Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hamstring pull - 10 days in 10:00 - Sep 21 with 3571 viewsartsbossbeard

Right, can anyone who has suffered one advise if I'm the right track in terms of expected recovery, please? I do know that I'm not going to be playing footy or spinning for a few weeks still.

So, still ouchy if I happen to move it in a direction that it doesn't want to move in but no issues when walking on the flat & downhill but a bit achy uphill. No longer sore to the touch but I'll feel a tweak walking upstairs on every 3rd/4th step.

Is this to be expected? I'm walking 45mins each day just to stay active with no real issue.

If it's roughly still the same this time next week, shall I engage a physio?

Thoughts welcomed
ABB

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Hamstring pull - 10 days in on 10:07 - Sep 21 with 3543 viewsBasuco

You need to see a sports physio urgently, you need professional advice to recover from a sports injury and it is not usually complete rest in my experience.
Hamstring pull - 10 days in on 10:12 - Sep 21 with 3525 viewsartsbossbeard

Hamstring pull - 10 days in on 10:07 - Sep 21 by Basuco

You need to see a sports physio urgently, you need professional advice to recover from a sports injury and it is not usually complete rest in my experience.

But when I did my calf a couple of years ago, he nearly killed me..

Yep, I'm of the same thinking,to be honest, but just wondering if I'm about right timewise/recovery-wise.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

Hamstring pull - 10 days in on 10:23 - Sep 21 with 3501 viewsuncle

I'd certainly speak to a physio

Hamstring pulls, snaps, rips, detachments etc were the thing that ruined me football wise. A lost my pace over a couple of years by the age of 22-ish, so had to change my game.

So baring in mind that i may well be OTT here, but just take it slow. If you feel a tweak - Stop.
If it feels weak, take it slow. And when it feels fine - take it slow.
When i pulled mine i'd end up giving myself 6-8 weeks.
Hamstring pull - 10 days in on 10:26 - Sep 21 with 3498 viewsartsbossbeard

Hamstring pull - 10 days in on 10:23 - Sep 21 by uncle

Hamstring pulls, snaps, rips, detachments etc were the thing that ruined me football wise. A lost my pace over a couple of years by the age of 22-ish, so had to change my game.

So baring in mind that i may well be OTT here, but just take it slow. If you feel a tweak - Stop.

Yep, cheers. I was thinking the same sort of timescale but I'm sooo bored of not exercising currently..

Got a physio apt tomorrow afternoon booked now. Think I just needed to hear a couple of people tell me it was the right thing to do.

Hamstring pull - 10 days in on 10:29 - Sep 21 with 3483 viewshype313

Hamstring pull - 10 days in on 10:23 - Sep 21 by uncle

Agree, I felt a tweak at 7 a side 6 weeks ago and just left it for that period,played last Monday, made sure I stretched, and it was fine.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Hamstring pull - 10 days in on 10:46 - Sep 21 with 3449 viewsgerard1947

Pulled my calf about 6 weeks ago playing five a side in a team including my son and grandsons. Should have known better!

Anyway went to town with the ice pack, had it on for several hours over a couple of days. I also took anti inflammatory pills for about 5 days. It started to feel better after about 24 hours and ok to walk. It took about 3 weeks before I felt like pushing it.

Getting the ice on quickly always helps in my opinion, bearing in mind I'm no expert.
Hamstring pull - 10 days in on 12:02 - Sep 21 with 3375 viewsgordon

It's really important to go through a program of strengthening exercises as it gets better. In my early twenties I had a couple of seasons where I would get a few pulled hamstrings a year, was very frustrating, but I didn't do any proper strengthening as I recovered, I just waited till it didn't hurt anymore, and started playing again.

Eventually I realised that every time you pull/tear it a bit, afterwards it's weaker (muscle is replaced with scar tissue), so if you neglect doing proper strengthening afterwards, you're at higher risk of pinging it again. Once you've done it a few times, you're in danger. But if you start doing proper strengthening after an injury, it should be OK - I think a lot of chronic hamstring problems start with people not taking the first one seriously enough (certainly was the case with me).
Hamstring pull - 10 days in on 12:14 - Sep 21 with 3358 viewsuncle

Hamstring pull - 10 days in on 10:26 - Sep 21 by artsbossbeard

Yep, cheers. I was thinking the same sort of timescale but I'm sooo bored of not exercising currently..

