Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Players that fell from grace 13:19 - Jan 19 with 3962 viewswkj

It isn't terribly uncommon to see players fail to live up to their potential despite promising shows in youth teams, even internationals, though there are some that just seem to fall so far from grace it is hard to fathom.

For me my choice here has to be Scott Loach. He wasn't an amazing goalie for us, but I am surprised to see he has slumped all the way down to National league status with Hartlepool. Was he really that bad or has he just continued to decline?

Consider this, Loach was part of the 2009 U21 Euro final.

Look at some of those names, it has to be said there are more names on the left that made it to top clubs than those on the right. Although Loach let 4 goals in, he was a key part of some good performances leading to the final.

Other names of note here are Jack Rodwell, who went on to have a lucrative career in robbery up in Sunderland, and Joe Lewis as the GK sub who managed to stay somewhat competitive in Aberdeen.

Funny ol' game.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2019 13:21]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Players that fell from grace on 13:22 - Jan 19 with 3923 viewsfooters

That German goalie never amounted to much either, if that's any comfort.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Players that fell from grace on 13:24 - Jan 19 with 3906 viewsWD19

I would suspect that practically everyone on the right considers that they ‘made it’. Therin lays part of the problem I would suggest.
Players that fell from grace on 13:24 - Jan 19 with 3899 viewswkj

Players that fell from grace on 13:22 - Jan 19 by footers

That German goalie never amounted to much either, if that's any comfort.

Quite, I hadn't heard of him until today.

Crybaby

Players that fell from grace on 13:28 - Jan 19 with 3864 viewsSuperblue95

He fared off better than one member of that England team

Edit: Make that 2 of them actually
[Post edited 19 Jan 2019 13:31]

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Players that fell from grace on 14:04 - Jan 19 with 3717 viewsAshFinland

By the time Scott Loach arrived here his confidence was shot to bits and this was very much reflected in his performances. That said, I’d suggest that Adam Johnson’s fall from grace was ever so slightly steeper!

"Ridicule is nothing to be scared of."

Players that fell from grace on 14:10 - Jan 19 with 3684 viewswkj

Players that fell from grace on 14:04 - Jan 19 by AshFinland

By the time Scott Loach arrived here his confidence was shot to bits and this was very much reflected in his performances. That said, I’d suggest that Adam Johnson’s fall from grace was ever so slightly steeper!

Quite, I didnt mention Johnson merely as his fall was due to being a disgusting nonce rather than becoming crap at footie, you are quite right though.

Crybaby

Players that fell from grace on 14:26 - Jan 19 with 3601 viewsTractorboy24

Massive difference from left to right, although I thought Hart was our keeper in that tournament, only missing out on the final through suspension?

Still would only make 3 relative successes in the England side (Milner & Walcott being the other 2).
Players that fell from grace on 14:28 - Jan 19 with 3589 viewsThe_Major

Happens at club level as well though. There's occasions when we've seen storming debuts, and then they never live up to the hype thereafter.

I remember thinking we'd uncovered the new Garrincha during a hattrick scored against Watford in the ZDS by, er, David Gregory.
Login to get fewer ads

Players that fell from grace on 14:47 - Jan 19 with 3510 viewsHipsterectomy

Pablo once tore apart an England U-21 team which included JT, Gareth Barry etc. Playing with the likes of Xavi and Casillas.

JET was the star player and captain of Arsenal under 18s at one point.

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Players that fell from grace on 14:49 - Jan 19 with 3498 viewswkj

Players that fell from grace on 14:47 - Jan 19 by Hipsterectomy

Pablo once tore apart an England U-21 team which included JT, Gareth Barry etc. Playing with the likes of Xavi and Casillas.

JET was the star player and captain of Arsenal under 18s at one point.

Jet is another curious one isn't he - I think his problems were all in the noggin as the lad clearly had some natural talent- i just don't think he pushed himself to reach it.

Interestingly he is now playing for a Thai division 2 club.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2019 14:50]

Crybaby

Players that fell from grace on 14:52 - Jan 19 with 3482 viewsDyland

Players that fell from grace on 14:49 - Jan 19 by wkj

Jet is another curious one isn't he - I think his problems were all in the noggin as the lad clearly had some natural talent- i just don't think he pushed himself to reach it.

