Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Titus signs for Stowmarket 08:12 - Aug 11 with 6345 viewshype313

They must have some serious money behind them.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

on 08:20 - Aug 11 with 6330 views_

Titus signs for Stowmarket on 08:26 - Aug 11 with 6309 viewsclive_baker

To be fair to Titus and to Stowmarket, while they are spending some cash (and did the same last season to achieve promotion), it's not overly silly levels of investment relative to teams around them, especially now they're in Premier. He wont be on anything like silly money. The difference between £10k a year and £20k a year probably doesn't matter too much to a bloke that's earned 3x that in a week for a number of years. He's there for the football, and fair play to him.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2017 8:28]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Titus signs for Stowmarket on 08:35 - Aug 11 with 6269 viewsportmanking

Titus signs for Stowmarket on 08:26 - Aug 11 by clive_baker

To be fair to Titus and to Stowmarket, while they are spending some cash (and did the same last season to achieve promotion), it's not overly silly levels of investment relative to teams around them, especially now they're in Premier. He wont be on anything like silly money. The difference between £10k a year and £20k a year probably doesn't matter too much to a bloke that's earned 3x that in a week for a number of years. He's there for the football, and fair play to him.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2017 8:28]

I confirmed this was happening a couple of days ago!

Stow's captain, Danny Cunningham is said to be on £350 a week, so it's reasonable money at that level. You'd imagine Titus will be on a comparable amount to Cunningham, if not more.

As far as I'm aware, Stow's manager, Rick Andrews is the one with the money. I'm told he's got more money than sense from an insurance business. It's rather like when Mark Morsley pumped his money in from his businesses into Needham. Will be very surprised if Stow don't go up again and so they should, the town is plenty big enough for a Ryman Prem/Div 1 side.
Titus signs for Stowmarket on 08:38 - Aug 11 with 6241 viewsBOjK

on 08:20 - Aug 11 by _

What level are Stowmarket at?

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

Titus signs for Stowmarket on 08:46 - Aug 11 with 6205 viewsclive_baker

Titus signs for Stowmarket on 08:35 - Aug 11 by portmanking

Stow's captain, Danny Cunningham is said to be on £350 a week, so it's reasonable money at that level. You'd imagine Titus will be on a comparable amount to Cunningham, if not more.

As far as I'm aware, Stow's manager, Rick Andrews is the one with the money. I'm told he's got more money than sense from an insurance business. It's rather like when Mark Morsley pumped his money in from his businesses into Needham. Will be very surprised if Stow don't go up again and so they should, the town is plenty big enough for a Ryman Prem/Div 1 side.

It is reasonable money. It's not ridiculous though, when you consider that's an outlier, the average will be much less. I was playing in Ryman 1 and Premier 5 years ago with people earning £600 a game. I know it's a higher standard but that was then, and they're only 1 promotion from Ryman 1.

You're right, Stowmarket should be able to support a club at a higher level than where they're at. For whoever asked they've recently been promoted to Thurlow Nunn Prem, which is essentially the 9th tier of English football.

Titus signs for Stowmarket on 08:47 - Aug 11 with 6202 viewstextbackup

fair play to him, really decent bloke and obviously just wanting to play football as certainly doesn't need the money

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Titus signs for Stowmarket on 08:54 - Aug 11 with 6153 viewsportmanking

Titus signs for Stowmarket on 08:46 - Aug 11 by clive_baker

It is reasonable money. It's not ridiculous though, when you consider that's an outlier, the average will be much less. I was playing in Ryman 1 and Premier 5 years ago with people earning £600 a game. I know it's a higher standard but that was then, and they're only 1 promotion from Ryman 1.

You're right, Stowmarket should be able to support a club at a higher level than where they're at. For whoever asked they've recently been promoted to Thurlow Nunn Prem, which is essentially the 9th tier of English football.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm under no illusions as to how rich even the semi-pro game has now got. But £1.4k a month is pretty solid money for what is an entirely amateur division.

Stow have certainly done well at cherry-picking some of the best talent elsewhere. I believe they've pillaged Bury Town's best youngsters, so it will be interesting to see how they shape up. They've got Felixstowe this weekend who will also be challenging up the top this season I believe.
Titus signs for Stowmarket on 08:58 - Aug 11 with 6135 viewsclive_baker

Titus signs for Stowmarket on 08:54 - Aug 11 by portmanking

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm under no illusions as to how rich even the semi-pro game has now got. But £1.4k a month is pretty solid money for what is an entirely amateur division.