Got a physio apt tomorrow afternoon booked now. Think I just needed to hear a couple of people tell me it was the right thing to do.

I ended up wearing stupidly tight, thick, strong supports on my left thigh as well, and once i did that (and warmed the muscle up properly) i didnt have anymore time out with pulls and the like and played merrily for another 20 years (just given up)
So maybe ask the physio about that, at least for the short term while you build strength up again.
Login to get fewer ads

Hamstring pull - 10 days in on 12:26 - Sep 21 with 3336 viewsLeBlue

I have pulled more hamstrings more times than I care to remember over 25 years of playing football.

Your recovery so far sounds about right. I also found that the first couple of weeks showed rapid improvement but the next 4 are slower. In fact, at about week three, it generally felt perfect for day to day activity but this is where you run the risk of getting out on the pitch again and it going again (there is generally no warning). It's one of those injuries that I would suggest you get physio on as they need to massage/ultrasound out the scar tissue.

Also, when you think its better, wait an extra week - I've gone back a bit too early a few times and you are then back to square one.
Hamstring pull - 10 days in on 13:00 - Sep 21 with 3310 viewsBasuco

Hamstring pull - 10 days in on 10:12 - Sep 21 by artsbossbeard

But when I did my calf a couple of years ago, he nearly killed me..

Yep, I'm of the same thinking,to be honest, but just wondering if I'm about right timewise/recovery-wise.

Actually the biggest problem is that the body compensates for an injury, a sports physio told me it takes him far longer for him to sort out the issues due to these compensations than the original injury.
Hamstring pull - 10 days in on 13:07 - Sep 21 with 3303 viewsclive_baker

Definitely see a physio if you can. From my experience don't rush it back, or you'll do more damage. When it feels like you're fit again, you're probably a month away. Ease yourself back with a light cycle etc. and if you feel it giving you pain stop .

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Hamstring pull - 10 days in on 13:18 - Sep 21 with 3280 viewsI_LOVE_GOLLOB

Is that why I didn't line up against you Sunday? That's presuming you're still paying for Old Times?

Poll: How would you kill a budgie?

Hamstring pull - 10 days in on 14:09 - Sep 21 with 3223 viewsartsbossbeard

Hamstring pull - 10 days in on 12:26 - Sep 21 by LeBlue

I have pulled more hamstrings more times than I care to remember over 25 years of playing football.

Your recovery so far sounds about right. I also found that the first couple of weeks showed rapid improvement but the next 4 are slower. In fact, at about week three, it generally felt perfect for day to day activity but this is where you run the risk of getting out on the pitch again and it going again (there is generally no warning). It's one of those injuries that I would suggest you get physio on as they need to massage/ultrasound out the scar tissue.

Also, when you think its better, wait an extra week - I've gone back a bit too early a few times and you are then back to square one.

Super, cheers for this. Physio booked for tomorrow now too.

Hamstring pull - 10 days in on 14:10 - Sep 21 with 3217 viewsartsbossbeard

Hamstring pull - 10 days in on 13:18 - Sep 21 by I_LOVE_GOLLOB

Is that why I didn't line up against you Sunday? That's presuming you're still paying for Old Times?

Yep, gutted.

Being proper enjoying it in pre-season, but hey ho.

Hamstring pull - 10 days in on 14:15 - Sep 21 with 3204 viewsGlasgowBlue

Hamstring pull - 10 days in on 13:07 - Sep 21 by clive_baker

Definitely see a physio if you can. From my experience don't rush it back, or you'll do more damage. When it feels like you're fit again, you're probably a month away. Ease yourself back with a light cycle etc. and if you feel it giving you pain stop .

I did my hamstring a couple of months ago and tried to come back too soon. Now i feel like it will go any minute, my knees are on fire every time I run and I'm getting terrible pain at the back of my legs behind the knee.

All from overcompensating from the hamstring injury.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Hamstring pull - 10 days in on 15:34 - Sep 22 with 3050 viewsartsbossbeard

Update, as I'm sure you'll interested.

Just seen the physio and I have indeed pulled my hamstring but he feels that I should be back playing footy in a less than 3wks, which is great. I've got stretches to do and I can cycle as of now too.

Interesting off the back of GB's post in that I've over-compensated with my hips post injury, so I've also got to do stretches on these to re-align.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2017 15:45]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024