Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
10 million WAR CHEST!! It's not very much money for the Championship... 17:27 - Oct 28 with 4352 viewsLeagueOne

It's 2018. We made something like £9,200,000 in transfer fees alone this summer selling just three players. I see some people find the figure to be unbelievable as it appears large, but in this era, it's not.

£10million will hardly make much of the difference, since we need in my view 6 or 7 players to be able to really ensure safety and we just don't have the overall quality for a couple of average signings to be enough. Wages will also be an issue, as we're still one of the lowest payers in the league.

It's the bare minimum...... again. We're refusing to compete. £10mill is pissing into the wind.

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

10 million WAR CHEST!! It's not very much money for the Championship... on 17:29 - Oct 28 with 3640 viewsnoggin

Would we be allowed to spend more, according to FFP?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

10 million WAR CHEST!! It's not very much money for the Championship... on 17:31 - Oct 28 with 3629 viewsLeagueOne

10 million WAR CHEST!! It's not very much money for the Championship... on 17:29 - Oct 28 by noggin

I don't in that regard, but is it worth staying up, breaking FFP and taking the point loss for the next season and remaining in this league? Depends how much more money Evans stands to lose going down.

10 million WAR CHEST!! It's not very much money for the Championship... on 17:34 - Oct 28 with 3610 viewsJ2BLUE

£10m spent wisely would be a massive help.

The chances of us actually spending a net £10m over the next couple of windows are virtually zero though.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

10 million WAR CHEST!! It's not very much money for the Championship... on 17:35 - Oct 28 with 3599 viewsDennyx4

It may not seem much in todays world, but is more than I expect Evans to make available.

The squad needs major surgery, agree we need 6 players - that is going to be tough even with £10m.
10 million WAR CHEST!! It's not very much money for the Championship... on 17:39 - Oct 28 with 3581 viewsagentp

10 million WAR CHEST!! It's not very much money for the Championship... on 17:35 - Oct 28 by Dennyx4

It may not seem much in todays world, but is more than I expect Evans to make available.

The squad needs major surgery, agree we need 6 players - that is going to be tough even with £10m.

I would imagine Lambert will attract a few decent freebies though, and although they will expect to be paid I am sure we will get a few of the current failures off the books. I can see £10m bringing in 6-7 players on the basis of purchases freebies and wage reduction.

Poll: If only these two were available who would you choose for the rest of the season

10 million WAR CHEST!! It's not very much money for the Championship... on 17:42 - Oct 28 with 3556 viewsBenters2

10 million WAR CHEST!! It's not very much money for the Championship... on 17:34 - Oct 28 by J2BLUE

£10m spent wisely would be a massive help.

The chances of us actually spending a net £10m over the next couple of windows are virtually zero though.

This.
10 million WAR CHEST!! It's not very much money for the Championship... on 17:43 - Oct 28 with 3558 viewsHerbivore

Couple of points. £10m is plenty, it's more than we've ever spent in a single transfer window and more than we've spent in the last 6 years combined. We also don't need 6 or 7 players, that's just silly. In fact the last thing we need is another overhaul straight away. 2 or 3 quality signings - a striker, a CB and a wide player - will be sufficient and a budget of £10m would easily be enough to cover those signings.
[Post edited 28 Oct 2018 17:59]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

10 million WAR CHEST!! It's not very much money for the Championship... on 17:45 - Oct 28 with 3543 viewsDennyx4

10 million WAR CHEST!! It's not very much money for the Championship... on 17:39 - Oct 28 by agentp

I would imagine Lambert will attract a few decent freebies though, and although they will expect to be paid I am sure we will get a few of the current failures off the books. I can see £10m bringing in 6-7 players on the basis of purchases freebies and wage reduction.

Think Lambert may send some of the loans back, to free up space to bring in more experienced loans in January. Was Graham at Wolves with Lambert?

I guess the next couple of months is assessing the current players and to see who he would want to let go - but think we will be making a loss on any of the new signings.

Freebies can be tough to find this time of year too.
Login to get fewer ads

10 million WAR CHEST!! It's not very much money for the Championship... on 18:02 - Oct 28 with 3477 viewsBurwell_Blue

Put some of your own cash up?

Oh right.
10 million WAR CHEST!! It's not very much money for the Championship... on 18:08 - Oct 28 with 3462 viewsMJallday

I’ve got more chance of copping off with liz Hurley than we have of Spending 10million in this next transfer window

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

10 million WAR CHEST!! It's not very much money for the Championship... on 18:38 - Oct 28 with 3346 viewsElderGrizzly

10 million WAR CHEST!! It's not very much money for the Championship... on 17:31 - Oct 28 by LeagueOne

I don't in that regard, but is it worth staying up, breaking FFP and taking the point loss for the next season and remaining in this league? Depends how much more money Evans stands to lose going down.

