Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This is an interesting study 22:27 - Sep 8 with 3061 viewsStokieBlue

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-45435593

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

This is an interesting study on 22:44 - Sep 8 with 3034 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I am not a weather expert by any means, but surely any increase in rainfall there would result in decreases elsewhere. Aren't we already suffering increased desertification without adding to it?

Of course, if there is a way to guarantee that it would counteract rising sea levels instead, all very well and good.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

This is an interesting study on 23:07 - Sep 8 with 3013 viewsStokieBlue

This is an interesting study on 22:44 - Sep 8 by Nthsuffolkblue

I am not a weather expert by any means, but surely any increase in rainfall there would result in decreases elsewhere. Aren't we already suffering increased desertification without adding to it?

Of course, if there is a way to guarantee that it would counteract rising sea levels instead, all very well and good.

Possibly, it depends where the precipitation was happening.

It would also supply enough power to meet current global demands four times over.

Of course it won't happen, the scale is too large.

SB

This is an interesting study on 23:11 - Sep 8 with 3009 viewsGromheort

You and your obsessive reliance on wind! Wave power is the way forward.
This is an interesting study on 23:15 - Sep 8 with 3005 viewsStokieBlue

This is an interesting study on 23:11 - Sep 8 by Gromheort

You and your obsessive reliance on wind! Wave power is the way forward.

:).

I do think wave power is under-utilised, it's still in it's infancy compared to wind and solar though (and even tidal power).

Saw this on the news in Australia, pretty cool:

http://theconversation.com/new-solar-cells-offer-you-the-chance-to-print-out-sol

SB

This is an interesting study on 23:20 - Sep 8 with 2995 viewsGromheort

This is an interesting study on 23:15 - Sep 8 by StokieBlue

:).

I do think wave power is under-utilised, it's still in it's infancy compared to wind and solar though (and even tidal power).

Saw this on the news in Australia, pretty cool:

http://theconversation.com/new-solar-cells-offer-you-the-chance-to-print-out-sol

SB

Government letting down the Welsh with their tidal lagoon plans in Swansea Bay. Big mistake. Could have sparked off some rather handy local expertise.
This is an interesting study on 23:39 - Sep 8 with 2972 viewsStokieBlue

This is an interesting study on 23:20 - Sep 8 by Gromheort

Government letting down the Welsh with their tidal lagoon plans in Swansea Bay. Big mistake. Could have sparked off some rather handy local expertise.

That was a good project as was the Severn barrage.

Killed off by birds.

Survival of the fittest would argue they would just fly off somewhere else but we will never know now.

SB

This is an interesting study on 23:42 - Sep 8 with 2970 viewsfooters

This is an interesting study on 23:39 - Sep 8 by StokieBlue

Killed off by birds.

Survival of the fittest would argue they would just fly off somewhere else but we will never know now.

SB

I'm sure there'll be no wildlife or local population concerns on the new fracking sites!

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

This is an interesting study on 00:02 - Sep 9 with 2943 viewsGromheort

This is an interesting study on 23:39 - Sep 8 by StokieBlue

Killed off by birds.

SB

The Severn barrage would have a much greater chance of environmental disaster. Can't see it with Swansea. They'd create something new, rather than just destroy what we have.

Trouble is, mind you. Its too far from London. Politicans get nose bleeds
Login to get fewer ads

This is an interesting study on 07:20 - Sep 9 with 2866 viewstabletopjoe

Do they mention that using wind power (when the wind blows) is more expensive than using available fossil fuels?

'Let the ignorant argue with themselves' -- CL

This is an interesting study on 08:29 - Sep 9 with 2845 viewsStokieBlue

This is an interesting study on 07:20 - Sep 9 by tabletopjoe

Do they mention that using wind power (when the wind blows) is more expensive than using available fossil fuels?

Going to provide some supporting evidence for that?

Then there is of course the aspect that wind power doesn't pump out greenhouse gases. Furthermore the burning of coal produces more radiation close to the station than you'll find at a nuclear power plant.

No worries though, cost is all that matters.

