Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Drum & Monkey (nee Sporting Farmer) is finally coming down... 16:22 - Apr 18 with 9741 viewsSitfcB

Shame really.

Bet there's some stories from some on here about that place?

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/drum-and-monkey-in-ipswich-coming-down-1-54817
[Post edited 18 Apr 2018 16:23]

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

The Drum & Monkey (nee Sporting Farmer) is finally coming down... on 16:33 - Apr 18 with 6510 viewshype313

Yep, my cousin who is a Pompey fan getting battered in there by our fans whilst his 8 yr old daughter watched on was a particularly fond memory..

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The Drum & Monkey (nee Sporting Farmer) is finally coming down... on 16:41 - Apr 18 with 6459 viewsReuser_is_God

To be used as a temporary car park? FFS as if there isn’t beeping car parks in that area of the town.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

The Drum & Monkey (nee Sporting Farmer) is finally coming down... on 16:41 - Apr 18 with 6476 viewsFixed_It

I remember the days when I used to stand on the North Stand terrace (too young to drink) and we'd be running the gauntlet of the away fans pre-match, and then the Sporting Farmer would empty just before KO and you could hear them from across the car-park announcing their impending arrival. On more than one occasion it was like being saved by the cavalry! TWTD.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

The Drum & Monkey (nee Sporting Farmer) is finally coming down... on 16:44 - Apr 18 with 6445 viewsITFC_Forever

Used to go in there quite often when we were at Sixth Form to play pool pre-Hollywoods as they would serve us.

From a football point of view, didn't go in there that much, although we went in there when we got back from Oxford in 1992 for a celebratory beer.

Also watched England beat Argentina in there in the World Cup in 2002 on a Friday lunchtime.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

The Drum & Monkey (nee Sporting Farmer) is finally coming down... on 16:44 - Apr 18 with 6439 viewsblueblueburleymcgrew

The Drum & Monkey (nee Sporting Farmer) is finally coming down... on 16:41 - Apr 18 by Fixed_It

I remember the days when I used to stand on the North Stand terrace (too young to drink) and we'd be running the gauntlet of the away fans pre-match, and then the Sporting Farmer would empty just before KO and you could hear them from across the car-park announcing their impending arrival. On more than one occasion it was like being saved by the cavalry! TWTD.

I remember that feeling well. In exactly the same boat as you.
The Drum & Monkey (nee Sporting Farmer) is finally coming down... on 16:47 - Apr 18 with 6415 viewsIllinoisblue

The Drum & Monkey (nee Sporting Farmer) is finally coming down... on 16:33 - Apr 18 by hype313

Yep, my cousin who is a Pompey fan getting battered in there by our fans whilst his 8 yr old daughter watched on was a particularly fond memory..

was that in the battle of 1987, or the more recent early 2000s game when Pompey were going up?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

The Drum & Monkey (nee Sporting Farmer) is finally coming down... on 16:56 - Apr 18 with 6359 viewsSuperfrans

Highlights again the terrible lack of a drinking hole that end of town.

Post match, the Station Hotel is usually closed (especially midweek), Legends closes within half an hour of the game ending... and that's it...

At Leyton Orient they have a great little club bar, with guest ales on tap, open well before the game and then long afterwards too. The Fan Zone mops up plenty of people pre-match, but I've said for years that the club should open a bar which opens onto Portman Road for post match boozers....

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

The Drum & Monkey (nee Sporting Farmer) is finally coming down... on 17:01 - Apr 18 with 6341 viewsLord_Lucan

I first started drinking pre and post match in 1980 and I reckon I have been in there prior to a game about 6 times.

After a game - zero.

What a dump.

Good riddance.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

The Drum & Monkey (nee Sporting Farmer) is finally coming down... on 17:01 - Apr 18 with 6332 viewshype313

The Drum & Monkey (nee Sporting Farmer) is finally coming down... on 16:47 - Apr 18 by Illinoisblue

was that in the battle of 1987, or the more recent early 2000s game when Pompey were going up?

