Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Redundacy help 12:17 - Jan 18 with 1484 viewsBullardsMagicMullet

I just wondered if anybody could give any guidance of the things to ask that could help during my first redundancy consultation.

The company I work for were taken over by a Welsh equivalent company and my role is going from 3 people to 1, I am 40 and have worked for 14 years doing my current role for 12 years.

Never been is this situation before and thought the good folk of TWTD might be able to give some great pointers and advice.

Flounce when ITFC lose, flounce about brexit and flounce about Trump.
Poll: What ITFC Podcast do you prefer?

Redundacy help on 12:21 - Jan 18 with 1452 viewsBurwell_Blue

Guidance with what part exactly?

I was made redundant a couple of years ago after 16 years. It was like a dream come true.
Redundacy help on 12:29 - Jan 18 with 1412 viewsuefacup81

Based on what you've said, your statutory payment would equate to 14 weeks' pay at the moment. If they hold off until you hit 41, it'll be 21 weeks' pay (both scenarios capped at £508 per week).

I'd imagine, with your length of service, you'd easily hit the cap, so you're looking at a payout of £7,112 or £10,668. Those sums would be tax-free as well.

How does your experience compare to the rest of the department? If you're one of the most experienced bods in the role, chances are you'll be towards the bottom of the list if they're doing it all by the book.

There's a good guide to your rights here:

https://www.gov.uk/redundant-your-rights

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Redundacy help on 12:31 - Jan 18 with 1400 viewsCoco

Redundacy help on 12:29 - Jan 18 by uefacup81

Based on what you've said, your statutory payment would equate to 14 weeks' pay at the moment. If they hold off until you hit 41, it'll be 21 weeks' pay (both scenarios capped at £508 per week).

I'd imagine, with your length of service, you'd easily hit the cap, so you're looking at a payout of £7,112 or £10,668. Those sums would be tax-free as well.

How does your experience compare to the rest of the department? If you're one of the most experienced bods in the role, chances are you'll be towards the bottom of the list if they're doing it all by the book.

There's a good guide to your rights here:

https://www.gov.uk/redundant-your-rights

Why is it statutory?

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Redundacy help on 12:33 - Jan 18 with 1393 viewsuefacup81

Redundacy help on 12:31 - Jan 18 by Coco

Why is it statutory?

How do you mean?

The statutory payment is the government-mandated minimum for anyone who has been employed by the company for two years or more. The company could always make a more generous offer of settlement if they choose to.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Redundacy help on 12:41 - Jan 18 with 1361 viewsCoco

Redundacy help on 12:33 - Jan 18 by uefacup81

How do you mean?

The statutory payment is the government-mandated minimum for anyone who has been employed by the company for two years or more. The company could always make a more generous offer of settlement if they choose to.

Oh i just assumed if redundancy wasn’t because of liquidation they had to pay out salary. Naive.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Redundacy help on 12:42 - Jan 18 with 1361 viewsBrixtonBlue

Likewise with Burwell, it was a blessing in disguise for me. The redundancy pay allowed me to have a lovely big break and I'm now in a place with much nicer people, less stress and double the money!

So don't fear it... sometimes it's the best thing to break you out of your comfort zone.

Also, sign up for Universal Credit. It's a pain in the arris but worth it when you've jumped through the last hoop. Most of it you can do online.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Redundacy help on 12:44 - Jan 18 with 1357 viewsBasuco

First thing is to take a look at your original contract of employment as there may be something written there and your original employer may have had better terms of redundancy.
Redundacy help on 12:46 - Jan 18 with 1349 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I was made redundant c.6 months ago. It all depends on how your employer has approached it;

My employer thought they were clever and didn't insult HR about the process. Consequently, I f*cked them over. My advice would be;

1. Take good HR advice. I was quite lucky as I know some senior HR professionals.
2. If they have got the any of the process wrong... don't tell them immediately. Give them lots of rope to hang themselves with.
3. Appoint a good solicitor. I played solicitor top trumps with my employer, and I won.
4. Use the threat of tribunal if you need to, let them know you are prepared to go down that route. I didnt go to tribunal, but I was prepared to if I didnt get what I wanted.
5. Treat them with the respect they treat you, if they dont respect you, there is no reason you should respect them.
6. Your 'boss' is no longer your boss. By that I mean, dont be intimidated by them. When I asked about my options my boss said "dont go making this difficult". That was his biggest mistake.

