Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Webster replacement 03:18 - Jun 28 with 4644 viewsitfctilidie

We signed Chalobah from Chelsea, an England U19 centre back who isn't coming to warm the bench. We then sell an injury prone Webster for what ever the fee is (3.5 million - 5 Million) - We already had the replacement signed before we agreed to sell Webster which is a different approach to the previous regime already. We have signed a quality young replacement albeit on loan, but given the pedigree of Chalobah there is a good chance he is a better player than Webster and less injury prone. Also then gives us the chance to strengthen other areas of the squad, and find an experienced centre half.
Webster replacement on 03:56 - Jun 28 with 4116 viewsTampa_Florida_Blue

I take it you read minds for a living. I was thinking just this. Yes he is good, but to injury prone. Take the money and run.
Webster replacement on 06:48 - Jun 28 with 3997 viewschristiand

As we have found with other young loan signings (Celina and Maitland-Niles) with pedigree this league is tough and unforgiving and it would be very naive to expect a youngster with limited first team experience to go the full season without having a dip in form or miss a few games through injury. Chalobah is a terrific young signing on paper, but he can't surely be Webster's replacement? First team action is a completely different animal to U23 and England youth football.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Webster replacement on 07:09 - Jun 28 with 3949 viewsitfcjoe

I’d seriously question Hursts judgement if he expects an 18 year old to be able to come into this league and play near on every game, especially as a CB - it just wouldn’t work.

But that won’t be the case so no need for people to try and claim this alone is some sort of master stroke - because it wouldn’t be

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Webster replacement on 07:42 - Jun 28 with 3818 viewsWestover

Webster's replacement we have not replaced Smith or Berra yet.
Webster replacement on 07:44 - Jun 28 with 3804 viewsitfctilidie

Webster replacement on 07:42 - Jun 28 by Westover

Webster's replacement we have not replaced Smith or Berra yet.

That would fall under the last 6 words of my post -

"Also then gives us the chance to strengthen other areas of the squad, and find an experienced centre half."
Webster replacement on 07:58 - Jun 28 with 3758 viewsclive_baker

I don’t think Webster is great personally. I’ve said it for a long time on here, it’s a complete myth that he’s some cultured ball playing centre half. I think he gets bullied far too easily and he’s far too easy to play against. I’ll lose no sleep at all over this, but I’m pretty sure Chalobah won’t be his replacement. We are where we are, we’re a selling club and if this transfer means we have a bit more resolve to rebuff advances for Bart, Waghorn or Dozzell etc then it’s good business for me. I hope ME can give Hurst some of it to play with.

When you consider Hyam, Bru, McGoldrick, Webster, Carter-Vickers, Celina, Connolly, Carayol, Iorfa and McCarthy have all moved on since the end of last season, and been replaced (so far) by Hurst and Chalobah (plus some other back room changes that probably net off), there has to be what £3m / £4m of wages per annum off the bill and £3m+ in the coffers from Webster which Hurst can do some damage with.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

In terms of age he'd be.... on 08:15 - Jun 28 with 3686 viewsBloots

Webster replacement on 07:09 - Jun 28 by itfcjoe

I’d seriously question Hursts judgement if he expects an 18 year old to be able to come into this league and play near on every game, especially as a CB - it just wouldn’t work.

But that won’t be the case so no need for people to try and claim this alone is some sort of master stroke - because it wouldn’t be

....pretty much one year younger than CCV was when he played his first game for us.

And only 6 months younger than when CCV started for Sheff Utd.

He seemed to do ok.

Just saying.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Indeed, here's hoping on 08:18 - Jun 28 with 3669 viewsDyland

Webster replacement on 07:58 - Jun 28 by clive_baker

I don’t think Webster is great personally. I’ve said it for a long time on here, it’s a complete myth that he’s some cultured ball playing centre half. I think he gets bullied far too easily and he’s far too easy to play against. I’ll lose no sleep at all over this, but I’m pretty sure Chalobah won’t be his replacement. We are where we are, we’re a selling club and if this transfer means we have a bit more resolve to rebuff advances for Bart, Waghorn or Dozzell etc then it’s good business for me. I hope ME can give Hurst some of it to play with.