SB

This is an interesting study on 21:28 - Sep 9 with 2761 viewsNo9

One question they seem to have ignored - what would they do with the electricity they generate?
It has to be used one way or another.
I've not read any conclusive evidence of rain increasing as wind farms increase in size both of turbines and number of
In the UK this summer, quite the reverse happened
This is an interesting study on 21:33 - Sep 9 with 2754 viewsStokieBlue

This is an interesting study on 21:28 - Sep 9 by No9

One question they seem to have ignored - what would they do with the electricity they generate?
It has to be used one way or another.
I've not read any conclusive evidence of rain increasing as wind farms increase in size both of turbines and number of
In the UK this summer, quite the reverse happened

I assumed the power would be transferred back to Europe and the Middle East as the article infers.

As for the increase in precipitation, you are not thinking in the right scales. They are talking about millions of square kilometres aren't they (not re-read the article).

SB

This is an interesting study on 22:02 - Sep 9 with 2734 viewsClapham_Junction

This is an interesting study on 21:33 - Sep 9 by StokieBlue

I assumed the power would be transferred back to Europe and the Middle East as the article infers.

As for the increase in precipitation, you are not thinking in the right scales. They are talking about millions of square kilometres aren't they (not re-read the article).

SB

The ideal breakthrough we need now is in superconductors. If someone can create a superconductor that works at normal temperatures, then it would allow a worldwide electricity grid to be set up transferring solar and wind power from wherever it was being generated to wherever it's needed without the huge losses that the current distances would cause.

Personally I wasn't that keen on the tidal lagoon or Severn barrage, largely due to the exorbitant costs compared to other methods of energy generation/storage (battery costs are coming down pretty quickly and National Grid are expecting several GW of battery storage on the grid in the next few years).

In the long-run, I think we'll be able to power everything from a combination of solar, wind and battery storage, particularly as PV and batteries becomesmore efficient and cheaper.

As an aside, I found this pumped hydro concept quite interesting: https://www.cleanenergywire.org/news/offshore-expansion-track-pumped-storage-fla
This is an interesting study on 22:26 - Sep 9 with 2718 viewsStokieBlue

This is an interesting study on 22:02 - Sep 9 by Clapham_Junction

The ideal breakthrough we need now is in superconductors. If someone can create a superconductor that works at normal temperatures, then it would allow a worldwide electricity grid to be set up transferring solar and wind power from wherever it was being generated to wherever it's needed without the huge losses that the current distances would cause.

Personally I wasn't that keen on the tidal lagoon or Severn barrage, largely due to the exorbitant costs compared to other methods of energy generation/storage (battery costs are coming down pretty quickly and National Grid are expecting several GW of battery storage on the grid in the next few years).

In the long-run, I think we'll be able to power everything from a combination of solar, wind and battery storage, particularly as PV and batteries becomesmore efficient and cheaper.

As an aside, I found this pumped hydro concept quite interesting: https://www.cleanenergywire.org/news/offshore-expansion-track-pumped-storage-fla

Agreed, room-temperature superconductors would be a game changer but unfortunately, they seem a way off still.

Same with fusion which would be excellent to supplement everything with on-demand energy but that's still many years away.

That's pumped hydro concept is interesting as you say.

SB

This is an interesting study on 22:56 - Sep 9 with 2698 viewsClapham_Junction

This is an interesting study on 22:26 - Sep 9 by StokieBlue

Agreed, room-temperature superconductors would be a game changer but unfortunately, they seem a way off still.

Same with fusion which would be excellent to supplement everything with on-demand energy but that's still many years away.

That's pumped hydro concept is interesting as you say.

SB

I suspect by the time we crack fusion, it won't be needed anymore (on earth at least; it might be useful if we become a spacefaring civilisation in the future).
This is an interesting study on 23:04 - Sep 9 with 2687 viewsStokieBlue

This is an interesting study on 22:56 - Sep 9 by Clapham_Junction

I suspect by the time we crack fusion, it won't be needed anymore (on earth at least; it might be useful if we become a spacefaring civilisation in the future).

That's a distinct possibility, renewable could be enough by then.

Off-world fusion will be important as you've highlighted. It might also be useful if widespread desalination is needed (lets hope not).

