Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Interesting from Chambo 12:44 - Feb 19 with 4585 viewsMrTown

When I was at the u23's game, all I could was Ndaba's agent blowing smoke up his ar*e talking about if he went to a club like Wolves.

His own team were in front of him playing, agent's just talk bulls*t.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Interesting from Chambo on 12:51 - Feb 19 with 4192 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Agents, along with gambling promotion, is one of the worst parts of the game. Chambers is spot on, and it's probably even more at the fore when you look at Knudsen in January, who was clearly ill-advised.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Interesting from Chambo on 12:51 - Feb 19 with 4198 viewsSwansea_Blue

He's spot on in his comments. With the amount of money in the game it's bound to attract the wrong sorts of people with the wrong sort of motives.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Interesting from Chambo on 12:54 - Feb 19 with 4178 viewsjeera

Interesting from Chambo on 12:51 - Feb 19 by Swansea_Blue

He's spot on in his comments. With the amount of money in the game it's bound to attract the wrong sorts of people with the wrong sort of motives.

Richard Wright always springs to mind.

I realise he made money, (and I don't want to speak out of turn either), but to this day cannot see how a talent like that would prefer sitting on a bench instead of furthering his career.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Interesting from Chambo on 12:57 - Feb 19 with 4130 viewsPJH

Interesting from Chambo on 12:54 - Feb 19 by jeera

I realise he made money, (and I don't want to speak out of turn either), but to this day cannot see how a talent like that would prefer sitting on a bench instead of furthering his career.

Exactly.

I posted on another thread the other day that he played 240 games for us between 1995 and 2001 and then only about another 140 in the next 15 years,58 of which were for us.

Great career financially no doubt but....
Interesting from Chambo on 13:02 - Feb 19 with 4088 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

To be fair, he wouldnt have left us thinking his career would go backwards, he would have left expecting to learn from Seaman and become his successor.

I think he would have benefited from another season with us, but I can see why he left, and I think it showed ambition rather than a lack of ambition.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Interesting from Chambo on 13:07 - Feb 19 with 4037 viewsitfcjoe

Players need agents though, and there are plenty of good ones out there - like he mentions that now they don't need to be regulated it is much more difficult.

A lot of agents are ex players too as he recommends all agents should be, and some of those fall into the good category, others fall into the bad category - there's no real simple solution.

It might be best for Ndaba to go - sign a deal on here and play in our U23s, or sign for Wolves and play in theirs with bigger exposure, more money and a better chance to get a higher quality loan when senior club has clout to ensure you play.

I think too many people look at lack of loyalty and not realise that the industry is more cut throat for the players than anyone else and they need to make hay whilst the sun shines.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Interesting from Chambo on 13:08 - Feb 19 with 4019 viewsCoastalblue

Interesting from Chambo on 12:51 - Feb 19 by JammyDodgerrr

Agents, along with gambling promotion, is one of the worst parts of the game. Chambers is spot on, and it's probably even more at the fore when you look at Knudsen in January, who was clearly ill-advised.

Not a fan of many agents but unsure what Knudsen or his agent did wrong?

We hadn't offered anything had we? If so then surely he has no choice but to look at his options which is what he did. If he moves for free at the end of the season financially he will get a better package and that seems to be the way things are going with players, see Ramsey for example.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Interesting from Chambo on 13:19 - Feb 19 with 3913 viewsMrTown

Interesting from Chambo on 13:07 - Feb 19 by itfcjoe

Players need agents though, and there are plenty of good ones out there - like he mentions that now they don't need to be regulated it is much more difficult.

A lot of agents are ex players too as he recommends all agents should be, and some of those fall into the good category, others fall into the bad category - there's no real simple solution.

It might be best for Ndaba to go - sign a deal on here and play in our U23s, or sign for Wolves and play in theirs with bigger exposure, more money and a better chance to get a higher quality loan when senior club has clout to ensure you play.

I think too many people look at lack of loyalty and not realise that the industry is more cut throat for the players than anyone else and they need to make hay whilst the sun shines.

I agree, I'm sure there are good agents out there and many of them.

The problem as all things is they are only in the public eye for negative things.

Login to get fewer ads

Interesting from Chambo on 13:26 - Feb 19 with 3843 viewsFrimleyBlue

You even have 'Agents' at step 6!!!!

