Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How big of a 'big club' would we be in League One 12:05 - Dec 3 with 5692 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Assuming that the worse does happen, how many bigger clubs than us would have been in League One in the last 25 years or so?

Initially I thought not many, then realised it is probably plenty. Nowadays, a big club surely is deemed that by the recent seasons in the Premier League and the attendance and size of the stadium?

Manchester City had never had our sustained European pedigree when they went down. Leeds had, so were clearly bigger, but aside from them and Forest, there arguably aren't any clubs in that time with a bigger history.

Sheffield United, Sheffield Wednesday, Southampton, Wigan, Norwich, Coventry and a load of others have been clubs that have spent a while in the top flight, won FA Cups or League Cups, but not really done what we had.

But given our success 40-45 years ago, in reality I guess we are now so much smaller than a Sunderland that have achieved nothing in the top flight in this time but were simply there long enough to be determined as huge now they are in the third tier.

It's made me a little sad that it feels like we would be viewed as a massive club, but in reality we would be compared by anyone under 30 or 40 as a Bolton or Barnsley - a club that gets 15,000 and hasn't been in the Premier League for ages.

Even more depressing!

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

How big of a 'big club' would we be in League One on 13:20 - Dec 3 with 5573 viewsVic

I guess we'd now be the equivalent what Preston, Bolton, Blackburn or Burnley were when we were lads - clubs that had a history but had been naff and written off for years. Did we ever see any of them getting back up to the top division again?

It feels like the end just now, but if/when ME goes and e get someone else in willing to put a bit more money in then thing can easily change. - like it has for Bournmouth, Burnley, Fulham or Swansea.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

How big of a 'big club' would we be in League One on 13:40 - Dec 3 with 5521 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

How big of a 'big club' would we be in League One on 13:20 - Dec 3 by Vic

I guess we'd now be the equivalent what Preston, Bolton, Blackburn or Burnley were when we were lads - clubs that had a history but had been naff and written off for years. Did we ever see any of them getting back up to the top division again?

It feels like the end just now, but if/when ME goes and e get someone else in willing to put a bit more money in then thing can easily change. - like it has for Bournmouth, Burnley, Fulham or Swansea.

The worry is though that Oxford, Luton, Coventry had a history of being top flight teams for a period and Tranmere, Stockport, Bury and Crewe had time as Championship clubs.

Nobody knows what the future will bring but I am trying to look on the bright side. We either get a chance to experience something new and interesting (and scary) next season in League One with plenty of new teams and grounds OR we have one hell of a brilliant next six months ahead staying up!

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

How big of a 'big club' would we be in League One on 13:48 - Dec 3 with 5483 viewstabletopjoe

We’d try with the same manager for a bit and narrrowly miss out, going out of the play offs a couple of times. Then with a new manager, we’d rebuild and have another good go, after a new owner takes over to buy up the debt and promising that Ipswich ‘belong in the division above’. Then after the manager over spends and has a bad start to the next season, he’s sacked and a trusted older manager comes in, but without any more budget who ‘steadies the ship’. After ten years of failure under the new owner, a new approach is tried with an up and coming manager...

'Let the ignorant argue with themselves' -- CL

How big of a 'big club' would we be in League One on 13:57 - Dec 3 with 5451 viewsReuser_is_God

Season tickets £180 quid

Matchday tickets £15

Do that & get 25k each week & we’ll be massive. If we go down & don’t change & only get a hardcore 10k it’ll be even worse.

As a club we have to do absolutely everything we can to turn it into a positive.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

How big of a 'big club' would we be in League One on 14:09 - Dec 3 with 5403 viewsHorseboy

How big of a 'big club' would we be in League One on 13:57 - Dec 3 by Reuser_is_God

Season tickets £180 quid

Matchday tickets £15

Do that & get 25k each week & we’ll be massive. If we go down & don’t change & only get a hardcore 10k it’ll be even worse.

As a club we have to do absolutely everything we can to turn it into a positive.

Would be interested to know what Sunderland have done to sell there product for this season?
How big of a 'big club' would we be in League One on 14:51 - Dec 3 with 5301 viewsSlambo

How big of a 'big club' would we be in League One on 13:57 - Dec 3 by Reuser_is_God

Season tickets £180 quid

Matchday tickets £15

If that was accompanied by a complete change in tack from Evans, i.e no more messing about, I now understand it takes investment to turn us into a competitive, C'ship playoff side and that is what i''m going to do from now on; or, indeed a new owner/ownership group comes in and makes the same sort of statement...

