Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again 15:07 - Feb 18 with 5904 viewsMaySixth

three centre backs is the way forward

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again on 15:09 - Feb 18 with 5434 viewsDennyx4

Just need to have more invention in the midfield three
Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again on 15:15 - Feb 18 with 5421 viewsCoastalblue

I thught those three at the back looked well balanced and quality, first half we completely snuffed them out which started with Garner and Waggy up top and worked back from there.

If we could have a solid platform like that, but get a bit of creativity in the middle and a little more up top we would be very tough to beat, and might score a few too.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again on 15:18 - Feb 18 with 5393 viewschristiand

Yes they all did a good job today, great to see Webster back in action. I think it has to be Iorfa and Knudsen in the wide roles then as Spence lacks the athleticism and pace to get up and down that right flank.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again on 15:19 - Feb 18 with 5382 viewsStNeotsBlue

The 3 at the back will only succeed with two better full backs and you can't use it with three holding midfielders.
Carter Vickers does look a decent player though.
Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again on 15:20 - Feb 18 with 5379 viewsMaySixth

Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again on 15:09 - Feb 18 by Dennyx4

Just need to have more invention in the midfield three

we really miss Huws

Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again on 15:21 - Feb 18 with 5353 viewsnshearman1

Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again on 15:18 - Feb 18 by christiand

Yes they all did a good job today, great to see Webster back in action. I think it has to be Iorfa and Knudsen in the wide roles then as Spence lacks the athleticism and pace to get up and down that right flank.

Agreed that defensively we were pretty solid and agree about C-V. However, that set-up with those players increasingly left a gap between the defensive midfield and the front two, and the passing forward was pretty terrible. Or, as my son put it, 'no skill'.
Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again on 15:22 - Feb 18 with 5351 viewsMaySixth

Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again on 15:21 - Feb 18 by nshearman1

Agreed that defensively we were pretty solid and agree about C-V. However, that set-up with those players increasingly left a gap between the defensive midfield and the front two, and the passing forward was pretty terrible. Or, as my son put it, 'no skill'.

yes, we really miss Huws

Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again on 15:22 - Feb 18 with 5348 viewschristiand

Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again on 15:20 - Feb 18 by MaySixth

we really miss Huws

Yes, we haven't got anybody that is capable of making a defence splitting pass and adding that creative spark. All three: Skuse, Gleeson and Connolly are hard working midfielders that lack creativity, but did a job today.

Login to get fewer ads

Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again on 15:22 - Feb 18 with 5344 viewsHerbivore

Three at the back is no good for us. We don't have any wing backs and all of our creative midfielders are injured, plus we only have one ball playing centre back. All of that means you're relying solely on the front two to conjure something up out of nothing. It was fine today to match Norwich up and nearly worked but it's not the way forward for us.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again on 15:28 - Feb 18 with 5307 viewsDennyx4

Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again on 15:22 - Feb 18 by Herbivore

Three at the back is no good for us. We don't have any wing backs and all of our creative midfielders are injured, plus we only have one ball playing centre back. All of that means you're relying solely on the front two to conjure something up out of nothing. It was fine today to match Norwich up and nearly worked but it's not the way forward for us.

Think that's a little harsh - Carter-Vickers and Webster are comfortable on the ball .

I also like the way Iorfa pushes forward - he starts 10/15 yards further forward than Spence, just needs a little more composure.

Knudsen also has a good engine and can get up and down.

The biggest issue is we need a more creative/attacking central midfielder (Huws would have been ideal) as one of the three.
Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again on 15:30 - Feb 18 with 5291 viewschristiand

Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again on 15:22 - Feb 18 by Herbivore

You don't need all three CBs to be ball players, one is fine so Webster can feel that role. In the wide areas you need those players that have energy to get up and down both flanks, Spence is not capable and better in an orthodox flat back four. Based on today Iorfa and Knudsen could both do a job. Have they got the consistency to maintain it though?

The three in midfield your right Herbivore they are all pretty similar types of players. We lack a creative type and that midfielder that can get beyond the front two. I reckon that Huws could be the creative spark and Adeyemi could be the one that bursts forwards to create and score chances shame they are both injured. I wonder if this formation was MM's plan for this season all along?
[Post edited 18 Feb 2018 15:31]

Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again on 15:46 - Feb 18 with 5254 viewsCrock

Really? I thought he was poor. Nearly giftes Norwich a goal too.