When you consider Hyam, Bru, McGoldrick, Webster, Carter-Vickers, Celina, Connolly, Carayol, Iorfa and McCarthy have all moved on since the end of last season, and been replaced (so far) by Hurst and Chalobah (plus some other back room changes that probably net off), there has to be what £3m / £4m of wages per annum off the bill and £3m+ in the coffers from Webster which Hurst can do some damage with.

And for the first time in a long time the hope feels vaguely sensible :)

Let's see how our season progresses before getting our knickers in a twist. Some of our fans are so pathetic.

Likewise I desperately wanted to see this much heralded cultured play but the reality very rarely stacked up. Injuries and game plans may well have been to blame but that's life.

Kind of disappointed he's going but it's hardly something to get upset about.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Login to get fewer ads

Webster replacement on 08:58 - Jun 28 with 3537 viewsBasuco

Webster replacement on 07:58 - Jun 28 by clive_baker

I felt we never saw the best of AldamWebster, he seemed to take quite a while to get up to full match sharpness after an injury and every time he he would start to look a decent player he got injured again, he is also very weak in the air which is something we need to replace after Tommy Smith leaving.
Webster replacement on 09:14 - Jun 28 with 3477 viewsFrimleyBlue

Webster replacement on 06:48 - Jun 28 by christiand

As we have found with other young loan signings (Celina and Maitland-Niles) with pedigree this league is tough and unforgiving and it would be very naive to expect a youngster with limited first team experience to go the full season without having a dip in form or miss a few games through injury. Chalobah is a terrific young signing on paper, but he can't surely be Webster's replacement? First team action is a completely different animal to U23 and England youth football.

I don't get the love Webster has to be honest, I know I barely go to games. But even reading Phils match reports Webster seemed to be involved in a lot of mistakes at the back when he did manage to play. By the way some are acting it's like we've just lost Mowbray in his prime

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

on 09:17 - Jun 28 with 3451 views_

Webster replacement on 09:14 - Jun 28 by FrimleyBlue

I don't get the love Webster has to be honest, I know I barely go to games. But even reading Phils match reports Webster seemed to be involved in a lot of mistakes at the back when he did manage to play. By the way some are acting it's like we've just lost Mowbray in his prime

Webster replacement on 09:20 - Jun 28 with 3442 viewsFrimleyBlue

on 09:17 - Jun 28 by _

I just think sadly he appears to be another case of 'what could have been' when it comes to a playing career and injuries.

Although to be fair the likes of Dyer still made a very nice sum from it, imagine what else he and other players could have personally achieved had it not been for such injuries. I fear for Webster this will be his downfall. I hope tho he goes on and does really well, nothing worse than seeing careers slow down before they even begin

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Webster replacement on 09:25 - Jun 28 with 3418 viewsSteve_M

on 09:17 - Jun 28 by _

And also that some games - Preston at home comes to mind when he kept an in-form Hugill quiet - he has looked a very good defender. It just feels like we're selling him a bit soon before we've really seen what he can do.

And that's before considering that Evans hasn't consistently used transfer fees to properly reinvest in the squad over the last few seasons.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Webster replacement (n/t) on 09:26 - Jun 28 with 3414 viewsNazemariner

Webster replacement on 09:20 - Jun 28 by FrimleyBlue

I just think sadly he appears to be another case of 'what could have been' when it comes to a playing career and injuries.

Although to be fair the likes of Dyer still made a very nice sum from it, imagine what else he and other players could have personally achieved had it not been for such injuries. I fear for Webster this will be his downfall. I hope tho he goes on and does really well, nothing worse than seeing careers slow down before they even begin

[Post edited 28 Jun 2018 9:27]
Webster replacement on 09:27 - Jun 28 with 3405 viewsNazemariner

Am i right in saying that Chalobah has never played a competitive game at club level in his entire life?