The point loss is applied to the season it happened in, under the new rules introduced this summer.

We brought in about £9m, spent about £5m. We lose £6m before we start, so let’s say we are -£2m for now

Evans can lose £13m this season without starting to interest the Football League. So spending £10m on fees would still be ok. Plus, fees will no doubt be spread over a number of years.

All depends if this £10m is fees and wages or just fees. If the former, you won’t get much for £10m
10 million WAR CHEST!! It's not very much money for the Championship... on 18:49 - Oct 28 with 3302 viewsHorseboy

10 million WAR CHEST!! It's not very much money for the Championship... on 17:39 - Oct 28 by agentp

Dream world.

A 'few' decent freebies, there's barely one with value.

Getting failures off books will cost monster money, why should they go whilst under contract?

The 10m headline figure will not be transfer figure, forget it.
10 million WAR CHEST!! It's not very much money for the Championship... on 19:01 - Oct 28 with 3270 viewsartsbossbeard

Up until yesterday, there was no mention of a war chest and the thought was we'd have to dig ourselves out of the hole with what we've got. Now there's a supposed £10 million, it's not enough.

Crivens.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

10 million WAR CHEST!! It's not very much money for the Championship... on 19:15 - Oct 28 with 3225 viewsagentp

10 million WAR CHEST!! It's not very much money for the Championship... on 18:49 - Oct 28 by Horseboy

Dream world.

A 'few' decent freebies, there's barely one with value.

Getting failures off books will cost monster money, why should they go whilst under contract?

The 10m headline figure will not be transfer figure, forget it.

We have picked up several decent freebies over the years. Some of our better players have been freebies.

Regarding point 2, I am not talking about costing money by cancelling contracts [that's obvious] There are some players that could be removed this January - those in their final year can be loaned with a view to a permanent.

Regarding point 3, We don't know, but as the headline of the post mentions it, we are speculating on it.

Poll: If only these two were available who would you choose for the rest of the season

10 million WAR CHEST!! It's not very much money for the Championship... on 19:40 - Oct 28 with 3153 viewsSwansea_Blue

10 million WAR CHEST!! It's not very much money for the Championship... on 17:29 - Oct 28 by noggin

Yes, because it’s over a rolling 3 yr period I think. Which is how clubs get away with apparent profligacy. But you’re banking on a future PL income then, so it’s very much a gamble. Also, the penalty for breaching FFP doesn’t particularly seem a deterrent, so does it matter if we’re ‘allowed’ or not?

But I’ve no problem with us living within our means - I don’t see any advantages loading up the club with debt, even if it’s internal (it could still be an issue when our glorious leader comes to sell).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

10 million WAR CHEST!! It's not very much money for the Championship... on 19:49 - Oct 28 with 3113 viewsjeera

10 million WAR CHEST!! It's not very much money for the Championship... on 19:40 - Oct 28 by Swansea_Blue

Yes, because it’s over a rolling 3 yr period I think. Which is how clubs get away with apparent profligacy. But you’re banking on a future PL income then, so it’s very much a gamble. Also, the penalty for breaching FFP doesn’t particularly seem a deterrent, so does it matter if we’re ‘allowed’ or not?

But I’ve no problem with us living within our means - I don’t see any advantages loading up the club with debt, even if it’s internal (it could still be an issue when our glorious leader comes to sell).

"Living within our means".

You see posters banging on that "we've" not spent all the cash "made" on sales on a like-for-like basis, but the Town has always tried to capitalise on players, by either developing or buying low, then selling as high as possible. That is the right way for a club our size to operate.

Some seem to have no concept of business whatsoever and think 'the money' is play money or something, for us to do with as we please.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

10 million WAR CHEST!! It's not very much money for the Championship... on 19:56 - Oct 28 with 3097 viewsnshearman1

10 million WAR CHEST!! It's not very much money for the Championship... on 17:43 - Oct 28 by Herbivore

Couple of points. £10m is plenty, it's more than we've ever spent in a single transfer window and more than we've spent in the last 6 years combined. We also don't need 6 or 7 players, that's just silly. In fact the last thing we need is another overhaul straight away. 2 or 3 quality signings - a striker, a CB and a wide player - will be sufficient and a budget of £10m would easily be enough to cover those signings.