2005ish I think, it was a strange feeling getting clubbed by my fellow fans.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The Drum & Monkey (nee Sporting Farmer) is finally coming down... on 17:09 - Apr 18 with 6301 viewsPJH

I have got it in my head that we went in there before getting the train to Highbury for the 1978 semi final but not sure how that ties in with licensing hours back then.
Perhaps it never happened-I know Highbury 1978 happened but maybe we did go in to The Sporting Farmer before travelling to London.
The Drum & Monkey (nee Sporting Farmer) is finally coming down... on 17:09 - Apr 18 with 6302 viewsJoHnNnY

Johnny Wark told me a few weeks ago that back in the 70’s, the upstairs was a nightclub (the name escapes me) but he and a few of the others got blotto in there after the FA Cup win - took the cup in with them! 😆👍🏼
[Post edited 18 Apr 2018 22:04]

Can we just play some attractive football please?
Poll: Who would like to see a return of the previous badge design?

The Drum & Monkey (nee Sporting Farmer) is finally coming down... on 17:13 - Apr 18 with 6277 viewsITFC_Forever

The Drum & Monkey (nee Sporting Farmer) is finally coming down... on 17:01 - Apr 18 by hype313

2005ish I think, it was a strange feeling getting clubbed by my fellow fans.

Good Friday 2003.

Edit: 15 years ago today in fact, virtually to the minute the action would have been happening in the D&M.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/2935981.stm
[Post edited 18 Apr 2018 17:14]

The Drum & Monkey (nee Sporting Farmer) is finally coming down... on 17:18 - Apr 18 with 6227 viewsRammo

The Drum & Monkey (nee Sporting Farmer) is finally coming down... on 16:44 - Apr 18 by ITFC_Forever

Used to go in there quite often when we were at Sixth Form to play pool pre-Hollywoods as they would serve us.

From a football point of view, didn't go in there that much, although we went in there when we got back from Oxford in 1992 for a celebratory beer.

Also watched England beat Argentina in there in the World Cup in 2002 on a Friday lunchtime.

Remember doing that too, could guarantee you'd always get served even if underage! Only ever got ID'd once i'd turned 18.

Occasionally went in if there was a decent band on but never went in on a football day.

Even when you feel down always remember its just a game.

The Drum & Monkey (nee Sporting Farmer) is finally coming down... on 17:26 - Apr 18 with 6182 viewsDanFord

The Drum & Monkey (nee Sporting Farmer) is finally coming down... on 17:13 - Apr 18 by ITFC_Forever

Good Friday 2003.

Edit: 15 years ago today in fact, virtually to the minute the action would have been happening in the D&M.

What an odd phrase to use 'A master class in finishing kept classy Ipswich's play-off hopes very much alive against newly-promoted Portsmouth at Portman Road'. This match happened in April, so Pompey were promoted a year before. Who the hell refers to a team as newly promoted after about September or October in a season.

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

The Drum & Monkey (nee Sporting Farmer) is finally coming down... on 17:32 - Apr 18 with 6137 viewsPhilTWTD

The Drum & Monkey (nee Sporting Farmer) is finally coming down... on 17:26 - Apr 18 by DanFord

What an odd phrase to use 'A master class in finishing kept classy Ipswich's play-off hopes very much alive against newly-promoted Portsmouth at Portman Road'. This match happened in April, so Pompey were promoted a year before. Who the hell refers to a team as newly promoted after about September or October in a season.

Portsmouth had won promotion the week before, if I remember it correctly.
The Drum & Monkey (nee Sporting Farmer) is finally coming down... on 17:32 - Apr 18 with 6135 viewsIllinoisblue

The Drum & Monkey (nee Sporting Farmer) is finally coming down... on 17:26 - Apr 18 by DanFord

because pompey were already promoted?

62 - 78 - 81

The Drum & Monkey (nee Sporting Farmer) is finally coming down... on 17:33 - Apr 18 with 6135 viewsBecclesITFC

I think the club missed a trick there. Should of purchased it.
The Drum & Monkey (nee Sporting Farmer) is finally coming down... on 17:33 - Apr 18 with 6132 viewsITFC_Forever

No, Portsmouth were such runaway leaders that season, that they were already promoted by the time they played us on Good Friday.

