Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Product idea 20:03 - Oct 10 with 3863 viewsTMWWNGAS

Hi all..
No idea where to start with this and without wanting to go into too much detail..

I have come up with an idea of what I genuinely believe could be a very successful product.

Only problem is I wouldn't know where to begin to push it forward.

To develop it would require technical knowledge of which I do not posses.

There doesn't appear to be a product like it in the market that I can find..

Any potential help would be great.. or any links to clever technical people!
Product idea on 20:05 - Oct 10 with 3501 viewsgtsb

Product idea on 20:13 - Oct 10 with 3483 viewsgordon

Wot is it tho. i promise not to nick the idea.
Product idea on 20:25 - Oct 10 with 3444 viewsRyorry

Start with acquiring a patent - tho warning, it's very long, complex and expensive, you'd probably need to hire an agent to do it all for you. If successful, you could recruit from there to make it happen.

I only know that because back in the 80s I also had a brilliant idea. I didn't proceed very far because my patent agent told me there was already someone ahead of me in the pipeline who'd had the same or similar idea, and was developing it.

However, nearly 30 years later there's no such item around - was never developed to get into production - and imho there's a very clear need for it and huge potential market. If I were 30 years younger I'd go for it.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Product idea on 20:26 - Oct 10 with 3437 viewsbadadski

Product idea on 20:13 - Oct 10 by gordon

write down your idea, record it with a date attachment, you can also call or write to the copyright or patent office and can tell you if their are in fact any current patents/copyrights on your idea in existence or pending.

heated toilet seat has already been claimed - jokes asside all of the above will get some movement.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2018 20:27]
Product idea on 20:35 - Oct 10 with 3409 viewsTMWWNGAS

Product idea on 20:26 - Oct 10 by badadski

write down your idea, record it with a date attachment, you can also call or write to the copyright or patent office and can tell you if their are in fact any current patents/copyrights on your idea in existence or pending.

heated toilet seat has already been claimed - jokes asside all of the above will get some movement.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2018 20:27]

Thanks guys I've requested a patent info pack so could get the wheels in motion..
Any other suggestions welcome
Product idea on 21:04 - Oct 10 with 3380 viewsfactual_blue

Product idea on 20:13 - Oct 10 by gordon

It'll be a flying car.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Product idea on 21:07 - Oct 10 with 3374 viewssuffolkpoker

Product idea on 20:35 - Oct 10 by TMWWNGAS

Thanks guys I've requested a patent info pack so could get the wheels in motion..

Learn how to make the tech product, while waiting for the pattern.
You will be surprised how far that can take you.

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

Product idea on 21:23 - Oct 10 with 3347 viewsclive_baker

Product idea on 20:35 - Oct 10 by TMWWNGAS

While protecting any product is important, it can be incredibly expensive and therefore I would suggest you don’t throw too much cash at a patent until you’ve done a little more research. It’s also highly likely that the patent office would want to see a prototype of your product, so while I would agree a patent is valuable and makes your idea defendable, I wouldn’t get too sucked down that rabbit hole immediately.

Its hard to advise without knowing a little more, such as where the product sits in the market and it’s industry, but I respect your reasons for being vague. Think about your route to market firstly, who will buy your product and how you’ll sell to them. Consider pricing, top down led and value chains. i.e. RRP (based on market research) working down to a cost of goods, considering retailer and distributior margins should that be relevant. Then I would reach out to manufacturers to see if it’s realistic to hit these costs based on their MOQ’s etc.

I’m not sure if your circumstances but your venture might need financing, so consider that too.

I have experience in this field. I’ve been involved in bringing a number of products to the U.K. market in recent years. Feel free to DM should you need any advice.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Login to get fewer ads

Product idea on 21:24 - Oct 10 with 3342 viewsgordon

Product idea on 21:04 - Oct 10 by factual_blue

It'll be a flying car.

that's a decent idea I can see a market for that. Would make bridges rather unnecessary which would be a shame.
Product idea on 21:31 - Oct 10 with 3336 viewsgordon

While all the inventors are in one place I'd quite a like a beard trimmer with a mini vacuum cleaner built in that sucks in the beard hair as it comes off. You lot can have that for free.
Product idea on 22:08 - Oct 10 with 3296 viewsRob88

Product idea on 21:23 - Oct 10 by clive_baker

While protecting any product is important, it can be incredibly expensive and therefore I would suggest you don’t throw too much cash at a patent until you’ve done a little more research. It’s also highly likely that the patent office would want to see a prototype of your product, so while I would agree a patent is valuable and makes your idea defendable, I wouldn’t get too sucked down that rabbit hole immediately.

Its hard to advise without knowing a little more, such as where the product sits in the market and it’s industry, but I respect your reasons for being vague. Think about your route to market firstly, who will buy your product and how you’ll sell to them. Consider pricing, top down led and value chains. i.e. RRP (based on market research) working down to a cost of goods, considering retailer and distributior margins should that be relevant. Then I would reach out to manufacturers to see if it’s realistic to hit these costs based on their MOQ’s etc.

I’m not sure if your circumstances but your venture might need financing, so consider that too.

I have experience in this field. I’ve been involved in bringing a number of products to the U.K. market in recent years. Feel free to DM should you need any advice.

A prototype is not necessary for a successful patent application.

I will second the fact that they shouldn’t rush into a patent application, you can even do your own prior art search to a degree.

