Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New centrist party... 18:26 - Feb 7 with 2928 viewsZedRodgers

Leaked docuement reveals the new centrist party’s slogan shortlist.

A) We Are The 48%

B) Socially Liberal, Fiscally Conservative

C) I Can’t Believe It’s Not Tory

D) New Labour, but with more lieing

E) What Do We Want? Nothing. When Do We Want It? Forever.

D) Maybe He’s Born With It. Maybe It’s David Miliband.

E) We Know Chuka Said Remainers Should Forget About A 2nd Referendum, But Rees-Mogg Also Once Said There Should Be A 2nd Referendum

F) Corbyn’s The Worst That Could Happen.

G) Because You’re Worth More Than Most People, But Still Care About Them

H) Idealism Meanz Centrism

No, not at the moment

New centrist party... on 18:26 - Feb 7 with 2465 viewsGlasgowBlue

Did you vote Labour during the Blair years zed?

edit. If you want a name for a new centrist party, my suggestion is "Centre Forward". May get a few ex pros on board.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2019 18:28]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

New centrist party... on 18:31 - Feb 7 with 2455 viewsBackToRussia

New centrist party... on 18:26 - Feb 7 by GlasgowBlue

edit. If you want a name for a new centrist party, my suggestion is "Centre Forward". May get a few ex pros on board.

Just to round off today's great day TWTDing, would you be able to answer Chico's implication that you're a hard leftist for admitting you would have voted Blair?

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

New centrist party... on 18:34 - Feb 7 with 2421 viewsGlasgowBlue

New centrist party... on 18:31 - Feb 7 by BackToRussia

Just to round off today's great day TWTDing, would you be able to answer Chico's implication that you're a hard leftist for admitting you would have voted Blair?

Blair was a Trot at Uni.

Actually Blair’s government was Marxist in the way it was run, if not in its policies. John Reid, David Triesman, Peter Mandelson and Charlie Whelan once belonged to the Communist Party of Great Britain. Stephen Byers and Alan Milburn were both former Marxists.

This is an interesting read from Peter Oborne (part of a much longer article so I have copied the part about communism).

The old communists of New Labour

by Peter Oborne

The influence of the Communist Party on New Labour has been neglected.
One day it will be an important subject for a dissertation or PhD by a
university graduate. It is not merely the case that a significant number
of figures in the Government machine — John Reid, David Triesman, Peter
Mandelson, Charlie Whelan to name a few — belonged to the Communist
Party of Great Britain in all its King Street grandeur.

Many others — Stephen Byers and Alan Milburn among them — were connected
in one way or another with the obscure sub-Marxist organisations that
abounded in the 1970s, doing their best to tear down capitalism. Even
those, like Jack Straw, who had no Marxist sympathies at all, were
obliged to come to terms with communist methods and adversaries in the
shadowy internecine struggles of the 1970s and 1980s. It is these
methods — as opposed to the now despised Marxist dogma about ownership
of the means of production — that have endured to influence the Blair
Government. Millbank admittedly borrowed its technology — rebuttal
units, the Excalibur computer etc — from the United States. But the
obsessive secrecy, centralisation and intolerance of dissent which were
such overwhelming characteristics of the Millbank operation reek of the
CPGB.

David Triesman was a significant figure of the Euro-communist movement
of the 1970s, an attempt to give communism a ‘human face’. Thirty years
on and he is attempting a comparable exercise with New Labour.

Iron Lion Zion

New centrist party... on 18:40 - Feb 7 with 2426 viewsZedRodgers

New centrist party... on 18:26 - Feb 7 by GlasgowBlue

I didn’t:

Spoilt Vote > Green > Labour 2017-present

No, not at the moment

New centrist party... on 18:43 - Feb 7 with 2413 viewspickles110564

New centrist party... on 18:40 - Feb 7 by ZedRodgers

I didn’t:

How are you coping now Corbyn has come out as a full out Brexiteer and won't support a people's referendum ?
New centrist party... on 18:51 - Feb 7 with 2400 viewsjaykay

i thought we had a centrist party. the one what the gang of 4 set up with all the tories who were up for a centre party. when push came to shove only one tory was brave enough at the time, to join them.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

New centrist party... on 19:11 - Feb 7 with 2355 viewsZedRodgers

New centrist party... on 18:43 - Feb 7 by pickles110564

How are you coping now Corbyn has come out as a full out Brexiteer and won't support a people's referendum ?

Eh?

Labour tabled an amendment for a 2nd referendum last week and it didn’t pass. They are still supporting that option:

I’ve always agreed with their position of trying to force a general election and negotiate a better deal. For the record, I think a 2nd referendum right now, in this climate, would be a disaster. At this stage I would want Labour to force a general election and campaign in to negotiate a better deal and put that to a 2nd referendum. I think that would piece together a majority of the fractures.

That would all obviously involve extending article 50 - another thing Labour have attempted and not been able to pass to the majority in the HoC not wanting to reverse the result of the referendum. Something that is obvious to some of us, but still a concept that’s difficult to grasp for others by the way.