If we had either of those scenarios, plus a lowering of ticket prices, Portman Road would be rocking even in League 1. I'd actually be genuinely excited. My concern is that Evans, in an attempt to recoup some of his losses, clings on desperately waiting for someone to meet his inflated asking price for the club, then we just simply transition from being the team with the 16th highest wage bill in the champ, to the team with the 16th highest wage bill in League 1...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

How big of a 'big club' would we be in League One on 14:51 - Dec 3 with 5303 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Season tickets £180 quid

Matchday tickets £15

Agree with this.

Cheap tickets, some early season wins, a young team and suddenly the mood changes. If we got some momentum going, we’d get 18-20k most weeks.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

How big of a 'big club' would we be in League One on 15:01 - Dec 3 with 5244 viewsReuser_is_God

How big of a 'big club' would we be in League One on 14:51 - Dec 3 by Slambo

If that was accompanied by a complete change in tack from Evans, i.e no more messing about, I now understand it takes investment to turn us into a competitive, C'ship playoff side and that is what i''m going to do from now on; or, indeed a new owner/ownership group comes in and makes the same sort of statement...

If we had either of those scenarios, plus a lowering of ticket prices, Portman Road would be rocking even in League 1. I'd actually be genuinely excited. My concern is that Evans, in an attempt to recoup some of his losses, clings on desperately waiting for someone to meet his inflated asking price for the club, then we just simply transition from being the team with the 16th highest wage bill in the champ, to the team with the 16th highest wage bill in League 1...

That is of course the worry but we need to do everything we can to bounce back at the first attempt which means he’s got to give us the biggest budget in that league.

Appreciate that lower prices as I’ve said contradicts that slightly but sometimes drastic action is needed.

20k paying 15 quid a game is more beneficial than 8k paying 25 quid a game

Evans out

Login to get fewer ads

How big of a 'big club' would we be in League One on 15:03 - Dec 3 with 5225 viewsReuser_is_God

How big of a 'big club' would we be in League One on 14:09 - Dec 3 by Horseboy

Would be interested to know what Sunderland have done to sell there product for this season?

Not sure but they had a change of ownership & it seems to be going well.

Evans out

How big of a 'big club' would we be in League One on 15:03 - Dec 3 with 5226 viewsReuser_is_God

How big of a 'big club' would we be in League One on 14:51 - Dec 3 by The_Romford_Blue

Agree with this.

Cheap tickets, some early season wins, a young team and suddenly the mood changes. If we got some momentum going, we’d get 18-20k most weeks.

It’s the only way.

We have to do absolutely everything we can to make it a positive, if we don’t we’ll be down there for years.

Evans out

How big of a 'big club' would we be in League One on 15:06 - Dec 3 with 5212 viewsCoco

How big of a 'big club' would we be in League One on 15:03 - Dec 3 by Reuser_is_God

It’s the only way.

We have to do absolutely everything we can to make it a positive, if we don’t we’ll be down there for years.

Lambert clearly gets this too so hopefully will hammer that point home - if he stays.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

How big of a 'big club' would we be in League One on 15:18 - Dec 3 with 5169 viewsRadlett_blue

How big of a 'big club' would we be in League One on 14:51 - Dec 3 by Slambo

If the inevitable relegation happens, I'm afraid Evans's main focus will again be on limiting losses by shipping out high earners & selling any saleable assets, probably our most promising younger players.
Funnily enough, rather like we needed McCarthy to get us out of this hole, we probably need Hurst to get us back out of League One.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

How big of a 'big club' would we be in League One on 15:21 - Dec 3 with 5160 viewsSpruceMoose

How big of a 'big club' would we be in League One on 15:01 - Dec 3 by Reuser_is_God

That is of course the worry but we need to do everything we can to bounce back at the first attempt which means he’s got to give us the biggest budget in that league.

Appreciate that lower prices as I’ve said contradicts that slightly but sometimes drastic action is needed.

