Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pennington 09:49 - Feb 11 with 4213 viewsZedRodgers

It's frustrating that a player can look solid and competent for 90% of a game, making crucial blocks and clearances throughout that time, only to consistently present opposition sides with at least one certain goal-scoring opportunity per game.

The handful of misplaced passes going forward could be forgiven if it wasn't for the monumental fck ups.

The thing is, the fck ups don't even seem to be one-off out of character mistakes. It's as if the solid 90% of the game is actually what's out of character.

No, not at the moment

Pennington on 09:51 - Feb 11 with 4187 viewsHerbivore

He gifts the opposition a goal most games. For me that totally negates anything good he might do.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Pennington on 09:52 - Feb 11 with 4175 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

He seems to read the game well, anticipates things, makes strong challenges and look generally commanding when obvious danger is imminent, e.g. the other team are attacking us.

As soon as this isn't the case and we are in possession or the ball is still in a non threatening area he completely switches off and becomes the opposite.

His passing is abysmal. He's given away three or four goals already this season with misplaced passes. Yesterday was horrible but still wasn't as bad as the hospital ball he gave Gerken against Millwall for their third.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Pennington on 10:05 - Feb 11 with 4119 viewsNazemariner

That's exactly why he is playing for us rather than Everton.
Pennington on 10:09 - Feb 11 with 4108 viewsitfcjoe

I'm very surprised Derby were so keen, apparently that was a permanent deal they were in for.

He's too error prone for me, just looks a slightly better Alex Bruce - everything is last ditch and catching people up because he is out of position and over commits.

He's not had a bad season all in all, but he's not someone I particularly rate. Had we had Collins in there yesterday would have been a different game.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Pennington on 10:13 - Feb 11 with 4069 viewsHerbivore

Pennington on 10:09 - Feb 11 by itfcjoe

I'm very surprised Derby were so keen, apparently that was a permanent deal they were in for.

He's too error prone for me, just looks a slightly better Alex Bruce - everything is last ditch and catching people up because he is out of position and over commits.

He's not had a bad season all in all, but he's not someone I particularly rate. Had we had Collins in there yesterday would have been a different game.

Agree with this. I think some rate him for the larst ditch tackle and throwing himself in front of stuff but 9 times out of 10 that's a result of him being out of position to begin with. The indivual error count from him leading directly to the other team scoring is utterly ridiculous this season. I'm just not sure he'll ever be a good Championship defender let alone anything beyond that. Without wanting to be too harsh, he killed the game off yesterday. We were on top and he gave them the killer goal on a plate, and not for the first time.

Pennington on 10:18 - Feb 11 with 4028 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Pennington on 09:51 - Feb 11 by Herbivore

He gifts the opposition a goal most games. For me that totally negates anything good he might do.

Basically this. I'd hate to see the stats on how many he has been directly culpable for, but it will be high.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Pennington on 10:23 - Feb 11 with 3994 viewsSWGF

...or CCV there instead.

This season's loans have all been below par, despite the sheer number of candidates.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Pennington on 10:24 - Feb 11 with 3979 viewsSWGF

Would N'Siala do any worse? And if he did, would he learn and therefore benefit us in the longer term (as opposed to whichever club Pennington finds himself at in the future)?

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Login to get fewer ads

Pennington on 10:26 - Feb 11 with 3971 viewsZedRodgers

Annoying isn't it.

I know it's very easy and predictable to come out with the 'might as well give the kids a go buh' rhetoric, but I would feel very differently about the Woolfman making these kinds of errors as part of his learning curve - Not that I think he (or even Toto) would be capable of religiously gifting a goal per game.

No, not at the moment

Pennington on 10:43 - Feb 11 with 3918 viewsJakeITFC

Alex Bruce is a lovely shout.
Pennington on 12:16 - Feb 11 with 3815 viewsitfcjoe

Pennington on 10:26 - Feb 11 by ZedRodgers

Annoying isn't it.

I know it's very easy and predictable to come out with the 'might as well give the kids a go buh' rhetoric, but I would feel very differently about the Woolfman making these kinds of errors as part of his learning curve - Not that I think he (or even Toto) would be capable of religiously gifting a goal per game.

