Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The thing is there wasn’t much in the game until Nolan decided to demonstrate 21:52 - Dec 26 with 1671 viewspatrickswell

that he CAN play defence-splitting passes rather that powder-puffing about. A career at the altar of Paul Hurst coming into beautiful fruition at that moment - the tanned gnome must have been so proud. After the initial moment of shock that we had shot ourselves in the foot so horrendously, I looked at Nolan and tried to shout encouragement. He looked like he wanted to cry. This isn’t going to end well.

The second goal was just as bad, it looked like QPR had 4 men waiting to head the ball home. 2-0 down after 34 minutes and game over...and that’s the biggest indictment of Ipswich 2018-19. It was huff, puff and not much else from there, while QPR’s 3rd goal both in terms of the passing and the finish seemed to symbolically show just how far off we are from being a Championship standard side.
The thing is there wasn’t much in the game until Nolan decided to demonstrate on 22:03 - Dec 26 with 1602 viewsSuperfrans

Your point about the 4 men waiting to head the ball occurred to me too.

That’s not about two defenders not being able to win a header, that’s about grown ups all over the team sticking with their man. And, while I liked a lot of what Downs and Chalobah did today, they are simply not experienced enough to do what is required right now.

This experiment with talented kids and up-and-coming lower league gems simply has to end. In January, Lambert needs to bring in 5/6 hairy-asred pros, with 100/200 games at this level (or above) who know how to manage a game and put other teams to the sword.

We need to send back all of our loans - including Trevoh and Pennington. New centre half, new full back, new central midfleider, new offensive midfielder and two strikers. Getting them in quickly enough is one problem.

The other problem is that they all need to be as good as the best in their positions in this division. No messing about.

None of this will be cheap, but Evans is facing a drop in income of £8m next season. Unless we bounce back immediately, you can double that. That’s the scale of the risk he now finds himself with. Investing at that level in January is what is required.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

The thing is there wasn’t much in the game until Nolan decided to demonstrate on 22:29 - Dec 26 with 1526 viewstractorboy1978

The thing is there wasn’t much in the game until Nolan decided to demonstrate on 22:03 - Dec 26 by Superfrans

That’s not about two defenders not being able to win a header, that’s about grown ups all over the team sticking with their man. And, while I liked a lot of what Downs and Chalobah did today, they are simply not experienced enough to do what is required right now.

This experiment with talented kids and up-and-coming lower league gems simply has to end. In January, Lambert needs to bring in 5/6 hairy-asred pros, with 100/200 games at this level (or above) who know how to manage a game and put other teams to the sword.

We need to send back all of our loans - including Trevoh and Pennington. New centre half, new full back, new central midfleider, new offensive midfielder and two strikers. Getting them in quickly enough is one problem.

The other problem is that they all need to be as good as the best in their positions in this division. No messing about.

None of this will be cheap, but Evans is facing a drop in income of £8m next season. Unless we bounce back immediately, you can double that. That’s the scale of the risk he now finds himself with. Investing at that level in January is what is required.

The issue with sending all the loans back is we are bereft of squad depth already (or squad depth I/Lambert it would appear trusts). If Pennington goes and CCV or another comes in then we are still one injury away from Nsiala coming in as our third choice centre half. Senior players have also been equally if not more culpable for errors made and poor performances.

I agree with your general gist, we need some experience and some proven quality. I just don't see us getting enough players in or enough players of the required level if I am honest.
[Post edited 26 Dec 2018 22:35]
The thing is there wasn’t much in the game until Nolan decided to demonstrate on 22:38 - Dec 26 with 1497 viewsSuperfrans

The thing is there wasn’t much in the game until Nolan decided to demonstrate on 22:29 - Dec 26 by tractorboy1978

The issue with sending all the loans back is we are bereft of squad depth already (or squad depth I/Lambert it would appear trusts). If Pennington goes and CCV or another comes in then we are still one injury away from Nsiala coming in as our third choice centre half. Senior players have also been equally if not more culpable for errors made and poor performances.

I agree with your general gist, we need some experience and some proven quality. I just don't see us getting enough players in or enough players of the required level if I am honest.
[Post edited 26 Dec 2018 22:35]

I just don’t think Pennington and Chalobah are of the standard we need. Our requirements now are very different to what they were in August. We can’t carry a kid who hadn’t played a first team pro game before the start of the season, or an average CH with a regular mistake in him. And both of them take up loan berths. We can’t keep them both and bring in better players on loan in their positions.

Also, if we’re still waiting around without making several signings before the Rotherham game, we will have given up already imho.

The thing is there wasn’t much in the game until Nolan decided to demonstrate on 22:41 - Dec 26 with 1485 viewstractorboy1978

The thing is there wasn’t much in the game until Nolan decided to demonstrate on 22:38 - Dec 26 by Superfrans

I just don’t think Pennington and Chalobah are of the standard we need. Our requirements now are very different to what they were in August. We can’t carry a kid who hadn’t played a first team pro game before the start of the season, or an average CH with a regular mistake in him. And both of them take up loan berths. We can’t keep them both and bring in better players on loan in their positions.

