Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Comments on today 22:17 - Aug 11 with 4547 viewsRobbie12345

Nsilala looks great, saved us from definite goals 3/4 times! Nolan also very good, if a little goal shy (understandable on debut).

Donacien is terrible, truely would prefer Iorfa and I thought he was the worst RB we have played in my lifetime.

Unsure about Harrison, he needs to start scoring and quick.

Bart needs to step up, he has been poor these last two games.

Their #5 CB Ajaji was incredible, amazing game from him, please please please sign him! 🙏🏽

So mad about today, not really cause we lost, more because of our next few opponents and chances vs them. Gunna be a long season but need to stick by the boys, lots of postives just need to score more and defend better as a whole.

[Post edited 11 Aug 2018 22:19]

Poll: You can start one vs Birmingham

Comments on today on 22:26 - Aug 11 with 3394 viewsgtsb

I actually think this is the year we go down BUT think we will come back bigger and stronger. We have changed everything within the club too quickly. I think that by the time some of the players get to championship level it will be too late. We desperately needed change and we've got it but too much too quickly IMHO.
Comments on today on 22:34 - Aug 11 with 3346 viewsRobbie12345

Comments on today on 22:26 - Aug 11 by gtsb

I actually think this is the year we go down BUT think we will come back bigger and stronger. We have changed everything within the club too quickly. I think that by the time some of the players get to championship level it will be too late. We desperately needed change and we've got it but too much too quickly IMHO.

Don’t think we will go down but it looks like it’s gunna be a battle! I think on paper today we looked really strong, with Chambo, knudsen, Skuse, Ward, and Bart all starting who got us mid table last year, I can’t see the current line up going down with players coming back like Huws and Dozz. Thankfully it is early days but as you imply it is very worrying.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2018 1:30]

Comments on today on 22:41 - Aug 11 with 3300 viewsgtsb

Comments on today on 22:34 - Aug 11 by Robbie12345

Don’t think we will go down but it looks like it’s gunna be a battle! I think on paper today we looked really strong, with Chambo, knudsen, Skuse, Ward, and Bart all starting who got us mid table last year, I can’t see the current line up going down with players coming back like Huws and Dozz. Thankfully it is early days but as you imply it is very worrying.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2018 1:30]

I hope I'm wrong I really do but the team has changed dramatically and with lower league players. The next few fixtures aren't kind and I fear the new players confidence will take a massive hit if we lose. It's a massive gamble the club and manager have taken and in the end it may work but I fear we will go down before we start to rise.
Comments on today on 22:43 - Aug 11 with 3284 viewspointofblue

Comments on today on 22:41 - Aug 11 by gtsb

I hope I'm wrong I really do but the team has changed dramatically and with lower league players. The next few fixtures aren't kind and I fear the new players confidence will take a massive hit if we lose. It's a massive gamble the club and manager have taken and in the end it may work but I fear we will go down before we start to rise.

I guess this is the role of the fans - if we're going to go through a horrific sticky patch as the new players adjusts then we have to stay onside; no turning on Evans or targets on the pitch, keep the positive atmosphere going and not knock their confidence any further.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Comments on today on 22:50 - Aug 11 with 3236 viewsRobbie12345

Comments on today on 22:41 - Aug 11 by gtsb

Knowing Ipswich we will beat Villa and all will be rosey again 🙈🙈

Comments on today on 22:51 - Aug 11 with 3228 viewsgtsb

Comments on today on 22:43 - Aug 11 by pointofblue

I guess this is the role of the fans - if we're going to go through a horrific sticky patch as the new players adjusts then we have to stay onside; no turning on Evans or targets on the pitch, keep the positive atmosphere going and not knock their confidence any further.

Whilst I agree I think the honeymoon period will quickly deteriorate.
Comments on today on 22:53 - Aug 11 with 3223 viewspointofblue

Comments on today on 22:51 - Aug 11 by gtsb

Whilst I agree I think the honeymoon period will quickly deteriorate.

And I think the ire will turn on Evans rather than Hurst or the squad but that's still not going to be helpful to those on the pitch.

