Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So this vote of no confidence tomorrow? 21:43 - Jan 15 with 5756 viewsitfcjoe

A formality for May - or any chance she loses and we get a GE?

Does he put a 2nd ref on table at a GE, and tempt likes of Soubry and Clarke to vote against Govt?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

So this vote of no confidence tomorrow? on 21:45 - Jan 15 with 4884 viewswkj

For all the huffing and puffing, I doubt the no confidence vote will be against May. The rebels wanted her out when it was by their terms, they failed. I do not think for a second they will allow this vote to dethrone her by Labour's terms.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

So this vote of no confidence tomorrow? on 21:45 - Jan 15 with 4880 viewsNo9

Waste of time even if she loses she has 14 days to have another go to get a positive result
The FTPA 2011 works very much for minority parties
So this vote of no confidence tomorrow? on 21:47 - Jan 15 with 4861 viewsgtsb

Waste of time....and I'm not talking about our politicians even though they fall into that category too.
So this vote of no confidence tomorrow? on 21:48 - Jan 15 with 4855 viewsPinewoodblue

Suspect a few back benchers on the Tory side will use the debate to issue warnings to May but they won't vote against her. With guaranteed DUP support she will survive.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

So this vote of no confidence tomorrow? on 21:49 - Jan 15 with 4847 viewsNo9

So this vote of no confidence tomorrow? on 21:45 - Jan 15 by No9

Waste of time even if she loses she has 14 days to have another go to get a positive result
The FTPA 2011 works very much for minority parties

I should have said -to protect minority governments that is what the FTPA is there for
So this vote of no confidence tomorrow? on 21:56 - Jan 15 with 4809 viewsjjblue84

It will be interesting to see who wins...the weakest PM in history or Jeremy Corbyn!
So this vote of no confidence tomorrow? on 22:06 - Jan 15 with 4793 viewsGuthrum

Practically, the only chance of losing the MoNC vote is if some (and it would have to be several) in the Conservative Party think they can win a subsequent GE and achieve a working majority in the HoC. That would be hubris of the highest degree, given they aren't hugely popular right now and don't have Corbyn-style cultists to fall back upon. Therefore very unlikely.

The DUP are certainly not going to risk their tenuous hold on the levers of power. If the Tories lose a few seats, then they can't command a majority in the House even with the NI contingent. If they win a few more, they won't need them. That's without the danger of losing their own seats in the Province (where they aren't universally popular, even among Unionists). So they'll back the Conservatives to the hilt on this.

Otherwise, the numbers simply don't add up - unless a number of Tories for some reason fail to turn up and vote, handing a win to Labour and its allies.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

So this vote of no confidence tomorrow? on 22:09 - Jan 15 with 4767 viewsStokieBlue

118 Tories voted against her today.

It's highly likely they will all vote for her tomorrow. Boris was horrified at the prospect of JC being PM. He said he didn't want that at any cost so if even her staunchest opponents will vote for her she should win.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

So this vote of no confidence tomorrow? on 22:09 - Jan 15 with 4767 viewsPinewoodblue

So this vote of no confidence tomorrow? on 22:06 - Jan 15 by Guthrum

Practically, the only chance of losing the MoNC vote is if some (and it would have to be several) in the Conservative Party think they can win a subsequent GE and achieve a working majority in the HoC. That would be hubris of the highest degree, given they aren't hugely popular right now and don't have Corbyn-style cultists to fall back upon. Therefore very unlikely.

The DUP are certainly not going to risk their tenuous hold on the levers of power. If the Tories lose a few seats, then they can't command a majority in the House even with the NI contingent. If they win a few more, they won't need them. That's without the danger of losing their own seats in the Province (where they aren't universally popular, even among Unionists). So they'll back the Conservatives to the hilt on this.

Otherwise, the numbers simply don't add up - unless a number of Tories for some reason fail to turn up and vote, handing a win to Labour and its allies.

Hadn't considered the prospect of abstainers.

2023 year of destiny

So this vote of no confidence tomorrow? on 22:14 - Jan 15 with 4740 viewsChampionship

I reckon there might be more Labour MPs voting in favour of May than Tories in favour of no confidence.

I doubt many Labour MPs fancy another GE campaign under Corbyn, especially now.
So this vote of no confidence tomorrow? on 22:17 - Jan 15 with 4731 viewsChocorange

So this vote of no confidence tomorrow? on 22:09 - Jan 15 by Pinewoodblue

I expect TM to win the vote tomorrow and then it's a case of what happens next.

A no deal Brexit is apparently the fallback position should nothing get voted through by the HofC. This is already the legal position.

The only way to avoid that is for an agreement of what the majority of MPs want to get voted through and then subsequently agreed by the EU... Which based on what we have seen so far and the now much more limited time frame seems unlikely.
So this vote of no confidence tomorrow? on 22:20 - Jan 15 with 4704 viewsPinewoodblue

So this vote of no confidence tomorrow? on 22:14 - Jan 15 by Championship

I reckon there might be more Labour MPs voting in favour of May than Tories in favour of no confidence.

You mean they don't fancy be deselected

2023 year of destiny

So this vote of no confidence tomorrow? on 22:22 - Jan 15 with 4696 viewsGuthrum

So this vote of no confidence tomorrow? on 21:56 - Jan 15 by jjblue84

It will be interesting to see who wins...the weakest PM in history or Jeremy Corbyn!

She isn't the weakest PM in history. That accolade (in the last 100 years or so) probably has to go to poor old Ramsay MacDonald, who was kicked out of his own party and left as a figurehead for a Conservative-dominated National Government which, in the end, broke his health. Not that he was personally weak, far from it. But then neither is Theresa May (or she'd have given up long ago).

