Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Looking at it objectively - & objectivity be damned but still - a draw was right 15:28 - Feb 18 with 434 viewspatrickswell

Both sides controlled a half each. Norwich really came on strong second half but we defended well and Bart made saves when needed. While they were battering away at us, I kept saying to myself, “Just give us one chance. One chance.” And then it came. 89 minutes gone, and Chambers the man to do it. How glorious! In your face, Chris Reeve!
But as we saw last season, we only get 6 minutes of pleasure in this fixture, because any more than that would be getting above ourselves. I’m sure in his dreams tonight, Knudsen would have taken another touch or 2 before playing the ball to Waghorn or he would have gone to the corner flag. As for Bart, crucial saves but again an error from him gives Norwich their point. Was it an error though? He was always 2nd favourite for that ball and must have been afraid of giving a penalty away.

The defence, especially Carter-Vickers, played really well. Iorfa had a good game too. Midfield were great in the first half, but the second was agony to watch. As Norwich pinged it around and came at us with pace, I yearned for a time when any of Huws/Dozzell/Bishop/Adeyemi could be out there to throw the pressure back on them. Strikers worked hard, another assist for Waghorn. As for subs, who would have guessed that Spence would have the impact- winning the free-kick that brought the spell of possession and pressure leading to the goal.

Mick’s F off is going to be the story, it would have been even if we had held on to win. It wasn’t right though it showed the pressure he is under. Maybe for his own health, he should walk away to a new challenge. But the “Your football is...” song came through loud and clear on TV. I don’t know if that was us or the Budgies, but if it was us at 0-0, away from home in a local derby and under the cosh...Have a word with yourselves lads, there’s a time and place.

Had we won, I would have playfully suggested the play-offs were on again given what was coming out of Norwich in the run-up to it. Instead, it’s time to dread Wednesday night. If the players are drained by today (though I expect McCarthy will ring a few changes) then Cardiff under Warnock are dreadful opposition to come up against.

I’m philosophical now, later it will start to hurt for a bit. Though it’s of a piece with the life of an Ipswich fan these last few years. I hate Gary Weaver as a commentator- “They’re back in the conversation” no they aren’t, they’ve equalised, you fanny. But he hit the nail squarely on the head when he said that Ipswich’s disenchantment has been down to “16 years of the same scenery, regular FA Cup 3rd round exits, regular failure to win this fixture” and today was a microcosm of that: 45 minutes of decent work just lacking the polish to finish it off; 35 minutes of furrowed brows and worry; 6 minutes of joy/elation/unbridled happiness and hope only for it to die out the minute the cheer has finally left your lips. They’ll get you out of your seat, but only long enough to shove you back into it....it has been thus for far too long.

For all that, well done to the team for coming back from there with something, at least. And, just remember friends - we’re getting closer and we’ll do the bastards next year.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2018 15:37]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024