Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How to meet people 20:23 - May 22 with 6594 viewswkj

I have covered the prospect of Bowls which seems to be progressing nicely, though grow quite confused about how to meet people socially. Now school and service industry jobs have passed me by, I find myself overly comfortable with my alone time. I realise the pub is an option of sorts, but I live in a village where everyone knows everyone, and you don't just insert yourself into a conversation, and lets be honest pubs are mostly glorified (or glorified) restaurants now a day.

Just to be clear this isn't trying to find someone romantically as I am on a promise from Sprucemoose, though genuine confusion about where to go, and how to interact with people on a social basis- seems as I have been in a self made bubble for quite a while.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

How to meet people on 20:41 - May 22 with 5956 viewsYeti

Join a brass rubbing group or even learn witchcraft. Romancing other users is not the answer, try the cheese isle in Tesco, so many opportunities out there. If you have success tell us how you did it?
How to meet people on 20:51 - May 22 with 5915 viewswellsy700

There's a website called meetup.com which is good for meeting likeminded people

NZ Blue
Poll: Who stays? Who goes?

How to meet people on 22:28 - May 22 with 5838 viewsBloomBlue

Bell ringing at the local Church is an excellent way of meeting people.
How to meet people on 22:32 - May 22 with 5829 viewshoppy

How to meet people on 22:28 - May 22 by BloomBlue

That may well a peal for him.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

How to meet people on 22:34 - May 22 with 5826 viewsLord_Lucan

I think the pub is your answer.

What village do you live in?

Can't you get a bus into Ipswich?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

How to meet people on 22:46 - May 22 with 5796 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Become a detectorist!!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

How to meet people on 22:48 - May 22 with 5788 viewsSpruceMoose

Do something unusual and outrageous. Like flying 3500 miles on the promise of a booty call.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

How to meet people on 22:59 - May 22 with 5778 viewsStNeotsBlue

Does your local have a pool, billards, darts, crib, petanque or dominoes team? Have you any talent in any of those if so, would be a good opener.
Login to get fewer ads

How to meet people on 03:36 - May 23 with 5689 viewsKTBlue

pub darts team, or local footy team. Playing the former and watching the latter.
How to meet people on 08:28 - May 23 with 5586 viewsBluebell

It is difficult to meet other people especially if you live in a village as I do.

I don't know how old you are or where you live so it is difficult to be specific.

What are your interests? If you can afford it join a gym or go to evening classes then that is a good way to meet people. Anything where there are groups of people doing the same thing together with the same outlook on life can soon lead to other things like drinks afterwards.

Don't waste your time waiting for Moosey. He makes promises he won't keep.
How to meet people on 08:46 - May 23 with 5566 viewsuefacup81

How to meet people on 22:28 - May 22 by BloomBlue

I agree. Great way to meet people locally, and when you're out and about around the country you'll be welcomed wherever you go.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

How to meet people on 08:53 - May 23 with 5543 viewsCotty

Every time I've moved I've immediately tried to find

1) People to play 5-a-side with
2) A pub to play poker in

The first is a good way to keep fit and make wholesome friends. The second is a good way to meet fellow degenerates. Good luck.
How to meet people on 09:00 - May 23 with 5527 viewshoppy

How to meet people on 08:28 - May 23 by Bluebell

It is difficult to meet other people especially if you live in a village as I do.

I don't know how old you are or where you live so it is difficult to be specific.

What are your interests? If you can afford it join a gym or go to evening classes then that is a good way to meet people. Anything where there are groups of people doing the same thing together with the same outlook on life can soon lead to other things like drinks afterwards.

Do you not pay his £15.99 + vat monthly retainer? Always delivers if you do...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

How to meet people on 09:24 - May 23 with 5509 viewsSwansea_Blue

How to meet people on 20:51 - May 22 by wellsy700

There's a website called meetup.com which is good for meeting likeminded people

"Likeminded" could be a problem. I like to think TWTD is doing the world a favour by keeping all us weirdos in one place

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

How to meet people on 09:24 - May 23 with 5508 viewsjontysnut

How to meet people on 08:46 - May 23 by uefacup81

I agree. Great way to meet people locally, and when you're out and about around the country you'll be welcomed wherever you go.

I know someone who does competitive bell ringing and he said they hose down the ale like there's no tomorrow. Local football, cricket, rugby clubs etc are always grateful for a a pair of hands
How to meet people on 09:30 - May 23 with 5499 viewsSwansea_Blue

What do you enjoy doing? That's probably the key to the answer. There are clubs for all sorts these days, from bell ringing to xylophone playing. Social media can be a time suck and home for right tosspots, but it does make finding local groups and clubs very easy.

Contacting anew group or trying something completely different might be a bit of a step out of your comfort zone at first (maybe not, but it would be for me), but who knows what rewards it could lead to.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

How to meet people on 09:35 - May 23 with 5493 viewscatch74

Dog walking appears to be a great way to meet people - especially if your dog is a puppy (or still looks like one at five, like our lab.)
If you don’t have a dog, you could even earn a bit of money for walking someone else’s!

