Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 00:00 - Jul 20 with 7803 viewsmos

I see a lot of people use these terms as insults. Basically paraphrasing that the bloke is an arrogant snob.

But I’ve literally seen the word ‘Tory’ used as an insult. Is this a relatively new thing or has it been going on for years?

- I’m not disclosing what I am, for I am sort of neither, there are policies which I agree with for both of the political parties.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 00:09 - Jul 20 with 3286 viewsyorkshire

Right now we are being encouraged to be more polarized than ever before - there doesn't seem to be any middle ground anymore

In the UK I would consider myself a Liberal Conservative - I am not a massive fan of State involvement but at the same time I think a society is only as strong as it's weakest members - so helping those who want to help themselves is a good thing

I now live in the US and I am a long way away from the current conservatism out here. The backwards thinking, religious focused, nationalistic bigotry is horrible - the term Liberal is certainly used the same insulting way that Tory is over there (for different reasons obviously)

Most people I know lean a little bit left or a little bit right on a range of things but right now we seem unable to find common ground (or at least that is what the media would make you believe)
To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 00:11 - Jul 20 with 3287 viewsGuthrum

"Tory" was originally a 17th century political insult, the name being taken from a bunch of Irish brigands, used to describe the broadly pro-Jacobite, anti-Walpole, opposed to war with France faction which eventually morphed into what is now the Conservative Party.

Likewise "Wiggamores", shortened to "Whigs" (after a bunch of Scottish rioters) was applied to a distant ancestor of what are now the LibDems.

The two terms gained respectability in the 18th and 19th centuries.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2018 0:13]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 00:14 - Jul 20 with 3276 viewsmos

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 00:09 - Jul 20 by yorkshire

Right now we are being encouraged to be more polarized than ever before - there doesn't seem to be any middle ground anymore

In the UK I would consider myself a Liberal Conservative - I am not a massive fan of State involvement but at the same time I think a society is only as strong as it's weakest members - so helping those who want to help themselves is a good thing

I now live in the US and I am a long way away from the current conservatism out here. The backwards thinking, religious focused, nationalistic bigotry is horrible - the term Liberal is certainly used the same insulting way that Tory is over there (for different reasons obviously)

Most people I know lean a little bit left or a little bit right on a range of things but right now we seem unable to find common ground (or at least that is what the media would make you believe)

Yes, also the term ‘Liberal’ is used as an insult, which I find odd too.. I just can’t seem to get my head around it, they are two political terms often to describe someone’s stance. Where they stand likely determines the certain things they believe in, in how a society should be run, therefore to use the term as an insult just doesn’t really satisfy the point of it being an insult, IMO.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 00:19 - Jul 20 with 3264 viewsmos

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 00:11 - Jul 20 by Guthrum

"Tory" was originally a 17th century political insult, the name being taken from a bunch of Irish brigands, used to describe the broadly pro-Jacobite, anti-Walpole, opposed to war with France faction which eventually morphed into what is now the Conservative Party.

Likewise "Wiggamores", shortened to "Whigs" (after a bunch of Scottish rioters) was applied to a distant ancestor of what are now the LibDems.

The two terms gained respectability in the 18th and 19th centuries.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2018 0:13]

Ah, well maybe that does clear a few things up.

However if I’m correct in saying that there has been an increase in the word being used as an insult, then do you think that the increased usage of the word, as an insult, is largely because of its historical background? Or could it be through how media often encourages people to polarize into their separate right and left-winged groups? As Yorkshire suggested.

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 00:22 - Jul 20 with 3254 viewsjeera

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 00:14 - Jul 20 by mos

Yes, also the term ‘Liberal’ is used as an insult, which I find odd too.. I just can’t seem to get my head around it, they are two political terms often to describe someone’s stance. Where they stand likely determines the certain things they believe in, in how a society should be run, therefore to use the term as an insult just doesn’t really satisfy the point of it being an insult, IMO.

People hate things they are afraid of or don't understand.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 00:28 - Jul 20 with 3251 viewsGuthrum

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 00:14 - Jul 20 by mos

Something which originated in the States. In that context, it is a broad, catch-all term to describe everything the ultra-reactionary American Conservatives dislike (i.e. most forms of social change, anything which erodes an almost Darwinian individualism).

The USA never had the tradition of progressive, reforming Conservatism which existed in the UK from the 19th century (e.g. Lord Shaftesbury), to some extent as late as the advent of Thatcherism.

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 00:31 - Jul 20 with 3247 viewsGuthrum

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 00:19 - Jul 20 by mos

Ah, well maybe that does clear a few things up.

However if I’m correct in saying that there has been an increase in the word being used as an insult, then do you think that the increased usage of the word, as an insult, is largely because of its historical background? Or could it be through how media often encourages people to polarize into their separate right and left-winged groups? As Yorkshire suggested.

Back in the '80s, "Tory" was constantly used as an insult by those on the left (including widely in popular culture). With "Reds" used in the opposite direction.