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Interesting from Chambo on 13:28 - Feb 19 with 3826 viewsGooders7592

Interesting from Chambo on 13:07 - Feb 19 by itfcjoe

Do they really need agents? Some players don't have them and negotiate everything themselves.

I assume it comes down to how 'lazy' or involved they want to be.
Interesting from Chambo on 13:37 - Feb 19 with 3755 viewsitfcjoe

Interesting from Chambo on 13:28 - Feb 19 by Gooders7592

Do they really need agents? Some players don't have them and negotiate everything themselves.

I assume it comes down to how 'lazy' or involved they want to be.

It's not about being lazy or lacking involvement, it's about being taken for a ride.

If you are a youth international and you go away to meet up with international team mates and they are earning £5k a week, and you sit down with chairman and get told you will be offered £350 a week then, I think as a 17-18 year old boy - who will often be from a very working class background and not used to dealing with business leaders - there is an opportunity for you to undersell yourself.

There are also specific terms in contracts that you have to ensure are correct - insurances, options, etc and it is big business now - it's not signing up to get £50 a game at Ipswich Wanderers which you can walk away from, these are 3 year deals that will be enforced etc.

Like I said though, some agents are in it for themselves, but the vast majority aren't - they manage a boys career on and off the pitch - help them sort out mortgages, cars, investments etc

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Interesting from Chambo on 13:42 - Feb 19 with 3716 viewsMrTown

Interesting from Chambo on 13:37 - Feb 19 by itfcjoe

It's not about being lazy or lacking involvement, it's about being taken for a ride.

If you are a youth international and you go away to meet up with international team mates and they are earning £5k a week, and you sit down with chairman and get told you will be offered £350 a week then, I think as a 17-18 year old boy - who will often be from a very working class background and not used to dealing with business leaders - there is an opportunity for you to undersell yourself.

There are also specific terms in contracts that you have to ensure are correct - insurances, options, etc and it is big business now - it's not signing up to get £50 a game at Ipswich Wanderers which you can walk away from, these are 3 year deals that will be enforced etc.

Like I said though, some agents are in it for themselves, but the vast majority aren't - they manage a boys career on and off the pitch - help them sort out mortgages, cars, investments etc

Agree entirely.

Such a big business now, higher up the pyramid you move the more contractual stipulations go into a contract. In the professional game it takes someone with business/financial/law expertise sit down in a boardroom with executives/directors/chairman to negotiate.

Its no slight on footballers but top agents often come from the world law/accountancy/PhD/Masters at the higher end because its what they're trained in.

Footballers play the football, agents control the business side.

Interesting from Chambo on 13:44 - Feb 19 with 3697 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Interesting from Chambo on 13:08 - Feb 19 by Coastalblue

Not a fan of many agents but unsure what Knudsen or his agent did wrong?

We hadn't offered anything had we? If so then surely he has no choice but to look at his options which is what he did. If he moves for free at the end of the season financially he will get a better package and that seems to be the way things are going with players, see Ramsey for example.

We offered a contract, IIRC.

Interesting from Chambo on 14:38 - Feb 19 with 3508 viewsPJH

Interesting from Chambo on 13:44 - Feb 19 by JammyDodgerrr

We offered a contract, IIRC.

I don't think that Jonas has been offered a contract (yet).

Certainly Hurst was showing no interest in doing so but not sure if PL/ME have now but I have not seen it said that they have.
Interesting from Chambo on 15:06 - Feb 19 with 3387 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Interesting from Chambo on 14:38 - Feb 19 by PJH

I don't think that Jonas has been offered a contract (yet).

Certainly Hurst was showing no interest in doing so but not sure if PL/ME have now but I have not seen it said that they have.

Oh, i thought that Lambert had said we had put something on the table - maybe i mis remember.

Interesting from Chambo on 15:08 - Feb 19 with 3372 viewsChampionship

Interesting from Chambo on 13:26 - Feb 19 by FrimleyBlue

What's step six?
Interesting from Chambo on 15:09 - Feb 19 with 3365 viewsPJH

Interesting from Chambo on 15:06 - Feb 19 by JammyDodgerrr

Oh, i thought that Lambert had said we had put something on the table - maybe i mis remember.

You might be right and I have missed it.

