Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Confidence 12:03 - Aug 22 with 2225 viewsFrimleyBlue

Looking at last nights lineup, I see 6 players who I can't see have more than 20 championship games between them.

It's too difficult to judge at this point if they can make the grade, the short term issue however is the confidence these players need to have in themselves.

A lot has been said about the 1 up top situation and I am a lover of 4 4 2 but see the benefits in alternatives. The lack of belief in playing that final ball, or making those late runs into the box is for me the biggest thing to try and resolve as soon as possible. Could a behind closed doors friendly be an idea? drop a few into a midweek u23 game etc? There's a lot of fresh blood in the squad who need to believe in what they can do.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Confidence on 12:34 - Aug 22 with 2139 viewsJ2BLUE

Go on then, give us a laugh. Name them.

Four games in, six players...4x6=24 so you might already be near or over your prediction...

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Confidence on 12:39 - Aug 22 with 2124 viewsitfcjoe

Confidence on 12:34 - Aug 22 by J2BLUE

Go on then, give us a laugh. Name them.

Four games in, six players...4x6=24 so you might already be near or over your prediction...

Chalobah 4
Donacien 4
Nsiala 3
Nolan 3
Edwards 4
Harrison 4

Total 22, but in fairness was 16 before kick of yesterday

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Confidence on 12:41 - Aug 22 with 2104 viewsSomethingBlue

They just need to train and play together more. Simple as that. All of them have shown good things, as well as things to work on, already — I don't see that we should be doing things any differently at this time.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Confidence on 12:42 - Aug 22 with 2097 viewsFrimleyBlue

Confidence on 12:39 - Aug 22 by itfcjoe

Chalobah 4
Donacien 4
Nsiala 3
Nolan 3
Edwards 4
Harrison 4

Total 22, but in fairness was 16 before kick of yesterday

yeah sorry, didn't take into effect last nights

Sorry J2 I bow to thee

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Confidence on 12:43 - Aug 22 with 2078 viewsJ2BLUE

Confidence on 12:42 - Aug 22 by FrimleyBlue

yeah sorry, didn't take into effect last nights

Sorry J2 I bow to thee

Actually I misunderstood what you meant. I thought you meant they will never have more than 20 starts, not that they were currently on less than 20 starts combined.

Apologies.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Confidence on 12:44 - Aug 22 with 2074 viewsSuperblue95

A friendly? During a congested season? When Hurst wants to play a high pressing game?

That would do more harm than good I think

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Confidence on 18:06 - Aug 22 with 1898 viewsgt81

4-4-2 is very limited by today's standards but given what we have at our disposal and what I've seen so far we might be better off going back to basics until Hurst has had more time to work with the squad on the training ground.
Confidence on 07:15 - Aug 23 with 1742 viewsCurrie10

Confidence on 18:06 - Aug 22 by gt81

4-4-2 is very limited by today's standards but given what we have at our disposal and what I've seen so far we might be better off going back to basics until Hurst has had more time to work with the squad on the training ground.

Is it though?

Apparently 3-5-2 was completely outdated / dinosaurs play it etc however that's made a return the past few years.

Effective 4-4-2 play with players capable will always be worth a go.
Login to get fewer ads

Confidence on 08:02 - Aug 23 with 1686 viewsgt81

Confidence on 07:15 - Aug 23 by Currie10

Is it though?

Apparently 3-5-2 was completely outdated / dinosaurs play it etc however that's made a return the past few years.

Effective 4-4-2 play with players capable will always be worth a go.

Yes. I was reading about formations yesterday. Google football formations explained or something to that effect and you can get the lowdown on why 4-2-3-1 has superceded 4-4-2 as the new standard.

I'll definitely agree that in the short term, with the players we have and their current level of experience, it might be best to simplify and play 4-4-2 until Hurst has had more time with them on the training ground, but few teams with any aspirations utilise it these days as it's limited in it's scope and flexibility and easily neutralised by skilled teams.
Confidence on 08:55 - Aug 23 with 1568 viewsconnorscontract

Confidence on 08:02 - Aug 23 by gt81

Yes. I was reading about formations yesterday. Google football formations explained or something to that effect and you can get the lowdown on why 4-2-3-1 has superceded 4-4-2 as the new standard.

