Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Heading 13:38 - Feb 14 with 478 viewsKropotkin123

Just been reading a piece on the BBC about heading the ball - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47232257. In it they call for a ban on children heading the ball.

I never really liked heading the ball and as such tended to play midfield or goalkeeper, as you don't have to head the ball that much. I would often duck out of headers. I'd often feel like I was getting a nose bleed when I hit it with my forehead.

Due to the article, it got me thinking, what would the game look like if heading was removed from the game entirely.

The game would have to be more technical, for sure. Corners may have to be re-thought, and freekicks would be a bit odd.

Two questions.
Is it possible to remove headers, whilst maintaining the games current level of excitement and interest?
How much do you care about the long term repercussions of heading the ball?

I'm also interested in whether you think it is stupid to try, insult to the game, a necessary evil, an archaic part of the game, etc. I guess I'm interested in finding out what the current consensus is on the matter
[Post edited 14 Feb 2019 13:42]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Heading on 14:08 - Feb 14 with 444 viewsbadadski

Its kind of like taking punches to the head out of boxing. Any interactions between foreign objects and our heads is never going to be good for us but we do this knowing the risks involved the same as crossing the road.
Heading on 15:31 - Feb 14 with 421 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

The game would seem strange without it, but there is no reason why it couldn't happen.

Think about 5 a side for example, no heading in those games.

If you had just made up football and it had no heading in the rules, you wouldn't find that odd.

Don't get me wrong, I like to have heading in the game, but there's no practical reason why it couldn't be dropped.

Football must be the only sport where you do head the ball.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Heading on 16:09 - Feb 14 with 396 viewsSwansea_Blue

Kids football in the states has outlawed heading. I never really noticed the difference although you tend not to get as much heading in kids games anyway. It'd be an interesting experiment.

Oh, and Tony Pulis would be out of a job.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024