Decent signing, but if we are suggesting that he is the replacement for our best defender, then we really are fooked!
on 09:34 - Jun 28 with 3379 views_

Webster replacement on 09:25 - Jun 28 by Steve_M

And also that some games - Preston at home comes to mind when he kept an in-form Hugill quiet - he has looked a very good defender. It just feels like we're selling him a bit soon before we've really seen what he can do.

And that's before considering that Evans hasn't consistently used transfer fees to properly reinvest in the squad over the last few seasons.

Webster replacement on 09:49 - Jun 28 with 3321 viewsSteve_M

on 09:34 - Jun 28 by _

I did add the word 'consistently' to it as whereas he has allowed managers plenty of flexibility the main benefit of incoming transfer fees has been to reduce his annual input into the club. That's his prerogative, but we're still a world away from Brentford's approach to transfers which has allowed them to develop over a number of years.

Obviously, it's not just transfers at Brentford but they have consistently outperformed us on a smaller budget whilst playing better football. I'm really interested to see what improvements Hurst brings into the club here though.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Webster replacement on 09:57 - Jun 28 with 3301 viewsBasuco

Webster replacement on 09:27 - Jun 28 by Nazemariner

Am i right in saying that Chalobah has never played a competitive game at club level in his entire life?

Decent signing, but if we are suggesting that he is the replacement for our best defender, then we really are fooked!

I don't think Callum Connolly did either before coming to us and look what a great season he had.
Webster replacement on 10:00 - Jun 28 with 3290 viewsitfcjoe

Webster replacement on 09:57 - Jun 28 by Basuco

I don't think Callum Connolly did either before coming to us and look what a great season he had.

He’d had at least two loan spells

Webster replacement on 10:06 - Jun 28 with 3274 viewsBasuco

Webster replacement on 10:00 - Jun 28 by itfcjoe

He’d had at least two loan spells

Cheers my mistake, I thought Luke Woolfenden looked pretty good when he came into the side as well, along side Chambo or another experienced CB, he looked to me like he could well step up this season.
Webster replacement on 10:37 - Jun 28 with 3215 viewschristiand

Webster replacement on 10:06 - Jun 28 by Basuco

Cheers my mistake, I thought Luke Woolfenden looked pretty good when he came into the side as well, along side Chambo or another experienced CB, he looked to me like he could well step up this season.

He certainly did. Just a huge ask for a youngster especially as a centre half with limited first team experience to just step up and expect them to play 46 league games in the Championship. Just hope Hurst is using his knowledge of lower leagues to get someone else in. There are some gems down there, just needs to look closely enough.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Webster replacement on 14:35 - Jun 28 with 3080 viewsVic

Webster replacement on 07:09 - Jun 28 by itfcjoe

I’m not sure I buy the ‘he’s only 18’ line. I reckon that if he’s good enough then between him, woolfenden and Smith we should good cover for the season. Plus Knudsen and Spence are both very able deputies.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Webster replacement on 18:34 - Jun 28 with 2979 viewsitfcjoe

Webster replacement on 14:35 - Jun 28 by Vic

I’m not sure I buy the ‘he’s only 18’ line. I reckon that if he’s good enough then between him, woolfenden and Smith we should good cover for the season. Plus Knudsen and Spence are both very able deputies.

You just have to look at the fact that there are very, very few 18 year olds who have played regularly in this league over the last 2-3 seasons. It's a tough, tough league and if we don't sign another centre back (or 2) I will be absolutely amazed and astounded.

Webster replacement on 20:11 - Jun 28 with 2940 viewsbraveblue

Webster replacement on 09:14 - Jun 28 by FrimleyBlue

It’s simple. He does not hoof the ball albeit he was sliwly being coached into it. We have retained the chief hoofer as no one wants him. Life under Evans.
Webster replacement on 20:33 - Jun 28 with 2891 viewsagentp

I think Skuse may well be the next to leave. Can see Hurst viewing him as a player he can receive a fee for and be replaced adequately for less with Chalobah/Dozell filling in there too.

Lets see.

Poll: If only these two were available who would you choose for the rest of the season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024