Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nolan / Dozzell 07:09 - Dec 16 with 7686 viewsCurrie10

How did they play?

Shame Teddy got 0 minutes but he will be getting fitter!
Nolan / Dozzell on 07:18 - Dec 16 with 6245 viewschristiand

Certainly thought Nolan was neat and tidy during the first half and was at least trying some clever passes without looking overly threatening. Second half PL pushed him forward more. I was encouraged by what I saw of him, but was having less of an impact the longer the game went on. We weren’t playing much through the midfield by that point to be fair to him!! Dozzell came on late and showed quality by drawing fouls and making clever runs. Certainly the conditions didn’t help today, but thought Downes and Lankester were disappointing.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2018 7:24]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Nolan / Dozzell on 07:59 - Dec 16 with 6144 viewsBloomBlue

Nolan / Dozzell on 07:18 - Dec 16 by christiand

Certainly thought Nolan was neat and tidy during the first half and was at least trying some clever passes without looking overly threatening. Second half PL pushed him forward more. I was encouraged by what I saw of him, but was having less of an impact the longer the game went on. We weren’t playing much through the midfield by that point to be fair to him!! Dozzell came on late and showed quality by drawing fouls and making clever runs. Certainly the conditions didn’t help today, but thought Downes and Lankester were disappointing.

Weather had a big impact on the game, but agree Nolan had a good game. Lankester like a lot of youngsters is trying to dribble past too many players but he'll learn when to do that and when not to try that ans instead pass with experience and the more games he plays
Nolan / Dozzell on 07:59 - Dec 16 with 6151 viewshomer_123

There is a player, of sorts, there in Nolan.

For me, the game passes him by too much. I'd like him to do what Magic used to do and take the game by the scruff of the neck and run it. If Nolan is our creative outlet, he needs to get on the ball far more, simple as that.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Nolan / Dozzell on 08:27 - Dec 16 with 6012 viewsHerbivore

Thought Nolan was busy first half and showed quality on the ball at times. Second half passed him by but that was true of pretty much the whole team.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Nolan / Dozzell on 08:28 - Dec 16 with 6013 viewsBluebell

Nolan / Dozzell on 07:59 - Dec 16 by BloomBlue

Weather had a big impact on the game, but agree Nolan had a good game. Lankester like a lot of youngsters is trying to dribble past too many players but he'll learn when to do that and when not to try that ans instead pass with experience and the more games he plays

Lankester is left footed. He is playing on the right and needs to come inside every time. The other teams suss this out after a while and it restricts his influence on the game.
Nolan / Dozzell on 08:36 - Dec 16 with 5972 viewsWickets

Yer decent first half for Nolan , midfield over run and under the cosh second, i felt the midfield change should have been done about 10 minutes earlier, felt we got back in the midfield more when Andre came on. Blooody great to steal a goal though and get that win.
Nolan / Dozzell on 09:40 - Dec 16 with 5783 viewsStokieBlue

Nolan / Dozzell on 07:59 - Dec 16 by homer_123

For me, the game passes him by too much. I'd like him to do what Magic used to do and take the game by the scruff of the neck and run it. If Nolan is our creative outlet, he needs to get on the ball far more, simple as that.

He should come take the ball off the CB at goal kicks so they aren't under pressure to find a pass they unfortunately aren't capable of.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Nolan / Dozzell on 09:43 - Dec 16 with 5769 viewsMullet

Nolan / Dozzell on 08:28 - Dec 16 by Bluebell

Lankester is left footed. He is playing on the right and needs to come inside every time. The other teams suss this out after a while and it restricts his influence on the game.

Never hurt Arjen Robben.

All depends how good Jackie boy ends up being. Think people are getting a tad carried away at the minute but he's in the perfect place to develop whilst we have a dearth of options.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Login to get fewer ads

Nolan / Dozzell on 10:13 - Dec 16 with 5673 viewsitfc48

Yesterday was definitely a game more for Gwion than Lankester. My big worry is whilst Spence is at right back we need some decent defensive cover further forward and that’s the weakest part of Lankester’s game (understandably so as a young attacker).

Nolan showed flashes of promise - very tidy on the ball. I remember one delightful through ball to Knudsen. He was also a lot better defensively than I thought he would be.
Nolan / Dozzell on 11:26 - Dec 16 with 5533 viewsRobTheMonk

I've described Nolan as annonymously tidy. Both a compliment and criticism.

