Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fantastic interview. 12:19 - Jan 23 with 4968 viewsMrTown

Speaks the truth.

Have said whilst I don’t agree with pricing structure, the majority of transfer business this window has been good, a good appointment long term in Lambert, match day deals etc.

Could do a lot worse with owners.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Fantastic interview. on 12:28 - Jan 23 with 4490 viewsdavblue

He’s by no means the worst owner we could have but he needs to start making better football decisions, that’s always been my overriding issue with him as an owner.
Fantastic interview. on 12:53 - Jan 23 with 4410 viewsGerkensBeard

Fantastic interview. on 12:28 - Jan 23 by davblue

He’s by no means the worst owner we could have but he needs to start making better football decisions, that’s always been my overriding issue with him as an owner.

I agree,

It’s clear to me Marcus and Paul have accepted relegation and are eyeing next season in league 1. He speaks about the money needed to make us competitive at this level and simply we needed to invest a lot of money into the squad to stay up. It’s been a (one eye on if we go down) approach in this window rather than doing everything we can to stay up.
Which frustrates me as it’s really not impossible. That’s why I believe it was announced so early that Lambert will be here no matter what so we have clarity who will be here next season if we go down.
The signings we have made are also examples of a trial period for these loanees as I believe we will almost certainly enter negotiations with Will Keane if we go down. He’s out of contract in the summer and I see this as working with the player to get him ready for next season.
Fantastic interview. on 12:57 - Jan 23 with 4389 viewsSuperblue95

Fantastic interview. on 12:53 - Jan 23 by GerkensBeard

I agree,

It’s clear to me Marcus and Paul have accepted relegation and are eyeing next season in league 1. He speaks about the money needed to make us competitive at this level and simply we needed to invest a lot of money into the squad to stay up. It’s been a (one eye on if we go down) approach in this window rather than doing everything we can to stay up.
Which frustrates me as it’s really not impossible. That’s why I believe it was announced so early that Lambert will be here no matter what so we have clarity who will be here next season if we go down.
The signings we have made are also examples of a trial period for these loanees as I believe we will almost certainly enter negotiations with Will Keane if we go down. He’s out of contract in the summer and I see this as working with the player to get him ready for next season.

What would be the point in splashing millions in this window? Very rarely is any good business done in January and it’d just put us further up sh1ts creek next season if we were to go down
[Post edited 23 Jan 2019 13:02]

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Fantastic interview. on 13:00 - Jan 23 with 4362 viewsHerbivore

Hello my friend, I write you as most humble servant of Prince Geoffrey of Nigeria. I have most excellent proposal for wonderful gent such as you. My prince wish to transfer £10,000,000 into UK and he will give you 10% for helping with the transfer. First I need £5000 fee from you to show you genuine man and to arrange transfer. Please send money by Western Union transfer.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Fantastic interview. on 13:02 - Jan 23 with 4350 viewsGerkensBeard

Fantastic interview. on 12:57 - Jan 23 by Superblue95

What would be the point in splashing millions in this window? Very rarely is any good business done in January and it’d just put us further up sh1ts creek next season if we were to go down
[Post edited 23 Jan 2019 13:02]

I’m not talking about splashing millions. I’m talking about bringing in top championship squad players on loan rather than the midtable level players we’ve bought in.
Fantastic interview. on 13:02 - Jan 23 with 4349 viewsOxford_Blue

Doesn’t the manager make the football decisions?
Fantastic interview. on 13:04 - Jan 23 with 4334 viewsHerbivore

Fantastic interview. on 13:02 - Jan 23 by GerkensBeard

I’m not talking about splashing millions. I’m talking about bringing in top championship squad players on loan rather than the midtable level players we’ve bought in.

Such as?

Fantastic interview. on 13:08 - Jan 23 with 4299 viewsGerkensBeard

Fantastic interview. on 13:04 - Jan 23 by Herbivore

Such as?

What’s the point in naming players? We’ve done our business now.
Login to get fewer ads

Fantastic interview. on 13:15 - Jan 23 with 4260 viewsHerbivore

Fantastic interview. on 13:08 - Jan 23 by GerkensBeard

What’s the point in naming players? We’ve done our business now.

