Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some Last Minute Thoughts Ahead of Today's Game... 09:04 - Aug 4 with 1928 viewsHarryfromBath

With things settling down on the previews front, I had a look around on the Blackburn forums last night to reflect on today's game. This is not a summary of their thoughts, but more about our wider mood and things to watch out for today...

One thing which is abundantly clear is just how different and utterly positive the mood has been among supporters in the last few weeks. It's as if this is a completely new club. I can't remember a buzz on the opening day build-up quite like this in years.

Don't underestimate the importance of this or how beneficial it will be. Just as we saw the downbeat mood last year affect us, we can harness this optimism to really help galvanize the team and get the season off to a flyer.

It has been hard to keep up with all of the news stories about players we have been linked with, but for me the best news was Bart's new three-year contract. The starting XI is full of young peppery players, but Bart will help keep the balance of age and youth with his experience, plus the fact that he's a bloody brilliant keeper.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for Blackburn, they have agreed a deal to re-sign striker Adam Armstrong from Newcastle but the Newcastle Chronicle said that this would happen "next week". They are light in options up front and will rely on Bradley Dack and Danny Graham heavily today, but this late signing confirms that they are lightweight up front right now.

Dack was described by one Rover as "a cross between Gascoigne and Tevez", and he uses his strength to bounce off players in the number 10 role. His battle with Skuse today will is a great side-show throughout the game. He's "a niggly little git" and nutmegged Liverpool's Ragnar Klavan in a pre-season friendly. Much of what they do goes through him.

Kasey Palmer is expected to come off the bench as he builds match fitness. He played in the Huddersfield promotion team behind Nahki Wells and alongside Aaron Mooy, but has an injury-hit campaign last year before being used mostly as a bench option by Gary Rowett's Derby in the second half of the season. He is their plan B with his mobility and trickery.

Watch out for centre-back Charlie Mulgrew at set-pieces. His free-kicks, especially from the right side, are very dangerous and he is very good at picking up flick-ons and headers at corners. He scored 15 goals last season in League One.

Their central midfielders are solid, although Richard Smallwood does switch off when teams counter-attack against Rovers. This came up a fair few times so we could overload them on players breaking into the box on the counter.

While their centre-halves are defensively consistent, their full-backs Nyambe, Bell and Williams are still raw and Hurst may well target Rovers on both flanks here. The keeper Raya is a brilliant shot-stopper, but is also still a work-in-progress on crosses and commanding his box.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blackburn have momentum, losing only three of the last 35 league games last season, but we will definitely be a step up in quality compared to anything they faced last year. They are a close-knit team who trust each other and there have been few changes from last season.

Bearing this in mind, patience may be needed and it could be a test of how Hurst reads the game and makes alterations up against an experienced Tony Mowbray. That said, it promises to be entertaining, and it will simply be a thrill for everyone to see a Town team properly going for an opponent again at Portman Road!

Have a great day everyone! Come On You Blues!

[Post edited 4 Aug 2018 9:45]

That's a fair pile of assumptions you've jumped to there.....
Poll: Who Do You Think Will Win The Championship Play-offs?
Blog: How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure

Some Last Minute Thoughts Ahead of Today's Game... on 09:06 - Aug 4 with 1896 viewswkj

Thanks harry for your extra credit assignment, up the towen

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Some Last Minute Thoughts Ahead of Today's Game... on 09:08 - Aug 4 with 1876 viewsMullet

Palmer, Mulgrew and Dack all have the makings of a decent second tier team if they get it right. I can see Blackburn staying up this season regardless of what happens today. Mogga for all his faults, won’t likely see them down without some severe bad luck.

Also, your work this summer has been fantastic mate. Glad to see you get so much recognition.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Some Last Minute Thoughts Ahead of Today's Game... on 09:13 - Aug 4 with 1836 viewshoppy

Are you not able to get across today? Too busy?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Nice one Mr Bathers on 09:19 - Aug 4 with 1795 viewsDyland

COYFB :)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

thanks Harry... two key points... on 09:38 - Aug 4 with 1722 viewsunstableblue

From your musings....

1) Blackburn are used to winning, that why I think our first 2 games are not as easy as we may think

2) There is a bit of a ying yang in the fact they’re stepping up a league - we have supposedly another level set of players in the likes of chambers, Knudsen, Skuse, bart and dare I say sears... but we’re also blooding lower league players ourselves (this may boost the likes of Edwards and Harrison thinking its Blackburn and not stoke) - but for me I would really like Waghorn to start... he is a level up for the Blackburn defence to deal with

Anyway can’t remember wanting us to win a game more than I do today!! Since Wembley I guess.

Come on boys deliver entertainment and points.

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Some Last Minute Thoughts Ahead of Today's Game... on 10:59 - Aug 4 with 1561 viewsnshearman1

Thanks Harry, very exciting, although I actually think this might be a fairly even patchy match. Can't wait to see you this season now I'm in such a more positive frame of mind! I think being able to hit teams on the break is an essential quality to have in getting out of this league.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024