Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Without going all MumsNet.... 10:00 - Jul 30 with 3371 viewsitfcjoe

...any idea on announcing babies to the world?

And basically is there anyway you can stop people posting on your facebook page? Is it possible to lock it down for a period until you are ready to?

Without going through all details, with out 1st, after we'd told close family they'd passed message on to others who were posting it on social media pages stressing us out as people were texting asking about it all.

My favourite was the friend of my sisters who 'announced' the name on my page before we'd even told our parents.....why are people so idiotic? It's clear they are just trying to show off they have knowledge of it rather than genuinely wishing well as that would come from a text or private message

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Without going all MumsNet.... on 10:03 - Jul 30 with 2419 viewswkj

There is a way to make it so you can moderate all posts made on your wall before allowing them to show up, althought I am not sure if that extend to comments or not.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Without going all MumsNet.... on 10:05 - Jul 30 with 2401 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

You can set your Facebook so that you have to review and approve anything you’re tagged in before it appears on your wall, but anyone the person posting is friends with can still see it by virtue of being friends with them, so probably won’t do you much good

Other than that the good old fashioned way - moderate who you tell and make sure they keep it quiet (and presumably not telling those that couldn’t last time!)

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Without going all MumsNet.... on 10:06 - Jul 30 with 2397 viewsKeno

when my daughter had her son late last year she asked everyone not to post anything anywhere until he was 'announced officially"

Everyone agreed to that and it worked well

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Without going all MumsNet.... on 10:08 - Jul 30 with 2381 viewswkj

Without going all MumsNet.... on 10:05 - Jul 30 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

You can set your Facebook so that you have to review and approve anything you’re tagged in before it appears on your wall, but anyone the person posting is friends with can still see it by virtue of being friends with them, so probably won’t do you much good

Other than that the good old fashioned way - moderate who you tell and make sure they keep it quiet (and presumably not telling those that couldn’t last time!)

Indeed, the moment something is broadcast online, even amoung small groups of people close to you, it in essense goes beyond your control. You could consider making a whatsapp group for people you're close to as it has an element of behind closed doors to it, but other than that, self moderation is the key really.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Without going all MumsNet.... on 10:10 - Jul 30 with 2357 viewsNo9

While facebook is so insecure why do people use it at all?
Without going all MumsNet.... on 10:12 - Jul 30 with 2339 viewsfactual_blue

The whole initial idea behind facebook was for students to show off.

It hasn't really developed beyond that.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Without going all MumsNet.... on 10:13 - Jul 30 with 2331 viewsitfcjoe

Without going all MumsNet.... on 10:05 - Jul 30 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

It's just frustrating - the one of my sisters friends I barely know and because my sister isn't on Facebook wouldn't even consider what a melt she is.

And then the problem is Mother in Law who can't keep anything quiet, and then all her family get the ump (Trademark Rommy) if they find out stuff online which I personally don't care about.

It's a pain in the arris, and took away some enjoyment last time as begin to worry about other people being annoyed which is stupid.

Without going all MumsNet.... on 10:14 - Jul 30 with 2318 viewsArcher4721

Without going all MumsNet.... on 10:10 - Jul 30 by No9

While facebook is so insecure why do people use it at all?

It's for "look at me" drama queens.
Login to get fewer ads

Without going all MumsNet.... on 10:14 - Jul 30 with 2314 viewsfactual_blue

Without going all MumsNet.... on 10:08 - Jul 30 by wkj

Indeed, the moment something is broadcast online, even amoung small groups of people close to you, it in essense goes beyond your control. You could consider making a whatsapp group for people you're close to as it has an element of behind closed doors to it, but other than that, self moderation is the key really.

Edited

You're not WD19.

[Post edited 30 Jul 2018 10:15]

Without going all MumsNet.... on 10:16 - Jul 30 with 2296 viewsNo9

Without going all MumsNet.... on 10:13 - Jul 30 by itfcjoe

It's just frustrating - the one of my sisters friends I barely know and because my sister isn't on Facebook wouldn't even consider what a melt she is.

And then the problem is Mother in Law who can't keep anything quiet, and then all her family get the ump (Trademark Rommy) if they find out stuff online which I personally don't care about.

It's a pain in the arris, and took away some enjoyment last time as begin to worry about other people being annoyed which is stupid.

Reading that you would do well to cancel your facebook account ASAP
Without going all MumsNet.... on 10:16 - Jul 30 with 2298 viewsitfcjoe

Without going all MumsNet.... on 10:14 - Jul 30 by Archer4721

It's for "look at me" drama queens.

It's also a good way for staying in touch with friends from across the globe

Without going all MumsNet.... on 10:17 - Jul 30 with 2288 viewsfactual_blue

Without going all MumsNet.... on 10:16 - Jul 30 by itfcjoe

It's also a good way for staying in touch with friends from across the globe

As are e-mails, whatsapp groups, skype......

Without going all MumsNet.... on 10:17 - Jul 30 with 2290 viewsReuser_is_God

Without going all MumsNet.... on 10:13 - Jul 30 by itfcjoe

When we announced ours we told our immediate families in person, whatsapp message to cousins, friends etc then put it on social media.

All this within a few hours because we knew people wouldn’t keep it quiet.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Without going all MumsNet.... on 10:19 - Jul 30 with 2277 viewsitfcjoe

Without going all MumsNet.... on 10:17 - Jul 30 by factual_blue

As are e-mails, whatsapp groups, skype......

