Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Excellent statement from Evans on the academy 07:27 - Sep 6 with 4522 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

On the club website. No doubt Phil will post here shortly.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Excellent statement from Evans on the academy on 07:49 - Sep 6 with 3328 viewsBrixtonBlue

Yes, very well said Marcus.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Excellent statement from Evans on the academy on 08:01 - Sep 6 with 3262 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Been said for years though hasn’t it. I remember Simon Jordan going to town in the press when he lost Julian Gray and, perhaps Routledge?

Until the major premier league clubs are adversely impacted nothing will change.
Excellent statement from Evans on the academy on 08:05 - Sep 6 with 3246 viewscarlisleaway

What a great statement from Evans, it just shows what support he has for the Academy
Excellent statement from Evans on the academy on 08:12 - Sep 6 with 3202 viewsReuser_is_God

Excellent statement from Evans on the academy on 08:01 - Sep 6 by PrideOfTheEast

Been said for years though hasn’t it. I remember Simon Jordan going to town in the press when he lost Julian Gray and, perhaps Routledge?

Until the major premier league clubs are adversely impacted nothing will change.

This.

It’s all very nice from Evans but anyone with a couple of brain cells will know it won’t change a thing.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Excellent statement from Evans on the academy on 08:14 - Sep 6 with 3194 viewstextbackup

Im glad he's said it, as I had concerns that this might be an area he'd look to save money.
hopefully other owners/clubs will join in and we'll see a fairer way of things happening.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Excellent statement from Evans on the academy on 08:29 - Sep 6 with 3146 viewsitfcjoe

Too wordy and around the point for me, needs to focus more on players valuation after that 100 appearance and look to get that side readdressed

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Excellent statement from Evans on the academy on 08:30 - Sep 6 with 3129 viewstractorboy1978

It's a great read and I am glad he said it but ultimately it won't change anything. The FA and the Premier League want the elite English players playing in the elite Cat 1 academies and will do nothing that may jeopardise that.
Excellent statement from Evans on the academy on 08:31 - Sep 6 with 3125 viewsitfcjoe

Excellent statement from Evans on the academy on 08:01 - Sep 6 by PrideOfTheEast

It was John Bostock who was the main one.

But PL clubs are starting to be affected now, with moves abroad and between them happening regularly.

I don’t think that the initial compensations are too low in reality, but ultimately if these players make it then more should be given at that point.

Login to get fewer ads

Excellent statement from Evans on the academy on 08:33 - Sep 6 with 3115 viewstextbackup

Excellent statement from Evans on the academy on 08:29 - Sep 6 by itfcjoe

Too wordy and around the point for me, needs to focus more on players valuation after that 100 appearance and look to get that side readdressed

just saying with a couple of mates, that its the sell on stuff that should be imposed. for example, if ben knight is sold for 15m, we receive 4/5m of that

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Excellent statement from Evans on the academy on 08:36 - Sep 6 with 3093 viewsitfcjoe

Excellent statement from Evans on the academy on 08:33 - Sep 6 by textbackup

just saying with a couple of mates, that its the sell on stuff that should be imposed. for example, if ben knight is sold for 15m, we receive 4/5m of that

There should be an element of a sell on, or a percentage of value at prescribed time because like ME says if he plays 100 PL games for Man City he will be worth ridiculous money

Excellent statement from Evans on the academy on 08:37 - Sep 6 with 3084 viewstractorboy1978

I suppose the question is, what is fair? I assume he is talking about either Knight or Flores, if they play 100 times for City or Arsenal then like Evans says, you are talking £30m or more. That figure moving from £900k to £1.5m or £2m is clearly better but you'd struggle to argue it fair.

It also doesn't make the pill of losing your best talent after working with them and investing in them for 6/7 years any easier to swallow - which is what it boils down to for a lot of people (fans in particular) when all said and done.