Righto.

Fantastic interview. on 13:24 - Jan 23 with 4214 viewsdavblue

Fantastic interview. on 13:02 - Jan 23 by Oxford_Blue

Doesn’t the manager make the football decisions?

last time i checked he appointed managers, unless managers appoint themselves nowadays?

Choosing a manager is a football decision by the owner.
Fantastic interview. on 13:27 - Jan 23 with 4204 viewsgood_at_COD

"I think we have done some good business in this window with players who can make an immediate impact."

Fantastic interview? You are very easy to please.
He says the club is not for sale then goes on to say that, actually, it is.

More spin like we've heard from Lambert. To sum up, the blind leading the blind.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2019 13:29]

Giggsy

Fantastic interview. on 13:38 - Jan 23 with 4166 viewsSuperfrans

This is a bit of red herring, in my book. What footballing decision (that he is in control of) has he made incorrectly, apart from appointing Hurst (which the vast majority of us fans supported)?

If he sacked our manager every 6 months, interfered with footballing decisions, made statements about our footballing performances all the time, I'd get it. But he doesn't.

The issue I have with Evans is that it remains unclear whether all of the proceeds from our transfer outgoings are re-invested. Mick suggested they weren't in relation to Tyrone leaving, he said he didn't even have a budget.

And I don't buy this argument that we can be competitive in the future because we sneaked into the play-offs once under Mick, with the highest scoring striker in 50 years leading the line, and even then weren't really competitive in the play-offs. fact is, while we're in the Championship, we're waiting for a miracle to turn up - or a blue moon...

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Fantastic interview. on 13:48 - Jan 23 with 4129 viewsBurwell_Blue

Quoting Sir Bobby "back the manager 100%"

So Marcus is wrong, Sir Bobby is wrong and most of the supporters of the club are wrong?
Fantastic interview. on 13:54 - Jan 23 with 4106 viewsMrTown

Agree, think someone else has recognised that and hence the change of Milne, and O’Neill stepping up the football side!
Evans taking the financial side for the time being.

Fantastic interview. on 14:20 - Jan 23 with 4052 viewsdavblue

Fantastic interview. on 13:38 - Jan 23 by Superfrans

This is a bit of red herring, in my book. What footballing decision (that he is in control of) has he made incorrectly, apart from appointing Hurst (which the vast majority of us fans supported)?

If he sacked our manager every 6 months, interfered with footballing decisions, made statements about our footballing performances all the time, I'd get it. But he doesn't.

The issue I have with Evans is that it remains unclear whether all of the proceeds from our transfer outgoings are re-invested. Mick suggested they weren't in relation to Tyrone leaving, he said he didn't even have a budget.

And I don't buy this argument that we can be competitive in the future because we sneaked into the play-offs once under Mick, with the highest scoring striker in 50 years leading the line, and even then weren't really competitive in the play-offs. fact is, while we're in the Championship, we're waiting for a miracle to turn up - or a blue moon...

Keane, Jewell, Hurst. All bad appointments Evans made those decisions.

I think in some instances he's backed the manager too long, Jewell's last few months were an utter shambles and he should have gone quicker.
Fantastic interview. on 14:21 - Jan 23 with 4043 viewsdavblue

Fantastic interview. on 13:48 - Jan 23 by Burwell_Blue

Quoting Sir Bobby "back the manager 100%"

So Marcus is wrong, Sir Bobby is wrong and most of the supporters of the club are wrong?

I've not questioned his backing of managers....

The appointments have been bad, 1 good manager out of 5 currently.
Fantastic interview. on 14:25 - Jan 23 with 4023 viewsVaughan8

Fantastic interview. on 13:02 - Jan 23 by GerkensBeard

In theory we want top players here, but in reality it works both ways, they have to want to come here as well.