Agree with your key point that we need just 2 or 3 quality players, not quantity which has proved to be such a basic mistake. However, on the £10 million, you're comparing that to our previous spending, which has for a long time been minimal compared to most other Championship clubs. Compared to other current clubs, it doesn't really amount to a hugely significant 'war chest' but I suppose it's a start. For Evans, he's having to make that money available, contrary to all his basic instincts, because we're in such ordure as a result of all his previous errors and strategies and he fears the further financial hit he'll have to take if we get relegated.
10 million WAR CHEST!! It's not very much money for the Championship... on 21:47 - Oct 28 with 2949 viewsLeagueOne

10 million WAR CHEST!! It's not very much money for the Championship... on 17:43 - Oct 28 by Herbivore

How is 10mil plenty in today's climate though? It's all very well saying that but considering how much Derby paid for Waghorn to sit on their bench as a just in case, can we actually name "2 or 3" quality signings that will cost less than ten million? We need 6 or 7 players - we are a million miles off pace and one or two players will not save us because they cannot win games alone, our backline as it stands is worth 2 goals to the opposition before a call has been kicked and we don't have any real ability to score. I think you are greatly over confident in the ability of this squad. The league tables, performances and results have not lied. They are simply not good enough and the proof is there - why deny it?

10 million WAR CHEST!! It's not very much money for the Championship... on 21:51 - Oct 28 with 2941 viewsLeagueOne

10 million WAR CHEST!! It's not very much money for the Championship... on 18:02 - Oct 28 by Burwell_Blue

Put some of your own cash up?

Oh right.

I do, it's called going to 90% of the games for past 20 odd years.

Either way, what a stupid argument to make. £10million is not enough money to compete in the Championship in 2018, it's a fact, how does whether I am putting my money forward or not effect that fact?

I didn't see Wolves saying "well we were going to go all out this season and finally achieve promotion by investing in the right players and manager , but we can't do that despite having the resources available because running a football club is beyond the means of the majority of our fans, so we just won't" ... haha

10 million WAR CHEST!! It's not very much money for the Championship... on 21:53 - Oct 28 with 2936 viewsLeagueOne

10 million WAR CHEST!! It's not very much money for the Championship... on 19:01 - Oct 28 by artsbossbeard

Up until yesterday, there was no mention of a war chest and the thought was we'd have to dig ourselves out of the hole with what we've got. Now there's a supposed £10 million, it's not enough.

Crivens.

Well it isn't, is it? Let's be honest. It's 2018 not 1998.

10 million WAR CHEST!! It's not very much money for the Championship... on 22:08 - Oct 28 with 2910 viewsGuthrum

10 million WAR CHEST!! It's not very much money for the Championship... on 21:47 - Oct 28 by LeagueOne

How is 10mil plenty in today's climate though? It's all very well saying that but considering how much Derby paid for Waghorn to sit on their bench as a just in case, can we actually name "2 or 3" quality signings that will cost less than ten million? We need 6 or 7 players - we are a million miles off pace and one or two players will not save us because they cannot win games alone, our backline as it stands is worth 2 goals to the opposition before a call has been kicked and we don't have any real ability to score. I think you are greatly over confident in the ability of this squad. The league tables, performances and results have not lied. They are simply not good enough and the proof is there - why deny it?

It's a question of apportioning blame for the results. How much is down to player quality alone, how much to managerial tactics and inconsistent selection?

After the first few matches, Hurst never selected the same team twice and put players in unexpected positions. His tactics were ineffective. Yesterday was quite an experimental line-up, too, with three CBs (including Chalobah). Which was actually changed during the match. Love Klug as a developer of Youth, but don't think he's a Championship manager, looking at his record.

A decent manager who knows what he's doing (Lambert is that), with some consistency of training and selection added to a more effective setup will allow the players to forge some cohesion and to perform far better than they have been.

That will still leave some holes in the squad (notably up front), but two or three, not the half-dozen or more you're looking at.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

10 million WAR CHEST!! It's not very much money for the Championship... on 22:39 - Oct 28 with 2835 viewsHerbivore

10 million WAR CHEST!! It's not very much money for the Championship... on 21:47 - Oct 28 by LeagueOne

We're not competing with Derby though, certainly not this season. £10m will get us 2 or 3 players of decent calibre, which is what we need.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

10 million WAR CHEST!! It's not very much money for the Championship... on 22:46 - Oct 28 with 2814 viewscaught-in-limbo

if football success is directly proportional to spending power, the sport just becomes a question of who can afford the best manager and players with their filthy rich owner's filthy money. I'd rather get relegated than buy into that.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

10 million WAR CHEST!! It's not very much money for the Championship... on 23:42 - Oct 28 with 2736 viewsWeird_Beard

Let's face it; £10m when the season is over half finished. It could be all too late by then, in which case Evans might then decide to keep his money.
10 million WAR CHEST!! It's not very much money for the Championship... on 04:28 - Oct 29 with 2638 viewspowinswitch

Agree that 3 is plenty and we don’t want a second overhaul. I would stick with the spine of the team. I will be genuinely surprised and elated if lambert can turn this around without a season in league 1.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024