Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Back four 14:40 - Oct 21 with 2056 viewsWickets

i'm really struggling with why Hurst went again with this back four , it did not work at Swansea as we were very lucky to still be in the game after 30 minutes and he changed it for the better at half time and it has three out of the four not playing in their prefered/best positions . Can anyone help me?
Back four on 14:46 - Oct 21 with 2040 viewsIllinoisblue

Well in his eyes it did work at Swansea as we won the game. If he had changed that winning team and still lost yesterday he would be getting even more stick.

I dont think it makes a whole lot of difference who he plays; we have a league 1 squad who will be relegated by March

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Back four on 14:52 - Oct 21 with 2023 viewsGuthrum

Back four on 14:46 - Oct 21 by Illinoisblue

Well in his eyes it did work at Swansea as we won the game. If he had changed that winning team and still lost yesterday he would be getting even more stick.

I dont think it makes a whole lot of difference who he plays; we have a league 1 squad who will be relegated by March

Except that it was the second-half back four which worked most effectively at Swansea, not the starting one. Why did he not go with that?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Back four on 15:11 - Oct 21 with 2003 viewsEwan_Oozami

The most worrying thing about the current back 4 (+Gerken) is that, apart from Pennington, none are comfortable with the ball - the opposition just need to press high up and the inevitable mistake will come. The amount of times we gave the ball away to QPR (from a punt by Gerken following a back to him) because there was no easy outlet was embarrassing. Yet a relatively poor QPR team could easily play out from the back and be outside our penalty area within seconds.

I think Evans just didn't do the due diligence on Hurst in terms of how he drills the players - there was comment on another thread about our woeful set piece play (supposedly one of Hurst's strengths - and where we miss Waghorn the most) and having our many weaknesses exploited.

He was always going to struggle up against McClaren's experience, but the way QPR targeted Gerken and tried to isolate Nsiala was obvious from the first 10 mins, but Hurst did nothing to counter that. I thought Jonas was going to come on at the start of the second half, but when he didn't I knew there was no way back.

If Hurst learnt anything yesterday it was hopefully that a front two of Sears and Lankester/Jackson (or Morris, or Folami when he's back) might get him some goals as opposed to the 2 wide men & one small bloke in the middle (Sears if you're lucky - Ward if you're not) tactic.

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Back four on 17:01 - Oct 21 with 1926 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Back four on 15:11 - Oct 21 by Ewan_Oozami

The most worrying thing about the current back 4 (+Gerken) is that, apart from Pennington, none are comfortable with the ball - the opposition just need to press high up and the inevitable mistake will come. The amount of times we gave the ball away to QPR (from a punt by Gerken following a back to him) because there was no easy outlet was embarrassing. Yet a relatively poor QPR team could easily play out from the back and be outside our penalty area within seconds.

I think Evans just didn't do the due diligence on Hurst in terms of how he drills the players - there was comment on another thread about our woeful set piece play (supposedly one of Hurst's strengths - and where we miss Waghorn the most) and having our many weaknesses exploited.

He was always going to struggle up against McClaren's experience, but the way QPR targeted Gerken and tried to isolate Nsiala was obvious from the first 10 mins, but Hurst did nothing to counter that. I thought Jonas was going to come on at the start of the second half, but when he didn't I knew there was no way back.

If Hurst learnt anything yesterday it was hopefully that a front two of Sears and Lankester/Jackson (or Morris, or Folami when he's back) might get him some goals as opposed to the 2 wide men & one small bloke in the middle (Sears if you're lucky - Ward if you're not) tactic.

I’m amazed with lack of fight after a win 2weeks ago.
Everything we believed Hurst had in his locker has fallen short.
Changing the defence weekly and gk is really hurting us.
Free kicks were a shambles yesterday, corner also.
From last yr We definitely miss waggy on those.
2more games coming up . Leeds is a free game to try anything to get confidence but Millwall is a must not lose.
Relegation bells are ringing, Time to act now.
Back four on 17:08 - Oct 21 with 1903 viewsblueislander

When playing centre back Pennington looks the best defender we have. None of those currently in the squad are good enough. Time to give the youngsters a chance, they can't do much worse. Most important to get Woolfenden back here.
Back four on 19:37 - Oct 21 with 1845 viewsPilgrimblue

Back four on 17:08 - Oct 21 by blueislander

When playing centre back Pennington looks the best defender we have. None of those currently in the squad are good enough. Time to give the youngsters a chance, they can't do much worse. Most important to get Woolfenden back here.

