Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What I don't get is why ppl are saying "What do you expect from a lower league 21:47 - Sep 15 with 3029 viewsRyorry

Manager? Surely football is football whatever level you're managing at? I mean having a style and way of playing in mind, trying to get the players you think will make that work, setting the system up and training with it in focus? George Burley certainly managed to do it well, and then some.

Oh, and btw, that reminds me that in football, everything's cyclical. Look where we were before Burley ... remember when we were on a par with Man City, fighting them for 2nd spot in the 2nd division?! Peaks and troughs, peaks and troughs - "All shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well ..."

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

What I don't get is why ppl are saying "What do you expect from a lower league on 21:49 - Sep 15 with 3015 viewsJ2BLUE

Interesting that Nsiala and Nolan are league one players as well. I guess if they had won the play off final and we'd have signed them as Championship players they'd both be much better...

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

What I don't get is why ppl are saying "What do you expect from a lower league on 21:50 - Sep 15 with 3002 viewsRyorry

What I don't get is why ppl are saying "What do you expect from a lower league on 21:49 - Sep 15 by J2BLUE

Interesting that Nsiala and Nolan are league one players as well. I guess if they had won the play off final and we'd have signed them as Championship players they'd both be much better...

Neat point!

on 21:54 - Sep 15 with 2978 views_

What I don't get is why ppl are saying "What do you expect from a lower league on 21:57 - Sep 15 with 2962 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

What I don't get is why ppl are saying "What do you expect from a lower league on 21:49 - Sep 15 by J2BLUE

Josh Emmanuel (an ITFC player and Rotherham's young player of the year) won that playoff final and yet Hurst does not rate him a farmed him out again! Bryan Klug rates him and developed him. Seriously do you think Spence is better than JE?.. no way.

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

What I don't get is why ppl are saying "What do you expect from a lower league on 22:02 - Sep 15 with 2939 viewsRyorry

What I don't get is why ppl are saying "What do you expect from a lower league on 21:57 - Sep 15 by Jonnosdreadlocks

Josh Emmanuel (an ITFC player and Rotherham's young player of the year) won that playoff final and yet Hurst does not rate him a farmed him out again! Bryan Klug rates him and developed him. Seriously do you think Spence is better than JE?.. no way.

Didn't think I'd ever say this to you, but that's a good point well made!

What I don't get is why ppl are saying "What do you expect from a lower league on 22:05 - Sep 15 with 2931 viewsRyorry

on 21:54 - Sep 15 by _

I take your point, but clearly some people are able to step up, or where would any of them start? Not in the Prem for sure!

on 22:08 - Sep 15 with 2909 views_

What I don't get is why ppl are saying "What do you expect from a lower league on 22:05 - Sep 15 by Ryorry

I take your point, but clearly some people are able to step up, or where would any of them start? Not in the Prem for sure!

What I don't get is why ppl are saying "What do you expect from a lower league on 22:09 - Sep 15 with 2905 viewsRyorry

on 22:08 - Sep 15 by _

Ah, fair enough.

Login to get fewer ads

What I don't get is why ppl are saying on 22:37 - Sep 15 with 2803 viewsHennikerBlu

It's an interesting one, of course Burley played at a far higher level than PH and would have graced any of the top teams at the time, plus had been an International. I think it helped him establish his position as a manager with the 'network' of football managers, many of whom he would have known, not forgetting SBR was a pretty useful contact.

When ME talked about trying something new, I did think he would bring in an experienced director of football (type role?) to oversee matters (such as transfers) and a young dynamic manager such as Hurst. I do think PH needed/needs a little more guidance during the transition, maybe he got it, but I have my doubts. The level of change must have been overwhelming for PH. Lets hope things turn out well ;)
What I don't get is why ppl are saying "What do you expect from a lower league on 22:47 - Sep 15 with 2789 viewshomer_123

It's confidence.

We haven't won, so those players coming up a division and our manager are maybe having the odd doubt, the longer it goes the harder it becomes as you begin to doubt yourself more and others begin to do so.

We need a win, very very badly or Hurst runs the risk of going the way of Keane.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

What I don't get is why ppl are saying "What do you expect from a lower league on 23:18 - Sep 15 with 2702 viewsstrikalite

What I don't get is why ppl are saying "What do you expect from a lower league on 21:57 - Sep 15 by Jonnosdreadlocks

Spence being experienced can get away with far more mistakes than young Josh who isn't experienced.......yoofism!!
What I don't get is why ppl are saying "What do you expect from a lower league on 00:37 - Sep 16 with 2630 viewsGluedtoBlue

Remember when Mourinho hanged up his boots from that illustrious playing career and went straight into having success managing the biggest team in the world?

Oh, that's right he didn't. Some people can step up, some can't. Will Hurst and all his signings?

Time will tell. And, time, is not what he's had so far.

I'm not saying he'll turn us into promotion contenders or even a mid table side but jesus wept.

Most people were clambering for him in the summer and some (not all - there is some sense on here) want him gone.

They say money is all what is wrong with today's game but you lot don't help.

Get a grip.

Poll: Who do you hate the most?

What I don't get is why ppl are saying "What do you expect from a lower league on 01:03 - Sep 16 with 2621 viewsGuthrum

One thing which gets me about some of the comments: When did this massive gulf in class develop between League One and the Championship? When did "League One goals don't count" become a real thing? How come all the players (and managers) who successfully stepped up from the lower divisions were able to do that?