I accept this is the way it is, but it doesn't make it any less sh!t.
Excellent statement from Evans on the academy on 08:40 - Sep 6 with 3069 viewscarlisleaway

Perhaps all the Championship and lower league clubs should stop there players being part of any International squads until the Premiership and FA start taking this seriously. Mind you would Premierships clubs worry, it is all about them.
Excellent statement from Evans on the academy on 08:43 - Sep 6 with 3051 viewsKieran_Knows

Yer, I thought the same to be honest.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Excellent statement from Evans on the academy on 08:49 - Sep 6 with 3020 viewsITFC_Forever

Excellent statement from Evans on the academy on 08:36 - Sep 6 by itfcjoe

There should be an element of a sell on, or a percentage of value at prescribed time because like ME says if he plays 100 PL games for Man City he will be worth ridiculous money

But the chances of him (or any of his peers) making 100 appearances for Man City's first team are remote to say the least.
Of all the kids in their system in the same boat, perhaps one will get to be a first team regular. That individual has then got to make it to 100 games. Very little chance of that happening. The clause of a few quid when they play 100 times for the first time may as well be a clause for them flying to Mars on a surfboard.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Excellent statement from Evans on the academy on 08:49 - Sep 6 with 3019 viewstractorboy1978

Excellent statement from Evans on the academy on 08:40 - Sep 6 by carlisleaway

Perhaps all the Championship and lower league clubs should stop there players being part of any International squads until the Premiership and FA start taking this seriously. Mind you would Premierships clubs worry, it is all about them.

That would go down well with the players.
Excellent statement from Evans on the academy on 09:04 - Sep 6 with 2969 viewsitfcjoe

Excellent statement from Evans on the academy on 08:40 - Sep 6 by carlisleaway

A more realistic solution would be to stop taking these kids on loan, as that will make their development harder for the big clubs.

If Knight progresses as you'd expect, there will be a queue of clubs willing to pay £1m+ to take him on loan for the season, every season.

Excellent statement from Evans on the academy on 09:11 - Sep 6 with 2928 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Excellent statement from Evans on the academy on 09:04 - Sep 6 by itfcjoe

A more realistic solution would be to stop taking these kids on loan, as that will make their development harder for the big clubs.

If Knight progresses as you'd expect, there will be a queue of clubs willing to pay £1m+ to take him on loan for the season, every season.

I have said for some time now that all clubs should have to name a maximum 25 man first team squad of players aged over 23 and then be allowed to have a further 25 players at 23 years old or under registered as professional and as many players as they want aged 18 and under.

This way they would not be able to stockpile all the young talent. They could decide whether to loan players aged 23 and under out of keep them in their U23 side, which they could supplement with U18 players.

They would then have the option of having a strong squad for major competitions, they could buy talented played Under 23, but then would face a choice of which ones to add to the senior squad and who to release, to allow to move further down the pyramid.

They will know by 23 whether a player can cut it at their level or not. If not let them move down the pyramid. If they are good enough they'll rise back up. If not they'll find their level.

Stops clubs buying all the young talent and loaning it out over and over again. It gives players certainty, more thought goes into it for the big clubs rather than just buying everyone and football would be far better off.

Chelsea do not need to have 80 players and loan 40 of them out.

Excellent statement from Evans on the academy on 09:15 - Sep 6 with 2909 viewsitfcjoe

Excellent statement from Evans on the academy on 09:11 - Sep 6 by WarkTheWarkITFC

I have said for some time now that all clubs should have to name a maximum 25 man first team squad of players aged over 23 and then be allowed to have a further 25 players at 23 years old or under registered as professional and as many players as they want aged 18 and under.

This way they would not be able to stockpile all the young talent. They could decide whether to loan players aged 23 and under out of keep them in their U23 side, which they could supplement with U18 players.

They would then have the option of having a strong squad for major competitions, they could buy talented played Under 23, but then would face a choice of which ones to add to the senior squad and who to release, to allow to move further down the pyramid.

They will know by 23 whether a player can cut it at their level or not. If not let them move down the pyramid. If they are good enough they'll rise back up. If not they'll find their level.

Stops clubs buying all the young talent and loaning it out over and over again. It gives players certainty, more thought goes into it for the big clubs rather than just buying everyone and football would be far better off.

Chelsea do not need to have 80 players and loan 40 of them out.

I agree with something along those lines, but it is very difficult to specify the actual numbers required - but there should be limits to scholars signed to the books.

They do have something with regards to squad limits in that certain amount can be named, but think that if players aren't named they shouldn't be able to be sent out on loan, they should be available at a free transfer.

But every solution comes with a problem, what if they are on a good contract, would clubs deliberately release them to save on it? Or is it that they can't register other players until it is sorted? Who knows - but something does need to be done and it will help everyone out - even the big boys.

Excellent statement from Evans on the academy on 09:17 - Sep 6 with 2890 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Excellent statement from Evans on the academy on 09:15 - Sep 6 by itfcjoe

I agree with something along those lines, but it is very difficult to specify the actual numbers required - but there should be limits to scholars signed to the books.

They do have something with regards to squad limits in that certain amount can be named, but think that if players aren't named they shouldn't be able to be sent out on loan, they should be available at a free transfer.

