Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor 09:45 - May 20 with 2932 viewsArcher4721

What an even more terrifying thought come June 9th

"A week ago an old Whitehall colleague told me that Treasury mandarins expect to be briefing Liam Fox as the new Chancellor should the Tories be re-elected — and they were not much looking forward to the experience. I did not pay much attention until today’s May/Hammond press conference, where it became evident that Hammond’s coat is on the shoogliest of pegs.

Hammond started the day being ripped to shreds by John Humphreys on the Today programme and getting the cost of HS2 radically wrong. But that hardly matters, as it is only when this happens to opposition figures that the mainstream media highlights and constant replays it.

A much more telling incident happened shortly thereafter when, standing alongside Hammond, May was three times asked directly if Hammond would continue as Chancellor, and she refused to back him, only at the third time of asking giving the most half hearted endorsement. I then realised the information I had been given was good.

Strangely, it is only the right wing media that has noted Fox’s continuing relationship with Adam Werritty. It was the Spectator which published that Werritty joined Fox on the Commons Terrace for a champagne spree to celebrate the disgraced ex-minister’s return to office. I was told by a SNP MP who witnessed it and used the phrase “brass neck”. But only the Spectator reported it, and only the Times has said that the two remain close. They reported last year that Werritty is living in Dolphin Square (I know, let’s not go there).

I have an irresistible image of what life is going to be like inside the Treasury, should Fox and Werritty have the run of it.

Of course Werritty opened a private health company when Fox was Health Secretary and a defence consultancy business when Fox was Minister of Defence. If Fox becomes Chancellor, I presume he gets to open a bank!

But on a more serious note, the prospect of Fox becoming Chancellor is truly alarming. The hard right links he forged through the now defunct Atlantic Bridge to the American Legislative Exchange Council and the Heritage Foundation give him direct access into the heart of the Trump administration, and align him with the nastiest millionaires and hedge fund managers, with the funders of climate change denial and with those who wish to abolish literally all workers’ rights and consumer protections. This article by George Monbiot is rather dense, but it is essential reading. And terrifying."

https://www.craigmur...chancellor/amp/

Fox appears to be confined in a locked cupboard for the duration of the election campaign. Doubtless he is waiting, like a child on Christmas Eve, to come bursting out and claim his prize once it is over.

http://www.truth-out...of-the-atlantic

May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 10:13 - May 20 with 1846 viewsJ2BLUE

Ever since the Brexit vote i've had a 'we had a vote, deal with it' attitude and I think now for the first time i'm realising how it feels to be marched towards something you really don't want by a majority of voters.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 10:18 - May 20 with 1830 viewsGlasgowBlue

May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 10:13 - May 20 by J2BLUE

Ever since the Brexit vote i've had a 'we had a vote, deal with it' attitude and I think now for the first time i'm realising how it feels to be marched towards something you really don't want by a majority of voters.

He's copied and pasted all of that from a left wing blog. Complete speculation.

If Fox is the next Chancellor I'll donate £50 to a charity of Archer's choice.

Oh have you had a chance to check out an independent source yet? That was nearly a month ago now and I'm sure you want to be fully informed before making your decision.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 10:24 - May 20 with 1804 viewsWD19

Hammond is on thin ice so the information about Fox is 'clearly good'.

Critical and balanced thinking is really not your thing is it!?

I would be horrified if Fox got anywhere near number 11, but speculation based on the corridor musings of a civil servant are not going to keep me awake at night.
May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 10:33 - May 20 with 1788 viewsFreddies_Ears

May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 10:24 - May 20 by WD19

Hammond is on thin ice so the information about Fox is 'clearly good'.

Critical and balanced thinking is really not your thing is it!?

I would be horrified if Fox got anywhere near number 11, but speculation based on the corridor musings of a civil servant are not going to keep me awake at night.

If Fox becomes Chancellor, it means that they had to give up trying to find an economically-literate Brexiteer.
May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 10:34 - May 20 with 1786 viewsJ2BLUE

May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 10:18 - May 20 by GlasgowBlue

Oh have you had a chance to check out an independent source yet? That was nearly a month ago now and I'm sure you want to be fully informed before making your decision.

I was talking in general terms. I can't see Fox becoming chancellor either. With his alleged long list of contacts in the US and beyond I would have thought he'll continue in trade.

Edit: I still haven't, no. I keep forgetting all about it. I will make the effort after work tomorrow to have a look.
[Post edited 20 May 2017 10:35]

Truly impaired.

May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 10:39 - May 20 with 1770 viewsWD19

May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 10:33 - May 20 by Freddies_Ears

If Fox becomes Chancellor, it means that they had to give up trying to find an economically-literate Brexiteer.

If May gets a decent majority she may even be able to bin off Fox altogether. I am not sure Archer will be so keen to highlight that potential benefit to humankind.
May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 10:43 - May 20 with 1752 viewsGuthrum

May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 10:18 - May 20 by GlasgowBlue

Tho Hammond might indeed be on thin ice. I didn't get the impression his competence was highly regarded at the MoD when he held that brief.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 10:46 - May 20 with 1753 viewsElderGrizzly

More terrifying than Abbott as Home Secretary? :)
Login to get fewer ads

May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 10:47 - May 20 with 1736 viewsElderGrizzly

May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 10:34 - May 20 by J2BLUE

I was talking in general terms. I can't see Fox becoming chancellor either. With his alleged long list of contacts in the US and beyond I would have thought he'll continue in trade.

