Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First time I've seen Mings live for a season or two 21:12 - Feb 8 with 2875 viewsportmanking

Never a centre half in a month of Sundays. I repeat, never a centre half. Completely owned by Sharp and Madine tonight.
First time I've seen Mings live for a season or two on 21:29 - Feb 8 with 2828 viewsPinewoodblue

But he can score goals!!

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

First time I've seen Mings live for a season or two on 21:30 - Feb 8 with 2827 viewswarkthisway

Spoke to soon mate- ten times better than anything we have got now !

bentnkuqi

First time I've seen Mings live for a season or two on 21:32 - Feb 8 with 2814 viewsportmanking

First time I've seen Mings live for a season or two on 21:30 - Feb 8 by warkthisway

Spoke to soon mate- ten times better than anything we have got now !

Spoke too soon? He scored at one end, but I'm talking about his defending. Never a centre half.
First time I've seen Mings live for a season or two on 21:37 - Feb 8 with 2800 viewswarkthisway

First time I've seen Mings live for a season or two on 21:32 - Feb 8 by portmanking

Spoke too soon? He scored at one end, but I'm talking about his defending. Never a centre half.

Really? - have you seen Knudsen Chambers and Spence this season ?

bentnkuqi

First time I've seen Mings live for a season or two on 21:41 - Feb 8 with 2776 viewsportmanking

First time I've seen Mings live for a season or two on 21:37 - Feb 8 by warkthisway

Really? - have you seen Knudsen Chambers and Spence this season ?

FFS. I'm talking about Mings, not our shower. Stop being such a simpleton.
First time I've seen Mings live for a season or two on 21:45 - Feb 8 with 2741 viewswarkthisway

First time I've seen Mings live for a season or two on 21:41 - Feb 8 by portmanking

FFS. I'm talking about Mings, not our shower. Stop being such a simpleton.

I’m just saying he’s a quality ,quality player the likes of which haven’t graced our pitch since he left - just a shame Evans is too tight to get him back !

bentnkuqi

First time I've seen Mings live for a season or two on 22:07 - Feb 8 with 2654 viewsMrTown

Not a Centre Half, wasn’t poor tonight though.

His ability on the ball looks a lot better, some of his diagonals were pin point. At 6ft 5 or whatever he is he’ll be a hell of Left Back when he can get a run of games going again.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

First time I've seen Mings live for a season or two on 22:19 - Feb 8 with 2606 viewswarkthisway

First time I've seen Mings live for a season or two on 22:07 - Feb 8 by MrTown

Not a Centre Half, wasn’t poor tonight though.

His ability on the ball looks a lot better, some of his diagonals were pin point. At 6ft 5 or whatever he is he’ll be a hell of Left Back when he can get a run of games going again.

Agreed - I can see him in the England squad if he stays fit

bentnkuqi

Login to get fewer ads

First time I've seen Mings live for a season or two on 08:35 - Feb 9 with 2268 viewschristiand

He will be and he’s got a top central defender to learn from in John Terry at Villa. He’s got all the attributes to be a good centre half, but needs the games under his belt - in that position - to learn from.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

on 08:41 - Feb 9 with 2261 views_

First time I've seen Mings live for a season or two on 08:35 - Feb 9 by christiand

He will be and he’s got a top central defender to learn from in John Terry at Villa. He’s got all the attributes to be a good centre half, but needs the games under his belt - in that position - to learn from.

First time I've seen Mings live for a season or two on 08:42 - Feb 9 with 2261 viewsHerbivore

First time I've seen Mings live for a season or two on 08:35 - Feb 9 by christiand

Attributes he has to be a top centre half: he's tall, he's fairly quick. That's literally it. He's a very good left back but he's never a centre half.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

First time I've seen Mings live for a season or two on 09:09 - Feb 9 with 2176 viewschristiand

First time I've seen Mings live for a season or two on 08:42 - Feb 9 by Herbivore

Attributes he has to be a top centre half: he's tall, he's fairly quick. That's literally it. He's a very good left back but he's never a centre half.

Everyone has an opinion, you forget Mings can pass a ball too and is invariably comfortable with the ball at his feet. He’ll be coached by Terry too about positioning and dealing with different situations. Mings hasn’t really played that many games professionally, for various reasons and is still learning his trade. You think he won’t be a centre half, which is perfectly fine, I think he will be eventually. Let’s see what unfolds with his career.

