Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
[Blog] How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure 10:45 - Apr 1 with 1112 viewsNewsTWTD

Blog: How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure 1st Apr 2018 10:44
HarryFromBath charts how three aspects of Mick McCarthy’s management style may have conspired to play a significant role in his exit from the club. 36

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
[Blog] How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure on 12:21 - Apr 1 with 941 viewsDarth_Koont

Excellent blog, Harry.

I'm a great believer in people's strengths often being their weakness (depending on the prevailing wind) and that close-knit, inside-the-tent-p!ssing-out mentality shows both sides of that coin.

The big, unanswered question was whether the recruitments of Huws and the intention to play Dozzell and/or Bishop could have seen a resurgence in his fortunes after 2016-17 and the fans back on side. To my mind it's been the biggest handicap since August. But he made no mention of that as an excuse throughout the season and when it was announced he was going.

Possibly because, in his world, that would have been disloyal to the players who did play. But it seems to be emblematic of the difficulties his approach creates for himself at times.

Pronouns: He/Him

[Blog] How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure on 12:24 - Apr 1 with 930 viewsRyorry

Brilliant analysis, wonderfully written - thanks Harry

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

[Blog] How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure on 12:43 - Apr 1 with 885 viewsHarryfromBath

[Blog] How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure on 12:21 - Apr 1 by Darth_Koont

Excellent blog, Harry.

I'm a great believer in people's strengths often being their weakness (depending on the prevailing wind) and that close-knit, inside-the-tent-p!ssing-out mentality shows both sides of that coin.

The big, unanswered question was whether the recruitments of Huws and the intention to play Dozzell and/or Bishop could have seen a resurgence in his fortunes after 2016-17 and the fans back on side. To my mind it's been the biggest handicap since August. But he made no mention of that as an excuse throughout the season and when it was announced he was going.

Possibly because, in his world, that would have been disloyal to the players who did play. But it seems to be emblematic of the difficulties his approach creates for himself at times.

I totally agree Darth, our strengths taken to excess can so often end up undermining us.

I agree that the destruction of our central midfield played a huge role in stalling this season's campaign, but the more I think about it, the more I am convinced that Mick comes with a ticking time-bomb that would have inevitably gone off in a season or two, even if things had gone swimmingly this year and we were promoted.

I also think your analysis of his approach to his injury crisis is very perceptive. He could have legitimately said to the fans that this stopped a play-off charge and taken a more positive line with the supporters, keeping them inside the tent, but instead he ended up exacerbating a decent into confrontation.

That's a fair pile of assumptions you've jumped to there.....
Poll: Who Do You Think Will Win The Championship Play-offs?
Blog: How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024