Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best (worst) VAR story yet 20:37 - Apr 16 with 3203 viewsTractorCam

From Mainz.

Half time whistle blows with the score 0-0. The players leave the pitch but suddenly VAR is getting involved during half time and it's flagging up a handball in the box. The teams re-enter the pitch for Mainz to take the penalty and go 1-0 up....

Farce
[Post edited 16 Apr 2018 20:37]

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Best (worst) VAR story yet on 20:43 - Apr 16 with 3122 viewsDarth_Koont

If as it seems this was the correct decision, then good.

There will be some teething problems with VAR as there were with rugby. But it's good that someone is there to catch the referee's human mistakes now that we have the technology.

Pronouns: He/Him

Best (worst) VAR story yet on 20:59 - Apr 16 with 3067 viewsJohnny_Boy

Serie A game this season. Forgot who.
Player scores. Runs over to crowd. Celebrates. Takes his shirt off. Ref books him.
In the meantime VAR is called upon. Goal is ruled out for an offence or offside. Opposition restart game with a free kick.
Best (worst) VAR story yet on 21:05 - Apr 16 with 3016 viewsm14_blue

Best (worst) VAR story yet on 20:43 - Apr 16 by Darth_Koont

There will be some teething problems with VAR as there were with rugby. But it's good that someone is there to catch the referee's human mistakes now that we have the technology.

Do you really think that scenario is good for the sport?

Is it so important that every 60-40 decision is right?
Best (worst) VAR story yet on 21:06 - Apr 16 with 3010 viewsJakeITFC

Why is it good?

Why is football better if the decisions are right?
Best (worst) VAR story yet on 21:08 - Apr 16 with 3006 viewsGarv

I just think it gives the excuse to whine even more about every little decision, because then it might be viewed as a 'clear and obvious error' and the ref will refer it upstairs.

Having gone through the whole respect for referees stuff this now makes a mockery of it.

And the idea that it will improve the experience for fans is laughable. Two minute delay before you can celebrate a goal, yay!
[Post edited 16 Apr 2018 21:11]

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Best (worst) VAR story yet on 21:10 - Apr 16 with 2991 viewsvapour_trail

Nah, the introduction has been utterly shambolic, not thought through with either players or fans considered and it should be shelved sharpish whilst it’s reviewed to see if it can be made fit for purpose.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Best (worst) VAR story yet on 21:15 - Apr 16 with 2965 viewshype313

Best (worst) VAR story yet on 21:10 - Apr 16 by vapour_trail

Nah, the introduction has been utterly shambolic, not thought through with either players or fans considered and it should be shelved sharpish whilst it’s reviewed to see if it can be made fit for purpose.

As Darth says there are teething problems, but I think we should persevere with it, football needs it, all other sports use it and it works really well. Football is just going through the initial hiccups and Rugby had a problem with how far back the refs could go as plenty of things happened in between, but they have sorted that now and everyone knows the situation. The same will happen in football, just needs a season or two to iron out any issues.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Best (worst) VAR story yet on 21:18 - Apr 16 with 2949 viewsmonty_radio

Best (worst) VAR story yet on 21:10 - Apr 16 by vapour_trail

Don't disagree with general thrust, but can't really see how you can really review and advance it by shelving it. Surely it needs meaningful games where the top refs, who are likely to be the scrutinised users, are able to trial it and have input towards its improvement.

People claiming that it should be ditched are not living in a possible world. Such technology is here for the long haul.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Login to get fewer ads

Best (worst) VAR story yet on 21:29 - Apr 16 with 2919 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The cricket system was shambolic initially. Every debatable decision that got reviewed was overturned if there was any doubt about it at all. As a result you were better with the umpire giving a tight decision against you.

It now works a lot better.

Some suggestions:
It is only used over goals scored, sending offs or penalty awards (i.e. game-changing decisions).
It is used as a review system by the team captain or manager.
Each team gets 1 review per half that is reset if the decision is overturned.
The decision on the pitch must be shown to be clearly wrong (i.e. a clear and obvious error is overturned not a 60-40 decision etc).
The referee may refer a decision when he feels it was unclear (did the player get the ball for a penalty decision? Did the player dive? etc.)
In the review, the referee communicates via the screen/scoreboard/etc what is being reviewed and why. This includes the crowd and enables the excitement factor to be maintained instead of simply breaking up the game and confusion reigning.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Best (worst) VAR story yet on 22:12 - Apr 16 with 2818 viewsMattinLondon

Best (worst) VAR story yet on 20:59 - Apr 16 by Johnny_Boy

Serie A game this season. Forgot who.
Player scores. Runs over to crowd. Celebrates. Takes his shirt off. Ref books him.
In the meantime VAR is called upon. Goal is ruled out for an offence or offside. Opposition restart game with a free kick.