Robbie12345 - no, I can't get my hopes up like that. I'm already developing a nervous twitch simply because we lost our second game of the season!

Comments on today on 22:55 - Aug 11 with 3216 viewsmrshallisfit

Comments on today on 22:43 - Aug 11 by pointofblue

Why no turning on Evans? He is the key reason we are in this position in the first place.
Login to get fewer ads

Comments on today on 22:55 - Aug 11 with 3211 viewsSuperfrans

Personally, I don’t think we’ll go down. I think we’ll end up with enough to steer clear. But it might go quite late (to Easter, or beyond) until we’re certain. But that’s consistent with my general view for some time that mid-table would be good.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Comments on today on 22:58 - Aug 11 with 3185 viewspointofblue

Comments on today on 22:55 - Aug 11 by mrshallisfit

Why no turning on Evans? He is the key reason we are in this position in the first place.

As I said above a negative atmosphere in the stands is hardly going to help the players, even if the calls are not directed to them. What will the chants be implying to the players? "You're crap, we need the chairman/owner to spend more to bring better in".

Comments on today on 22:59 - Aug 11 with 3183 viewsGuthrum

As I said elsewhere, I don't think we had much choice. It was always going to be a case of lots of change or almost none (which wouldn't have been enough).

Plus I think we have quite a lot of time to get things right. As long as the majority of fans hold their nerve and the coaching team has the skill to emphasise the positives and keep player morale up (even, perhaps, creating that notorious siege mentality). We could be bottom in October and still easily finish mid-table - it's happened before.

I've been saying for a while that we will start the season slowly, then begin to climb the table as things come together, with perhaps a late run driven by superior fitness.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Comments on today on 23:03 - Aug 11 with 3147 viewsGuthrum

I'm not convinced that it was Evans (rather than the fans) pushing for McCarthy to leave and an overhaul of the team.

Comments on today on 23:07 - Aug 11 with 3115 viewspointofblue

Comments on today on 23:03 - Aug 11 by Guthrum

I'm not convinced that it was Evans (rather than the fans) pushing for McCarthy to leave and an overhaul of the team.

Let's go into fan psyche for a moment - McCarthy going was a must but the expectation was we would be able to overhaul the squad whilst keeping hold of those who performed for us this year. The finger pointing will be over Evans not putting more money in to allow Hurst to improve the squad without having to sell.

Comments on today on 23:08 - Aug 11 with 3111 viewsconnorscontract

What, operationally solvent (due to his funding) in the Championship, as opposed to bankrupt and kicked out of the Football League?
Comments on today on 23:10 - Aug 11 with 3094 viewsgtsb

Comments on today on 22:59 - Aug 11 by Guthrum

As I said elsewhere, I don't think we had much choice. It was always going to be a case of lots of change or almost none (which wouldn't have been enough).

Plus I think we have quite a lot of time to get things right. As long as the majority of fans hold their nerve and the coaching team has the skill to emphasise the positives and keep player morale up (even, perhaps, creating that notorious siege mentality). We could be bottom in October and still easily finish mid-table - it's happened before.

I've been saying for a while that we will start the season slowly, then begin to climb the table as things come together, with perhaps a late run driven by superior fitness.

I think that the lots of change you refer to is all with players from the lower leagues and some people ,rightly or wrongly, time will tell, will say that weve gambled. Personally I like the philosophy of giving talent a chance. Whether we've bought too many lower league players only time will tell.
Comments on today on 23:13 - Aug 11 with 3079 viewsbournemouthblue

It's going to take some time to gel this side, in some cases they've barely trained together so it will take time

Rotherham must be fairly settled with promotion, much as Blackburn were

After Mick's reign, who'd have thought we'd have lost a game like this with tonnes of possession and plenty of shots on target? A huge contrast from a MM performance

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Comments on today on 23:15 - Aug 11 with 3061 viewsportmanking

Comments on today on 23:13 - Aug 11 by bournemouthblue

It's going to take some time to gel this side, in some cases they've barely trained together so it will take time

Rotherham must be fairly settled with promotion, much as Blackburn were

After Mick's reign, who'd have thought we'd have lost a game like this with tonnes of possession and plenty of shots on target? A huge contrast from a MM performance

We had three shots on target the entire game....

