Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Flynn Downes. 13:20 - Feb 11 with 4328 viewsbritbiker

Clearly there is a good player in the making but I am concerned about his football intelligence. Didnt we sub him a few weeks ago because he had lost his head and was on the brink of a red card. Then against Nodge he comes on and wipes out their player. Could have been a red if we had any of the refs from previous four games. That would have killed any chance of a comeback as we were still in the match at that point.
It reminded me of Hyam who would come on and immediately get a yellow for a poor tackle. Hope someone in the club has a word with him as pointless cards will ruin his progress.
[Post edited 11 Feb 2019 13:41]
Flynn Downes. on 13:27 - Feb 11 with 4287 viewsZedRodgers

Still in the match at that point?

He was subbed on at 85mins, 3-0 down. The tackle was in the 90th minute.

I think he should have started ahead of Nolan and ruffled feathers for the entire game. He was just as wound up at 90mins as he would have been if he started. Could see him leap off the bench when it all kicked off before half time. He loves it. Just needs to channel it better at times.

No, not at the moment

Flynn Downes. on 13:34 - Feb 11 with 4237 viewsHarry_Palmer

The game was long gone by the time he did that. Personally I enjoyed his challenge a lot, and the other late ones from Judge and Nolan. The sight of any player sent flying when wearing that disgusting yellow and green shirt brings joy to my heart.

I take your larger point though, he does perhaps need to channel his aggression in a more controlled way so as to avoid picking up unnecessary cards.
Flynn Downes. on 13:35 - Feb 11 with 4238 viewsRobTheMonk

Someone was going to kick that little Norwich player. It was never a red challenge. Yellow was fine. No problems with him having a bit of a 'nasty' streak - nasty used very loosely.
Flynn Downes. on 13:38 - Feb 11 with 4202 viewsgordon

Watching Jon Nolan play in his position for 85 minutes ought to be enough to make anyone furious, to be fair.
Flynn Downes. on 13:39 - Feb 11 with 4182 viewsSteve_M

I suspect that was part of the reason that he didn't start yesterday.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Flynn Downes. on 13:49 - Feb 11 with 4126 viewsSWGF

Flynn Downes. on 13:39 - Feb 11 by Steve_M

I suspect that was part of the reason that he didn't start yesterday.

He was 4/11 to be booked yesterday, before teams were announced. Nobody else, on either team, was odds-on.

Edit: Might have been 8/11. Either way, was way "ahead" of anyone else.
[Post edited 11 Feb 2019 13:50]

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Flynn Downes. on 13:52 - Feb 11 with 4096 viewsSteve_M

Flynn Downes. on 13:49 - Feb 11 by SWGF

He was 4/11 to be booked yesterday, before teams were announced. Nobody else, on either team, was odds-on.

Yes, he's got a little bit of a reputation at the moment. If he learns to control that he'll be a better player for it.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Flynn Downes. on 13:53 - Feb 11 with 4089 viewsbritbiker

Surprised Skuse wasn't up there in the booking odds pre match.
Login to get fewer ads

Flynn Downes. on 13:56 - Feb 11 with 4069 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Call me childish, but at 90 minutes with the match over and the season pretty much done I was really hoping that someone like Chambo would absolutely clatter on of their players and become a hero.

Not in a two footed career threatening way. Just to walk up to one of the cheats and just throw them to the ground or something.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Flynn Downes. on 14:20 - Feb 11 with 3996 viewsitfcjoe

He had a few reds for the U18s, at one point his brother was on the pith at QPR away after a fracas.

A few weeks later he got sent off at home and his brother was down haranguing the linesman for the next half hour on his own

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Flynn Downes. on 16:10 - Feb 11 with 3867 viewsSamWhiteUK

Buendia's favourite thing to do throughout the game was to sit on his arse with his arms out complaining. Good old Flynny was just being kind enough to give him another chance to partake in his favourite hobby
Flynn Downes. on 16:12 - Feb 11 with 3850 viewsTractorCam

Flynn Downes. on 13:56 - Feb 11 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Call me childish, but at 90 minutes with the match over and the season pretty much done I was really hoping that someone like Chambo would absolutely clatter on of their players and become a hero.

Not in a two footed career threatening way. Just to walk up to one of the cheats and just throw them to the ground or something.

To contradict the op, i'm with you.