I'll definitely agree that in the short term, with the players we have and their current level of experience, it might be best to simplify and play 4-4-2 until Hurst has had more time with them on the training ground, but few teams with any aspirations utilise it these days as it's limited in it's scope and flexibility and easily neutralised by skilled teams.

By playing out and out wingers in a 4-2-3-1 there is a danger that the CF never gets support. It tends to work best when the "3" are all Number 10's and have the nous and ability (and instructions) to play all across the front line to create and exploit space. By interchanging positions they make it very difficult for defences to maintain shape and pick up late runs.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2018 8:59]
Confidence on 11:25 - Aug 23 with 1469 viewsgt81

Confidence on 08:55 - Aug 23 by connorscontract

By playing out and out wingers in a 4-2-3-1 there is a danger that the CF never gets support. It tends to work best when the "3" are all Number 10's and have the nous and ability (and instructions) to play all across the front line to create and exploit space. By interchanging positions they make it very difficult for defences to maintain shape and pick up late runs.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2018 8:59]

There is that, plus the danger of a 4-3-2-1 if not played correctly is that it looks like what we're seeing at the moment - slow, ponderous and more like a defensive 4-5-1 with an isolated centre forward because the midfield are too far back and the wing backs are trapped behind the midfield. Plus the lone striker allows the opposition to push a defender further forward to swamp the midfield which makes it hard to push forwards.

Given we have one of the lowest average ages in the division, I am surprised at the lack of energy and movement so far. 4-2-3-1 does require high energy and fitness to be effective.
Confidence on 12:02 - Aug 23 with 1420 viewsAljoBlue

I see a lot about lack of championship experience and i do understand that.

However we are not buying run of the mill league 1 or league 2 players - we have signed the players Paul Hurst believes are the best from those leagues and generally they have lots of first team experience albeit not in the championship.

Whilst i would love to see some of our youngsters come through into the first team, they have little/no championship or first team experience.

From what i have seen so far this season i think Edwards, Nisiala and Donacien have already adjusted well to the championship; Nolan will soon be there and of the loans Chalobah looks some player in the making (shame we are presumably paying Chelsea for the privilege of giving him excellent first team experience).

Whilst Knudsen, Sears and Ward have championship experience, they are having to adapt to a new style of play and possibly do not have the ability to adapt. Having a lot of championship experience is making a difference though as both Chambers and Skuse are adapting quicker and they definitely provide the composure and leadership to the others.

if we are looking for championship experience i think we need a player of 2 with lots of championship experience but possibly only nearer the end of careers.
Confidence on 12:12 - Aug 23 with 1381 viewsSouperJim

Confidence on 12:02 - Aug 23 by AljoBlue

I see a lot about lack of championship experience and i do understand that.

However we are not buying run of the mill league 1 or league 2 players - we have signed the players Paul Hurst believes are the best from those leagues and generally they have lots of first team experience albeit not in the championship.

Whilst i would love to see some of our youngsters come through into the first team, they have little/no championship or first team experience.

From what i have seen so far this season i think Edwards, Nisiala and Donacien have already adjusted well to the championship; Nolan will soon be there and of the loans Chalobah looks some player in the making (shame we are presumably paying Chelsea for the privilege of giving him excellent first team experience).

Whilst Knudsen, Sears and Ward have championship experience, they are having to adapt to a new style of play and possibly do not have the ability to adapt. Having a lot of championship experience is making a difference though as both Chambers and Skuse are adapting quicker and they definitely provide the composure and leadership to the others.

if we are looking for championship experience i think we need a player of 2 with lots of championship experience but possibly only nearer the end of careers.

Great post. In terms of experience, some little things have shown up for me. Inability to get anything out of the ref against Villa. Derby's first goal, goal kick given, we lined up in the box to defend a corner, decision overturned to a corner on Derby's appeal. If we had walked out for the goal kick it would have been different.

We're not quite a team yet. It'll come.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024