It was toothless in the final third - you can't dress it up any other way.

We move on to next week regardless.
Comments on today on 23:16 - Aug 11 with 3054 viewsGuthrum

Comments on today on 23:07 - Aug 11 by pointofblue

Let's go into fan psyche for a moment - McCarthy going was a must but the expectation was we would be able to overhaul the squad whilst keeping hold of those who performed for us this year. The finger pointing will be over Evans not putting more money in to allow Hurst to improve the squad without having to sell.

Putting what money in? The man's wealth is not oil revenue, income from Far Eastern trading empires or dodgy leveraged borrowings, but almost entirely the value of the company he heads. I doubt he has an extra £5m spare cash (on top of the funds he already contributes to keep ITFC ticking over every year), quite apart from the risk of a FFP transfer embargo down the line.

In any case, do you really think we could have kept hold of Waghorn, with several clubs offering big fees - and high wages for the player himself?

Comments on today on 23:21 - Aug 11 with 3017 viewsportmanking

I think you've hit the nail on the head there.

What would have been preferable IMO was to sell Webster and Garner, but retain Waghorn and have some solid Championship performers throughout the spine of the team. Wouldn't have given us collateral to sign as many as nine new faces but possible what... 4-5?
Comments on today on 23:21 - Aug 11 with 3017 viewsGuthrum

Comments on today on 23:10 - Aug 11 by gtsb

I think that the lots of change you refer to is all with players from the lower leagues and some people ,rightly or wrongly, time will tell, will say that weve gambled. Personally I like the philosophy of giving talent a chance. Whether we've bought too many lower league players only time will tell.

We can afford good lower-division players (such as those Hurst has hired) or average/fragile/previously out-of-form Championship ones (the latter being where McCarthy primarily shopped). Both are a gamble and stand a chance of not working out.

Good Championship players are way out of our price range.

Comments on today on 23:21 - Aug 11 with 3014 viewspointofblue

Comments on today on 23:16 - Aug 11 by Guthrum

Putting what money in? The man's wealth is not oil revenue, income from Far Eastern trading empires or dodgy leveraged borrowings, but almost entirely the value of the company he heads. I doubt he has an extra £5m spare cash (on top of the funds he already contributes to keep ITFC ticking over every year), quite apart from the risk of a FFP transfer embargo down the line.

In any case, do you really think we could have kept hold of Waghorn, with several clubs offering big fees - and high wages for the player himself?

I didn't say that was right; it's just want those who will turn on him believe... I presume, anyway. Not that it makes sense but nothing else does either when it comes to the perception of Evans' approach from some.

Comments on today on 23:22 - Aug 11 with 3006 viewsgtsb

Hurst has bought in the players he wanted. It's his side and he will live or die by it.
Comments on today on 23:23 - Aug 11 with 2995 viewsGuthrum

Comments on today on 23:21 - Aug 11 by pointofblue

I didn't say that was right; it's just want those who will turn on him believe... I presume, anyway. Not that it makes sense but nothing else does either when it comes to the perception of Evans' approach from some.

Unfortunately so.

Comments on today on 23:25 - Aug 11 with 2983 viewsportmanking

Comments on today on 23:22 - Aug 11 by gtsb

Hurst has bought in the players he wanted. It's his side and he will live or die by it.

You're quite right it's his squad, which is somewhat bizarre to say after just two months.

It almost doesn't feel like this is a long-term project. We've panicked and gutted the squad within the last month rather than slowly evolve it over the next two-to-three windows.

Unnecessarily boom or bust.
Comments on today on 23:36 - Aug 11 with 2926 viewsgtsb

Comments on today on 23:25 - Aug 11 by portmanking

You're quite right it's his squad, which is somewhat bizarre to say after just two months.

It almost doesn't feel like this is a long-term project. We've panicked and gutted the squad within the last month rather than slowly evolve it over the next two-to-three windows.

Unnecessarily boom or bust.

That's how I feel and unfortunately that is why I think we will go down.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024