Other weak PMs include Jim Callaghan, who inherited a disappearing majority, a disastrous economic position and a plague of industrial disputes, lasting only three years and never winning a General Election.

Also Churchill's second premiership (1951-55), during which he was in extremely poor health.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2019 22:23]

So this vote of no confidence tomorrow? on 22:30 - Jan 15 with 4660 viewsGuthrum

So this vote of no confidence tomorrow? on 22:09 - Jan 15 by Pinewoodblue

I doubt there will be many, this vote is too important.

There were 634 present this evening out of a possible 642 (not counting the Sinn Feinn 7, who do not take up their seats, or the Speaker).

So this vote of no confidence tomorrow? on 22:33 - Jan 15 with 4656 viewsjjblue84

So this vote of no confidence tomorrow? on 22:22 - Jan 15 by Guthrum

She isn't the weakest PM in history. That accolade (in the last 100 years or so) probably has to go to poor old Ramsay MacDonald, who was kicked out of his own party and left as a figurehead for a Conservative-dominated National Government which, in the end, broke his health. Not that he was personally weak, far from it. But then neither is Theresa May (or she'd have given up long ago).

Other weak PMs include Jim Callaghan, who inherited a disappearing majority, a disastrous economic position and a plague of industrial disputes, lasting only three years and never winning a General Election.

Also Churchill's second premiership (1951-55), during which he was in extremely poor health.

No PM has received the thrashing Lame Duck May just got! So let’s see who wins, the worst PM ever to grace the place, or Jeremy ‘Angry’ Corbyn!!
So this vote of no confidence tomorrow? on 22:33 - Jan 15 with 4652 viewswkj

So this vote of no confidence tomorrow? on 22:33 - Jan 15 by jjblue84

No PM has received the thrashing Lame Duck May just got! So let’s see who wins, the worst PM ever to grace the place, or Jeremy ‘Angry’ Corbyn!!

Good point, we should all vote for Vince.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

So this vote of no confidence tomorrow? on 22:34 - Jan 15 with 4648 viewsLord_Lucan

May will not lose, and in any case, JC has some front as he himself seems to ignore losing votes of confidence.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

So this vote of no confidence tomorrow? on 22:35 - Jan 15 with 4634 viewsfactual_blue

So this vote of no confidence tomorrow? on 22:22 - Jan 15 by Guthrum

And, of course, the office of Prime Minister didn't legally exist until 1909 and the Ministers Of The Crown (Salaries) Act.

The term was in use since at least the 1720s, initially as a term of, if not abuse, then certainly disparagement.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

So this vote of no confidence tomorrow? on 22:36 - Jan 15 with 4638 viewslowhouseblue

what I don't understand is why corbyn would vote for a general election in which he will either have to fight on a pro brexit or a pro remain platform. either of which will be suicidal. so I assume he'll vote against the no confidence motion?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

So this vote of no confidence tomorrow? on 22:37 - Jan 15 with 4625 viewsfactual_blue

So this vote of no confidence tomorrow? on 22:14 - Jan 15 by Championship

Doing so would guarantee their deselection.

So this vote of no confidence tomorrow? on 22:38 - Jan 15 with 4622 viewsfactual_blue

So this vote of no confidence tomorrow? on 22:33 - Jan 15 by jjblue84

I don't think voting for the Marquess of Bute is a possibility tomorrow.

So this vote of no confidence tomorrow? on 22:44 - Jan 15 with 4606 viewsLord_Lucan

So this vote of no confidence tomorrow? on 21:56 - Jan 15 by jjblue84

Auntie May is anything but weak. I am not her greatest fan but she inherited an impossible situation and appears to show no sign of resigning.

I wouldn't call her weak at all.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

So this vote of no confidence tomorrow? on 22:44 - Jan 15 with 4610 viewsGuthrum

So this vote of no confidence tomorrow? on 22:36 - Jan 15 by lowhouseblue

what I don't understand is why corbyn would vote for a general election in which he will either have to fight on a pro brexit or a pro remain platform. either of which will be suicidal. so I assume he'll vote against the no confidence motion?

The Labour manifesto will contain platitudes about some kind of idealised semi-Brexit into which people can read what they will.

The Conservative one will be similar, but in the opposite direction, breathing rhetorical fire and fury against the EU, while proposing something quite mild.

The LibDems will be more honest, but less realistic.

The Greens will be entertaining and different. Very.

The SNP, PC, DUP, SF, etc. ones will be irrelevant unless you happen to live in one of their regions.

Almost nobody will be interested in UKIP, the way it's gone over the last couple of years.

So this vote of no confidence tomorrow? on 22:47 - Jan 15 with 4590 viewsgtsb

So this vote of no confidence tomorrow? on 22:44 - Jan 15 by Lord_Lucan

Auntie May is anything but weak. I am not her greatest fan but she inherited an impossible situation and appears to show no sign of resigning.

I wouldn't call her weak at all.

I'd call her lucky. If there was a credible opposition leader she'd be long gone.
So this vote of no confidence tomorrow? on 22:47 - Jan 15 with 4596 viewsLord_Lucan

So this vote of no confidence tomorrow? on 22:44 - Jan 15 by Guthrum

The Labour manifesto will contain platitudes about some kind of idealised semi-Brexit into which people can read what they will.

The Conservative one will be similar, but in the opposite direction, breathing rhetorical fire and fury against the EU, while proposing something quite mild.

The LibDems will be more honest, but less realistic.

The Greens will be entertaining and different. Very.

The SNP, PC, DUP, SF, etc. ones will be irrelevant unless you happen to live in one of their regions.

Almost nobody will be interested in UKIP, the way it's gone over the last couple of years.

Everyone in the country had a chance to overturn BREXIT at the last general election by voting Lib Dem.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024