

As a recruiter I'd offer this advice.

Write a letter to your current employer stating the reasons, but not the detail.
Send it Signed For Delivery
Take a hard copy with you.
Talk openly honestly, and with respect, to your current employer.

Don't forget that the world of employment is small and their staff will move jobs and if you behave less than professionally someone could remember in future years.

Also, they will have invested in you and will be annoyed they have to find a replacement. Make sure you understand the situation from their side.

Karma. Create good Karma.

The last thing you want is to hack them off and someone makes a call and torpedoes your new role.

Good luck.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Anyone quit a job within days of starting? on 12:34 - Feb 28 with 2906 viewscharlie1

Ian Crook
Anyone quit a job within days of starting? on 12:45 - Feb 28 with 2865 viewsoldbluestu

No loyalty these days and then you hear people moan about how employers treat employees
Anyone quit a job within days of starting? on 13:33 - Feb 28 with 2756 viewsRyorry

Anyone quit a job within days of starting? on 12:34 - Feb 28 by charlie1

Ian Crook

Hassan Kachloul!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Anyone quit a job within days of starting? on 13:46 - Feb 28 with 2708 viewsGeoffSentence

4 days was my shortest. I took a job as a 'manager'. After 4 days of following one of the existing 'managers' around it was obvious that the job was nothing more than knocking on peoples doors and trying to sell them financial products that they didn't want or need.

Most of the techniques they used have since been banned under the financial services act.

I didn't go back after the weekend.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Anyone quit a job within days of starting? on 13:48 - Feb 28 with 2698 viewsMattinLondon

Anyone quit a job within days of starting? on 05:58 - Feb 28 by trncbluearmy

Show some balls.

Go back to your current employer and explain the situation, you never know what will happen in the future, build bridges, not destroy them.
If your current employer is worth his salt he will appreciate your honesty and wish you well in the future or if they like you they may be able to find something more suited to your talents

Someone writes a post about Generation Snowflake and now every idiot seems to be using that generalised phrase. Bag of balls
Anyone quit a job within days of starting? on 13:55 - Feb 28 with 2669 viewsBad_Boy_Mark

Anyone quit a job within days of starting? on 05:58 - Feb 28 by trncbluearmy

Show some balls.

This is good advice; treat others how you'd like to be treated - also the world within the OP's industry may be a small one and there is a possibility any less than favourable actions could cause problems in the future.
Anyone quit a job within days of starting? on 13:56 - Feb 28 with 2662 viewsLesta_Tractor

Anyone quit a job within days of starting? on 12:45 - Feb 28 by oldbluestu

No loyalty these days and then you hear people moan about how employers treat employees

I was in my previous role for three years and the one before that for six years.

The problem here isn't loyalty but that I accepted the first offer too quickly.

Anyone quit a job within days of starting? on 13:57 - Feb 28 with 2654 viewsBad_Boy_Mark

Anyone quit a job within days of starting? on 07:40 - Feb 28 by hampstead_blue

As a recruiter I'd offer this advice.

Write a letter to your current employer stating the reasons, but not the detail.
Send it Signed For Delivery
Take a hard copy with you.
Talk openly honestly, and with respect, to your current employer.

Don't forget that the world of employment is small and their staff will move jobs and if you behave less than professionally someone could remember in future years.

Also, they will have invested in you and will be annoyed they have to find a replacement. Make sure you understand the situation from their side.

Karma. Create good Karma.

The last thing you want is to hack them off and someone makes a call and torpedoes your new role.

Good luck.

Very well put, completely agree
Anyone quit a job within days of starting? on 14:00 - Feb 28 with 2635 viewsBad_Boy_Mark

Anyone quit a job within days of starting? on 13:33 - Feb 28 by Ryorry

Hassan Kachloul!

Is it only me that still feels somewhat irked when remembering how he treated us?
Anyone quit a job within days of starting? on 16:57 - Feb 28 with 2491 viewsFreddy

Do whats best for you in the long term
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024