There seems to be an obvious benefit in trying to get Nsiala in the team bearing in mind he has another 2 years on his contract

Pennington on 12:23 - Feb 11 with 3780 viewsHerbivore

Pennington on 12:16 - Feb 11 by itfcjoe

There seems to be an obvious benefit in trying to get Nsiala in the team bearing in mind he has another 2 years on his contract

And to be fair to Nsiala it's not as though he's played too badly when he has played. And he's the kind of commanding presence that tends to get the best out of Chambers alongside him. He's not great on the ball but I doubt he'd have attempted the sort of pass that led to their second goal and that's fine by me.

Pennington on 12:28 - Feb 11 with 3754 viewsitfcjoe

Pennington on 12:23 - Feb 11 by Herbivore

And to be fair to Nsiala it's not as though he's played too badly when he has played. And he's the kind of commanding presence that tends to get the best out of Chambers alongside him. He's not great on the ball but I doubt he'd have attempted the sort of pass that led to their second goal and that's fine by me.

I thought Toto was good last week vs Sheff Weds, and bar being a bit rash in the challenge has generally been ok.

They seemed to be judged differently - I have been criticial of Toto for diving in and giving away free kicks, penalties and getting sent off because his errors always seemed to be compounded by goals.

Pennington seems to make more mistakes but get away with a lot of them - I don't really see any reason not to start working him into the team ahead of MP.

Pennington on 12:28 - Feb 11 with 3749 viewsSomethingBlue

It's a shame because he can look good for long spells but ultimately costs us a goal a game and therefore has to go down as one of the worst loanees I can remember.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Pennington on 13:17 - Feb 11 with 3661 viewsZedRodgers

Pennington on 12:28 - Feb 11 by itfcjoe

I thought Toto was good last week vs Sheff Weds, and bar being a bit rash in the challenge has generally been ok.

They seemed to be judged differently - I have been criticial of Toto for diving in and giving away free kicks, penalties and getting sent off because his errors always seemed to be compounded by goals.

Pennington seems to make more mistakes but get away with a lot of them - I don't really see any reason not to start working him into the team ahead of MP.

Agreed - He was one of the only players who could have come out of Sheff Weds saying they had a decent game.

No, not at the moment

Pennington on 13:27 - Feb 11 with 3615 viewsGlasgowBlue

It’s far too frequent. However, he’d get away with it in a better team as the whole defence seems to fall apart when we are under pressure. Team take advantage of any mistake we make .

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Pennington on 13:37 - Feb 11 with 3563 viewsbritbiker

Not as bad as the headed clearence from Skuse (who I like). The moment that looped up in the air you knew it was going to end up in our net.
The team talk must have been to frustrate Norwich early on and get the crowd nervous, which we did later in the game. Then to have the most experienced pro in our team ruin that in the first minute is shocking. Would love to know what Lambert was thinking just then.
Pennington on 08:36 - Feb 14 with 3296 viewsZedRodgers

No, not at the moment

Pennington on 08:45 - Feb 14 with 3273 viewsHerbivore

Pennington on 08:36 - Feb 14 by ZedRodgers

He had a better game. That doesn't cancel out the numerous goals he's been responsible for and he wouldn't be in my starting line up if everyone was fit.

Pennington on 08:47 - Feb 14 with 3259 viewschristiand

Pennington on 08:45 - Feb 14 by Herbivore

He had a better game. That doesn't cancel out the numerous goals he's been responsible for and he wouldn't be in my starting line up if everyone was fit.

That’s fair Herbs, but give him some credit when he has played well.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Pennington on 08:51 - Feb 14 with 3245 viewsMrTown

Pennington on 08:45 - Feb 14 by Herbivore

Had a great game last night, him and Knudsen actually looked decent as a CB pair last night.

Still worry about their height.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Pennington on 10:08 - Feb 14 with 3196 viewsHerbivore

Pennington on 08:51 - Feb 14 by MrTown

Had a great game last night, him and Knudsen actually looked decent as a CB pair last night.

Still worry about their height.

It was a good game for them in some ways as Derby aren't especially physical and keep the ball on the deck. They did play well though, the goal we conceded was as much bad luck as anything with the deflection wrong footing Bart.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024