Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Duxford Air Museum 22:12 - Sep 17 with 3210 viewsitfcjoe

Looking for something to do for my boys 2nd birthday, is there enough to do there at that age?

He loves planes and helicopters but just not sure if it is more educational than fun

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Duxford Air Museum on 22:25 - Sep 17 with 3171 viewsStokieBlue

Are you in London?

If so I actually think the RAF Museum at Hendon is far better for children than Duxford. It's got every plane the RAF have flown (I believe), quite a few that you can go in and also a kids play area type thing with plans and helicopters and things.

It's also free which means it's not an issue if they get bored after 30 minutes. Duxford is great but expensive in comparison. It does have planes flying (Sopworth Camels etc) and a tank section but I think those are more for older kids anyway.

https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/

SB
[Post edited 17 Sep 2018 22:26]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Duxford Air Museum on 22:31 - Sep 17 with 3141 viewsitfcjoe

Duxford Air Museum on 22:25 - Sep 17 by StokieBlue

Are you in London?

If so I actually think the RAF Museum at Hendon is far better for children than Duxford. It's got every plane the RAF have flown (I believe), quite a few that you can go in and also a kids play area type thing with plans and helicopters and things.

It's also free which means it's not an issue if they get bored after 30 minutes. Duxford is great but expensive in comparison. It does have planes flying (Sopworth Camels etc) and a tank section but I think those are more for older kids anyway.

SB

Am in Ipswich.

Was considering Seaworld plus something like Transport museum in London but just thinking that driving somewhere may be easier?

Duxford Air Museum on 22:38 - Sep 17 with 3128 viewsStokieBlue

Duxford Air Museum on 22:31 - Sep 17 by itfcjoe

Am in Ipswich.

Was considering Seaworld plus something like Transport museum in London but just thinking that driving somewhere may be easier?

The Transport Museum is actually great for kids but you'll not be able to drive there and it's one of the few museums in London you'll have to pay for. Ticket is valid for a year if you want to go back again though.

If you are set on planes they have parking at Hendon and it's a fairly easy drive from Ipswich being in the North near the M25.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Duxford Air Museum on 22:46 - Sep 17 with 3112 viewsBurwell_Blue

Went the other day with my 4 yr old and it was fantastic.

All indoors, so the weather doesn’t matter. Walking inside Concorde, checking out all the tanks and trucks. I had a bloody good time and he did too.

Recommended.
Duxford Air Museum on 22:51 - Sep 17 with 3105 viewsBLUEBEAT

I think he may be too young at 2, to be honest.

But if he’s mad on planes, there’s obviously a lot to see.

Not many interactive opportunities there and I’d say none for 2 year olds!

Poll: W or W

Duxford Air Museum on 06:13 - Sep 18 with 3008 viewsbrogansnose

Duxford is a great day out and its difficult to do it all in a day. I do think at two though that it might be a bit much and its a lot of walking around. If you do go, the new hanger by the junction of the M11 has lots of planes of different eras and has some interactive stuff. The tank and vehicle building at the opposite end is excellent too with some mock ups of D Day.

Just got me thinking how much work I've done there over the years .
Duxford Air Museum on 07:35 - Sep 18 with 2938 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Went fairly recently as bought the Father In Law a wing to wing with a Spitfire experience for his birthday

Enjoyed it but I’d have thought 2 would be a bit young for it to be honest - mostly just looking at planes etc which I imagine would quickly be boring for them!

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Duxford Air Museum on 08:14 - Sep 18 with 2891 viewsitfcjoe

Duxford Air Museum on 07:35 - Sep 18 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Went fairly recently as bought the Father In Law a wing to wing with a Spitfire experience for his birthday

Enjoyed it but I’d have thought 2 would be a bit young for it to be honest - mostly just looking at planes etc which I imagine would quickly be boring for them!

Are there planes flying over etc as that would entertain him, or is that purely when there is an event on?

Login to get fewer ads

Duxford Air Museum on 08:16 - Sep 18 with 2889 viewsitfcjoe

Duxford Air Museum on 22:38 - Sep 17 by StokieBlue

The Transport Museum is actually great for kids but you'll not be able to drive there and it's one of the few museums in London you'll have to pay for. Ticket is valid for a year if you want to go back again though.

If you are set on planes they have parking at Hendon and it's a fairly easy drive from Ipswich being in the North near the M25.

SB

Just had a look at Hendon and that does look good, just may be a bit too far being about another hour away as we can only go for a day as away on the Monday for a few days. Will definitely add that to the list though!

Duxford Air Museum on 09:11 - Sep 18 with 2851 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Duxford Air Museum on 08:14 - Sep 18 by itfcjoe

Are there planes flying over etc as that would entertain him, or is that purely when there is an event on?

Fairly sure they have planes flying on the regular as you can do the flying experiences, although guess that could only be certain days, was a weekend when we went so presumably busier

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Duxford Air Museum on 09:18 - Sep 18 with 2820 viewsBullardsMagicMullet

Duxford Air Museum on 08:14 - Sep 18 by itfcjoe

You do get planes flying over most days, but to get a free air show go the day before an actual show and you will get to watch all the planes practising and flying in for the show.

Flounce when ITFC lose, flounce about brexit and flounce about Trump.
Poll: What ITFC Podcast do you prefer?

Duxford Air Museum on 10:18 - Sep 18 with 2769 viewsBerlinBlue

Duxford Air Museum on 22:25 - Sep 17 by StokieBlue

Are you in London?

SB

Agree, you can't go much wrong with Hendon. Relatively compact compared to Duxford, easier for a 2-year-old to get round, lots of planes, and the only thing you pay for is the parking. Think it's also just had an update with new exhibition area. Journey from Ipswich is very straightforward.
Duxford Air Museum on 14:36 - Sep 18 with 2670 viewsNo9

Isn't 2 a bit young to appreciate aircraft?
Have you considered taking him to Bressingham gardens where he can ride on garden railways - steam at that which normally fascinates most young boys?