Jet was a five aside beach player. Technically as good as it gets, but bizarrely clueless about team tactics and game management.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Players that fell from grace on 14:59 - Jan 19 with 3457 viewsmonty_radio

O' Callaghan (Bobby's "one for the future" that never quite arrived).

Brennan

Haynes

These are three who sort of made it, but the promise seemed much more. Every club is littered with them, especially those who bang in goals for fun at youth level, then don't seem to recognise a goal frame when they step up. Hope that Ben Morris turns out better than that.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Players that fell from grace on 15:07 - Jan 19 with 3432 viewsParisBlue

Players that fell from grace on 14:59 - Jan 19 by monty_radio

Brennan

Haynes

These are three who sort of made it, but the promise seemed much more. Every club is littered with them, especially those who bang in goals for fun at youth level, then don't seem to recognise a goal frame when they step up. Hope that Ben Morris turns out better than that.

Tony Vaughan

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Players that fell from grace on 15:17 - Jan 19 with 3398 viewsWD19

Players that fell from grace on 14:49 - Jan 19 by wkj

10 professional clubs by the age of 28....and only one of them has ever paid money for him.
Players that fell from grace on 16:05 - Jan 19 with 3254 viewsHerbivore

Players that fell from grace on 14:52 - Jan 19 by Dyland

Jet was a five aside beach player. Technically as good as it gets, but bizarrely clueless about team tactics and game management.

Think it didn't help him that, even at youth level, he never really nailed down a position so he just didn't really seem to know how to play an actual role in an actual team.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Players that fell from grace on 14:29 - Jan 20 with 3056 viewswkj

Players that fell from grace on 16:05 - Jan 19 by Herbivore

Think it didn't help him that, even at youth level, he never really nailed down a position so he just didn't really seem to know how to play an actual role in an actual team.

Probably didnt do him any favours, shame really, definitely had the potentiall to be one hell of a player

Crybaby

Players that fell from grace on 14:31 - Jan 20 with 3050 viewsHerbivore

Players that fell from grace on 14:29 - Jan 20 by wkj

Probably didnt do him any favours, shame really, definitely had the potentiall to be one hell of a player

The JET of West Ham at home when we done them 5-2 was different class. Bags of talent but just lacking in the ability to find any king of consistency.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Players that fell from grace on 17:32 - Jan 20 with 2960 viewsCoastalblue

Players that fell from grace on 14:31 - Jan 20 by Herbivore

The JET of West Ham at home when we done them 5-2 was different class. Bags of talent but just lacking in the ability to find any king of consistency.

There was often 10 minutes in a match, total not consecutive minutes, when JET looked like he had it all and was worth the entrance money alone.

I think as stated above, he had the natural talent but not the instinct or mental side of the game. I still loved watching him at times.

I also give you Stuart Slater, not JET levels of disapointment but he looked like he would be a world beater early in his career, and even when Lyall brought him here I was seriously excited.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Players that fell from grace on 17:51 - Jan 20 with 2928 viewsfabian_illness

Scott gave up on football as a kid, just ran out of interest for it.
He started again when the family moved back to the midlands.
I would suggest he just ran out of interest again but it pays his bills.
His Dad was a decent keeper too, understudy to Peter Shilton at Forest and also went to a derby for a while.
Players that fell from grace on 18:14 - Jan 20 with 2889 viewsTractorCam

Had to google Andrew Driver, free agent centre mid and only 31, sign him up!

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Players that fell from grace on 20:23 - Jan 20 with 2797 viewsazuremerlangus

Kevin Reeves

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Players that fell from grace on 20:36 - Jan 20 with 2760 viewsbournemouthblue

Players that fell from grace on 14:59 - Jan 19 by monty_radio

Brennan

Haynes

Unfortunately we have had two who have banged goals in at youth level and senior level in Marriot and Rhodes and not reaped the benefits

I suppose Morris is the next great hope although Folami and Lankester could both be decent as well

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024