Dozzell needs to demand the ball more. For all Chalobah's faults he does this well.
Nolan / Dozzell on 11:27 - Dec 16 with 5521 viewsHerbivore

Nolan / Dozzell on 11:26 - Dec 16 by RobTheMonk

I've described Nolan as annonymously tidy. Both a compliment and criticism.

Dozzell needs to demand the ball more. For all Chalobah's faults he does this well.

I wish Chalobah would demand it less to be honest.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Nolan / Dozzell on 11:38 - Dec 16 with 5486 viewstitanicclown

This is bang on!

Imagine being 1-0 up in terrible conditions, enduring a right battle and with 15 minutes to go you take of Downes for Dozzell. Not a CB to see it out but a ball playing CM to keep the ball.
To me that says under Lambert we are getting back on track.
Nolan / Dozzell on 11:44 - Dec 16 with 5468 viewsLord_Lucan

Nolan / Dozzell on 07:59 - Dec 16 by homer_123

We have never replaced Magic, he was - bit good!

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Nolan / Dozzell on 11:46 - Dec 16 with 5466 viewsurbanblue

I thought Nolan had a very good first half , even the pick of the bunch. I would guess Lambert has been working on his confidence and taken in the context of a fresh start since he got back in the team he is improving every game. I am hopeful we have a player there after all.

Mick Mills was fairly critical of him and I have to say on this I disagreed with his analysis.

I was surprised that Dozzell was introduced in this game. Wasn't the conditions for his particular skills I wouldn't have thought but he did okay.
Nolan / Dozzell on 12:23 - Dec 16 with 5354 viewsBrixtonBlue

Nolan was largely anonymous to me, again. I'm not sure what he brings to the team.

Dozz is class. Didn't have a lot of time to make his mark but once again some clever flicks and passes that other players just don't see. Got a clattering and I was delighted to see him get up and seem untroubled by it.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Nolan / Dozzell on 13:47 - Dec 16 with 5190 viewsChocorange

Nolan / Dozzell on 11:46 - Dec 16 by urbanblue

I thought Nolan had a very good first half , even the pick of the bunch. I would guess Lambert has been working on his confidence and taken in the context of a fresh start since he got back in the team he is improving every game. I am hopeful we have a player there after all.

Mick Mills was fairly critical of him and I have to say on this I disagreed with his analysis.

I was surprised that Dozzell was introduced in this game. Wasn't the conditions for his particular skills I wouldn't have thought but he did okay.

Nolan had a good first half there were a number of iMessage he was involved and supporting and getting involved all over even down by the corner flag right ha d side at one point. His passing is better than most, in fact his % completion rate is the best of any midfielder in our team ( source infogols)
In the second half he did fade, and I wouldn't have been surprised to see him go off when Flynn did , on the plus side , he was the player who threw himself into winning the header to get the ball back to Roberts just before Sears scored. A better striker would have turned and scored and Nolan would have had an assist.
I was hoping for more goal threat from him when we signed him, apart from the cracking goal at Brum, a lot of his shots have been scuffed ( like Jackson in that regard ) and I wonder whether he is hurrying too much and been worried about the quicker defenders at this level. The more games he has , the better he may adapt.
Sometimes you have to look carefully at what a player brings, like Skuse's interceptions. We have to stop thinking of Nolan as Hursts man ( or an easy scapegoat) and realise he's one of ours and get behind him.
Nolan / Dozzell on 13:59 - Dec 16 with 5153 viewsPJH

Nolan / Dozzell on 13:47 - Dec 16 by Chocorange

Nolan had a good first half there were a number of iMessage he was involved and supporting and getting involved all over even down by the corner flag right ha d side at one point. His passing is better than most, in fact his % completion rate is the best of any midfielder in our team ( source infogols)
In the second half he did fade, and I wouldn't have been surprised to see him go off when Flynn did , on the plus side , he was the player who threw himself into winning the header to get the ball back to Roberts just before Sears scored. A better striker would have turned and scored and Nolan would have had an assist.
I was hoping for more goal threat from him when we signed him, apart from the cracking goal at Brum, a lot of his shots have been scuffed ( like Jackson in that regard ) and I wonder whether he is hurrying too much and been worried about the quicker defenders at this level. The more games he has , the better he may adapt.
Sometimes you have to look carefully at what a player brings, like Skuse's interceptions. We have to stop thinking of Nolan as Hursts man ( or an easy scapegoat) and realise he's one of ours and get behind him.