We could ask Phil but he is too busy with Political threads.
Interesting from Chambo on 15:13 - Feb 19 with 3343 viewschicoazul

I am sure Richard didnt think to himself when he left us to go to one of the biggest clubs in Europe at the time "I am going to sit on the bench and collect my pay". Nor did he think it when he went to Everton. It just worked out that way and I believe he would tell any of us that he had a great career and that nobody should feel sorry for him.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Interesting from Chambo on 15:17 - Feb 19 with 3312 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Interesting from Chambo on 15:13 - Feb 19 by chicoazul

I am sure Richard didnt think to himself when he left us to go to one of the biggest clubs in Europe at the time "I am going to sit on the bench and collect my pay". Nor did he think it when he went to Everton. It just worked out that way and I believe he would tell any of us that he had a great career and that nobody should feel sorry for him.

Agreed, he backed himself and went to test himself at a bigger club.

He found out that he wasn't quite cut out for football on the very biggest stage, but at least he took up the challenge.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Interesting from Chambo on 15:37 - Feb 19 with 3233 viewsThe_Last_Baron

I think he went to Arsenal believing he was going to play the Cup games for the first season and then he would take over as the number one. He should have stayed at Ipswich for another couple of years, played another 100 games and then moved.

David Seaman was an incredible goalkeeper and he still had a couple of years left at the top level.

Wright became a wealthy man but without checking I'd say that he made 80% of his appearances during his first spell at Ipswich. He could have played 800 games.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Interesting from Chambo on 15:41 - Feb 19 with 3211 viewsPJH

Interesting from Chambo on 15:37 - Feb 19 by The_Last_Baron

I think he went to Arsenal believing he was going to play the Cup games for the first season and then he would take over as the number one. He should have stayed at Ipswich for another couple of years, played another 100 games and then moved.

David Seaman was an incredible goalkeeper and he still had a couple of years left at the top level.

Wright became a wealthy man but without checking I'd say that he made 80% of his appearances during his first spell at Ipswich. He could have played 800 games.

63% but if you then add the 58 he made on his return it becomes 78.6% of his career appearances were for us.

Assuming that the figures on Wiki are correct.
Interesting from Chambo on 15:48 - Feb 19 with 3166 viewsagentp

Interesting from Chambo on 15:09 - Feb 19 by PJH

You might be right and I have missed it.

We could ask Phil but he is too busy with Political threads.

My understanding is that Knudsen had not been offered anything. Lambert expressed his surprise at this and subsequently got the ball rolling. In that period of uncertainty Knudsen's agent set about doing what he should be doing and touting a future for his player. When the ITFC offer was on the table, Knudsen's agent felt able to negotiate a better one away from ITFC.

Poll: If only these two were available who would you choose for the rest of the season

Interesting from Chambo on 16:07 - Feb 19 with 3076 views26_Paz

Interesting from Chambo on 13:26 - Feb 19 by FrimleyBlue

Surely you don't?! Isn't that like the Ridgeons league or whatever that's called now?!

The Paz Man

Interesting from Chambo on 16:45 - Feb 19 with 2976 viewschristiand

Interesting from Chambo on 13:02 - Feb 19 by Marshalls_Mullet

To be fair, he wouldnt have left us thinking his career would go backwards, he would have left expecting to learn from Seaman and become his successor.

I think he would have benefited from another season with us, but I can see why he left, and I think it showed ambition rather than a lack of ambition.

Without a doubt MM! No disrespect to the club, but plying your trade with us compared to Arsenal who were one of the big guns (excuse the pun) at the time was a huge step up regardless of our own superb PL finish that season. Every mistake criticised by the media or others close to the club just heightens the pressure. At Ipswich, he could probably get away with a few more things instead of being caught in the glare of the spotlight at Highbury. Nevertheless, Wright had earned that transfer he'd been consistently brilliant for us since making his debut.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Interesting from Chambo on 16:54 - Feb 19 with 2918 viewsTractor_Buck

Interesting from Chambo on 16:07 - Feb 19 by 26_Paz

Surely you don't?! Isn't that like the Ridgeons league or whatever that's called now?!

If he really means Step 6 then yes, that's the Eastern Counties League (Thurlow Nunn League) Division 1. I doubt there are too many agents knocking around there.

However, if he means Level 6 (actually Step 2 - make notes, there will be a test later), then that's the National North/National South. At that level a quarter of the clubs are full-time and many of the players can live off what they earn, even semi-pro. So yes, the agents are a part of daily life.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024