20k paying 15 quid a game is more beneficial than 8k paying 25 quid a game

Forgive me if I am wrong, but are the rules for League One not that wages can't be more than 60% of turnover, in which case I am sure we are already waaaaay over that currently, meaning we will be slashing the playing budget, losing players and generally, having an even worse team?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

How big of a 'big club' would we be in League One on 15:33 - Dec 3 with 5128 viewsReuser_is_God

How big of a 'big club' would we be in League One on 15:21 - Dec 3 by SpruceMoose

Forgive me if I am wrong, but are the rules for League One not that wages can't be more than 60% of turnover, in which case I am sure we are already waaaaay over that currently, meaning we will be slashing the playing budget, losing players and generally, having an even worse team?

I think so.

I'm sure rules can be bent & we can get by, we all know how pathetic financial punishments have been.

Evans out

How big of a 'big club' would we be in League One on 15:37 - Dec 3 with 5107 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

This is the exact narrative that makes us look stupid.
How big of a 'big club' would we be in League One on 15:39 - Dec 3 with 5105 viewsSlambo

How big of a 'big club' would we be in League One on 15:21 - Dec 3 by SpruceMoose

Taking this off on a slight tangent, but one of the points on Comrade Slambo's Manifesto for a Fairer and More Equitable Game would be to make it so all clubs' wage bills could only be a percentage of their turnover (I would've said 75%). This is a good rule. But - WHY IS IT ONLY APPLIED TO LEAGUE 1..?!

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

How big of a 'big club' would we be in League One on 15:40 - Dec 3 with 5105 viewsSpruceMoose

How big of a 'big club' would we be in League One on 15:33 - Dec 3 by Reuser_is_God

I think so.

I'm sure rules can be bent & we can get by, we all know how pathetic financial punishments have been.

I know, I've just always wanted us to be better than those other sh!tty clubs with their sh!tty ways of conducting themselves.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

How big of a 'big club' would we be in League One on 16:06 - Dec 3 with 5029 viewspablosturn

How big of a 'big club' would we be in League One on 15:03 - Dec 3 by Reuser_is_God

Not sure but they had a change of ownership & it seems to be going well.

£20 quid it appears, not bad but not cheap either?

See they have 16 game season tickets for £199 so £12 per game....
How big of a 'big club' would we be in League One on 16:19 - Dec 3 with 4988 viewsRadlett_blue

How big of a 'big club' would we be in League One on 15:39 - Dec 3 by Slambo

Taking this off on a slight tangent, but one of the points on Comrade Slambo's Manifesto for a Fairer and More Equitable Game would be to make it so all clubs' wage bills could only be a percentage of their turnover (I would've said 75%). This is a good rule. But - WHY IS IT ONLY APPLIED TO LEAGUE 1..?!

because the big owners in the Championship think that restricting their wage bills would prevent them from competing with those with parachute payments.

How big of a 'big club' would we be in League One on 16:20 - Dec 3 with 4983 viewsMattinLondon

In the championship there are two types of club. Small clubs and clubs who don’t yet know that they are small. In L1 all clubs are meaningless in terms of size.
How big of a 'big club' would we be in League One on 16:45 - Dec 3 with 4932 viewsGooders7592

We'd be a great away day for the smaller clubs in the league that haven't been to Portman Road for a while (or ever!)

You would like to think in terms of attracting players Ipswich Town is very tempting considering some of the other clubs in that league.

However, going down to League One would be the worse thing that can happen and I think we'll be stuck there like we have been in the Championship. Unless, of course, a change of stance/method from ME.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2018 16:45]
How big of a 'big club' would we be in League One on 16:54 - Dec 3 with 4893 viewsRadlett_blue

How big of a 'big club' would we be in League One on 16:45 - Dec 3 by Gooders7592

We'd be a great away day for the smaller clubs in the league that haven't been to Portman Road for a while (or ever!)

You would like to think in terms of attracting players Ipswich Town is very tempting considering some of the other clubs in that league.

However, going down to League One would be the worse thing that can happen and I think we'll be stuck there like we have been in the Championship. Unless, of course, a change of stance/method from ME.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2018 16:45]

Not if they're going to be fleeced for £40 for an ageing stand & woeful catering facilities.
Ipswich is also fairly remote geographically, with few clubs within 70 miles so don't expect many to bring more than a couple of coachloads.

How big of a 'big club' would we be in League One on 17:22 - Dec 3 with 4823 viewsstrikalite

As big as Charlton? They've been down there a few seasons now and gates have reflected that..

Posh charge £18 for ST holders(works out at)and on the day in main stand it's £27, so I think those kind of prices, we'd get gates around the same as now, start off winning(that's what it's all about)and we'd hopefully be getting around gates of 18-20k..
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024