Poll: Favourite number?

Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again on 15:53 - Feb 18 with 5236 viewsMaySixth

Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again on 15:46 - Feb 18 by Crock

Really? I thought he was poor. Nearly giftes Norwich a goal too.

He won an unbelievable amount of headers and tackles.

Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again on 15:55 - Feb 18 with 5223 viewspointofblue

Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again on 15:22 - Feb 18 by MaySixth

yes, we really miss Huws

And Adeyemi, Bishop, Dozzell... any two from those four (including Huws) in the middle of Skuse would have given us that extra bit of quality we needed.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again on 15:55 - Feb 18 with 5221 viewsDeano69

Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again on 15:22 - Feb 18 by christiand

Yes, we haven't got anybody that is capable of making a defence splitting pass and adding that creative spark. All three: Skuse, Gleeson and Connolly are hard working midfielders that lack creativity, but did a job today.

Hoping Flynn Downes can grow into that role too

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again on 17:10 - Feb 18 with 5136 viewsHerbivore

Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again on 15:30 - Feb 18 by christiand

You don't need all three CBs to be ball players, one is fine so Webster can feel that role. In the wide areas you need those players that have energy to get up and down both flanks, Spence is not capable and better in an orthodox flat back four. Based on today Iorfa and Knudsen could both do a job. Have they got the consistency to maintain it though?

The three in midfield your right Herbivore they are all pretty similar types of players. We lack a creative type and that midfielder that can get beyond the front two. I reckon that Huws could be the creative spark and Adeyemi could be the one that bursts forwards to create and score chances shame they are both injured. I wonder if this formation was MM's plan for this season all along?
[Post edited 18 Feb 2018 15:31]

4-3-3 was his plan with Huws and Adeyemi in midfield with Skuse. I'm not a fan of 3 at the back to be honest, I don't think Knudsen or Iorfa are really good enough as wing backs, they lack quality in the final third and you need your wing backs to create to make the system work.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again on 18:26 - Feb 18 with 5042 viewsCoco

I will agree with you on that. An absolute tank.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again on 19:17 - Feb 18 with 4955 viewsNazemariner

It really isn’t the way.

CCV is a good player, but if he keeps Webster out of the team then that’s no good for the club moving forward. Our wing backs offer very little attacking threat, and we don’t have a playmaker to dictate play in the middle of the pitch.

We’ve experimented with it on a few occasions and it has rarely worked.
Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again on 21:41 - Feb 18 with 4840 viewschristiand

Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again on 17:10 - Feb 18 by Herbivore

4-3-3 was his plan with Huws and Adeyemi in midfield with Skuse. I'm not a fan of 3 at the back to be honest, I don't think Knudsen or Iorfa are really good enough as wing backs, they lack quality in the final third and you need your wing backs to create to make the system work.

Not really, you need two athletic types that can run all day and get the ball in to the box for the wing backs to work.

Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again on 21:55 - Feb 18 with 4801 viewspete81

Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again on 21:41 - Feb 18 by christiand

Not really, you need two athletic types that can run all day and get the ball in to the box for the wing backs to work.

Unlikely scenarios but :
Could Kenlock/Emmanuel come in from the cold to become wing backs next season with a new boss??

Could Ward do a job as a right wing back ?

Could we have Carter-Vickers on lone again for next season to continue with Chambo and Ward as a 3?
Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again on 23:21 - Feb 18 with 4696 viewsbournemouthblue

The back three looked very solid, I've always said that a back three will work if you have mobile centre backs and for once we actually have it but we have to offer a lot more down the flanks and through the middle if we want to play this system.

The complete lack of football played through the middle was disappointing but entirely predictable with the midfield three we picked. We had three midfield stoppers in there essentially and they tired as the game went on.

I'd have added Celina in there to play at the tip of that three, whilst he may not be that physical, he certainly would have added some zip and linked our plays up.

I didn't get the Garner substitution perhaps MM was mindful that he was carrying a red card risk? We really need another physical option to replace Garner or Waghorn in situations like this, it makes the Keiffer Moore sale a bit more puzzling, he'd have surely given us this kind of option.