All of which I also use....

Without going all MumsNet.... on 10:19 - Jul 30 with 2266 viewsDanFord

Congratulations on the birth of little Kevin Johnny Frans Arnold Marcus Hermann Pablo Shefki ITFCJoe.

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

Without going all MumsNet.... on 10:21 - Jul 30 with 2262 viewsitfcjoe

Without going all MumsNet.... on 10:17 - Jul 30 by Reuser_is_God

When we announced ours we told our immediate families in person, whatsapp message to cousins, friends etc then put it on social media.

All this within a few hours because we knew people wouldn’t keep it quiet.

For me, it's just the way people post it publicly like it's congratulating you when it is just a look at me post. If I want to congratulate someone I send them a (private) message.

Without going all MumsNet.... on 10:22 - Jul 30 with 2237 viewsDanFord

Without going all MumsNet.... on 10:21 - Jul 30 by itfcjoe

For me, it's just the way people post it publicly like it's congratulating you when it is just a look at me post. If I want to congratulate someone I send them a (private) message.

Like TWTD, idiots are everywhere. Personally you should tell your parents and siblings that the baby has and tell them not to tell anybody else. Then tell your parents the name separately and then announce it to the world later so nobody is going to rain on your parade.

Without going all MumsNet.... on 10:24 - Jul 30 with 2228 viewstextbackup

Can’t you just tell the close friends family not to be pricks and not tell anyone until they get the ok from you or wife?

Surely they aren’t stupid enough to do so if you request they don’t?

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Without going all MumsNet.... on 10:26 - Jul 30 with 2216 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Without going all MumsNet.... on 10:16 - Jul 30 by No9

Reading that you would do well to cancel your facebook account ASAP

Why?

It won’t make any difference to this scenario - if they post about it then people that are friends with them will still see it, the only difference would be that he wouldn’t be able to see that they’d done it

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Without going all MumsNet.... on 10:30 - Jul 30 with 2197 viewsitfcjoe

Without going all MumsNet.... on 10:24 - Jul 30 by textbackup

Can’t you just tell the close friends family not to be pricks and not tell anyone until they get the ok from you or wife?

Surely they aren’t stupid enough to do so if you request they don’t?

Mother in Law is the problem in most of this - even if it is said she'll tell her brother and sister, who will tell their partners and kids and then all of a sudden 10-15 people know and my missus is getting stressed as we then we need to tell close friends before they find out 2nd hand and it goes from there.

Maybe I just won't tell anyone and just casually drop round my parents with new baby (although explaining why they need to have eldest for a couple of nights will be difficult!)

Without going all MumsNet.... on 10:42 - Jul 30 with 2148 viewsPinewoodblue

Just two telephone calls, both sets of parents, then announcement via what's app group set up in advance so everyone you want to know is told at the sane time.

Mention in your what's app announcements that Facebook is off limits.

Follow up with photos.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Without going all MumsNet.... on 10:46 - Jul 30 with 2125 viewsDanFord

Without going all MumsNet.... on 10:30 - Jul 30 by itfcjoe

Mother in Law is the problem in most of this - even if it is said she'll tell her brother and sister, who will tell their partners and kids and then all of a sudden 10-15 people know and my missus is getting stressed as we then we need to tell close friends before they find out 2nd hand and it goes from there.

Maybe I just won't tell anyone and just casually drop round my parents with new baby (although explaining why they need to have eldest for a couple of nights will be difficult!)

Oh f*** it. Just embrace it then. Live stream the birth on Facebook from multiple phones at different angles. Have a mum cam and a dad cam. Get someone like Rylan to talk about the whole process, get a couple of actors in to play a fake midwife and consultant for a bit of a 'top bantz' gag on your wife as she's pushing the baby out, create yourself a twitter hastag, get the Donald to MENTION IT ON HIS TWITTER FEED!!! and despair of humanity as you do all of the above.

(No subject) (n/t) on 10:54 - Jul 30 with 2087 viewschicoazul

Without going all MumsNet.... on 10:46 - Jul 30 by DanFord

Oh f*** it. Just embrace it then. Live stream the birth on Facebook from multiple phones at different angles. Have a mum cam and a dad cam. Get someone like Rylan to talk about the whole process, get a couple of actors in to play a fake midwife and consultant for a bit of a 'top bantz' gag on your wife as she's pushing the baby out, create yourself a twitter hastag, get the Donald to MENTION IT ON HIS TWITTER FEED!!! and despair of humanity as you do all of the above.

You really are an idiot. The OP asks people for help, opinions etc and you come up with this crap. Delete your account.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2018 10:54]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Without going all MumsNet.... on 10:58 - Jul 30 with 2068 viewsbackwiththeboysagain

Come off social media. You’ll never escape the idiots otherwise, never personally been on Facebook but seen the hassle it brings through the OH and friends
(No subject) (n/t) on 11:00 - Jul 30 with 2057 viewsDanFord

(No subject) (n/t) on 10:54 - Jul 30 by chicoazul

You really are an idiot. The OP asks people for help, opinions etc and you come up with this crap. Delete your account.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2018 10:54]

Doesn't seem to stop you providing nonsensical b*llocks by way of reply to anything you feel free to comment on. Delete your account.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024