Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Teams like West Brom and Swansea 00:14 - Nov 19 with 6790 viewsDubtractor

How is it possible to be long established Premier League teams, with all the money that it brings, and yet have such an utterly average/poor squad of players?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Teams like West Brom and Swansea on 00:20 - Nov 19 with 6760 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Good management when they get there.

Bringing Pulis in to make them a steady premiership side was the best thing WBA could've possibly done

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Teams like West Brom and Swansea on 00:37 - Nov 19 with 6728 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Teams like West Brom and Swansea on 00:20 - Nov 19 by The_Romford_Blue

Good management when they get there.

Bringing Pulis in to make them a steady premiership side was the best thing WBA could've possibly done

Utter Tosh.
WBA were already a steady Premier League side until Hodgson went to England.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Teams like West Brom and Swansea on 00:42 - Nov 19 with 6719 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Teams like West Brom and Swansea on 00:37 - Nov 19 by Cheltenham_Blue

Utter Tosh.
WBA were already a steady Premier League side until Hodgson went to England.

I'd argue that Hodgson had one season where they punched well above their weight.

But up until the Pulis era, staying up was the target.

Now the target under him for them is top 8-10 which shows how far they've come in my opinion.

Teams like West Brom and Swansea on 00:47 - Nov 19 with 6703 viewsMaySixth

because they are small clubs at heart who are not particularly progressive

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Teams like West Brom and Swansea on 00:51 - Nov 19 with 6696 viewsDubtractor

Teams like West Brom and Swansea on 00:42 - Nov 19 by The_Romford_Blue

I'd argue that Hodgson had one season where they punched well above their weight.

But up until the Pulis era, staying up was the target.

Now the target under him for them is top 8-10 which shows how far they've come in my opinion.

That's not really my point though, which is that having been there as long as they have you'd hope to have better players.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Teams like West Brom and Swansea on 01:13 - Nov 19 with 6670 viewshoppy

Teams like West Brom and Swansea on 00:51 - Nov 19 by Dubtractor

That's not really my point though, which is that having been there as long as they have you'd hope to have better players.

Maybe their players are of a reasonable enough quality to maintain their position but not to push on beyond that. Probably not dissimilar to our premier league squad when we did so well in that first season after play off win. I still think If we’d not overachieved to the extreme that we did, that it would’ve been to our advantage to slowly establish ourselves in mid table.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Teams like West Brom and Swansea on 01:32 - Nov 19 with 6653 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Oh I see

Teams like West Brom and Swansea on 03:48 - Nov 19 with 6610 viewsSwansea_Blue

Because it's a player and manager treadmill. They get there by doing something well or different. But each season good players or managers are poached and they're constantly having to unearth good players on the relative cheap. There's only so long you can continue to do that before it catches up with you (we had the condensed version in our last relegation season; get there off the back of momentum and excellent team spirit, and then over-achieve and it all goes pear shaped if the new additions don't gel).

In Swansea's case they've also been taken over by a bunch of football dunces. Both clubs currently bottom of the PL are run by American hedge fund managers who know nothing about the game (mirroring our struggles under ME).

It might seem like a lot of money, but the salaries and transfer fees are obscene. Small teams like that are always going to struggle in the end. Burnley doing brilliantly this season, but I bet they'd struggle if they lost Dyche.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2017 3:57]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Teams like West Brom and Swansea on 09:19 - Nov 19 with 6401 viewsfactual_blue

Unless they produce talented players themselves - or get lucky with a young foreign player looking to get noticed by the bigger clubs - they're never going to have the prestige and/or the money of Utd, City, Liverpool etc. I doubt they've got the international scouting resources of those clubs either.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Teams like West Brom and Swansea on 09:23 - Nov 19 with 6395 viewsbluewein

Maybe something to do with the fact that the premier league isn’t as great as it’s made out to be.

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Teams like West Brom and Swansea on 09:55 - Nov 19 with 6342 viewsstrikalite

Average players compared to the top sides, I guess it goes to show that there are a lot of players who are very similar in quality overall, they're all such good athletes now that not many players truly stand out in games, the cream in the top sides do obviously, but look how much they have cost(City, Chelsea), it's just crazy that a West Brom can spend £15-20m on a player who can look bang average, but then now and again they can show their worth which is why the league is so close....apart from the top sides..
Teams like West Brom and Swansea on 10:34 - Nov 19 with 6275 viewsGuthrum

Probably because there is a relatively small pool of extremely good players, all of which are hoovered up by the vastly more wealthy top half dozen Prem teams (and their handful of counterparts in Spain, France and Germany). Everyone else has to make do with mostly average-to-poor Prem-standard footballers (who are a little better than their Championship equivalent, but not that much).

Occasionally, they may breed, discover or splash out on a more talented individual (e.g. Mahrez). But that is pretty rare.