Stow have certainly done well at cherry-picking some of the best talent elsewhere. I believe they've pillaged Bury Town's best youngsters, so it will be interesting to see how they shape up. They've got Felixstowe this weekend who will also be challenging up the top this season I believe.

Titus is on less than that, but I hear you.

Stow have just taken Billy Clark too I believe, the one who had the ego at Town. Will be interesting to see how they do this season, I would like to see as many Suffolk teams playing in the Ryman Premier league and higher as possible.

Login to get fewer ads

Titus signs for Stowmarket on 09:21 - Aug 11 with 6042 viewsflimflam

Heard this a couple of weeks ago.

Also heard that a young Mr Dyer might make an appearance too.

Stow will walk the league this year as got a ridiculous squad for that level but should be competing with the Leistons and Needhams of this world TBH.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Titus signs for Stowmarket on 09:40 - Aug 11 with 5944 viewsartsbossbeard

Titus signs for Stowmarket on 08:54 - Aug 11 by portmanking

Plenty has changed since my retirement then. It was always little brown envelopes after the match but the tax man didn't like that for some strange reason. I think I played for the only club who couldn't afford to pay their players for my 2 full appearances (subbed both) and my own spot on the bench the rest of the time.

I also remember the time when some of the SIL teams started paying players decent money and this got a few Jewson league standard players playing downwards as the money v midweek travel v commitment made the SIL a decent option.

£1.4k minus tax is still a decent amount, of course.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Titus signs for Stowmarket on 09:42 - Aug 11 with 5923 viewsReuser_is_God

Titus signs for Stowmarket on 08:58 - Aug 11 by clive_baker

Titus is on less than that, but I hear you.

Stow have just taken Billy Clark too I believe, the one who had the ego at Town. Will be interesting to see how they do this season, I would like to see as many Suffolk teams playing in the Ryman Premier league and higher as possible.

Local non league stuff seems to be of a really good standard currently.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Titus signs for Stowmarket on 09:49 - Aug 11 with 5900 viewsCoastalblue

Titus signs for Stowmarket on 09:40 - Aug 11 by artsbossbeard

Plenty has changed since my retirement then. It was always little brown envelopes after the match but the tax man didn't like that for some strange reason. I think I played for the only club who couldn't afford to pay their players for my 2 full appearances (subbed both) and my own spot on the bench the rest of the time.

I also remember the time when some of the SIL teams started paying players decent money and this got a few Jewson league standard players playing downwards as the money v midweek travel v commitment made the SIL a decent option.

£1.4k minus tax is still a decent amount, of course.

I'm not going to mention names but a friend of mine was secretary of an Essex Ryman Prem side for a long while. I can remember watching with him 10+ years ago when he would get very twitchy towards the last 10 minutes of a game if they hadn't conceded. A win and a clean sheet bonus was around £1500.

That was nowhere near sustainable and they paid the price but the money floating around is crazy. Canvey and Dartford are two that spring to mind in the past.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Titus signs for Stowmarket on 09:57 - Aug 11 with 5854 viewsBOjK

Holy moly, they are still only in the Thurlow Nunn? Good lord that's a lot of money for that level.

There have always been nonleague clubs who rise to an unsustainable level only to go straight back. Round my way Histon have followed that path as the money has dried up. They've got a nice ground and great academy, but have fallen through the divisions. I hear they haven't been paying their first team for a long time.

On a less dramatic level Royston Town have accumulated a pretty astonishing squad as they kick off their campaign in the Southern League Premier. That's a tough league this time round though with Hereford in there too.

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

Titus signs for Stowmarket on 10:03 - Aug 11 with 5837 viewsPhilTWTD

Titus signs for Stowmarket on 09:21 - Aug 11 by flimflam

Heard this a couple of weeks ago.

Also heard that a young Mr Dyer might make an appearance too.

Stow will walk the league this year as got a ridiculous squad for that level but should be competing with the Leistons and Needhams of this world TBH.

Less likely with Kieron, I would have thought, although I've not asked him, as the U16s play on Saturdays.

The Bury Free Press story which revealed Titus was set to join last week also mentions they've signed Billy Clark (says Billy Clarke but means Billy Clark, Billy Clarke was playing for Charlton in the friendly the other week).

http://www.buryfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/non-league/stow-sign-clarke-as-bra
Titus signs for Stowmarket on 10:08 - Aug 11 with 5815 viewsITFC_Forever

Money talks all the way down the pyramid.