Not sure that is anything to do with getting behind him,for some of us it is more to do with questioning whether he is good enough.
Actually the same can be said about every one of Hurst's permanent signings in my opinion.
Of the many that came in I would say that Pennington (and Walters) are/were the best and if stories are to be believed Hurst had little to do with their arrival.
Nolan / Dozzell on 14:20 - Dec 16 with 5102 viewsWonky

Nolan, maybe be 'tidy but where's the forward pass? . Isn't he a playmaker?
OH FOR GODS SAKE on 14:57 - Dec 16 with 5026 viewsunstableblue

Nolan / Dozzell on 12:23 - Dec 16 by BrixtonBlue

Nolan was largely anonymous to me, again. I'm not sure what he brings to the team.

Dozz is class. Didn't have a lot of time to make his mark but once again some clever flicks and passes that other players just don't see. Got a clattering and I was delighted to see him get up and seem untroubled by it.

I've been one to criticise Nolan, but have always felt there was a good player in there..

Yesterday in the first half he was our best player by a county mile.

His interplay was causing Wigan real problems....

He was great to watch and set-up lots of our best wide play.

How on earth can anyone not be pleased with that performance??

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Nolan / Dozzell on 16:04 - Dec 16 with 4923 viewsFartman

He was well oriented, safe and effective on the ball, but needs to compete more. Dozzell didn't do much, and replacing Downes with him made us a bit light weight in midfield.

"Success is not final; failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts." -- Winston S. Churchill

OH FOR GODS SAKE on 16:10 - Dec 16 with 4914 viewsLankHenners

OH FOR GODS SAKE on 14:57 - Dec 16 by unstableblue

I've been one to criticise Nolan, but have always felt there was a good player in there..

You’ve been watching a fictional game in your head again. He did a lot of good work off the ball first half but on it he did the Kevin Bru role of receiving the ball then passing it backwards or sideways again. Maybe I’m being a bit harsh - Bru was a bit better than that.

The only ‘real problems’ we caused them was when they made a hash of dealing with long balls.

He was ok, and an improvement on some of his previous performances, but no more than that.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Nolan / Dozzell on 16:20 - Dec 16 with 4882 viewsPilgrimblue

I don't see how any of them could play in those conditions so would expect a better performance next game.
As for Bish, I think that PL was holding back for the Blades having stated that he needs to be handled with care.
OH FOR GODS SAKE on 17:02 - Dec 16 with 4828 viewsBrixtonBlue

OH FOR GODS SAKE on 14:57 - Dec 16 by unstableblue

You're exaggerating somewhat. I don't remember us causing Wigan "real problems", let alone Nolan. Did he have or create a scoring chance?! Maybe you can enlighten me.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

OH FOR GODS SAKE on 17:47 - Dec 16 with 4767 viewsunstableblue

OH FOR GODS SAKE on 16:10 - Dec 16 by LankHenners

You’ve been watching a fictional game in your head again. He did a lot of good work off the ball first half but on it he did the Kevin Bru role of receiving the ball then passing it backwards or sideways again. Maybe I’m being a bit harsh - Bru was a bit better than that.

The only ‘real problems’ we caused them was when they made a hash of dealing with long balls.

He was ok, and an improvement on some of his previous performances, but no more than that.

I suggest you watch the 'fictional' highlights you'll see Nolan puts in a great cross following good interplay and movement for our second best chance of the match.

Also his key header in the box to keep the ball in danger for our goal.

He also had the highest passing accuracy of any town player; and had more touches than Downes, Sears, Roberts, and Lankester.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

OH FOR GODS SAKE on 17:56 - Dec 16 with 4738 viewsLankHenners

OH FOR GODS SAKE on 17:47 - Dec 16 by unstableblue

I suggest you watch the 'fictional' highlights you'll see Nolan puts in a great cross following good interplay and movement for our second best chance of the match.

Also his key header in the box to keep the ball in danger for our goal.

He also had the highest passing accuracy of any town player; and had more touches than Downes, Sears, Roberts, and Lankester.

One half decent cross in one of the few times we got the ball down and passed with conviction in their half still doesn’t make him ‘our best player by a country mile’.

The goal was an awful mess all round with a big slice of good fortune helping us out.

Not hard to have high passing accuracy when you play the safe pass every time.

Just because you hated Mick so much doesn’t mean you have to be so over the top in praise for everything Hurst’s responsible for, especially now he’s gone.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2018 18:19]

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024