Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Quick laptop/MS Office settings question 09:05 - Oct 31 with 1365 viewsartsbossbeard

I've somehow pressed a button that means when I type, I simply can't click within a sentence I'm writing and insert additional words as it simply overwrites anything past where I've clicked.

The Insert button is your friend, I hear you say, however, on my HP laptop, the "ins" button is shared with the "print screen" button with "ins" sitting on top of the two. I've tried Shift, ctrl & alt in separately and in conjunction with hitting the button with no joy.

Note: This must be an MS thing, as it works absolutely fine on here.

Thanks in advance
[Post edited 31 Oct 2018 9:08]

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Quick laptop/MS Office settings question on 09:10 - Oct 31 with 1329 viewsSamuelowen88

Press insert button. Should undo the setting

Poll: England v Wales Score

Quick laptop/MS Office settings question on 09:11 - Oct 31 with 1329 viewseireblue

I think you have to wait until the support team from the internet contact you, then they will fix it if you play them Radio 4.
Quick laptop/MS Office settings question on 09:12 - Oct 31 with 1322 viewsartsbossbeard

Quick laptop/MS Office settings question on 09:10 - Oct 31 by Samuelowen88

Press insert button. Should undo the setting

No joy, I'll reboot it and see if that sorts things. Ta anyway.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

Quick laptop/MS Office settings question on 09:19 - Oct 31 with 1308 viewsSamuelowen88

Quick laptop/MS Office settings question on 09:12 - Oct 31 by artsbossbeard

No joy, I'll reboot it and see if that sorts things. Ta anyway.

Sorry had t read properly

In Word
Options
Edit
Advanced Editing
Uncheck “overtype mode”

Quick laptop/MS Office settings question on 09:22 - Oct 31 with 1292 viewsfooters

Quick laptop/MS Office settings question on 09:19 - Oct 31 by Samuelowen88

In Word
Options
Edit
Advanced Editing
Uncheck “overtype mode”

Overtype, or OVR, is the most stupid, pointless setting ever. I can honestly think of no need for it. Drives me nuts when it happens to me.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Quick laptop/MS Office settings question on 09:26 - Oct 31 with 1278 viewsSamuelowen88

Quick laptop/MS Office settings question on 09:22 - Oct 31 by footers

Overtype, or OVR, is the most stupid, pointless setting ever. I can honestly think of no need for it. Drives me nuts when it happens to me.

I can’t think of precisely 0 examples where I would find it useful.

Probably some wierdo’s out there who use it all the time. Bit like thread mode on here ..
[Post edited 31 Oct 2018 9:28]

Quick laptop/MS Office settings question on 09:28 - Oct 31 with 1263 viewsfooters

Quick laptop/MS Office settings question on 09:26 - Oct 31 by Samuelowen88

I can’t think of precisely 0 examples where I would find it useful.

Probably some wierdo’s out there who use it all the time. Bit like thread mode on here ..
[Post edited 31 Oct 2018 9:28]

Maybe if you were looking to delete half your morning's work and get wound up at the same time.

Stay safe out there, people.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Quick laptop/MS Office settings question on 09:29 - Oct 31 with 1263 viewsartsbossbeard

Quick laptop/MS Office settings question on 09:19 - Oct 31 by Samuelowen88

In Word
Options
Edit
Advanced Editing
Uncheck “overtype mode”

Cheers for this, super!

Login to get fewer ads

Quick laptop/MS Office settings question on 09:30 - Oct 31 with 1257 viewsartsbossbeard

Quick laptop/MS Office settings question on 09:28 - Oct 31 by footers

Maybe if you were looking to delete half your morning's work and get wound up at the same time.

Stay safe out there, people.

As a keyboard watcher rather than a screen watcher, I can confirm this to be very real.

Quick laptop/MS Office settings question on 13:49 - Oct 31 with 1098 viewsfactual_blue

Quick laptop/MS Office settings question on 09:11 - Oct 31 by eireblue

I think you have to wait until the support team from the internet contact you, then they will fix it if you play them Radio 4.

...but make sure you have an etch-a-sketch to hand...

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024