Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol 15:25 - Nov 21 with 3866 viewsStokieBlue

The closer one gets to power the more inventive ways one comes up with to try and grab probably their one shot:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-john-mcdonnell-theresa-may

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 15:34 - Nov 21 with 3323 viewsbrazil1982

This odious man and the Opposition would say this wouldn't they? They have no chance to be elected, so try and sneak in by other means.
McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 15:54 - Nov 21 with 3293 viewsWD19

What exactly is stopping Mr Corbyn from putting 'Labour’s plans before MPs'? Has he not got a typewriter and access to a photocopier!? Come on JC.....spill the beans......whats the answer?
McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 16:26 - Nov 21 with 3252 viewsNo9

As has been explained many times under the 'Fixed Pariament' legislation the opposition can shout all they like they can't do anything about ousting the sitting government unless they can get at least 60% of a vote in the HoC.
McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 16:37 - Nov 21 with 3247 views26_Paz

McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 15:54 - Nov 21 by WD19

What exactly is stopping Mr Corbyn from putting 'Labour’s plans before MPs'? Has he not got a typewriter and access to a photocopier!? Come on JC.....spill the beans......whats the answer?

He doesn't have a plan to put forward ...

The Paz Man

McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 16:39 - Nov 21 with 3236 viewsNo9

McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 15:54 - Nov 21 by WD19

Wouldn't that be a part of any manifesto as & when a G.E. is called?
McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 16:43 - Nov 21 with 3246 viewsStokieBlue

McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 16:39 - Nov 21 by No9

Wouldn't that be a part of any manifesto as & when a G.E. is called?

Did you read the article?

He doesn't want a GE - he want the Queen to install Labour as a minority government if the brexit bill doesn't pass.

SB

McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 16:54 - Nov 21 with 3229 viewsGeoffSentence

McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 16:43 - Nov 21 by StokieBlue

He doesn't want a GE - he want the Queen to install Labour as a minority government if the brexit bill doesn't pass.

SB

There's nothing spectacularly controversial about that. It is what has happened at two of the last 3 elections. The only difference here is the timing, it is not directly after an election. If the government has lost the support of the DUP and can no longer command a majority, there's nothing with Labour trying to raise a majority.

Can't see it happening though.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 16:56 - Nov 21 with 3225 viewsStokieBlue

McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 16:54 - Nov 21 by GeoffSentence

There's nothing spectacularly controversial about that. It is what has happened at two of the last 3 elections. The only difference here is the timing, it is not directly after an election. If the government has lost the support of the DUP and can no longer command a majority, there's nothing with Labour trying to raise a majority.

Can't see it happening though.

It's pretty unusual, has it ever been done when a sitting government was already in power? After a GE yes but not mid-cycle that I can think of.

SB

Login to get fewer ads

McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 17:01 - Nov 21 with 3215 viewsGeoffSentence

McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 16:56 - Nov 21 by StokieBlue

It's pretty unusual, has it ever been done when a sitting government was already in power? After a GE yes but not mid-cycle that I can think of.

SB

So far as I know it has never happened, and probably wouldn't if it weren't for the fixed term parliaments act. In previous years a vote of no confidence would have seen the government fold shortly after.

But for all that I cannot see how Labour will be able to command a majority.

I am pretty sure the DUP wouldn't prop them up.
SNP might help out I suppose, if they were offered something tasty like indyref2.
Lib Dems would probably shy away from it, they had their fingers burnt with propping up minority government too recently.

I just cn't see them getting the support they need.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 17:08 - Nov 21 with 3208 viewsXYZ

McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 17:01 - Nov 21 by GeoffSentence

So far as I know it has never happened, and probably wouldn't if it weren't for the fixed term parliaments act. In previous years a vote of no confidence would have seen the government fold shortly after.

SNP might help out I suppose, if they were offered something tasty like indyref2.
Lib Dems would probably shy away from it, they had their fingers burnt with propping up minority government too recently.

Rebel tories so embarrassed by the mess they've made they decide to act in the nations best interest?

There would be a few of them if it really got to the stage where the Fixed Term Act created a governmental vacuum as it is capable of doing.
McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 17:22 - Nov 21 with 3173 viewsNo9

SB

He should know it doesn't work like that it's pointless politicians trying to impress with fanciful ideas
McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 17:26 - Nov 21 with 3162 viewsNo9

It seems pretty obvious that when Mr Cameron introduced the 'Fixed Term' pailiamentary bill what he was trying to do. I don't for one moment think he had never enivisaged the situation we have now.
McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 17:44 - Nov 21 with 3132 viewsGlasgowBlue

McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 17:08 - Nov 21 by XYZ

Rebel tories so embarrassed by the mess they've made they decide to act in the nations best interest?

