Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The art of boring people into submission 10:20 - Jan 17 with 4594 viewscaught-in-limbo

Having lived in Spain for close to 20 years I've seen Spanish politicians practise the fine art of boring the electorate into submission first hand.

Politically, the most exciting thing which has happened in Spanish politics since the failed coup attempt in 1981 (History fans watch here: ), is probably 15M (May 15 2011) and the rise of "Los Indignados".

Normal Spaniards actually started getting interested in politics. Now though, all that passion has been beaten out of everyone (by a 2 year long process of trying to elect a new government) and now the politicians are just left to do as they please while the weary population gets on with trying to live a little.

And perhaps we've reached that saturation point in Britain too.

I LOLed as I heard Teresa May say last night that she's going to press on and deliver Brexit for the people. It's nonsense. There'll be no Norway model. No Brexit. Nothing.

The Government's hardest task was always going to be getting over the fact that not delivering Brexit would look a bit well, you know, undemocratic.

It's clear to me that the plan for a while has been for the Government to tap into this demand for democracy. But not the democracy connected to delivering Brexit, no, what's needed is street-level democracy, one that comes from the people and is not tarred by duplicitous politicians, the sort of Democracy that is British, one that builds empires and has tea and scones. Yes the people of Britain (even Brexiteers) are going to beg Mrs May to stop and put the country out of its misery. The poor thing is going go against her democratic instincts and have another referendum to reverse the decision made in 2016. She'll play the part well, and most will respect her principles if not her ability as a PM.

So it'll be 1:1, so let's have a third?

Nope, that won't happen. The next referendum has to be decisive, we're talking nearly 2/3rds majority - to make it "much more democratic" than the original democratic election.

So, we're in for the long haul. Expect all manner of lovely pro-European stories in the press in the coming months to bring it on.

Enjoy the show.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

The art of boring people into submission on 11:16 - Jan 17 with 3672 viewsblueislander

I was living in Madrid at the time of the failed coup. I had just left work at about 7pm and was waiting for a bus on La Castellana when police and Guadia Civil vehicles went screaming down towards the centre. When I got home I put the TV on and there was a blank screen .We had a young family and we just got on with our lives, and I didn’t find out what had happened till the next morning. Our families in the UK knew what was going on, but international phone lines had been cut.
The art of boring people into submission on 12:07 - Jan 17 with 3610 viewsHerbivore

You don't know much about the British press do you?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The art of boring people into submission on 16:06 - Jan 17 with 3547 viewscaught-in-limbo

The art of boring people into submission on 12:07 - Jan 17 by Herbivore

You don't know much about the British press do you?

I don't know. Perhaps you can tell me what it is you think I don't know, so I can tell you if I knew it or not.

EDIT
After that, I'll tell you whether not knowing what you know has any bearing on my initial post.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2019 16:16]

#toxic

The art of boring people into submission on 16:08 - Jan 17 with 3542 viewsSwansea_Blue

Otherwise known as the Mick McCarthy principle.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The art of boring people into submission on 16:17 - Jan 17 with 3521 viewsNo9

I don't think you are up to speed on what is happening in the UK commercially
The art of boring people into submission on 16:22 - Jan 17 with 3517 viewscaught-in-limbo

The art of boring people into submission on 16:08 - Jan 17 by Swansea_Blue

Otherwise known as the Mick McCarthy principle.

I'd say it was more of a Mick McCarthy "effect" than a "principle". Of course, the flip side of this is known as the Be Careful What You Wish For principle/effect.

#toxic

The art of boring people into submission on 16:23 - Jan 17 with 3509 viewscaught-in-limbo

The art of boring people into submission on 16:17 - Jan 17 by No9

I don't think you are up to speed on what is happening in the UK commercially

That's quite possibly true. But how does that change what I have written in my OP?
[Post edited 17 Jan 2019 16:29]

#toxic

The art of boring people into submission on 17:29 - Jan 17 with 3461 viewsgiant_stow

The art of boring people into submission on 11:16 - Jan 17 by blueislander

I was living in Madrid at the time of the failed coup. I had just left work at about 7pm and was waiting for a bus on La Castellana when police and Guadia Civil vehicles went screaming down towards the centre. When I got home I put the TV on and there was a blank screen .We had a young family and we just got on with our lives, and I didn’t find out what had happened till the next morning. Our families in the UK knew what was going on, but international phone lines had been cut.

well I found that interesting at least, mr Islander.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Login to get fewer ads

The art of boring people into submission on 18:25 - Jan 17 with 3423 viewsblueislander

The art of boring people into submission on 17:29 - Jan 17 by giant_stow

well I found that interesting at least, mr Islander.

Cheers mate. You are one in a million.
The art of boring people into submission on 18:47 - Jan 17 with 3412 viewsHerbivore

The art of boring people into submission on 16:06 - Jan 17 by caught-in-limbo

I don't know. Perhaps you can tell me what it is you think I don't know, so I can tell you if I knew it or not.

EDIT
After that, I'll tell you whether not knowing what you know has any bearing on my initial post.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2019 16:16]

The notion that our Euorskeptic press is going to now start publishing pro-Europe stories is somewhat fanciful.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2019 18:48]

The art of boring people into submission on 19:01 - Jan 17 with 3396 viewsSwansea_Blue

The art of boring people into submission on 16:22 - Jan 17 by caught-in-limbo

I'd say it was more of a Mick McCarthy "effect" than a "principle". Of course, the flip side of this is known as the Be Careful What You Wish For principle/effect.