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

How to meet people on 09:43 - May 23 with 5482 viewsArcher4721

Get yourself on this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p056fjcg
How to meet people on 09:51 - May 23 with 5466 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Get an allotment and a shed and a kettle.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

How to meet people on 10:02 - May 23 with 5452 viewsusm

Get a dog, people will talk to you when you walk it. Also be good company for you. And take it to training lessons - again youll meet like minded people.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

How to meet people on 10:07 - May 23 with 5443 viewswkj

How to meet people on 10:02 - May 23 by usm

Get a dog, people will talk to you when you walk it. Also be good company for you. And take it to training lessons - again youll meet like minded people.

Sound advice that, I tried putting my cat on a lead, but he wasn't having any of it- A dog might be easier to train

Crybaby

How to meet people on 12:33 - May 24 with 5332 viewsmojo

Hi wkj - By the sounds of it I found myself in a not too dissimilar situation about a year ago. The long term relationship of 8 years that I was in came to an abrupt end and I lost her and her 2 children from my life overnight. I suddenly found myself alone, having neglected friends over the years and found myself sinking into depression and it is all too easy to sit at home watching netflix or whatever.

I live in Stowmarket so it sounds like I am a bit more fortunate in having slightly more things going on. I started off playing badminton ( a lot of village halls do this), very social, suitable for people of all ages and time to chat to people in between. As a result of that I joined the leisure centre and have signed up to various classes (body combat, pump, yoga, body balance etc) All have been very social (a smile goes along way) and my physical well being and confidence improved almost overnight. Don't be afraid to try random things as you never know what it will lead to. I tried aqua aerobics (I'm 42) and was surrounded by mostly retired woman, I also tried bowls, lovely people but I didn't want to feel old before my time, bad examples but you take my point.

When my physical wellbeing improved I turned my attention to my social wellbeing. Choirs are good for that. I would say avoid anything too competitive. Volunteering is good, there are lots of men's sheds popping up. Meet ups are good as is the idea for getting a dog. Not an option for me as I work full time. Walking is very social. I have just completed the Sandllings Walk (through work) as parto f the Suffolk Walking Festival and it is surprising how well you can get to know people over 4 days and 65 miles. This has led onto new friendships forming. I should big up the Ipswich Outdoor Group, £10 a year a full programme of walks for all abilities, pub nights, film nights, weekends and weeks away all over the place.

Take the time to rekindle old friendships, don't neglect current friends either.

In a nutshell, what I'm saying is that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I have gone from not wanting to go out at all to wanting to go out all the time. I hope this is of some use. I feel your pain and if you want to pm me or I can help in any way further I will try.
How to meet people on 12:36 - May 24 with 5321 viewswkj

How to meet people on 12:33 - May 24 by mojo

Hi wkj - By the sounds of it I found myself in a not too dissimilar situation about a year ago. The long term relationship of 8 years that I was in came to an abrupt end and I lost her and her 2 children from my life overnight. I suddenly found myself alone, having neglected friends over the years and found myself sinking into depression and it is all too easy to sit at home watching netflix or whatever.

I live in Stowmarket so it sounds like I am a bit more fortunate in having slightly more things going on. I started off playing badminton ( a lot of village halls do this), very social, suitable for people of all ages and time to chat to people in between. As a result of that I joined the leisure centre and have signed up to various classes (body combat, pump, yoga, body balance etc) All have been very social (a smile goes along way) and my physical well being and confidence improved almost overnight. Don't be afraid to try random things as you never know what it will lead to. I tried aqua aerobics (I'm 42) and was surrounded by mostly retired woman, I also tried bowls, lovely people but I didn't want to feel old before my time, bad examples but you take my point.

When my physical wellbeing improved I turned my attention to my social wellbeing. Choirs are good for that. I would say avoid anything too competitive. Volunteering is good, there are lots of men's sheds popping up. Meet ups are good as is the idea for getting a dog. Not an option for me as I work full time. Walking is very social. I have just completed the Sandllings Walk (through work) as parto f the Suffolk Walking Festival and it is surprising how well you can get to know people over 4 days and 65 miles. This has led onto new friendships forming. I should big up the Ipswich Outdoor Group, £10 a year a full programme of walks for all abilities, pub nights, film nights, weekends and weeks away all over the place.

Take the time to rekindle old friendships, don't neglect current friends either.

In a nutshell, what I'm saying is that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I have gone from not wanting to go out at all to wanting to go out all the time. I hope this is of some use. I feel your pain and if you want to pm me or I can help in any way further I will try.

Thanks MoJo, I will pm you over the weekend when things quiet down here a bit. It is a weird place to be in, stuck between agoraphobia and the want for a social life, they don't go hand in hand very well I must admit

Crybaby

How to meet people on 12:41 - May 24 with 5305 viewsuefacup81

How to meet people on 09:24 - May 23 by jontysnut

I know someone who does competitive bell ringing and he said they hose down the ale like there's no tomorrow. Local football, cricket, rugby clubs etc are always grateful for a a pair of hands

Have to agree with you there!

A good friend of mine rings for Norwich in the National Twelve Bell (essentially the World Cup of ringing) and when it was hosted in Norwich a few years back, the eight teams and their supporters managed to get through over 1,600 pints in the course of an afternoon!

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

How to meet people on 13:03 - May 24 with 5268 viewsSpruceMoose

How to meet people on 08:28 - May 23 by Bluebell

I guaranteed my attendance madam, not your satisfaction.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024