Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How can we restablish Ipswich Town's identity? 16:11 - Jan 8 with 1670 viewsMaySixth

Feels like the most important thing about any club that connects fans, club, players is a shared identity of the club. A way of doing things that is sustainable, agreed and adhered to.

I think we've been without a clear identity for some time now.

What would you like to see as the Ipswich Town identity and how would you go about creating it?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a starter for ten, I would love the club to have it's own beliefs, our own way of doing things that guide everything we do.

We don’t just buy success, we breed it.

We don’t take shortcuts, we earn it.

it’s about high quality coaching and training helping players to gradually improve both as individuals and as a team, through practice.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2018 16:23]

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

How can we restablish Ipswich Town's identity? on 16:27 - Jan 8 with 1643 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Sounds like corny sound bites.

We need a strategy, not soundbites.

Seemed like we were getting somewhere with the academy providing more players again. Pity some are made of glass.

And I dont care what justification people give, we need more people through the gates... whether thats pricing or style of play, or a mix of both.

How on earth does someone get their son or daughter interested in following ITFC in its current malaise?!?!?

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

How can we restablish Ipswich Town's identity? on 16:31 - Jan 8 with 1643 viewsitfcjoe

The difficult thing is, success on the pitch outweighs every philosphy and everything else.

With it, everything is good - without it, everything is sh*t.

Whilst I'd love to see a 'whole club approach', if we were to go down we'd have to slash funding to the academy etc so ensuring we stay in Championship at worst is an absolute red line as key to everything we do.

the 'academy plan' has been revised and is more realistic now. For all that the 5 point plan looks like a back of the fag packet plan it does all make sense and is what we should strive towards.

I do think we need a sporting director to balancethings out - expecting a first team manager to cover the short term of results balanced against the long term of developing kids is far too much to ask. Mick has done this well on the whole, but is deeply unpopular now so has to go - and where does that leave us? Starting again.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

How can we restablish Ipswich Town's identity? on 16:45 - Jan 8 with 1587 viewsolimar

How can we restablish Ipswich Town's identity? on 16:31 - Jan 8 by itfcjoe

The difficult thing is, success on the pitch outweighs every philosphy and everything else.

Whilst I'd love to see a 'whole club approach', if we were to go down we'd have to slash funding to the academy etc so ensuring we stay in Championship at worst is an absolute red line as key to everything we do.

the 'academy plan' has been revised and is more realistic now. For all that the 5 point plan looks like a back of the fag packet plan it does all make sense and is what we should strive towards.

I do think we need a sporting director to balancethings out - expecting a first team manager to cover the short term of results balanced against the long term of developing kids is far too much to ask. Mick has done this well on the whole, but is deeply unpopular now so has to go - and where does that leave us? Starting again.

The 5 point plan is no different to what any other club in the whole world would see as the right things to do-
Get a core of key talented players
Buy talent in that you can develop
Bring through young players from the academy
Get a stable manager in place to bring consistency
To develop a team to play attractive football

Whats the strategy that allows us to outperform our peers, or those above us? Clearly, thats what we are going to need to do if we want to achieve anything, so just saying we want to do the same things that every other club will look to do doesnt get us anywhere.

Id rather see us say things like, in example, "disband the academy and focus all revenues on the first team" or "beyond our core of 5-6 experienced first teamers, every other player will come from the academy" or "We will only buy players under the age of 23 to develop".

At least with some kind of strategic thinking, it might make fans sit in and show a bit of patience, because they will know thats the way their team does things (has an identity).
I wonder how many fans would put up with the results we are getting now, if the entire team, bar a spine of Bart, Skuse, Chambers and Waghorn, were under 25?
How can we restablish Ipswich Town's identity? on 16:45 - Jan 8 with 1583 viewsMaySixth

How can we restablish Ipswich Town's identity? on 16:27 - Jan 8 by Marshalls_Mullet

Seemed like we were getting somewhere with the academy providing more players again. Pity some are made of glass.