But every solution comes with a problem, what if they are on a good contract, would clubs deliberately release them to save on it? Or is it that they can't register other players until it is sorted? Who knows - but something does need to be done and it will help everyone out - even the big boys.

Agreed.

As admirable as Evans statement is, we all know the PL runs the show and the FA and EFL will be powerless until this becomes an issue for the PL clubs.

Perhaps Jadon Sancho being a phenomenon at Dortmund and breaking into the England side might do enough to annoy City into realising that they can actually help to become part of a solution. A long shot admittedly.

I really don't see how a PL club could argue that they need to have 50 professional players aged 23 and under.

Excellent statement from Evans on the academy on 09:29 - Sep 6 with 2849 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Excellent statement from Evans on the academy on 08:31 - Sep 6 by itfcjoe

It was John Bostock who was the main one.

But PL clubs are starting to be affected now, with moves abroad and between them happening regularly.

I don’t think that the initial compensations are too low in reality, but ultimately if these players make it then more should be given at that point.

But if initial compensation was much higher, clubs would surely be less inclined to be overly opportunistic. Seems to me that a poacher is taking close to zero risk and even if compensation later on was higher than today, poacher is more than sharing in that.
Excellent statement from Evans on the academy on 09:33 - Sep 6 with 2834 viewschicoazul

Very funny seeing an immensely rich individual who bought a football club and pumped loads of money into it to try to get promoted complaining about systemic problems.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Excellent statement from Evans on the academy on 09:34 - Sep 6 with 2828 viewsitfcjoe

Excellent statement from Evans on the academy on 09:29 - Sep 6 by PrideOfTheEast

But if initial compensation was much higher, clubs would surely be less inclined to be overly opportunistic. Seems to me that a poacher is taking close to zero risk and even if compensation later on was higher than today, poacher is more than sharing in that.

It's a difficult one though - Knight went for a reported £1m....that's probably in our top 20 sales of all time as a club, but realsitically he was 2-3 years from the first team so what value should be prescribed to him?

I get point about it being low risk - maybe there needs to be a bigger sell on in place, which covers any loan fees received? Although how that would be policed with all these feeder clubs popping up would be difficult.

Excellent statement from Evans on the academy on 09:41 - Sep 6 with 2802 viewsgordon

Excellent statement from Evans on the academy on 09:04 - Sep 6 by itfcjoe

Yeah, exactly this. Man City will be in profit on Knight after a couple of Championship loans, then even if he's nowhere near Man City first team, sell for £8million odd at 20/21 (at current prices) to a club with parachute payments on the back of what he's done in the Championship.

Massive return on investment, low risk, and it's the championship clubs who will queue up to loan him that make it possible.
Excellent statement from Evans on the academy on 09:48 - Sep 6 with 2783 viewsgordon

Excellent statement from Evans on the academy on 09:34 - Sep 6 by itfcjoe

It's a difficult one though - Knight went for a reported £1m....that's probably in our top 20 sales of all time as a club, but realsitically he was 2-3 years from the first team so what value should be prescribed to him?

I get point about it being low risk - maybe there needs to be a bigger sell on in place, which covers any loan fees received? Although how that would be policed with all these feeder clubs popping up would be difficult.

There are likely to be legal constraints as well regarding the initial fees for minors who haven't signed a professional contract. I'd recommend that a small proportion of the wage of the player (something like 1-5%) be paid back to their development club for the rest of their career (bit like student loan deduction).
Excellent statement from Evans on the academy on 09:55 - Sep 6 with 2769 viewsfarkenhell

Excellent statement from Evans on the academy on 08:49 - Sep 6 by ITFC_Forever

But the chances of him (or any of his peers) making 100 appearances for Man City's first team are remote to say the least.
Of all the kids in their system in the same boat, perhaps one will get to be a first team regular. That individual has then got to make it to 100 games. Very little chance of that happening. The clause of a few quid when they play 100 times for the first time may as well be a clause for them flying to Mars on a surfboard.

You could easily have a clause that covers A) 100 or so first team appearances, or B) 25/30% sell on fee (i.e. whichever happens soonest). The point is that this would compensate the losing club in a much fairer manner where players produce a sizeable return on investment for the buying club, either by becoming first-team regulars or when they are sold on.

The current compensation criteria is woefully behind the times. However, as others have said, I don't see it happening because I can't see the incentive for change at the FA/UEFA/FIFA. Doesn't make it any less galling, of course.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024