Hopefully your employer has done everything right and treated you correctly, if so, a lot of the above wont apply.

Most importantly, its not the end of the world. I was able to set up on my own and use a lot of my contacts as clients and its worked out for the better.

It might seem bad now, but in 6 months time you'll be fine. Redundancy is an occupational hazard these days.

....key bit of advice.... tell as many people as possible!! You never know where that next opportunity may come from.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Login to get fewer ads

Redundacy help on 12:58 - Jan 18 with 1295 viewsBrixtonBlue

Redundacy help on 12:46 - Jan 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

I was made redundant c.6 months ago. It all depends on how your employer has approached it;

My employer thought they were clever and didn't insult HR about the process. Consequently, I f*cked them over. My advice would be;

1. Take good HR advice. I was quite lucky as I know some senior HR professionals.
2. If they have got the any of the process wrong... don't tell them immediately. Give them lots of rope to hang themselves with.
3. Appoint a good solicitor. I played solicitor top trumps with my employer, and I won.
4. Use the threat of tribunal if you need to, let them know you are prepared to go down that route. I didnt go to tribunal, but I was prepared to if I didnt get what I wanted.
5. Treat them with the respect they treat you, if they dont respect you, there is no reason you should respect them.
6. Your 'boss' is no longer your boss. By that I mean, dont be intimidated by them. When I asked about my options my boss said "dont go making this difficult". That was his biggest mistake.

Hopefully your employer has done everything right and treated you correctly, if so, a lot of the above wont apply.

Most importantly, its not the end of the world. I was able to set up on my own and use a lot of my contacts as clients and its worked out for the better.

It might seem bad now, but in 6 months time you'll be fine. Redundancy is an occupational hazard these days.

....key bit of advice.... tell as many people as possible!! You never know where that next opportunity may come from.

Further to your last bit of advice - I'd advise thinking laterally about getting yourself noticed again. For example, I wrote an article (for free) for the industry magazine. It was well received and led to lots of leads.

Depends on ones industry, but I'd imagine most industries have different ways of approaching things other than the 'firing off loads of emails' route.

Having said that, fire off loads of emails. And re-email people...they might've been busy last time (or not looking to hire... but then suddenly are).

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Redundacy help on 13:07 - Jan 18 with 1266 viewsbluefunk

Lots of good advice here on your rights and entitlements, it’s happened to me 3 times, and the bast advice I can give is to talk to as many people as possible about what has happened to you, don’t moan about it, just say you’re really keen to get back into a job and do they know anyone who might need someone with your skills. Be positive and confident, even if you don’t really feel it, you might find that this works out better than you fear, as it did for me and others on this thread

Good luck
Redundacy help on 13:22 - Jan 18 with 1228 viewsdavblue

Take notes with you that are prepared from the night before and take notes also, there's alot of information to take in and there's the emotion of it all.

Ask questions and don't necessarily just take what they offer you if it get's to that point.

I was in the same position 2 years ago, where our team was going from 3 to 2 but i also had to transfer to London as part of the role rejig.
Redundacy help on 13:26 - Jan 18 with 1209 viewsMalcolmBlue

Sorry to hear that, it's never a fun feeling before it happens. But for me, like most people who have replied it was the best thing that ever happened. I was made redundant from my first job after the company was taken over. As it was my first ever job I was nervous about what would happen next as I had no really experience of looking for jobs and I was in that role for 3 years.

But looking back it was great (in actual fact I would go as far as saying it was the highlight of my career so far), I was able to take 3 months off, I went on 3 holidays in that time and then when I had to face reality again I fortunately found a better role afterwards.

5 years on from that point it's still the highlight of my career! Enjoy the time of and don't rush into your next job would be my advice, make sure you pick the right role and the right company.

Good luck with it all, although I'm sure your experience and the loyalty you have demonstrated by staying there for 14 years will serve you well.

Poll: Is Theresa May the "Paul Hurst" of politics?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024