And I dont care what justification people give, we need more people through the gates... whether thats pricing or style of play, or a mix of both.

How on earth does someone get their son or daughter interested in following ITFC in its current malaise?!?!?

All good points.

You need to start somewhere so maybe my soundbites could lead to a discussion about strategy.

How can we restablish Ipswich Town's identity? on 16:47 - Jan 8 with 1576 viewsMaySixth

How can we restablish Ipswich Town's identity? on 16:31 - Jan 8 by itfcjoe

I agree on the sporting director role Joe.

Do you see this as similar to Stuart Webber's role at Norwich?

How can we restablish Ipswich Town's identity? on 16:50 - Jan 8 with 1562 viewsolimar

How can we restablish Ipswich Town's identity? on 16:27 - Jan 8 by Marshalls_Mullet

Huddersfield had a clear identity towards their fans and their pricing, so do Bradford.
Regardless of their success, I bet there would have been more goodwill around what they were doing.
I recall they tried paper programmes, to love the costs, making them like in Germany. Fans complained that they wanted the old style, for their collections, so they changed them back. That speaks volumes at so many levels- willing to try something, willing to change it if it doesnt work.

Its been said on here loads of time, but Ipswich Town never lead, they always always follow- if a club does something, only when its an established success and everyone else is doing it will we follow.
Look at the FanZone- the club have had that huge bit of land doing nothing for years on end, but loads of other clubs had to do it before Ipswich decided they would give it a try.
How can we restablish Ipswich Town's identity? on 17:11 - Jan 8 with 1527 viewsmonty_radio

If, as people have, in effect, said, we adopted our own in-depth version of that 5 point plan (plus) you would need a cluster of top people at the club not only buying into it, but involved at significant, responsible levels. These would be people having a say at regular strategy meetings and updates, helping to keep one another on track.

'arry meets people like that at the golf club, but they're not football people. Even when watching Edie Howe's team he probably looks no further than the main man - a "system" would be a contrivance for betting on the 'orses.

A corporate plan needs a team that is visible, accountable and open so that club officials and fans alike can measure match activity against those aims.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2018 17:27]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

How can we restablish Ipswich Town's identity? on 17:53 - Jan 8 with 1475 viewsitfcjoe

How can we restablish Ipswich Town's identity? on 16:45 - Jan 8 by olimar

The 5 point plan is no different to what any other club in the whole world would see as the right things to do-
Get a core of key talented players
Buy talent in that you can develop
Bring through young players from the academy
Get a stable manager in place to bring consistency
To develop a team to play attractive football

Whats the strategy that allows us to outperform our peers, or those above us? Clearly, thats what we are going to need to do if we want to achieve anything, so just saying we want to do the same things that every other club will look to do doesnt get us anywhere.

Id rather see us say things like, in example, "disband the academy and focus all revenues on the first team" or "beyond our core of 5-6 experienced first teamers, every other player will come from the academy" or "We will only buy players under the age of 23 to develop".

At least with some kind of strategic thinking, it might make fans sit in and show a bit of patience, because they will know thats the way their team does things (has an identity).
I wonder how many fans would put up with the results we are getting now, if the entire team, bar a spine of Bart, Skuse, Chambers and Waghorn, were under 25?

I don't disagree with first sentance, but with regards to 'Bring through young players from the academy ' there are objectives that sit below this:

- To produce one player per season who makes a minimum of 5 appearances in the 1st team
- To produce one player per season who (as a loan player) makes regular appearance in the 1st team of a Football League Club
- To ensure that 3 players graduate from U18 squad to PDL squad
- To ensure a minimum of 60% of Scholars have come from Ipswich Town’s Academy registered schoolboys

If every one of the other objectives was fed into like this (it probably isn't) then it would help but it does feel like the club lacks direction of the pitch.

Ultimately though, how can you expect a first team manager to achieve these all with no support, and one of the objectives of 'attractive football' is so intangible - and who decides? Because for all Mick's qualities, and faults, he isn't someone who sets his side up to play 'attractive' football by most peoples definition.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024