It’s clear that the EU are receptive to Labour’s approach. They’ve even told May today that it would be the best way out of this.

Labour have now effectively forced the EU to tell the Conservative Party that the best way forward is the one beingforward by the opposition. The compromises they are being told to make will completely divide the Conservative Party.

No, not at the moment

New centrist party... on 19:13 - Feb 7 with 2331 viewsGlasgowBlue

New centrist party... on 18:51 - Feb 7 by jaykay

i thought we had a centrist party. the one what the gang of 4 set up with all the tories who were up for a centre party. when push came to shove only one tory was brave enough at the time, to join them.

Who are "all the Tories" who were set to join up with the Gang of 4? That's the first I've heard of it.

It was always a reaction from Labour moderates towards the way the Labour party was lurching to the far left with Brexit and Nuclear disarmament.

I can't find any link to "all the Tories" that you speak of.

Iron Lion Zion

Login to get fewer ads

New centrist party... on 19:14 - Feb 7 with 2344 viewspickles110564

New centrist party... on 19:11 - Feb 7 by ZedRodgers

Eh?

Labour tabled an amendment for a 2nd referendum last week and it didn’t pass. They are still supporting that option:

I’ve always agreed with their position of trying to force a general election and negotiate a better deal. For the record, I think a 2nd referendum right now, in this climate, would be a disaster. At this stage I would want Labour to force a general election and campaign in to negotiate a better deal and put that to a 2nd referendum. I think that would piece together a majority of the fractures.

That would all obviously involve extending article 50 - another thing Labour have attempted and not been able to pass to the majority in the HoC not wanting to reverse the result of the referendum. Something that is obvious to some of us, but still a concept that’s difficult to grasp for others by the way.

It’s clear that the EU are receptive to Labour’s approach. They’ve even told May today that it would be the best way out of this.

Labour have now effectively forced the EU to tell the Conservative Party that the best way forward is the one beingforward by the opposition. The compromises they are being told to make will completely divide the Conservative Party.

Of course the EU would, it would tie us to them forever (well until they all implode bankrupt) and unable to agree trade deals with the rest of the world.
New centrist party... on 19:15 - Feb 7 with 2339 viewsSpruceMoose

New centrist party... on 19:14 - Feb 7 by pickles110564

Of course the EU would, it would tie us to them forever (well until they all implode bankrupt) and unable to agree trade deals with the rest of the world.

Do you thrill your customers with this kind of political insight? What are they buying off you? Sky hooks?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

New centrist party... on 19:17 - Feb 7 with 2319 viewsGlasgowBlue

New centrist party... on 19:11 - Feb 7 by ZedRodgers

Eh?

Labour did not table an amendment for a second referendum last week. That is utter nonsense.

Iron Lion Zion

New centrist party... on 19:18 - Feb 7 with 2326 viewsgtsb

New centrist party... on 18:40 - Feb 7 by ZedRodgers

I didn’t:

If you spoilt your vote deliberately then you can't be taken seriously.
New centrist party... on 19:28 - Feb 7 with 2293 viewsBloomBlue

New centrist party... on 19:18 - Feb 7 by gtsb

If you spoilt your vote deliberately then you can't be taken seriously.

Looks like Zed spoilt it twice by also voting for the Greens
New centrist party... on 19:38 - Feb 7 with 2268 viewsGlasgowBlue

New centrist party... on 19:28 - Feb 7 by BloomBlue

Looks like Zed spoilt it twice by also voting for the Greens

He's basically jumped on board with the Labour party since the elevation of Jezza as leader.

You can tell by his posts he is a zealot and has no regard for Labour's history pre 2015. Even Atlee is a Blairite Tory to him.

Iron Lion Zion

New centrist party... on 19:43 - Feb 7 with 2266 viewsjaykay

New centrist party... on 19:13 - Feb 7 by GlasgowBlue

Who are "all the Tories" who were set to join up with the Gang of 4? That's the first I've heard of it.

It was always a reaction from Labour moderates towards the way the Labour party was lurching to the far left with Brexit and Nuclear disarmament.

I can't find any link to "all the Tories" that you speak of.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2012/mar/17/margaret-thatcher-papers-tory-s

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

New centrist party... on 19:45 - Feb 7 with 2259 viewsChampionship

Haha bless.
New centrist party... on 19:46 - Feb 7 with 2255 viewspickles110564

New centrist party... on 19:15 - Feb 7 by SpruceMoose

Do you thrill your customers with this kind of political insight? What are they buying off you? Sky hooks?

Thats the closest by accident you have come to guessing my job.
New centrist party... on 19:49 - Feb 7 with 2242 viewsSpruceMoose

New centrist party... on 19:46 - Feb 7 by pickles110564

Thats the closest by accident you have come to guessing my job.

I've never actually guessed before, so I could have said male stripper and it would have been my closest guess.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

New centrist party... on 19:52 - Feb 7 with 2235 viewsfooters

New centrist party... on 19:49 - Feb 7 by SpruceMoose

I've never actually guessed before, so I could have said male stripper and it would have been my closest guess.