There would be a few of them if it really got to the stage where the Fixed Term Act created a governmental vacuum as it is capable of doing.

I can't imagine that there is a single Tory MP who believes that it is in the nation's best interest for Jeremy Corbyn to become Prime Minister.

So the numbers simply aren't there for Labour. There are even Labour MP's who have said that they wouldn't vote to make Jezza PM.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 17:56 - Nov 21 with 3134 viewsXYZ

McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 17:44 - Nov 21 by GlasgowBlue

I can't imagine that there is a single Tory MP who believes that it is in the nation's best interest for Jeremy Corbyn to become Prime Minister.

So the numbers simply aren't there for Labour. There are even Labour MP's who have said that they wouldn't vote to make Jezza PM.

I accept that's a valid view, but it is an opinion.

I can't imagine this would actually happen in practice because a GE would be called, but theoretically you could have a position where the country is ungoverned.

What does the monarch do?
McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 18:41 - Nov 21 with 3102 viewslongtimefan

McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 16:26 - Nov 21 by No9

As has been explained many times under the 'Fixed Pariament' legislation the opposition can shout all they like they can't do anything about ousting the sitting government unless they can get at least 60% of a vote in the HoC.

Not if they raise a vote of no confidence! That only needs a majority.
McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 19:07 - Nov 21 with 3072 viewsVic

McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 16:37 - Nov 21 by 26_Paz

He doesn't have a plan to put forward ...

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 19:10 - Nov 21 with 3068 viewsGuthrum

McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 18:41 - Nov 21 by longtimefan

Not if they raise a vote of no confidence! That only needs a majority.

Altho it is a vote of no confidence in the government.

So you'd need either every non-Tory backing the motion, including the DUP (almost certainly resulting in the loss of their current leverage), or a number of Conservatives potentially kicking their own party out of power (and thereby quite probably truncating their own political careers).

Neither very likely scenarios.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2018 19:22]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 19:17 - Nov 21 with 3056 viewsGuthrum

SB

How would that work? They wouldn't have the numbers to get legislstion through the house (an essential prerequisite of forming a government), even in the unlikely event the SNP agrees to cooperate. It would survive a few months, at best, without a GE.

McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 19:23 - Nov 21 with 3048 viewsDarth_Koont

The SNP would definitely help them out. Failing independence, keeping the Tories out of power is the best scenario for Scotland.

Pronouns: He/Him

McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 21:12 - Nov 21 with 2989 viewsStokieBlue

McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 19:17 - Nov 21 by Guthrum

How would that work? They wouldn't have the numbers to get legislstion through the house (an essential prerequisite of forming a government), even in the unlikely event the SNP agrees to cooperate. It would survive a few months, at best, without a GE.

It wouldn't work.

It's a strange idea, hence the thread title - he's desperate to get his precious.

SB

McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 21:15 - Nov 21 with 2984 viewsStokieBlue

McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 19:23 - Nov 21 by Darth_Koont

The SNP would definitely help them out. Failing independence, keeping the Tories out of power is the best scenario for Scotland.

Interesting and you could well be right, however 29% of Scottish voters didn't see it that way in the last election.

I agree the SNP would likely see it that way though.

SB

McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 22:35 - Nov 21 with 2926 viewsDarth_Koont

McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 21:15 - Nov 21 by StokieBlue

Interesting and you could well be right, however 29% of Scottish voters didn't see it that way in the last election.

I agree the SNP would likely see it that way though.

SB

I'm sure the last couple of years' performance has left only the McGammon fanatics in support.

Pronouns: He/Him

McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 23:44 - Nov 21 with 2889 viewsjeera

How many times can an incumbent government change its leader/the PM?

I guess there must be a limit.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 00:17 - Nov 22 with 2866 viewsGuthrum

McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 23:44 - Nov 21 by jeera

How many times can an incumbent government change its leader/the PM?

I guess there must be a limit.

Nope. As long as that new person can command a majority in the House sufficient to get major legislation through (e.g. budgets), they will be Prime Minister.

McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 09:23 - Nov 22 with 2742 viewslongtimefan

McDonnell seems to have gone a bit Smeagol on 19:10 - Nov 21 by Guthrum

Altho it is a vote of no confidence in the government.

So you'd need either every non-Tory backing the motion, including the DUP (almost certainly resulting in the loss of their current leverage), or a number of Conservatives potentially kicking their own party out of power (and thereby quite probably truncating their own political careers).

Neither very likely scenarios.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2018 19:22]

But how is that different to a non-fixed term Parliament situation which would also require a vote of no confidence to remove a government not wishing to call an election?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024