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 00:42 - Jul 20 with 3221 viewsmos

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 00:31 - Jul 20 by Guthrum

Back in the '80s, "Tory" was constantly used as an insult by those on the left (including widely in popular culture). With "Reds" used in the opposite direction.

Ah well maybe my whole OP is meaningless now, it isn’t a new thing then.

Login to get fewer ads

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 00:46 - Jul 20 with 3216 viewsjeera

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 00:42 - Jul 20 by mos

It wasn't meaningless though.

If you don't ask then how are you going to find out new things?

It's good to be curious.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2018 0:46]

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 00:50 - Jul 20 with 3205 viewsmos

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 00:46 - Jul 20 by jeera

It wasn't meaningless though.

If you don't ask then how are you going to find out new things?

It's good to be curious.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2018 0:46]

I guess so. It’s a great thing.

Although it does seem that there has been a bit of a trend recently, or maybe I’ve just never really payed much attention to it all.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2018 0:51]

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 00:56 - Jul 20 with 3190 viewsjeera

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 00:50 - Jul 20 by mos

I guess so. It’s a great thing.

Although it does seem that there has been a bit of a trend recently, or maybe I’ve just never really payed much attention to it all.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2018 0:51]

It's always been there.

You're just noticing different things.

Nothing wrong with that either.

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 01:12 - Jul 20 with 3173 viewsGuthrum

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 00:42 - Jul 20 by mos

Not meaningless. We have most certainly entered a phase of increased polarisation, but it is part of a cycle rather than a totally new thing.

These situations are often products of significant economic and social stress (e.g. recession, austerity, unemployment).
[Post edited 20 Jul 2018 1:15]

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 07:12 - Jul 20 with 3034 viewsMullet

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 01:12 - Jul 20 by Guthrum

Not meaningless. We have most certainly entered a phase of increased polarisation, but it is part of a cycle rather than a totally new thing.

These situations are often products of significant economic and social stress (e.g. recession, austerity, unemployment).

Otherwise known as having a Tory government you mean?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 07:25 - Jul 20 with 3015 viewsBluefish

It is all part of the cult of Corbyn illusion. They have to get people afraid to get their support otherwise they might look deeper into their unworkable policies.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 07:34 - Jul 20 with 3009 viewsblueblueburleymcgrew

Sadly the word Tory is normally followed by the word scum.

Apparently it’s all part of the kinder gentler politics we are supposed to enjoying these days.
To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 07:41 - Jul 20 with 2965 viewsWD19

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 00:22 - Jul 20 by jeera

People hate things they are afraid of or don't understand.

Explains why a lot of people on here don’t appear to like football very much......
To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 07:44 - Jul 20 with 2959 viewsDubtractor

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 07:25 - Jul 20 by Bluefish

It is all part of the cult of Corbyn illusion. They have to get people afraid to get their support otherwise they might look deeper into their unworkable policies.

Coming from the Tory party that brought us the unworkable policy of Brexit that's a bit rich.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 07:52 - Jul 20 with 2942 viewsThe_Major

It always strikes me when BBC Parliament show an old election that although people may disagree, it seems a damned sight more civilised. Then at some point in the 1983-87 Thatcher Government, its almost as if the Tories came to the conclusion that they could do what the hell they wanted as they had such a large majority. And this seemed to coincide with a reduction in respect for one's opponent.

Take a look at the reaction to the defeat of Shirley Williams in 1979. Several Tories are seen on the BBC coverage expressing genuine regret that this has happened. These days, if say, Diane Abbott lost her seat, you'd probably get Gavin Williamson making a "loser" sign on his forehead.

It's becoming more and more apparent with each passing day, that constructive reasoned political debate is a thing of the past. Make no mistake, this is a problem that all parties have (Look at some of the nonsense that have come out of Labour since the present regime took place) and of course the media have to take their share of the blame for stirring things up.

But as we stand here, in a huge mess, and not knowing which way things will pan out, I have but one question to ask as I wonder what has become of us:

Can we have the grown-ups in charge again, please?
To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 08:08 - Jul 20 with 2891 viewsBorisOrTrevor

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 01:12 - Jul 20 by Guthrum

With social media and the internet the differences between the left and right (globalists vs nationalists alternatively) are being amplified. Much easier for somebody like Soros, the king of open borders, to chuck a few quid at it and promote his agenda.

BOT

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 08:11 - Jul 20 with 2887 viewsBluefish

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 07:44 - Jul 20 by Dubtractor

Coming from the Tory party that brought us the unworkable policy of Brexit that's a bit rich.

Hmm pretty sure the last 2 Tory leaders both wanted to remain. Old Jezza definitely wanted out. If DC hadn't offered the referendum it wouldn't have gone away we would seeing UKIP in parliament by now.

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 08:16 - Jul 20 with 2873 viewsGlasgowBlue

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 07:44 - Jul 20 by Dubtractor

I think you will find it was the majority of people who voted in the referendum who brought us Brexit. Cameron and May wanted to remain.