Edit: I still haven't, no. I keep forgetting all about it. I will make the effort after work tomorrow to have a look.
[Post edited 20 May 2017 10:35]

I posted this earlier comparing the various elements of each manifesto on key points.

Not a bad place to start & it's being updated each day

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2017/may/19/who-should-i-vot
May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 10:48 - May 20 with 1733 viewsGlasgowBlue

May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 10:43 - May 20 by Guthrum

Tho Hammond might indeed be on thin ice. I didn't get the impression his competence was highly regarded at the MoD when he held that brief.

Hammond is a gonner. I'd have an outside punt on a return for Gove.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 11:01 - May 20 with 1708 viewsGuthrum

May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 10:48 - May 20 by GlasgowBlue

Hammond is a gonner. I'd have an outside punt on a return for Gove.

Is Gove trustworthy enough?

And after his fairly gaffe-prone stint in Education, would he be good enough for a more critical role?

May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 11:07 - May 20 with 1687 viewscaught-in-limbo

May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 10:13 - May 20 by J2BLUE

Ah, the power of the media over the brainwashed masses.

What exactly do you feel you're being marched reluctantly towards?
[Post edited 20 May 2017 11:10]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 11:07 - May 20 with 1686 viewsbluelagos

May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 11:01 - May 20 by Guthrum

Is Gove trustworthy enough?

And after his fairly gaffe-prone stint in Education, would he be good enough for a more critical role?

BJ was appointed, which suggests trust, integrity and competence are far from requirements in TMs appointments.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 11:10 - May 20 with 1675 viewsJ2BLUE

May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 10:47 - May 20 by ElderGrizzly

I posted this earlier comparing the various elements of each manifesto on key points.

Not a bad place to start & it's being updated each day

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2017/may/19/who-should-i-vot

I read that yesterday. There's no doubt that based on policies, Labour get my vote.

Truly impaired.

May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 11:11 - May 20 with 1668 viewsJ2BLUE

May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 11:07 - May 20 by caught-in-limbo

A conservative government with a huge majority and barely any opposition.

Truly impaired.

May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 11:12 - May 20 with 1665 viewsElderGrizzly

May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 11:07 - May 20 by caught-in-limbo

Are you still eligible to vote btw?
May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 11:14 - May 20 with 1656 viewscaught-in-limbo

May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 11:12 - May 20 by ElderGrizzly

Are you still eligible to vote btw?

nope

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 11:15 - May 20 with 1656 viewsElderGrizzly

May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 11:10 - May 20 by J2BLUE

I read that yesterday. There's no doubt that based on policies, Labour get my vote.

And that's how you should vote. Not based on a tribal devotion to a leader

Some people will vote for whatever wears the right colour, no matter the policies or how they sit in the current climate
May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 11:19 - May 20 with 1644 viewsGuthrum

May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 11:07 - May 20 by bluelagos

BJ was appointed, which suggests trust, integrity and competence are far from requirements in TMs appointments.

I didn't mention the word "integrity" at any point!

Johnson wasn't the one who tried to pull a monumental back-stab after Cameron's resignation. And I think he comes up with fewer strange ideas than Gove.

May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 11:19 - May 20 with 1643 viewsbluelagos

May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 11:15 - May 20 by ElderGrizzly

Some people will vote for whatever wears the right colour, no matter the policies or how they sit in the current climate

I was thinking of voting for your lot, then remembered the way your MPs voted for tuition fees at the first sniff of power...

May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 11:24 - May 20 with 1635 viewsElderGrizzly

May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 11:19 - May 20 by bluelagos

I was thinking of voting for your lot, then remembered the way your MPs voted for tuition fees at the first sniff of power...

It's called coalition unfortunately and some things have to be traded. Yet it was our policy/influence that was pushing the minimum tax threshold to £10k

The only coalition this time round could be Labour, SNP and us. And that would need all kind of miracles to come off.
May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 11:30 - May 20 with 1608 viewsJ2BLUE

May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 11:15 - May 20 by ElderGrizzly

I fully agree.

Truly impaired.

May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 11:34 - May 20 with 1600 viewsfactual_blue

May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 10:46 - May 20 by ElderGrizzly

More terrifying than Abbott as Home Secretary? :)

Yes.

fox-werritty is a crook.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 11:36 - May 20 with 1588 viewsElderGrizzly

May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 11:30 - May 20 by J2BLUE

I fully agree.

This is a good site too. Every time a party reveals a policy or make a claim about the other they factcheck it

https://fullfact.org/
May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 11:42 - May 20 with 1570 viewsbluelagos

May Intends to Appoint Liam Fox as Chancellor on 11:24 - May 20 by ElderGrizzly

It's called coalition unfortunately and some things have to be traded. Yet it was our policy/influence that was pushing the minimum tax threshold to £10k

The only coalition this time round could be Labour, SNP and us. And that would need all kind of miracles to come off.

So if the Tories got say 310 and the Libs 30, they wouldn't enter another coalition? If that a firm pledge?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024