Very true, lazy phrasing on my part.

Living in Spain must be very exciting. I used to work with a Spanish lass who had a habit of driving down a dual carriageway at 95mph whilst turned to remonstrate with her passengers in the back seat, wildly gesticulating with both hands. Certainly spiced up many a work trip. And based on my trips to Spain, that seems quite normal.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The art of boring people into submission on 19:12 - Jan 17 with 3387 viewsLord_Lucan

I haven't got the energy to comment on the nuts of the post as I've had a bad day but I just flicked on here and saw this.

I remember seeing the failed coup on News at Ten with Reginald Bosanquet (or was it Anna Ford by then)

Shocking stuff, although Spain hadn't long come out of a dictatorship.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

The art of boring people into submission on 19:49 - Jan 17 with 3359 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The art of boring people into submission on 19:12 - Jan 17 by Lord_Lucan

I haven't got the energy to comment on the nuts of the post as I've had a bad day but I just flicked on here and saw this.

I remember seeing the failed coup on News at Ten with Reginald Bosanquet (or was it Anna Ford by then)

Shocking stuff, although Spain hadn't long come out of a dictatorship.

I had no idea that Reginsld had a sex change.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

The art of boring people into submission on 20:49 - Jan 17 with 3320 viewscaught-in-limbo

The art of boring people into submission on 18:47 - Jan 17 by Herbivore

The notion that our Euorskeptic press is going to now start publishing pro-Europe stories is somewhat fanciful.

And there was me thinking the BBC was pro Europe.

#toxic

The art of boring people into submission on 20:54 - Jan 17 with 3308 viewsHerbivore

The art of boring people into submission on 20:49 - Jan 17 by caught-in-limbo

And there was me thinking the BBC was pro Europe.

You thought wrong.

The art of boring people into submission on 20:56 - Jan 17 with 3300 viewscaught-in-limbo

The art of boring people into submission on 11:16 - Jan 17 by blueislander

A similar thing happened with the Madrid bombings in 2004. It was just pre election and the PP were the government in power and expected to win again. They declared that it was an ETA attack and instructed their embassies around the world to say as much. Sceptical of the official line, the people of Spain turned to the internet to hear foreign news agencies reporting it was Al Qaida. PSOE won the election on the back of that.

#toxic

The art of boring people into submission on 21:01 - Jan 17 with 3291 viewsVic

The art of boring people into submission on 18:25 - Jan 17 by blueislander

Cheers mate. You are one in a million.

You think there are that many reading this?

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

The art of boring people into submission on 21:22 - Jan 17 with 3258 viewscaught-in-limbo

The art of boring people into submission on 20:54 - Jan 17 by Herbivore

You thought wrong.

Well, according to this YouGov study data from 2018, of those believing the BBC to be biased one way or the other, you're wrong. For every 8 people who believe the BBC is pro-Brexit, there are 27 who think they are anti-Brexit.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/s8s93cmvos/Intern

#toxic

The art of boring people into submission on 21:28 - Jan 17 with 3245 viewscaught-in-limbo

The art of boring people into submission on 18:47 - Jan 17 by Herbivore

EVERYBODY else on this forum who bothered to voice an opinion thought I was being fanciful when I maintained DIRECTLY after the referendum that Brexit would never happen. Of course, some people are starting to say it was obvious in retrospect.

#toxic

The art of boring people into submission on 21:31 - Jan 17 with 3238 viewsHerbivore

The art of boring people into submission on 21:22 - Jan 17 by caught-in-limbo

Well, according to this YouGov study data from 2018, of those believing the BBC to be biased one way or the other, you're wrong. For every 8 people who believe the BBC is pro-Brexit, there are 27 who think they are anti-Brexit.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/s8s93cmvos/Intern

And? I thought you prided yourself on not slavishly following the herd? Your bias is showing.

The art of boring people into submission on 21:32 - Jan 17 with 3236 viewscaught-in-limbo

The art of boring people into submission on 21:01 - Jan 17 by Vic

You think there are that many reading this?

Given my successful history of Brexit-related def-info, I'd like to think one million is a conservative estimate.

#toxic

The art of boring people into submission on 21:33 - Jan 17 with 3227 viewsHerbivore

The art of boring people into submission on 21:28 - Jan 17 by caught-in-limbo

EVERYBODY else on this forum who bothered to voice an opinion thought I was being fanciful when I maintained DIRECTLY after the referendum that Brexit would never happen. Of course, some people are starting to say it was obvious in retrospect.

I must have missed Brexit being called off. Good news.

The art of boring people into submission on 21:40 - Jan 17 with 3216 viewscaught-in-limbo

The art of boring people into submission on 21:31 - Jan 17 by Herbivore

And? I thought you prided yourself on not slavishly following the herd? Your bias is showing.

You thought wrong.

I endeavour to be right irrespective of what the herd thinks.

#toxic

The art of boring people into submission on 21:48 - Jan 17 with 3205 viewscaught-in-limbo

The art of boring people into submission on 21:33 - Jan 17 by Herbivore

I must have missed Brexit being called off. Good news.

It hasn't.
You seem more focused on trying to find fault in what I say rather than on what I'm actually saying.

#toxic

The art of boring people into submission on 21:57 - Jan 17 with 3177 viewsjjblue84

There’s more people interested in politics now than for a long while... the politicians have been useless for years, it’s only now that everyone has noticed!!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024