How do we know if the players we have brought in are the best we can get who want to come here? We can't but personally I don't think many better players would come here without spending a fortune.
Fantastic interview. on 14:30 - Jan 23 with 4004 viewsNuggets

Fantastic? It was an in-house interview, and so came across as pretty fluffy and he wasn't challenged on anything he said or claimed.

For example, this quote - "The long term investment I have put in place has made us competitive in the past and the ongoing consistent investment to support the strategies of stable management, a strong Academy and competitive wages for experienced players I believe will make us competitive again."

Seriously? That's the strategy? We don't even follow it. Firstly, we've had three managers in nine months, so we haven't had a stable management. Is the academy really that strong in producing first team footballers? Today, Brentford sold an Academy defender for £12m. What academy player / graduate do we have that could fetch even half of that money? Dozzell at a push, but that's it. And 'competitive wages'? Is he having a joke there? Our very own manager has come out and bemoaned the current wage ceiling and structure as being poorly managed. We have one of the lowest wage bills in the division! Hardly competitive, especially considering the outlay we've had for player sales. Wherever it gets invested, it isn't in the playing squad, which has been reliant on the odd loan star and the occasional bargain signing coming good for years now. It's not sustainable and this season has proven that.

Secondly, he blames the poor business in the summer as the reason why we are bottom. It's a valid factor in our struggles, but is not a particularly effective, catch-all excuse and conveniently disguises the wider sense of decline at the club. Has Evans forgotten we finished four points from relegation two years ago? And are we really a competitive club? We have had one play off season in Evans' thirteen years of ownership. We have systematically failed to be particularly successful or competitive in his time at the club. Under Mick, I appreciate he generally got us punching above our financial weight, but we didn't really threaten the play off places. Even in 2014/15, we squeezed in on the last day of the season after Derby bottled it.

Credit to Marcus for actually talking to the fans and recognising the need to communicate. Yes, he raises a few good points and it's nice to hear that he's apparently committed to the future of the club (although I honestly would prefer another owner), but there isn't anything particularly new or revealing about this interview. I don't think it's 'fantastic'. And if he genuinely believes we are bottom of the table because of one bad transfer window, then he's widely off the mark and out of touch.

Blog: Disappointing Result, But Can Some of Us Drop the Sense of Entitlement?

Fantastic interview. on 15:20 - Jan 23 with 3945 viewsMrTown

Fantastic interview. on 13:00 - Jan 23 by Herbivore

Hello my friend, I write you as most humble servant of Prince Geoffrey of Nigeria. I have most excellent proposal for wonderful gent such as you. My prince wish to transfer £10,000,000 into UK and he will give you 10% for helping with the transfer. First I need £5000 fee from you to show you genuine man and to arrange transfer. Please send money by Western Union transfer.

That is the strangest thing I think I’ve ever read TWTD.

Fantastic interview. on 15:23 - Jan 23 with 3941 viewsChampionship

Fantastic interview. on 15:20 - Jan 23 by MrTown

Agree, can't believe my luck! I've sent £10k just in case there are any hiccups.
Fantastic interview. on 15:47 - Jan 23 with 3906 viewsHerbivore

Fantastic interview. on 15:20 - Jan 23 by MrTown

I'm implying that you're gullible/suggestible, friend.

Fantastic interview. on 16:00 - Jan 23 with 3884 viewsbraveblue

1. It was not an interview. Scripted press release.
2. Proper interviewer would have asked why he let Didz and Webster go.
3. Was the £5m profit in player fees not the wrong thing to do when we were losing our best players?
4. He thinks his plan is good. After 10 years we are being relegated. Priceless.
Fantastic interview. on 16:41 - Jan 23 with 3837 viewsMrTown

Fantastic interview. on 15:47 - Jan 23 by Herbivore

I'm implying that you're gullible/suggestible, friend.

Right.

Fantastic interview. on 16:55 - Jan 23 with 3817 viewsMrTown

Fantastic interview. on 14:30 - Jan 23 by Nuggets

Fantastic? It was an in-house interview, and so came across as pretty fluffy and he wasn't challenged on anything he said or claimed.