Plus they are forced to go into an overly defensive mode in the highest-profile matches due to being outclassed by those very big fish. Too much attacking is likely to result in comprehensive demolition (and the manager losing his job). The much shorter Prem season leaves a lot less leeway to compensate for five or six serious hammerings with better results against more "average" opposition and whoever the whipping-boys are that time around (there's always a couple of teams where the wheels have come off).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Teams like West Brom and Swansea on 10:42 - Nov 19 with 6262 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Whats your definition of average? Average prem yes fair enough. Thats because they are more or less Average prem teams. Certainly not poor squads are they. Taking West Brom they have a mix of very good players and underated players. Johnny Evans for example quite frankly would be a starter for Liverpool for example in my opinion (not a 'fashionable' name but a top ball playing centre back). Rondon looks unplayable on his day but not consistent. Chadli is a top player and they've got some excellent players like Barry, Livermore (not convinced he should be starting for zengland but good prem player) Rodriguez (would have more England caps but for injury) Gibbs, Brunt etc. I look at their squad and think thats a mid table squad to be honest. It would walk the championship.

There are no weak teams in the prem. in paper Huddersfield and Brighton would look the least equiped.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Teams like West Brom and Swansea on 10:46 - Nov 19 with 6254 viewsstrikalite

Teams like West Brom and Swansea on 10:34 - Nov 19 by Guthrum

Probably because there is a relatively small pool of extremely good players, all of which are hoovered up by the vastly more wealthy top half dozen Prem teams (and their handful of counterparts in Spain, France and Germany). Everyone else has to make do with mostly average-to-poor Prem-standard footballers (who are a little better than their Championship equivalent, but not that much).

Occasionally, they may breed, discover or splash out on a more talented individual (e.g. Mahrez). But that is pretty rare.

Plus they are forced to go into an overly defensive mode in the highest-profile matches due to being outclassed by those very big fish. Too much attacking is likely to result in comprehensive demolition (and the manager losing his job). The much shorter Prem season leaves a lot less leeway to compensate for five or six serious hammerings with better results against more "average" opposition and whoever the whipping-boys are that time around (there's always a couple of teams where the wheels have come off).

Also, there are quality players still out there for the lesser Clubs in the Prem to come in and shine and make a difference, they're not all bang average, we mustn't forget that, Kante of Leicester now at Chelsea to name just one, there have been a lot over the years who make that next step up who have entered the Prem with a lesser side and stood out from the rest..
Teams like West Brom and Swansea on 10:58 - Nov 19 with 6236 viewsGuthrum

Teams like West Brom and Swansea on 10:46 - Nov 19 by strikalite

Also, there are quality players still out there for the lesser Clubs in the Prem to come in and shine and make a difference, they're not all bang average, we mustn't forget that, Kante of Leicester now at Chelsea to name just one, there have been a lot over the years who make that next step up who have entered the Prem with a lesser side and stood out from the rest..

But it isn't long before they, like Kante, are hoovered up by the big boys. Generally only gives a season or so to make things count before you've lost your bright star.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Teams like West Brom and Swansea on 11:05 - Nov 19 with 6230 viewstextbackup

they end up filling squads with relegated players (good champ players) or prem wages. snodgrasses of this world

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Teams like West Brom and Swansea on 11:18 - Nov 19 with 6208 viewsstrikalite

Teams like West Brom and Swansea on 10:58 - Nov 19 by Guthrum

But it isn't long before they, like Kante, are hoovered up by the big boys. Generally only gives a season or so to make things count before you've lost your bright star.

Well yeah that'll probably always be the case, but at least the likes of Swansea or the lesser sides know it's possible to find these players and bring them in, probably because the wages here even at the lesser sides are so much better than in Germany or Italy for example..

Agents have a lot to answer for now, pushing players to move on for the big buck whilst sitting on the bench somewhere, now the lesser Clubs can pay big bucks too, hopefully players are considering this before making their move..
Teams like West Brom and Swansea on 12:39 - Nov 19 with 6135 viewsbournemouthblue

Teams like West Brom and Swansea on 00:47 - Nov 19 by MaySixth

because they are small clubs at heart who are not particularly progressive

What does that make us?

For the most part Swansea and WBA have had the quality to remain stable in the Prem. Swansea even won the League Cup?

What we'd do for some of that!

The reality is that at some stage, you're going to lose players for one reason or another and end up with an average batch. Enjoy the good times whilst they last!

You need to be the next tier of club to avoid relegation for the most part, the Evertons of this world never seem to have a problem but fail to ever fully rumble the big boys.

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Teams like West Brom and Swansea on 13:29 - Nov 19 with 6075 viewsstickymockwell

West Brom and Swansea will never have the money of the top teams.
I'd love to see Caps on Salaries, Caps on squad sizes and a mandatory 6 home grown players and a limit to 5 foreign players in any squad. It would never ever happen because money talks, but Spurs have proven that you can produce a great team with sensible wages and promoting youth.
If the FA were serious about grass roots football and not about billions of Quids then we might just one day have a chance of tournament win. It would also give the lower league teams a chance to dream.
I would be just as board watching Swansea and Brom as I am watching Ipswich

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: How many times have you looked at the table since full time yesterday?

Teams like West Brom and Swansea on 22:40 - Nov 19 with 5858 viewsBrettenhamBlue

Teams like West Brom and Swansea on 09:19 - Nov 19 by factual_blue

Unless they produce talented players themselves - or get lucky with a young foreign player looking to get noticed by the bigger clubs - they're never going to have the prestige and/or the money of Utd, City, Liverpool etc. I doubt they've got the international scouting resources of those clubs either.

Agree. Both clubs seem to have brought in a lot of players. Home grown talent is important.

MMcCarthyisaGod
Poll: Favourite ITFC victory of 2018?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024