Many of you will know my bro-in-law played Conference / L2 for over fifteen years.

In the early / mid-00s. one of the sides he played for in what is now the Conference South were paying their best players £2500 - £3000 per week. Several of them rejected moves to L1 / L2 sides as the money would have been less.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Titus signs for Stowmarket on 10:23 - Aug 11 with 5732 viewsitfcjoe

I'd heard Stow are paying a few players closer to £650 a week currently, know they offered that to someone playing in Ryman Prem locally that didn't drop down to them - but a number are

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Titus signs for Stowmarket on 09:32 - Aug 12 with 5376 viewshype313

To be fair Titus doesn't need the money so he's probably playing for free.

Even £350 a week is peanuts given his pension.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Titus signs for Stowmarket on 09:54 - Aug 12 with 5329 viewsWallingford_Boy

Titus signs for Stowmarket on 10:03 - Aug 11 by PhilTWTD

Less likely with Kieron, I would have thought, although I've not asked him, as the U16s play on Saturdays.

The Bury Free Press story which revealed Titus was set to join last week also mentions they've signed Billy Clark (says Billy Clarke but means Billy Clark, Billy Clarke was playing for Charlton in the friendly the other week).

http://www.buryfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/non-league/stow-sign-clarke-as-bra

I assume he's still working with our academy though?

RIP Sir Bobby

Titus signs for Stowmarket on 11:51 - Aug 12 with 5207 viewsTMWWNGAS

Titus signs for Stowmarket on 09:54 - Aug 12 by Wallingford_Boy

Can guarantee you he won't be playing for free! Some of the figures quoted on here are ridiculous I used to be involved with wanderers a few years back and i reckon the whole playing budget probably wouldn't cover 2 stow players on these figures, unless things have changed a bit.
At the end of the day football is the same at all levels. Just the higher up you go the more zeros you add on the end
Titus signs for Stowmarket on 13:10 - Aug 12 with 5139 viewsTractorWood

Titus signs for Stowmarket on 09:57 - Aug 11 by BOjK

Holy moly, they are still only in the Thurlow Nunn? Good lord that's a lot of money for that level.

There have always been nonleague clubs who rise to an unsustainable level only to go straight back. Round my way Histon have followed that path as the money has dried up. They've got a nice ground and great academy, but have fallen through the divisions. I hear they haven't been paying their first team for a long time.

On a less dramatic level Royston Town have accumulated a pretty astonishing squad as they kick off their campaign in the Southern League Premier. That's a tough league this time round though with Hereford in there too.

Funnily enough someone mentioned Histon's downfall to me last week, which I hadn't realised. Decent side a few years ago.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Titus signs for Stowmarket on 13:31 - Aug 12 with 5090 viewsLuk38644

Danny Cunningham is on £350 a week?!

I used to play against him at 6-a-side in Copleston and he often tore it up, but surprised he's on that amount!
[Post edited 12 Aug 2017 14:06]
Titus signs for Stowmarket on 13:53 - Aug 12 with 5043 viewsPhilTWTD

Titus signs for Stowmarket on 09:54 - Aug 12 by Wallingford_Boy

Yes, but I think Titus is involved with the U13s or U14s who play their games on Sundays.
on 15:31 - Aug 12 with 4913 views_

Titus signs for Stowmarket on 13:31 - Aug 12 by Luk38644

Danny Cunningham is on £350 a week?!

I used to play against him at 6-a-side in Copleston and he often tore it up, but surprised he's on that amount!
[Post edited 12 Aug 2017 14:06]

Titus signs for Stowmarket on 17:44 - Aug 12 with 4826 views3_5_2

Beaten today by Felixstowe & Walton United in a great game. Titus taken off second half and they collapsed. He barely broke sweat at this level, even at 36

I'm sure Stow will be there or there abouts but the money being paid to some players in non league is madness in my view but like the pro game, you can't blame the players if it's offered.

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Titus signs for Stowmarket on 18:10 - Aug 12 with 4780 viewsLuk38644

on 15:31 - Aug 12 by _

He's certainly rapid, I was defending against him once and I'm more of a technical, all rounded player who's not blessed with speed, and he literally just shifted the ball ahead of me and was gone. Can't defend that.

He scored some wonder goal that was on Soccer AM not long ago.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024