For example, this quote - "The long term investment I have put in place has made us competitive in the past and the ongoing consistent investment to support the strategies of stable management, a strong Academy and competitive wages for experienced players I believe will make us competitive again."

Seriously? That's the strategy? We don't even follow it. Firstly, we've had three managers in nine months, so we haven't had a stable management. Is the academy really that strong in producing first team footballers? Today, Brentford sold an Academy defender for £12m. What academy player / graduate do we have that could fetch even half of that money? Dozzell at a push, but that's it. And 'competitive wages'? Is he having a joke there? Our very own manager has come out and bemoaned the current wage ceiling and structure as being poorly managed. We have one of the lowest wage bills in the division! Hardly competitive, especially considering the outlay we've had for player sales. Wherever it gets invested, it isn't in the playing squad, which has been reliant on the odd loan star and the occasional bargain signing coming good for years now. It's not sustainable and this season has proven that.

Secondly, he blames the poor business in the summer as the reason why we are bottom. It's a valid factor in our struggles, but is not a particularly effective, catch-all excuse and conveniently disguises the wider sense of decline at the club. Has Evans forgotten we finished four points from relegation two years ago? And are we really a competitive club? We have had one play off season in Evans' thirteen years of ownership. We have systematically failed to be particularly successful or competitive in his time at the club. Under Mick, I appreciate he generally got us punching above our financial weight, but we didn't really threaten the play off places. Even in 2014/15, we squeezed in on the last day of the season after Derby bottled it.

Credit to Marcus for actually talking to the fans and recognising the need to communicate. Yes, he raises a few good points and it's nice to hear that he's apparently committed to the future of the club (although I honestly would prefer another owner), but there isn't anything particularly new or revealing about this interview. I don't think it's 'fantastic'. And if he genuinely believes we are bottom of the table because of one bad transfer window, then he's widely off the mark and out of touch.

Well for much of his tenure he has been a shadowy figure, rarely seen or heard from. He put together an interview in the summer for the fans and has done another one now, so too ear from the owner twice in 6 months, especially when the club is going through such a turbulent time, when everybody needs to be together I personally feel it’s could to hear from him regardless of scripted or not, challenging questions or not, just to hear from him and his perspective is positive imo.

In fairness to Evans he does fund the football club every year, there are years when he invests less, invests more, but generally as a rule he has been making a loss owning this football club. And it has been well in the millions most years, which must be such a heavy blow for anybody in this world, especially when he is seeing no return on his investment.

Well I think 95% of the fan base knew it was time to move on for MM and the club so I don’t think that was really a negative decision, but the PH tenure was a drastically disastrous one from the summer in hindsight and ME had to take drastic measures, something he doesn’t like doing and has been reknowned for with previous managers so to accuse him of not trying to building stable management structure in my opinion is harsh.

The academy vision was decided a couple of years ago, but with a vision using academies it does take a good few years to produce your first batch of kids, but once you get that conveyer belt moving it does seem to continuously produce, and I think we are seeing the first batch, now it’s about intergrating them into the first team and then continuously produce. This is something I am very positive about for the future of ITFC.

We had a very good squad here for someone to takeover in the summer, tweak to there oreference and install their philosophy, but the actual squad was good! But we all know PH went in there and just dropped a grenade in the dressing room. It is going to take a good few years to rebuild a stable, good football side again especially in our financial restraints, but we’ll have to be patient.

I saw a lot of sensibility and truth in Evans’ interview.

Fantastic interview. on 17:01 - Jan 23 with 3807 viewsSuperfrans

Fantastic interview. on 14:20 - Jan 23 by davblue

Keane, Jewell, Hurst. All bad appointments Evans made those decisions.

I think in some instances he's backed the manager too long, Jewell's last few months were an utter shambles and he should have gone quicker.

In the appointment of all three of these managers, they were not utterly misguided decisions and were supported by a lot of supporters - the only real objection to Keane was his perceived personality. Jewell might have gone a month earlier, but that's it. Only hindsight says otehrwsie.

Similarly Keane, but we were in the SFs of the league cup when he left, it was hard to justify kicking him out sooner.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024