You'd have taken a point before the game but after the first half, they were really there for the taking. You can see why they concede so many goals, they'd collapse like a pack of cards against sides who really take it to them.

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again on 23:25 - Feb 18 with 4691 viewsbournemouthblue

Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again on 15:21 - Feb 18 by nshearman1

Once Garner went off, I thought that was the end of any meaningful link up play, not that there was much in that second half at all

I like McGoldrick but I did fear it would pan out as it did, he barely had a touch?

I'm amazed we didn't get Celina on to play in a number 10 role, he'd have surely improved our forward play

Knudsen didn't get much of a sniff but I'm sure he did his fair share of defensive work, again Kenlock is a superior player going forward but certainly not as rugged or as solid defensively

For all the previous criticism of Iorfa, he looked promising going forward

Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again on 23:35 - Feb 18 with 4676 viewsbournemouthblue

Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again on 21:55 - Feb 18 by pete81

Unlikely scenarios but :
Could Kenlock/Emmanuel come in from the cold to become wing backs next season with a new boss??

Could Ward do a job as a right wing back ?

Could we have Carter-Vickers on lone again for next season to continue with Chambo and Ward as a 3?

Can we have Connolly back too?

Personally I think that back three works fine, you've got two big athletic lads who are capable on the ball and Chambo to mop up

The wing backs need to be better for sure, Iorfa has potential but is still developing. Knudsen works his socks off but is never going to be an out and out wing back. Spence looks like a wing back to me but can look a bit suspect at times.

I think you can get away with one more solid wing back if the other is more like a winger and do think Ward could play that role, it's something Eddie Howe would do at Bournemouth if they were in control, he'd stick Ritchie in a wingback position.

There are the foundations of a solid side here but we certainly require a bit more depth of quality if it's going to be successful.

In a perfect world anyone from Huws, Bishop, Dozzell or even McGoldrick or Celina could play an advanced role ahead of the two holding midfielders but three out of the five there are rarely fit for any where near a full season.

Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again on 00:02 - Feb 19 with 4645 viewsStNeotsBlue

Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again on 23:35 - Feb 18 by bournemouthblue

Can we have Connolly back too?

Personally I think that back three works fine, you've got two big athletic lads who are capable on the ball and Chambo to mop up

The wing backs need to be better for sure, Iorfa has potential but is still developing. Knudsen works his socks off but is never going to be an out and out wing back. Spence looks like a wing back to me but can look a bit suspect at times.

I think you can get away with one more solid wing back if the other is more like a winger and do think Ward could play that role, it's something Eddie Howe would do at Bournemouth if they were in control, he'd stick Ritchie in a wingback position.

There are the foundations of a solid side here but we certainly require a bit more depth of quality if it's going to be successful.

In a perfect world anyone from Huws, Bishop, Dozzell or even McGoldrick or Celina could play an advanced role ahead of the two holding midfielders but three out of the five there are rarely fit for any where near a full season.

Whilst I appreciate we've had a mare with injuries to key players this year your last sentence makes me despair, why should we need two holding midfielders.

If we're playing with three in the middle they will all know to cover one another if one breaks forward but the fact none of them do break forward regularly is down to the tactics.
Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again on 00:10 - Feb 19 with 4633 viewsbournemouthblue

Thought Cameron Carter-Vickers was EXCELLENT again on 00:02 - Feb 19 by StNeotsBlue

Whilst I appreciate we've had a mare with injuries to key players this year your last sentence makes me despair, why should we need two holding midfielders.

If we're playing with three in the middle they will all know to cover one another if one breaks forward but the fact none of them do break forward regularly is down to the tactics.

For sure but you could instruct Skuse to break all you like, he isn't going to be capable. Perhaps the central midfielders were just instructed to sit but I wouldn't back any of Gleeson, Skuse or Connolly to break at speed?

The modern 4231 has two players sitting and that can be quite dynamic and attacking if the full backs get involved

We more or less defended in a block of 6, making it very hard to pass through the middle with Knudsen and Iorfa/Spence covering the wings

Once Garner went off we totally isolated Waghorn and McGoldrick barely touched it

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024