#choon

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

New centrist party... on 19:54 - Feb 7 with 2230 viewsfooters

Have an uppie for Idealism Meanz Centrism - I would explain the reason it tickled me so but it wouldn't be worth it :)

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

New centrist party... on 19:54 - Feb 7 with 2219 viewsGlasgowBlue

New centrist party... on 19:43 - Feb 7 by jaykay

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2012/mar/17/margaret-thatcher-papers-tory-s

Yes I know this. The SDP has been formed by then. No Tories were due to be part of the original gang of 4 as you had originally stated.

Even your article says that of the 25 "wets" only 4 entered into talks with the SDP which, as I said earlier, had already been formed.

Iron Lion Zion

New centrist party... on 19:58 - Feb 7 with 2214 viewsZedRodgers

New centrist party... on 19:17 - Feb 7 by GlasgowBlue

Labour did not table an amendment for a second referendum last week. That is utter nonsense.

Nonsense?

Sorry, I should have been clearer. They tabled an amendment that would have allowed the house to vote on whether there should be a 2nd referendum.

The point still stands. There are no Tory rebels. It’s a myth.

No, not at the moment

New centrist party... on 20:01 - Feb 7 with 2201 viewsZedRodgers

New centrist party... on 19:38 - Feb 7 by GlasgowBlue

He's basically jumped on board with the Labour party since the elevation of Jezza as leader.

You can tell by his posts he is a zealot and has no regard for Labour's history pre 2015. Even Atlee is a Blairite Tory to him.

Altee did good and bad things.

Hardie is the boss.

Bevan is the hero.

No, not at the moment

New centrist party... on 20:06 - Feb 7 with 2172 viewsGlasgowBlue

New centrist party... on 19:58 - Feb 7 by ZedRodgers

Nonsense?

Sorry, I should have been clearer. They tabled an amendment that would have allowed the house to vote on whether there should be a 2nd referendum.

The point still stands. There are no Tory rebels. It’s a myth.

And as Rebecca Long-Bailey said the Labour party has not committed to a second referendum.

"The shadow business secretary said the amendment did not “in any way” mean the party backed a second referendum. She told BBC Radio 4’s Today Programme: “The amendment is very specifically-worded to allow for the debate of the options. “It is not stating that the party supports a second referendum in any way and indeed if it was passed, the amendment, and it went to a vote on the specific issues, then that would be a decision for the party to take at the time. “We are prioritising seeking a deal which provides many of the assurances we have sought from the PM.”

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/second-brexit-referendum-labour-commons-people

Corbyn could have tabled an amendment calling for a second referendum. Tories Anna Soubry and Sarah Wollaston alongside Labour's Chuka Umunna and Luciana Berger held a joint press conference imploring Corbyn to support a second referendum.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1077231/brexit-news-vote-amendment-peopl

But we know Jezza doesn't want one.

Iron Lion Zion

New centrist party... on 20:29 - Feb 7 with 2142 viewsZedRodgers

New centrist party... on 20:06 - Feb 7 by GlasgowBlue

And as Rebecca Long-Bailey said the Labour party has not committed to a second referendum.

"The shadow business secretary said the amendment did not “in any way” mean the party backed a second referendum. She told BBC Radio 4’s Today Programme: “The amendment is very specifically-worded to allow for the debate of the options. “It is not stating that the party supports a second referendum in any way and indeed if it was passed, the amendment, and it went to a vote on the specific issues, then that would be a decision for the party to take at the time. “We are prioritising seeking a deal which provides many of the assurances we have sought from the PM.”

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/second-brexit-referendum-labour-commons-people

Corbyn could have tabled an amendment calling for a second referendum. Tories Anna Soubry and Sarah Wollaston alongside Labour's Chuka Umunna and Luciana Berger held a joint press conference imploring Corbyn to support a second referendum.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1077231/brexit-news-vote-amendment-peopl

But we know Jezza doesn't want one.

Thanks, I’m fully aware that they haven’t put everything behind backing a 2nd referendum. The point I was making was that Corbyn tabled the only amendment that would pave the way for the allowing the house to decide on having a 2nd referendum... but the faux-rebel Tories you’ve mentioned voted against it.

Feel free to point me in the direction of the people that have called for a 2nd amendment and tabled ones which would allow it to be voted on.

This is the same Anna Soubry who sat in front of a press conference with a graphic that said “If Not Now, When?” about Labour tabling a motion of no confidence. She voted against the motion of no confidence.

She calls for other people (not herself obviously) to force a people’s vote. She voted against the amendment that would pave the way for one.

Umunna talks about ending freedom of movement being a “sacrifice we need to make” and how we can’t have a 2nd referendum for a year, before backing one

If they want a 2nd referendum so much why did they vote down the amendment which would have made it possible, put forward by the man they (and you) say doesn’t one.

It’s obvious that Labour don’t feel that pushing for a 2nd referendum on May’s deal/no deal/remain is the best approach right now, isn’t it?

So what point are you trying to make exactly?

No, not at the moment

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024