Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Time to write off this season now 20:46 - Jan 1 with 1568 viewschristiand

Let PL build a side ready to compete in League One, use the January transfer window for this process and let them start gelling as a side. Trying to get players in for survival now seems a fruitless task in my opinion and a waste of money. We’re down we can’t even beat the poor sides in this league, better to start planning now. It’ll be the first time this club has actually planned properly during ME’s reign!!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Time to write off this season now on 20:52 - Jan 1 with 1532 viewstractorboy1978

Yeah, lets just give up and consign ourselves to relegation with 20 games left.
Time to write off this season now on 20:59 - Jan 1 with 1503 viewsFtnfwest

Agree with that plus I find myself not even having the appetite for what would be a fruitless all out attempt at staying up with yet another group of players. Use what we have to bring in a couple of more experienced players where most needed, loans to begin with if necessary. Get Bart back in and hope he rediscovers a bit of form, then flog him for as much as we can get,
Time to write off this season now on 21:01 - Jan 1 with 1488 viewsHorseboy

Time to write off this season now on 20:52 - Jan 1 by tractorboy1978

Yeah, lets just give up and consign ourselves to relegation with 20 games left.

0.5 points per game required JUST to make up the shortfall, reality is we are relegated, look at the bookie sites and see what they think of the situation?

Of course the reality is there's a chance, but the only chance I see left is no chance, sorry if it's negative, but it's reality.
Time to write off this season now on 21:01 - Jan 1 with 1486 viewsBent_double

I agree.

A few weeks ago, the idea of a couple of really good PL loans costing a combined £30-40k a week would have been my preference, but now I think any money spent in this window should be on permanent signings who should be able to do a job in our L1 promotion push next season.

Knowing our luck, we would fight off all other Champ clubs to get Gestede, pay him £40k a week, then he'd go down injured 1st game in Feb and miss the rest of the season, and someone will have forgotten to put an injury clause in the loan contract...

I would imagine ME is probably thinking along those lines too.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Time to write off this season now on 21:02 - Jan 1 with 1475 viewsMark

I agree, our limited resources now need to be focused on the summer rebuilding job. We need to pick up permanent signings, ideally whose contracts are running out so would be free.
Time to write off this season now on 21:03 - Jan 1 with 1472 viewshoppy

What Lambert has tried to do is change the way we're playing, and for large chunks of today, we were playing some really nice stuff. This has been without being able to bring anyone else in, so working with the existing personnel. They were never going to become world-beaters, but there's been clear progress made within the limited constraints of a lot of their abilities. Others have improved their performances.

Now is definitely the time to supplement that with some seriously needed players, even just for the short term - those with a cutting edge, as with that, we would've been 3-up after 30 minutes or so today. We were looking as though we were freefalling without any grace at all during Hurst's spell in charge. We at least now look as though we're getting the idea a bit more and playing some decent football, just without the goal threat. The gap is getting a bit bigger, so obviously it's going to be a big job, but not impossible with the number of games left.

COYB

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Time to write off this season now on 21:11 - Jan 1 with 1415 viewsHerbivore

Time to write off this season now on 21:03 - Jan 1 by hoppy

What Lambert has tried to do is change the way we're playing, and for large chunks of today, we were playing some really nice stuff. This has been without being able to bring anyone else in, so working with the existing personnel. They were never going to become world-beaters, but there's been clear progress made within the limited constraints of a lot of their abilities. Others have improved their performances.

Now is definitely the time to supplement that with some seriously needed players, even just for the short term - those with a cutting edge, as with that, we would've been 3-up after 30 minutes or so today. We were looking as though we were freefalling without any grace at all during Hurst's spell in charge. We at least now look as though we're getting the idea a bit more and playing some decent football, just without the goal threat. The gap is getting a bit bigger, so obviously it's going to be a big job, but not impossible with the number of games left.

COYB

Added to that, Bolton, Wigan and Reading are in awful form and aside from winning today so are Rotherham. The gap is big but we can't afford to just give up. Plus if we try building a League 1 side now how good is it going to be for that side to get beaten every week and relegated well adrift at the bottom? Not exactly going to be going into next season with much confidence. We need to add some quality and see where it takes us. Our one saving grace is that there are 3 or 4 other really poor sides and whilst we're currently the worst of them the right additions could give us at least a sniff of overhauling them.
[Post edited 1 Jan 2019 21:17]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Time to write off this season now on 21:13 - Jan 1 with 1387 viewsbournemouthblue

I'd certainly be looking at signing players who will be here for more than a couple of months

There's no point cobbling together some mercenaries on the hope they can keep us up

We'll just be back to square one next season

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Login to get fewer ads

Time to write off this season now on 21:46 - Jan 1 with 1297 viewstractorboy1978

Time to write off this season now on 21:13 - Jan 1 by bournemouthblue

I'd certainly be looking at signing players who will be here for more than a couple of months

There's no point cobbling together some mercenaries on the hope they can keep us up

We'll just be back to square one next season

What players are going to want to come here permanently? If the OP had his way, to a club that has given up and resigned itself to L1.
Time to write off this season now on 21:50 - Jan 1 with 1274 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Until today I would have argued against this. After the way we have thrown away the points yet again, I would say unless we have at least 2 fantastic players lined up to join, then you are correct.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Time to write off this season now on 22:32 - Jan 1 with 1146 viewsArnieM

I said weeks ago that if we waited until the Jan window we’d probably be 10points adrift by then and all but down. Why the hell Lamvert/ Evans didn’t bring in a couple of old heads from the unattached players list I shall never know. But it’s all done and dusted now .

We will be League One next year . My wish is that we keep Lambert , and bring our kids through with a sprinkling of older heads amongst them. We could actually have a bloody good season!

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Time to write off this season now on 22:45 - Jan 1 with 1106 viewsBlueBadger

Time to write off this season now on 22:32 - Jan 1 by ArnieM

I said weeks ago that if we waited until the Jan window we’d probably be 10points adrift by then and all but down. Why the hell Lamvert/ Evans didn’t bring in a couple of old heads from the unattached players list I shall never know. But it’s all done and dusted now .

We will be League One next year . My wish is that we keep Lambert , and bring our kids through with a sprinkling of older heads amongst them. We could actually have a bloody good season!

Because those 'old heads from the unattached players list' would be miles off being match fit, needing weeks if not months to get up to speed and still be drawing a wage.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024