The Drum & Monkey (nee Sporting Farmer) is finally coming down... on 17:33 - Apr 18 with 6131 viewsIllinoisblue

The Drum & Monkey (nee Sporting Farmer) is finally coming down... on 17:13 - Apr 18 by ITFC_Forever

Good Friday 2003.

AND LOOK AT THAT CROWD!! 29 bloody thousand.

62 - 78 - 81

The Drum & Monkey (nee Sporting Farmer) is finally coming down... on 17:58 - Apr 18 with 6049 viewsColin_Viljoen

Brilliant place, I did my apprenticeship across the road at John Grose, we were in there most lunchtimes. You would have Bobby Robson, coaches & senior players in the lounge having their lunch. In the bar, playing pool & eating chips would be Johnny wark, Russell Osman, Dale Roberts etc
After a Saturday game Kevin Beattie would pop in & check out the first copy of the Green un to see what they said about him, have a few beers & talk about the game.
Things like that don't happen in today's game!
The Drum & Monkey (nee Sporting Farmer) is finally coming down... on 18:01 - Apr 18 with 6033 viewsSpruceMoose

The Drum & Monkey (nee Sporting Farmer) is finally coming down... on 17:58 - Apr 18 by Colin_Viljoen

Brilliant place, I did my apprenticeship across the road at John Grose, we were in there most lunchtimes. You would have Bobby Robson, coaches & senior players in the lounge having their lunch. In the bar, playing pool & eating chips would be Johnny wark, Russell Osman, Dale Roberts etc
After a Saturday game Kevin Beattie would pop in & check out the first copy of the Green un to see what they said about him, have a few beers & talk about the game.
Things like that don't happen in today's game!

I can understand why. It would be all over Twitter in a second then the numbskulls would get all up in arms about it.

If I played for ITFC nowadays, being seen in public places in Ipswich wouldn't be worth the effort.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2018 18:03]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

The Drum & Monkey (nee Sporting Farmer) is finally coming down... on 18:22 - Apr 18 with 5959 viewsLord_Lucan

The Drum & Monkey (nee Sporting Farmer) is finally coming down... on 18:01 - Apr 18 by SpruceMoose

I can understand why. It would be all over Twitter in a second then the numbskulls would get all up in arms about it.

If I played for ITFC nowadays, being seen in public places in Ipswich wouldn't be worth the effort.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2018 18:03]

Unfortunately you are right. Someone would say you threw a drink and all that caper.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

The Drum & Monkey (nee Sporting Farmer) is finally coming down... on 20:46 - Apr 18 with 5727 viewsWarkystache

It was a Saturday home game v Bolton in the late 1990's. Think we lost 0-1.

The night before had started innocuously, with a quiet few pints in Colchester after work. Then we started playing games with shots (this was when our Colchester pub did 10 shots for a fiver) to see how many shots we could down in the same time it took my mate to sink a pint of lager. I did seventeen.

By the time we left at 3am, I'd gone blind and my legs wouldn't work properly. I awoke at 12pm in a rush next day and got the 13.10 train into Ipswich. I was very unwell. I pebbledashed the bog on the train, and couldn't flush it. I then puked in the sink and tried forcing the lumps down the plughole as it wouldn't drain. I'd eaten a mighty mixed kebab with extra onions the night before. The texture of cold sick made me puke on the floor as I was doing it. I left the toilet in shame and hoped anyone going to Norwich could forgive me.

I stumbled from the train, crossed the bridge and sweated to the Drum. Maybe one pint would ease my guts? Perhaps it'd cure the headaches? So I had one. A quarter of the way through, I realised the bogs were murder and I needed a good Huey Lewis, so I held my hand to my gob, passed the smiling bouncers, got round the corner to the car showroom with that Lambo in the window and vomited into the gutter. Even the policemen nearby were revolted and they didn't bother asking if I was OK.