Whilst you haven’t got a patent you may want Non Disclosure Agreemnts in place prior to consulting with external partners.

Seek the guidance of a Patent Attorney.
Product idea on 22:21 - Oct 10 with 3266 viewsSwansea_Blue

I'm sure the market for chocolate teapots is really strong.

Good luck whatever it is. If I can offer one piece of advice it would be to not ask me for advice. Stick to that and you'll not go far wrong. I always admire people who just go for it (take TIB's beer stuff for example). So, just go for it (but don't listen to me, I'm useless).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Product idea on 22:22 - Oct 10 with 3257 viewsPinewoodblue

Think you could indicate the area of technical expertise you seek without giving too much away.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Product idea on 22:24 - Oct 10 with 3251 viewsRob88

Any clues on what clever technical people might need to be involved?

Specifics aside here is a link to a clever technical person:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Graham_Bell
Product idea on 23:06 - Oct 10 with 3202 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

Is it a Segway LawnMower?

SegMo.
Product idea on 23:51 - Oct 10 with 3172 viewsThrobbe

Product idea on 21:31 - Oct 10 by gordon

While all the inventors are in one place I'd quite a like a beard trimmer with a mini vacuum cleaner built in that sucks in the beard hair as it comes off. You lot can have that for free.

TWTD Cycling Herbert

Product idea on 04:39 - Oct 11 with 3106 viewsWeWereZombies

Mobile phone with built in toaster?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Product idea on 06:52 - Oct 11 with 3055 viewsgordon

Product idea on 04:39 - Oct 11 by WeWereZombies

Mobile phone with built in toaster?

a toaster that automatically collects all the crumbs together and gives you a bonus slice of toast once a month.
Product idea on 08:14 - Oct 11 with 2978 viewsTMWWNGAS

Product idea on 06:52 - Oct 11 by gordon

a toaster that automatically collects all the crumbs together and gives you a bonus slice of toast once a month.

So close.. its a mobile phone with a built in sandwich toaster!

Seriously though the technical know how, would probably be someone who would know a bit about sound waves, a bit about Wi-Fi and networking. For the right person I think it is a very easy product to build, and probably could be made in china for about £1 but retail over here easily at £100+ a go!
Product idea on 08:25 - Oct 11 with 2958 viewsRob88

Product idea on 08:14 - Oct 11 by TMWWNGAS

So close.. its a mobile phone with a built in sandwich toaster!

Seriously though the technical know how, would probably be someone who would know a bit about sound waves, a bit about Wi-Fi and networking. For the right person I think it is a very easy product to build, and probably could be made in china for about £1 but retail over here easily at £100+ a go!

I’m out
Product idea on 08:32 - Oct 11 with 2954 viewsconnorscontract

Your lucky day. Order now and you can be shaving and sucking by Saturday.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-QT4050-Turbovac-Rechargeable-Following/dp/B003M
Product idea on 08:40 - Oct 11 with 2943 viewsconnorscontract

Product idea on 22:08 - Oct 10 by Rob88

A prototype is not necessary for a successful patent application.

I will second the fact that they shouldn’t rush into a patent application, you can even do your own prior art search to a degree.

Whilst you haven’t got a patent you may want Non Disclosure Agreemnts in place prior to consulting with external partners.

Seek the guidance of a Patent Attorney.

Am I right in thinking that you cannot patent an idea, only a new process and application of that process?

So in the beard trimmer with vacuum example above, Philips could patent the way they make one motor operate both the trimmer and vacuum, and nobody else could copy that, but couldn't stop others making a beard trimmer with vacuum integrated if the other firm could devise a sufficiently different way of making it work.

And they could trademark just about every conceivable combination of the words beard, trimmer and vacuum, and the physical shape and styling of the product.

These then provide barriers to entry to competitors, not to reduce competition but so that all the time and money Philips invested in Research and Development has to be replicated by other firms. So Philips get a headstart in the market, and innovation is rewarded.
Product idea on 09:21 - Oct 11 with 2911 viewsRob88

Product idea on 08:40 - Oct 11 by connorscontract

Am I right in thinking that you cannot patent an idea, only a new process and application of that process?

So in the beard trimmer with vacuum example above, Philips could patent the way they make one motor operate both the trimmer and vacuum, and nobody else could copy that, but couldn't stop others making a beard trimmer with vacuum integrated if the other firm could devise a sufficiently different way of making it work.

And they could trademark just about every conceivable combination of the words beard, trimmer and vacuum, and the physical shape and styling of the product.

These then provide barriers to entry to competitors, not to reduce competition but so that all the time and money Philips invested in Research and Development has to be replicated by other firms. So Philips get a headstart in the market, and innovation is rewarded.

Not strictly correct. My experience was an idea but it was taking the prior art a step further and it could be made and could be useful and therefore the idea wasn’t far fetched as to not be regarded unpatentable.

Edit: the qualification requirements for what can and cannot be patented are sufficiently grey so as to require the services of a patent attorney.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2018 9:26]
Product idea on 09:23 - Oct 11 with 2906 viewsStokieBlue

Product idea on 21:04 - Oct 10 by factual_blue

It'll be a flying car.

Fox brand ham sandwiches?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Product idea on 10:31 - Oct 11 with 2838 viewsJohnWarksTash

https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/QT4090_32/beardtrimmer-series-7000-vacuum-beard-tr

You are most welcome :)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024