Exactly
Back four on 19:52 - Oct 21 with 1823 viewsbackwaywhen

Back four on 14:46 - Oct 21 by Illinoisblue

We will be almost relegated by Xmas at this rate of points on the board ..not mathematically of course but the mindset and lack of ability / confidence will have sealed our fate that early .
Back four on 00:04 - Oct 22 with 1739 viewsWickets

Back four on 17:08 - Oct 21 by blueislander

Well quite honestly i'm not sure that works either, i think we must use the best and most experenced championship players that we have left if we are going to have any chance of getting out of this mess but they must be in their right positions. We will still have to use some younger players and some inexperanced at this level players because we dont have enough established Championship players. imo.
Login to get fewer ads

Back four on 07:56 - Oct 22 with 1667 viewsBLUEGOLD

A centre half at right back and a right back at left back, those ill fitting square pegs again.

The Loft for Words team summed it up pretty well.

Pennington and Chambers should be our centre backs, Donacian at right back and Knudsen at left back with our current players.

Bart back in goal.

The problem is a lack of players who are proven performers at this level.
Back four on 08:06 - Oct 22 with 1660 viewschristiand

Many have mentioned on here that they were surprised he didn't start with the defence that finished the game against Swansea, it really is yet another baffling decision by PH. For me, there are too many players playing out of position and I still very much believe he is selecting players to accommodate them as they are 'HIS' signings and he hasn't got the b*llocks to drop them because they aren't good enough and admit he was wrong.

For Leeds this would be my back 4: Donacien, Pennington Chambers and Knudsen, play round pegs in round holes, it really is that simple!!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Back four on 14:13 - Oct 22 with 1603 viewsWickets

Back four on 08:06 - Oct 22 by christiand

Many have mentioned on here that they were surprised he didn't start with the defence that finished the game against Swansea, it really is yet another baffling decision by PH. For me, there are too many players playing out of position and I still very much believe he is selecting players to accommodate them as they are 'HIS' signings and he hasn't got the b*llocks to drop them because they aren't good enough and admit he was wrong.

For Leeds this would be my back 4: Donacien, Pennington Chambers and Knudsen, play round pegs in round holes, it really is that simple!!

Yup that would be my back four as well. Just a pity Josh is out on loan as i think he is a better right back with some Championship and league 1 matches under his belt.
Back four on 15:05 - Oct 22 with 1583 viewsbluebare

It was working at Swansea as nothing was coming down our left it was Pennington getting roasted. Knudson made no difference. it was the whole team that put in effort that got the result and deserved the luck they got
Back four on 15:16 - Oct 22 with 1567 viewsDarth_Koont

Added to which Knudsen is one of the few players we have who gets up and supports the players ahead of him for 90 minutes.

The lack of this support that leaves us isolated in possession and stretched is the biggest problem the team faces IMO. And really exposes the lack of individual quality. But that shouldn't be a problem if we're a better organised team.

Pronouns: He/Him

Back four on 15:18 - Oct 22 with 1563 viewsFrimleyBlue

Back four on 08:06 - Oct 22 by christiand

Can't remember the game now, but that game where the second half was soooooooo much better than the first, yet hurst 48 hours after came out with how the first half wasn't as bad as everyone made out.

He sees things thousands of other people don't see.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Back four on 15:52 - Oct 22 with 1547 viewschristiand

Back four on 15:18 - Oct 22 by FrimleyBlue

Can't remember the game now, but that game where the second half was soooooooo much better than the first, yet hurst 48 hours after came out with how the first half wasn't as bad as everyone made out.

He sees things thousands of other people don't see.

Was that the Brentford game Frimley? First half was absolutely shocking, quite similar to Saturday's overall performance, that's quite an achievement!!!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Back four on 16:11 - Oct 22 with 1526 viewsFrimleyBlue

Back four on 15:52 - Oct 22 by christiand

Was that the Brentford game Frimley? First half was absolutely shocking, quite similar to Saturday's overall performance, that's quite an achievement!!!

That's the one.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024