First time I've seen Mings live for a season or two on 09:13 - Feb 9 with 2167 viewsTerry_Nutkins

First time I've seen Mings live for a season or two on 08:42 - Feb 9 by Herbivore

I Wouldn't say that is 'literally' it. Tall, quick, decent on the ball, very competitive, enjoys a battle, good attitute to learn. He can make it as a centre half but with all the time he had out he is very raw. If anything he has better attributes for a CB then left back but he's played LB more.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

First time I've seen Mings live for a season or two on 09:18 - Feb 9 with 2139 viewsHerbivore

First time I've seen Mings live for a season or two on 09:13 - Feb 9 by Terry_Nutkins

I Wouldn't say that is 'literally' it. Tall, quick, decent on the ball, very competitive, enjoys a battle, good attitute to learn. He can make it as a centre half but with all the time he had out he is very raw. If anything he has better attributes for a CB then left back but he's played LB more.

His worst attribute is his positional sense and he also has a tendency for lapses in concentration. Those things count against him hugely in becoming a good CB. Plus he's now mid 20s and has barely played there. At left back those issues get exposed less and he still gets to use all the attributes you've listed, arguably more so as he can use his ability on the ball higher up the pitch.

First time I've seen Mings live for a season or two on 09:44 - Feb 9 with 2097 viewschristiand

First time I've seen Mings live for a season or two on 09:18 - Feb 9 by Herbivore

His worst attribute is his positional sense and he also has a tendency for lapses in concentration. Those things count against him hugely in becoming a good CB. Plus he's now mid 20s and has barely played there. At left back those issues get exposed less and he still gets to use all the attributes you've listed, arguably more so as he can use his ability on the ball higher up the pitch.

Lapses in concentration, like most defenders then? He'll still have those lapses as a left back too. Mings is 25 and played 70+ professional games, just believe it's a little too soon to be writing him off when he's still primarily in the infancy of his career. He's a raw talent and especially so as a centre half, he's still very much learning that position. I'd say one thing, imagine him playing centre back with Collins at Ipswich, the combination of those two's attributes would certainly make us significantly stronger defensively.

First time I've seen Mings live for a season or two on 09:52 - Feb 9 with 2078 viewsHerbivore

First time I've seen Mings live for a season or two on 09:44 - Feb 9 by christiand

Lapses in concentration, like most defenders then? He'll still have those lapses as a left back too. Mings is 25 and played 70+ professional games, just believe it's a little too soon to be writing him off when he's still primarily in the infancy of his career. He's a raw talent and especially so as a centre half, he's still very much learning that position. I'd say one thing, imagine him playing centre back with Collins at Ipswich, the combination of those two's attributes would certainly make us significantly stronger defensively.

Where do you get this confidence in his ability as a CB? He's played a handful of games there and has looked shaky in pretty much all of them. He was part of a back 4 that shipped 3 goals at home last night.

First time I've seen Mings live for a season or two on 10:02 - Feb 9 with 2061 viewschristiand

First time I've seen Mings live for a season or two on 09:52 - Feb 9 by Herbivore

Where do you get this confidence in his ability as a CB? He's played a handful of games there and has looked shaky in pretty much all of them. He was part of a back 4 that shipped 3 goals at home last night.

Villa have shipped goals all season. Just think he needs time to learn the position and be coached how to play that role. I could be completely wrong of course, but it’ll be interesting to watch from afar!

First time I've seen Mings live for a season or two on 10:28 - Feb 9 with 2026 viewsHerbivore

First time I've seen Mings live for a season or two on 10:02 - Feb 9 by christiand

Villa have shipped goals all season. Just think he needs time to learn the position and be coached how to play that role. I could be completely wrong of course, but it’ll be interesting to watch from afar!

It will. For me though I just think it's a waste of a good left back.

First time I've seen Mings live for a season or two on 10:44 - Feb 9 with 2005 viewsportmanking

First time I've seen Mings live for a season or two on 10:28 - Feb 9 by Herbivore

It will. For me though I just think it's a waste of a good left back.

Yep. In the modern game where full backs are arguably becoming the most influential players on the pitch, Mings' athleticism and power makes him ideally suited for left back. To be a good CB you need an innate positional awareness and outstanding concentration. Mings has neither. He's also easily roughed up despite his size. Pint-sized Billy Sharp gave him a torrid time last night.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2019 10:45]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024