Also, if we’re still waiting around without making several signings before the Rotherham game, we will have given up already imho.

I do really hope we can get the required players, I just worry we may see a shuffling of the deckchairs on the Titanic so to speak with loan players. Jenkinson, CC, Bridcutt and Gestede would certainly greatly improve us if we can get all four through the door. We'd then need another couple of top of that.
The thing is there wasn’t much in the game until Nolan decided to demonstrate on 22:52 - Dec 26 with 1446 viewsSuperfrans

The thing is there wasn’t much in the game until Nolan decided to demonstrate on 22:41 - Dec 26 by tractorboy1978

I do really hope we can get the required players, I just worry we may see a shuffling of the deckchairs on the Titanic so to speak with loan players. Jenkinson, CC, Bridcutt and Gestede would certainly greatly improve us if we can get all four through the door. We'd then need another couple of top of that.

Absolutely. It is critical.

I do think it’s not a forlorn hope. For much of his time here, I did often wonder whether Mick took some pride in coping on a low budget and refusing to pay full price for any players. In that way, he was possibly the perfect manager for Evans.

But, when Evans has been pushed to spend more, under Keane and after Hurst came in, he has done so. He was also willing to accept Hurst’s complaints about the pre-season tour, the pre-season fixtures etc.

You just have to hope that Lambert can also lay down the law, demand the players we need, make sure we get them in, whatever the prices may be. There’s no room for prevarication over the next couple of weeks.

The thing is there wasn’t much in the game until Nolan decided to demonstrate on 22:54 - Dec 26 with 1442 viewsRegencyBlue

The thing is there wasn’t much in the game until Nolan decided to demonstrate on 22:03 - Dec 26 by Superfrans

That level of investment is the minimum required to sort this mess!

Will it happen?

Personally I think the noises already coming out of PR suggest not but we are about to find out, one way or the other!
The thing is there wasn’t much in the game until Nolan decided to demonstrate on 22:57 - Dec 26 with 1421 viewsRyorry

The thing is there wasn’t much in the game until Nolan decided to demonstrate on 22:41 - Dec 26 by tractorboy1978

As someone pointed out previously though, how are we now going to attract players of enough experience and quality - who wants to come & fight a relegation battle with a team adrift at the bottom, unless for exceptionally good wages, or game-time which they're not currently getting?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

The thing is there wasn’t much in the game until Nolan decided to demonstrate on 23:02 - Dec 26 with 1392 viewstractorboy1978

The thing is there wasn’t much in the game until Nolan decided to demonstrate on 22:57 - Dec 26 by Ryorry

As someone pointed out previously though, how are we now going to attract players of enough experience and quality - who wants to come & fight a relegation battle with a team adrift at the bottom, unless for exceptionally good wages, or game-time which they're not currently getting?

The four mentioned in my post aren't currently playing games so you'd like to think will want to come and play some football.

I agree with what you are saying in terms of permanent signings but it shouldn't really be any skin off a loan's players nose if we are towards the top or the bottom. They are getting minutes and getting paid their money regardless. Being in our predicament may even help if we are negotiating with clubs like Forest and Boro who will not be keen to loan to a side in the top half of the table and a potential rival.

Whether Evans stumps up the money involved is a different question...
[Post edited 26 Dec 2018 23:04]
Login to get fewer ads

The thing is there wasn’t much in the game until Nolan decided to demonstrate on 23:13 - Dec 26 with 1347 viewsRyorry

The thing is there wasn’t much in the game until Nolan decided to demonstrate on 23:02 - Dec 26 by tractorboy1978

The four mentioned in my post aren't currently playing games so you'd like to think will want to come and play some football.

I agree with what you are saying in terms of permanent signings but it shouldn't really be any skin off a loan's players nose if we are towards the top or the bottom. They are getting minutes and getting paid their money regardless. Being in our predicament may even help if we are negotiating with clubs like Forest and Boro who will not be keen to loan to a side in the top half of the table and a potential rival.

Whether Evans stumps up the money involved is a different question...
[Post edited 26 Dec 2018 23:04]

Fair enough, but the restriction on the number of loanees able to play per league game is a problem for us isn't it? Would require a helluva lotta juggling around, esp if PL wanted to play a settled side.

The money side of things is of course potentially a massive stumbling block, given ME's record, unless our current momentum wakes him up screaming ...

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

The thing is there wasn’t much in the game until Nolan decided to demonstrate on 23:19 - Dec 26 with 1329 viewstractorboy1978

The thing is there wasn’t much in the game until Nolan decided to demonstrate on 23:13 - Dec 26 by Ryorry

Fair enough, but the restriction on the number of loanees able to play per league game is a problem for us isn't it? Would require a helluva lotta juggling around, esp if PL wanted to play a settled side.

The money side of things is of course potentially a massive stumbling block, given ME's record, unless our current momentum wakes him up screaming ...

We only have two loan players that are in the squad under Lambert - Chalobah and Pennington. Graham has gone back, Edun has more or less gone back and Donacien it seems wouldn't play if he was the last defender standing. So we have 3 loan spots. It's not ideal but is workable and as Superfrans has mentioned, PL may well make a decision about Chalobah/Pennington too.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024