So does the yellow card for taking his shirt off still stand?
Best (worst) VAR story yet on 01:55 - Apr 17 with 2603 viewsitfcjoe

Best (worst) VAR story yet on 21:15 - Apr 16 by hype313

As Darth says there are teething problems, but I think we should persevere with it, football needs it, all other sports use it and it works really well. Football is just going through the initial hiccups and Rugby had a problem with how far back the refs could go as plenty of things happened in between, but they have sorted that now and everyone knows the situation. The same will happen in football, just needs a season or two to iron out any issues.

In many games the rugby is still unwatchable, couple of minute delay after every try looking for issues that aren’t there - takes away any joy and passion of celebration

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Best (worst) VAR story yet on 07:28 - Apr 17 with 2468 viewsTractorCam

Best (worst) VAR story yet on 22:12 - Apr 16 by MattinLondon

So does the yellow card for taking his shirt off still stand?

That's what I was thinking, surely must have been rescinded?

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Best (worst) VAR story yet on 08:44 - Apr 17 with 2395 viewsRadlett_blue

Best (worst) VAR story yet on 21:29 - Apr 16 by Nthsuffolkblue

The cricket system was shambolic initially. Every debatable decision that got reviewed was overturned if there was any doubt about it at all. As a result you were better with the umpire giving a tight decision against you.

It now works a lot better.

Some suggestions:
It is only used over goals scored, sending offs or penalty awards (i.e. game-changing decisions).
It is used as a review system by the team captain or manager.
Each team gets 1 review per half that is reset if the decision is overturned.
The decision on the pitch must be shown to be clearly wrong (i.e. a clear and obvious error is overturned not a 60-40 decision etc).
The referee may refer a decision when he feels it was unclear (did the player get the ball for a penalty decision? Did the player dive? etc.)
In the review, the referee communicates via the screen/scoreboard/etc what is being reviewed and why. This includes the crowd and enables the excitement factor to be maintained instead of simply breaking up the game and confusion reigning.

I think you are still over-complicating it. VAR can improve the game if it is used for what it was supposed to be used for i.e. "clear & obvious errors" in a decision.
IMO, these should be restricted to offsides (which are generally resolved quickly) and whether a foul was committed inside or outside the penalty area (again, largely a matter of fact).
Once you start using VAR for decisions which require interpretation, it will rarely be clear cut & one side will still be unhappy.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Best (worst) VAR story yet on 08:47 - Apr 17 with 2390 viewsitfcjoe

Best (worst) VAR story yet on 08:44 - Apr 17 by Radlett_blue

I think you are still over-complicating it. VAR can improve the game if it is used for what it was supposed to be used for i.e. "clear & obvious errors" in a decision.
IMO, these should be restricted to offsides (which are generally resolved quickly) and whether a foul was committed inside or outside the penalty area (again, largely a matter of fact).
Once you start using VAR for decisions which require interpretation, it will rarely be clear cut & one side will still be unhappy.

They should be able to look at it and make a decision within 30 seconds - if it can't be seen in that timescale then it is neither a clear nor obvious error

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Best (worst) VAR story yet on 09:10 - Apr 17 with 2366 viewscharlie1

Best (worst) VAR story yet on 07:28 - Apr 17 by TractorCam

That's what I was thinking, surely must have been rescinded?

Taking your shirt off when you’re not celebrating a goal is an even worse offence.
Life ban.
Best (worst) VAR story yet on 09:28 - Apr 17 with 2342 viewsrickw

It probably was the correct decision but the farce is giving the penalty after the half time whistle has gone - think if it was at PR - most fans will be in bar queues and come back to see the score as 1-0 and think WTF?!?!?!?

I wouldn't give up on VAR, just try different ways of using it until we find one that works better. I would try it so the captain/manager has 2 appeals a game, this way the VAR appeal will be instant and some 50-50 decisions won't get appealed allowing the game to flow more

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Best (worst) VAR story yet on 09:32 - Apr 17 with 2337 viewsRadlett_blue

Best (worst) VAR story yet on 09:28 - Apr 17 by rickw

It probably was the correct decision but the farce is giving the penalty after the half time whistle has gone - think if it was at PR - most fans will be in bar queues and come back to see the score as 1-0 and think WTF?!?!?!?

I wouldn't give up on VAR, just try different ways of using it until we find one that works better. I would try it so the captain/manager has 2 appeals a game, this way the VAR appeal will be instant and some 50-50 decisions won't get appealed allowing the game to flow more

Referral to VAR is currently not supposed to be a result of an appeal (although obviously players will ignore that & ask for a referral). It is supposed to be signalled by the VAR to the on the field ref or the ref can call it if he thinks he may have made an error.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024