SB

This is an interesting study on 07:59 - Sep 10 with 2627 viewsSwansea_Blue

This is an interesting study on 22:02 - Sep 9 by Clapham_Junction

And going down the route of hydrogen vehicles rather than electric. Although it seems like we’ve missed the bus there already (pun intended). It’s the vhs v beta max debate all over again!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

This is an interesting study on 08:19 - Sep 10 with 2617 viewsStokieBlue

This is an interesting study on 07:59 - Sep 10 by Swansea_Blue

And going down the route of hydrogen vehicles rather than electric. Although it seems like we’ve missed the bus there already (pun intended). It’s the vhs v beta max debate all over again!

Japan are heavily invested in hydrogen cars with large government subsidies for development. Even with that you still need energy to mass produce the hydrogen which would need either renewables or fusion.

SB

This is an interesting study on 09:16 - Sep 10 with 2591 viewsNo9

This is an interesting study on 21:33 - Sep 9 by StokieBlue

SB

The power transmission losses over thousands of Km wouldraise questions about the efficiency of such ventures.
It is a problem even over relatively short distances and isbeing worked on but not yet overcome
Although cryogenics do work that isn't feasible in many circumstances
This is an interesting study on 09:18 - Sep 10 with 2589 viewsNo9

This is an interesting study on 08:19 - Sep 10 by StokieBlue

Japan are heavily invested in hydrogen cars with large government subsidies for development. Even with that you still need energy to mass produce the hydrogen which would need either renewables or fusion.

SB

The initial wind farms in Scotland were designated to be for hydrogen production.
That along with a number of innovative ideas some already working e.g. electricity from sewage, got kicked out to make way for the electric generator sell off.
This is an interesting study on 09:41 - Sep 10 with 2576 viewsStokieBlue

This is an interesting study on 09:16 - Sep 10 by No9

The power transmission losses over thousands of Km wouldraise questions about the efficiency of such ventures.
It is a problem even over relatively short distances and isbeing worked on but not yet overcome
Although cryogenics do work that isn't feasible in many circumstances

As has been pointed out, super-conductors are needed really.

However the distance from the Sahara to Southern Europe and then on to the Europe wide grid aren't that far.

SB

This is an interesting study on 10:12 - Sep 10 with 2558 viewsNo9

This is an interesting study on 09:41 - Sep 10 by StokieBlue

As has been pointed out, super-conductors are needed really.

However the distance from the Sahara to Southern Europe and then on to the Europe wide grid aren't that far.

SB

The distances are much further than current distances fromWF to grid.
The problems of generating electricity from renewables is improving yearly
The problems surrounding transmission are still an issue that isn't generally agreed on,
This is an interesting study on 10:14 - Sep 10 with 2554 viewsStokieBlue

This is an interesting study on 10:12 - Sep 10 by No9

The distances are much further than current distances fromWF to grid.
The problems of generating electricity from renewables is improving yearly
The problems surrounding transmission are still an issue that isn't generally agreed on,

I think you are overstating this issue, just building the required amount would be a bigger issue as would the geopolitical stability of the region where the generation would take place.

SB

This is an interesting study on 10:44 - Sep 10 with 2534 viewsCoachRob

Really interesting story - trying to get energy incorporated into modern economics undergraduate courses. The current neo-classical theory regards resources and energy as unlimited. This theory is swallowed by companies like McKinsey who then advise the government on policy. To get green energy through government you have to get it past the cost benefit analysis (CBA) which strangely has shown fracking to be cost effect. Fracking has been undergoing a cashflow nightmare in the US and seem to be returning little for the outlay.
This is an interesting study on 13:28 - Sep 10 with 2482 viewsGromheort

This is an interesting study on 10:44 - Sep 10 by CoachRob

Really interesting story - trying to get energy incorporated into modern economics undergraduate courses. The current neo-classical theory regards resources and energy as unlimited. This theory is swallowed by companies like McKinsey who then advise the government on policy. To get green energy through government you have to get it past the cost benefit analysis (CBA) which strangely has shown fracking to be cost effect. Fracking has been undergoing a cashflow nightmare in the US and seem to be returning little for the outlay.

How about the text Reardon et al. Introducing a New Economics: Pluralist, Sustainable and Progressive? Sadly no longer a student so I don't get to read this stuff, but might be a game changer?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024