To my horror, the vomit also made me fart and follow through, although not badly. I sought solace and, with no choice but to pop back in the Drum, I dodged the smiling bouncers and re-entered that fine establishment.

I queued for a pint at the bar behind big blokes with earrings and kappa trackies. When we were within five people of the bar, the bloke behind me sniffed the air thoughtfully and then loudly said "F*ck me Jimbo, you farted you dirty c*nt?" and I noted several people make the 'O' with their mouths and then cover their lower face and nose with the inside of their replica shirts. In my defence, it was only a little puffy one.

Jimbo denied it voraciously, but clearly had form as no-one believed it was anyone but him. The fact he was stood about six paces to my right must have, I thought, ruled him out of the equation. But turning round to look made me realise the guff had turned beam to the right, like a cyclone in the Mid west. The accuser clouted him one playfully, but I noticed there was a distinct lack of willingness to sit next to him at their table when they'd got their drinks.

Oh and I cleaned my pants up when it emptied at 2.55. They were ok. I was wearing black jeans anyway. That is my most abiding memory of The Drum.

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

The Drum & Monkey (nee Sporting Farmer) is finally coming down... on 20:59 - Apr 18 with 5692 viewsDubtractor

It was a pretty ropey pub all told, but I have some half decent memories from the mid to late 90s when the promoter from the Army and Navy in Chelmsford put on some gigs there. Saw bands like Feeder, David Devant and his Spirit Wife, Gold Blade, Cecil and loads more I can't remember there.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

The Drum & Monkey (nee Sporting Farmer) is finally coming down... on 00:21 - Apr 19 with 5504 viewsfarkenhell

The Drum & Monkey (nee Sporting Farmer) is finally coming down... on 20:46 - Apr 18 by Warkystache

It was a Saturday home game v Bolton in the late 1990's. Think we lost 0-1.

The night before had started innocuously, with a quiet few pints in Colchester after work. Then we started playing games with shots (this was when our Colchester pub did 10 shots for a fiver) to see how many shots we could down in the same time it took my mate to sink a pint of lager. I did seventeen.

By the time we left at 3am, I'd gone blind and my legs wouldn't work properly. I awoke at 12pm in a rush next day and got the 13.10 train into Ipswich. I was very unwell. I pebbledashed the bog on the train, and couldn't flush it. I then puked in the sink and tried forcing the lumps down the plughole as it wouldn't drain. I'd eaten a mighty mixed kebab with extra onions the night before. The texture of cold sick made me puke on the floor as I was doing it. I left the toilet in shame and hoped anyone going to Norwich could forgive me.

I stumbled from the train, crossed the bridge and sweated to the Drum. Maybe one pint would ease my guts? Perhaps it'd cure the headaches? So I had one. A quarter of the way through, I realised the bogs were murder and I needed a good Huey Lewis, so I held my hand to my gob, passed the smiling bouncers, got round the corner to the car showroom with that Lambo in the window and vomited into the gutter. Even the policemen nearby were revolted and they didn't bother asking if I was OK.

To my horror, the vomit also made me fart and follow through, although not badly. I sought solace and, with no choice but to pop back in the Drum, I dodged the smiling bouncers and re-entered that fine establishment.

I queued for a pint at the bar behind big blokes with earrings and kappa trackies. When we were within five people of the bar, the bloke behind me sniffed the air thoughtfully and then loudly said "F*ck me Jimbo, you farted you dirty c*nt?" and I noted several people make the 'O' with their mouths and then cover their lower face and nose with the inside of their replica shirts. In my defence, it was only a little puffy one.

Jimbo denied it voraciously, but clearly had form as no-one believed it was anyone but him. The fact he was stood about six paces to my right must have, I thought, ruled him out of the equation. But turning round to look made me realise the guff had turned beam to the right, like a cyclone in the Mid west. The accuser clouted him one playfully, but I noticed there was a distinct lack of willingness to sit next to him at their table when they'd got their drinks.

Oh and I cleaned my pants up when it emptied at 2.55. They were ok. I was wearing black jeans anyway. That is my most abiding memory of The Drum.

definitely POTD!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024