On the 84th minute I said "fook it, let's go all out to just clatter them about. Lets bring on Downes!"

Watching him appear just a minute later to then fly through someone was a brilliant moment.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Flynn Downes. on 16:13 - Feb 11 with 3848 viewsMrTown

He's a 20 year old boy, he's got passion in his game, let's not take it away.

We''ll win nothing unless we have some fecking bite in the team. All great teams have a nasty b*stards in their side.

I personally have no problem with it.
[Post edited 11 Feb 2019 17:27]

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Flynn Downes. on 16:21 - Feb 11 with 3809 viewsbritbiker

Flynn Downes. on 16:13 - Feb 11 by MrTown

We''ll win nothing unless we have some fecking bite in the team. All great teams have a nasty b*stards in their side.

Years ago I would have agreed with you but most players will fall over in a death roll if they even sense another player near them. Its frustrating but modern football is virtually non contact. He will siimply end up with an early shower more often than not.
Flynn Downes. on 17:32 - Feb 11 with 3691 viewsMrTown

Flynn Downes. on 16:21 - Feb 11 by britbiker

Years ago I would have agreed with you but most players will fall over in a death roll if they even sense another player near them. Its frustrating but modern football is virtually non contact. He will siimply end up with an early shower more often than not.

He's played over 40 games at competitive level now, and if I'm not mistaken has 0 red cards.

He's fine, personally have no issue at all with it.

some of the greats have that bite and aren't the same player without it:
Sergio Ramos
Diego Costa
Roy Keane
Patrick Viera
Gazza
Gattuso

And we're not talking about ability here, we're talking about tenacity and playing on the edge, these greats wouldn't be the same kind of player without it.

Flynn Downes. on 17:46 - Feb 11 with 3643 viewsPilgrimblue

Flynn Downes. on 16:13 - Feb 11 by MrTown

I think he'd seen all the Naarwich players antics and decided enough was enough.

Next season I'm sure we'll see him take over Skuse's position and be more responsible but tough. I agree that too many players today feign injury and buy free kicks. But that dive from Stiepermann was just comical!
Flynn Downes. on 17:50 - Feb 11 with 3625 viewsMrTown

Flynn Downes. on 17:46 - Feb 11 by Pilgrimblue

I think he'd seen all the Naarwich players antics and decided enough was enough.

Next season I'm sure we'll see him take over Skuse's position and be more responsible but tough. I agree that too many players today feign injury and buy free kicks. But that dive from Stiepermann was just comical!

That dive was laughable! I had to watch it again about 5/6 times after the game just to cheer me up again.

Think Downes is probably the protege to Skuse, different type of player, but will be nice to see some fecking steal in the team again.

Flynn Downes. on 19:35 - Feb 11 with 3476 viewsbritbiker

Flynn Downes. on 17:46 - Feb 11 by Pilgrimblue

Even the Sky commentary slated him for that dive.
Flynn Downes. on 19:38 - Feb 11 with 3459 viewsMrTown

Flynn Downes. on 19:35 - Feb 11 by britbiker

Even the Sky commentary slated him for that dive.

Just as a side note: Watching MNF and Patrick Kluivert and Carra talking about how soft Chelsea are at the press.

Kluivert just added a nice line basically saying how even though he played for some very nice sides such as Ajax, Barca and Holland, don't get it twisted that they were still aggressive b*stards.

Absolutely key to any team.

Flynn Downes. on 19:40 - Feb 11 with 3450 viewsm14_blue

Well I thoroughly enjoyed his cameo yesterday. That’s exactly how I’d want our players to react to being 3-0 down at Norwich late on, particularly having had to watch them roll around screaming for much of the previous 85 minutes.

I also thought the commentators went way OTT, it was never a red in a million years, not even slightly dangerous (Harrison’s was far worse although arguably less cynical).

Take the wider point about his discipline but I really think we need a couple of nasty bastards out there.
[Post edited 11 Feb 2019 19:48]
Flynn Downes. on 22:00 - Feb 11 with 3293 viewsKeaneish

The game was over. He was just leaving a bit of a mark on the game. I'd have done the same in a local derby given my minutes on the pitch and the situation the game was in. Think he's going to be excellent leader for us next season or the season after. One of the only few real leaders we have in the team amongst Collins, Chambers and Judge.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024