The referendum was a Tory policy. Jezza also voted to give the public a referendum. Nick Clegg put forward the idea of a referendum even earlier than Dave.

The only major political party to put forward Brexit as a policy in a manifesto was Labour under Footbin 1983.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 08:21 - Jul 20 with 2854 viewsBluefish

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 07:52 - Jul 20 by The_Major

It always strikes me when BBC Parliament show an old election that although people may disagree, it seems a damned sight more civilised. Then at some point in the 1983-87 Thatcher Government, its almost as if the Tories came to the conclusion that they could do what the hell they wanted as they had such a large majority. And this seemed to coincide with a reduction in respect for one's opponent.

Take a look at the reaction to the defeat of Shirley Williams in 1979. Several Tories are seen on the BBC coverage expressing genuine regret that this has happened. These days, if say, Diane Abbott lost her seat, you'd probably get Gavin Williamson making a "loser" sign on his forehead.

It's becoming more and more apparent with each passing day, that constructive reasoned political debate is a thing of the past. Make no mistake, this is a problem that all parties have (Look at some of the nonsense that have come out of Labour since the present regime took place) and of course the media have to take their share of the blame for stirring things up.

But as we stand here, in a huge mess, and not knowing which way things will pan out, I have but one question to ask as I wonder what has become of us:

Can we have the grown-ups in charge again, please?

I had a conversation yesterday about the complete lack of credible people on all sides of the house. When top jobs come up it absolute barrel scraping to fill them. Hunt and Redmond or thornberry and Abbott or farron. The possible credibles are pushed away through things like brexit views. I would prefer to see the likes of Sarah wollaton or anna soubry pushed forward.

MPs became hated and the only people happy to go forward are those with enormous wealth. I would rather see a bigger salary and more accountability to attract the best from elsewhere. This is painted as a Tory issue but it is the same for both sides. I wouldn't take the job on that pay and as you may realise I am far from being the best to offer

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 08:25 - Jul 20 with 2838 viewsHerbivore

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 07:25 - Jul 20 by Bluefish

Yeah, that's bollox though Truce. It's traditionally the right that utilities fear to win elections. Look at May's campaign last year, no positive vision for Britain simply scaremongering that anything other than a Tory government would lead to Britain collapsing in on itself. Her 'strong and stable' rhetoric (lolz) was reminiscent of the language used by some fascist parties in the 20th century. Corbyn's campaign, whether you agree with his policies or not, was based on positivity and a vision for a fairer Britain. This is but one example, go back a bit further and you have the Sun running a headline that if Labour win the election would the last person to leave the country turn the lights out. Pure fear. Look at the kind of stories the Sun and Mail publish generally. Fear, fear, fear. For someone who claims to never be wrong you are wrong with alarming frequency.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 08:44 - Jul 20 with 2795 viewsBluefish

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 08:25 - Jul 20 by Herbivore

Yeah, that's bollox though Truce. It's traditionally the right that utilities fear to win elections. Look at May's campaign last year, no positive vision for Britain simply scaremongering that anything other than a Tory government would lead to Britain collapsing in on itself. Her 'strong and stable' rhetoric (lolz) was reminiscent of the language used by some fascist parties in the 20th century. Corbyn's campaign, whether you agree with his policies or not, was based on positivity and a vision for a fairer Britain. This is but one example, go back a bit further and you have the Sun running a headline that if Labour win the election would the last person to leave the country turn the lights out. Pure fear. Look at the kind of stories the Sun and Mail publish generally. Fear, fear, fear. For someone who claims to never be wrong you are wrong with alarming frequency.

I've said lots of times that the greatest masterstroke by farage was to coin the phrase project fear while peddling constant lies himself. The Tories were then tarnished as negative scaremongers and they were clueless to a plan B.

Jezza is running with It now while sitting on a fantasy world lapped up by people that feel hard done by.

I would like a new politics away from the rigid Tory or the fantasy land Corbyn. Just give us something real and credible in opposition and bring the best from everyone. Both parties are currently hopeless but incredibly Corbyn manages to get TM elected

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 08:52 - Jul 20 with 2777 viewsHerbivore

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 08:44 - Jul 20 by Bluefish

I've said lots of times that the greatest masterstroke by farage was to coin the phrase project fear while peddling constant lies himself. The Tories were then tarnished as negative scaremongers and they were clueless to a plan B.

Jezza is running with It now while sitting on a fantasy world lapped up by people that feel hard done by.

I would like a new politics away from the rigid Tory or the fantasy land Corbyn. Just give us something real and credible in opposition and bring the best from everyone. Both parties are currently hopeless but incredibly Corbyn manages to get TM elected

The unwavering support of 90% of the UK press got May elected, a lot of what they published about the Labour party and Corbyn was innuendo and smear and not responsible reporting. Glad you've conceded that you were wrong about which side perpetuates fear though, that's progress.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024