Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Warky Report: Bolton (h) 16:36 - Sep 17 with 1098 viewsWarkystache

Summer's nearly gone. The weather this week was cold and wet and a cause of disquiet amongst my peers and colleagues. Birmingham, recently mired in the 'Dustman Strike', has slowly been getting back to normality; wet, windy and grey. ITFC had started to go the same way; two defeats pricking that balloon of optimism we all enjoyed in August.

I haven't seen much of Terry this week. That's due partly to work commitments and mainly to his father-in-law being hospitalised after suffering a potential stroke at Tel's brother-in-law's place at Stisted. Terry's therefore been the conduit between Mrs Tel and Broomfield Hospital, a role that has (largely) kept him away from home and the shop when I've been going in.

I had a text from him on Tuesday. It said "Mrs dad been taken to hosp not felling well will call you T". In the event, I called him at 8.30pm. He was on his way back from Chelmsford, Mrs Tel having accepted an offer to stay with her brother and his wife in Stisted so she could be on hand when needed. He sounded tired. "Dunno what's 'appening with the poor ole boy" he murmured, his car phone speaker making him sound like a cockney Dalek. "'E's in a right old state - 'e needs new jim jams and a dressin' gown so I'm off to Clacton Common tomorra. I'll see ya in the shop in the mornin'".

So Wednesday morning saw me in the shop at 6.45am, talking to him about the situation. "'E collapsed at 'ome on Monday, the silly old duffer was tryin' to walk to the lav 'cos 'e 'ates usin' 'is commode". He gave me his weekly football bet coupon for Saturday but it was clear his picking powers had deserted him; Birmingham, Leicester, Liverpool and Spurs all failed to win.

I never saw him again all week. Paula, his assistant, was in charge on Thursday and I had an early meeting to attend on Friday, so never got the chance to see if he'd made it in. Saturday dawned cloudy but with fleeting glimpses of the sun. I spent the early morning being again served by Paula as Tel had been to the hospital last night until late and had chosen to spend it with Mrs Tel in Braintree with his brother-in-law. "He'll be back later, text him" said Paula. I did, but he was still in Stisted. His reply was short: " doKnow what time we wil be back, mite stay all wkend, have let P now".

So I've not had the opportunity to bring him up to date with the Bolton game. He usually demands a report from me on Sunday, but he wasn't there when I went earlier for fags and a Times. If he'd been there, I'd have said we were one-dimensional first half but picked up a bit in the second and Skuse scored, an occurrence rarer than rocking-horse sh*t as he calls it when we actually play well.

I made the pub at 12.00. It was packed, making the 14,000 crowd inside PR a bit of a mystery. Perhaps folk just turn up at the pub in their home shirts and don't bother with the game? We drank and ate and did all that and chatted about QPR away, which two friends saw and which I was ribbed for not making (by the way, Neil's dad had an inner ear infection so it wasn't as nasty as first thought). The general feeling was that we'd reverted back to long ball b*llocks. 'Oh joy' I said.

So on to PR and that dire first half. Whilst watching, I couldn't help but notice how dirty the roof of the SAR was looking. Luke at half-time was in a less charitable mood "Sh*t innit?' he glowered "Ward and Iorfa look terrible". As it was, youngster Callum Connolly was sacrificed during the break, a surprise as he could've justifiably hooked Iorfa, whose 'Bambi on Ice' scrabblings at the back had led to several sharp intakes of breath from those around me. It said much that Section 6 started the 'Dominic Iorfa' song and it died quick, like a fart in a gale.

I was pleased he gave Celina a run, and the 'Tequila' song was a popular one on the train home. He was like a breath of fresh air. Surely, despite Mick's misgivings, the lad should start? He's the main thrust.

So 2-0, rare and lovely goals from Skusey and Didz, the 300 odd Bolton fans nowhere to be seen outside. The train home was full of joy, tinged with trepidation at the first half display and who we've got coming up. I hope we can play better against Leeds and Sunderland and Brizzle, or those three might take more advantage than a poor-looking Bolton. No need for the 'Barry Knight - walrus of love' comments some bloke made on the train going in. We never looked seriously in trouble.

Got back and texted Tel, who was still in Broomfield. "Looks better should be home 2moz" he replied. Then he called me at 11am this morning to say they were home, the old boy was sleeping and the hospital would look at him again tomorrow. He had woken up and spoken to them, which was positive. Tel asked if I fancied a pint tomorrow night and I said yes. Be good to see him again.

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

The Warky Report: Bolton (h) on 23:21 - Sep 17 with 907 viewsallezlesbleus

"making him sound like a cockney Dalek".........quality!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024