Some people are speaking as if our team and coaches have come straight out of the Ryman League, not merely gone up one or two levels.

After all, most people were crying out for "young, hungry talent". We've got that, but it's proving tricky at this stage to fit the pieces together.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

What I don't get is why ppl are saying "What do you expect from a lower league on 02:10 - Sep 16 with 2584 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

No, they would still have been players with no experience at this level

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

What I don't get is why ppl are saying "What do you expect from a lower league on 05:23 - Sep 16 with 2537 viewsBenters2

I’m with you on that Ryorry.

Well said.
What I don't get is why ppl are saying on 10:09 - Sep 16 with 2389 viewsBueller

What I don't get is why ppl are saying on 22:37 - Sep 15 by HennikerBlu

It's an interesting one, of course Burley played at a far higher level than PH and would have graced any of the top teams at the time, plus had been an International. I think it helped him establish his position as a manager with the 'network' of football managers, many of whom he would have known, not forgetting SBR was a pretty useful contact.

When ME talked about trying something new, I did think he would bring in an experienced director of football (type role?) to oversee matters (such as transfers) and a young dynamic manager such as Hurst. I do think PH needed/needs a little more guidance during the transition, maybe he got it, but I have my doubts. The level of change must have been overwhelming for PH. Lets hope things turn out well ;)

Agreed. I think some support on the transfer front would have assisted no end. I do not doubt PHs managerial ability but I do feel in reflection we bought poorly. We do have barriers like we cannot pay the wages some clubs can and perhaps Ipswich is not that desirable place for footballers but I think there were better signings to be made.
What I don't get is why ppl are saying on 15:12 - Sep 16 with 2304 viewsRyorry

What I don't get is why ppl are saying on 22:37 - Sep 15 by HennikerBlu

Good points about Burley's experience as a player - and of course, contacts!

Was a DoF ever a realistic expectation for us? I would have thought ME explored that option - if he had any football sense ...

When you look at how many other teams such as Brighton, Watford, Blackpool, Leeds etc have yo-yo'd - remembering also the years that ManU and Chelsea struggled in the second tier, which many seem to have forgotten - the common theme seems to be not managers, but owners and boards. Bournemouth under Eddie Howe might be a different case? but their ground still only has a capacity of 11,360 (yeah, looked it up, saddo Sunday! ).

What I don't get is why ppl are saying "What do you expect from a lower league on 15:33 - Sep 16 with 2285 viewsVic

I think PH underestimated this league. Getting all his players from lower leagues - huge, huge risk.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

What I don't get is why ppl are saying "What do you expect from a lower league on 15:42 - Sep 16 with 2277 viewsJ2BLUE

What I don't get is why ppl are saying "What do you expect from a lower league on 02:10 - Sep 16 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

No, they would still have been players with no experience at this level

But players seemingly too good for league one as they were two of the best players in a team that would have won promotion.

Truly impaired.

What I don't get is why ppl are saying on 15:43 - Sep 16 with 2275 viewsHennikerBlu

What I don't get is why ppl are saying on 15:12 - Sep 16 by Ryorry

Good points about Burley's experience as a player - and of course, contacts!

Was a DoF ever a realistic expectation for us? I would have thought ME explored that option - if he had any football sense ...

When you look at how many other teams such as Brighton, Watford, Blackpool, Leeds etc have yo-yo'd - remembering also the years that ManU and Chelsea struggled in the second tier, which many seem to have forgotten - the common theme seems to be not managers, but owners and boards. Bournemouth under Eddie Howe might be a different case? but their ground still only has a capacity of 11,360 (yeah, looked it up, saddo Sunday! ).

I just question whether ME really has a sufficient understanding or influence in the football community. I could be wrong of course and he gets superb advice.

I am not a fan of the DoF role, as it has been misused (jobs for the boys), however, I do think we benefited massively from MM's status in the footballing world (attracting players and quality loanees) and PH is not going to fill that void unless he starts making people sit up by getting exceptional results. I think it might have been interesting to have had Burley back in some capacity to help PH.

Anyway lets hope it all comes right ;)
What I don't get is why ppl are saying "What do you expect from a lower league on 16:30 - Sep 16 with 2226 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

What I don't get is why ppl are saying "What do you expect from a lower league on 15:42 - Sep 16 by J2BLUE

But players seemingly too good for league one as they were two of the best players in a team that would have won promotion.

Or that they’ve found their level

Of course, some will be successful but logic does also dictate that some won’t be able to handle the step up. For me I think we’ve done too many on mass which means we’ve got a lot of new players trying to both handle the step up and gel together, and now having to try not to lose confidence on the first point which initial results being poor

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

What I don't get is why ppl are saying "What do you expect from a lower league on 16:45 - Sep 16 with 2208 viewsJ2BLUE

What I don't get is why ppl are saying "What do you expect from a lower league on 16:30 - Sep 16 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Or that they’ve found their level

Of course, some will be successful but logic does also dictate that some won’t be able to handle the step up. For me I think we’ve done too many on mass which means we’ve got a lot of new players trying to both handle the step up and gel together, and now having to try not to lose confidence on the first point which initial results being poor

Exactly, it can be spun either way.

Truly impaired.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024