Just outside Norwich is a 'Dinosaur park' with many attractions for all ages.
Duxford Air Museum on 14:59 - Sep 18 with 2656 viewsconnorscontract

2 is way too young for Duxford, in my opinion (I'm a father of two now-grown-up boys).

Jimmy's Farm would be a better option, I think.

Or go to Felixstowe and win him lots of prizes in the arcades on the "Tipping Point" machines. Ice Cream. Fish and Chips. Lots of space to run around in. And watch the big ships going in and out of the port.

For the planes: Clacton Air Show next August would be a good test. He'll be nearly three, and so have a better concentration span. It's along the seafront so you can find a space where he can also run around/kick a ball/dig sand if he prefers. And it's Free, so if he hates it- no loss!

http://clactonairshow.com/
Duxford Air Museum on 15:09 - Sep 18 with 2640 viewsitfcjoe

Duxford Air Museum on 14:59 - Sep 18 by connorscontract

2 is way too young for Duxford, in my opinion (I'm a father of two now-grown-up boys).

Jimmy's Farm would be a better option, I think.

Or go to Felixstowe and win him lots of prizes in the arcades on the "Tipping Point" machines. Ice Cream. Fish and Chips. Lots of space to run around in. And watch the big ships going in and out of the port.

For the planes: Clacton Air Show next August would be a good test. He'll be nearly three, and so have a better concentration span. It's along the seafront so you can find a space where he can also run around/kick a ball/dig sand if he prefers. And it's Free, so if he hates it- no loss!

http://clactonairshow.com/

THing is, all that stuff is what we do regularly, so want to do something different....

Annual pass at Jimmys Farm and Col Zoo, regularly down Felixstowe as 10 minutes away.

He did the airshow this year and loved it, was handy as wifes Grandad has a little retirement place on seafront so he could be in an enclosed garden for it with a great view!

Duxford Air Museum on 15:16 - Sep 18 with 2629 viewsconnorscontract

Duxford Air Museum on 15:09 - Sep 18 by itfcjoe

THing is, all that stuff is what we do regularly, so want to do something different....

Annual pass at Jimmys Farm and Col Zoo, regularly down Felixstowe as 10 minutes away.

He did the airshow this year and loved it, was handy as wifes Grandad has a little retirement place on seafront so he could be in an enclosed garden for it with a great view!

So you're saying I'm absolutely spot on!

Space, flexibility and short-bursts of action/stimulation are best for that age group. But they also like the familiar and love doing the same thing again and again. If he likes Jimmy's Farm, then he'll like it even more on his birthday with a new ball to kick about, or a bit of extra money to spend in the shop.

If he likes Col Zoo and you want to do something different, you could try Africa Alive! near Lowestoft.

https://www.africa-alive.co.uk/
Duxford Air Museum on 15:19 - Sep 18 with 2620 viewsBurwell_Blue

Duxford Air Museum on 15:09 - Sep 18 by itfcjoe

Jimmy's Farm - No, no and thrice no. What a massive waste of time and money. That place is borderline con. I cannot put into words how much I despise that place.

Do you have a an NT membership? Always things on at the different locations and only £10 a month for all the family.

I still think Duxford will be fine. Not a lot of climbing on or in (apart from Concorde) but its worth a few hours of anyone's time, including a 2yr old.
Duxford Air Museum on 15:20 - Sep 18 with 2619 viewsitfcjoe

Duxford Air Museum on 15:16 - Sep 18 by connorscontract

So you're saying I'm absolutely spot on!

Space, flexibility and short-bursts of action/stimulation are best for that age group. But they also like the familiar and love doing the same thing again and again. If he likes Jimmy's Farm, then he'll like it even more on his birthday with a new ball to kick about, or a bit of extra money to spend in the shop.

If he likes Col Zoo and you want to do something different, you could try Africa Alive! near Lowestoft.

https://www.africa-alive.co.uk/

I do feel in that awkward position of wanting to try and do something different, but realising that he'd love a day at Easton Farm Park......

Have done Africa Alive, and Banham Zoo out that way both which were well worth it - was tempted to head back to Yarmouth for Sea Life centre but think it might be a bit depressing in october!

Duxford Air Museum on 15:22 - Sep 18 with 2615 viewsitfcjoe

Duxford Air Museum on 15:19 - Sep 18 by Burwell_Blue

Jimmy's Farm - No, no and thrice no. What a massive waste of time and money. That place is borderline con. I cannot put into words how much I despise that place.

Do you have a an NT membership? Always things on at the different locations and only £10 a month for all the family.

I still think Duxford will be fine. Not a lot of climbing on or in (apart from Concorde) but its worth a few hours of anyone's time, including a 2yr old.

Jimmy's Farm has got a lot more there recently and wife picked up an annual pass for £40 which allows her to take a guest and our boy and with it being 10 mins away and close to my sisters house it is fine for what it is - Easton Farm Park better but that has got really expensive

Duxford Air Museum on 15:37 - Sep 18 with 2585 viewschristiand

A lot of walking and looking at Duxford in their various hangers. Although it is a good day out Joe, I wouldn’t say it was aimed to entertain 2 year old children, but bigger children and those adults young at heart then yes!!!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Duxford Air Museum on 16:02 - Sep 18 with 2552 viewsBurwell_Blue

Forgot to mention, if you find yourself in Cambridge (or Duxford) this place is in the centre of town, is free to get in and is fantastic. Think complete Elephant Skeletons and pickled Monkeys in jars and no, I am not kidding.

https://www.museum.zoo.cam.ac.uk/
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024