Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
what's everyone's opinion on the 595 million pound sky sports deal to show EFL 13:16 - Feb 25 with 2707 viewsPattiswickBlue

36% increase on the last deal
a base value of 2.3 mil for championship clubs and 4.5 mil for solidarity payments for championship clubs.
supplies certainty as the money will stay the same for 5 years. Gives owners a clear amount of money they will have to spend on transfers.
I think it is a good deal personally.
please respond doing a piece of uni work on this.
what's everyone's opinion on the 595 million pound sky sports deal to show EFL on 13:38 - Feb 25 with 2637 viewsfactual_blue

Any deal involving murdoch, whether in football or anything else, is wrong.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

what's everyone's opinion on the 595 million pound sky sports deal to show EFL on 13:40 - Feb 25 with 2632 viewsitfcjoe

The rights have been undersold in my view - Championship is a well supported league.

Also, the fact that the EFL Chief Exec can agree to a 5 year deal a few weeks/months before he leaves the post is madness - should never be tied up for so long.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

what's everyone's opinion on the 595 million pound sky sports deal to show EFL on 14:00 - Feb 25 with 2544 viewsGeoffSentence

Typical ain't it. The financial settlement for championship clubs is about to go up, just as we are about to go down.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

what's everyone's opinion on the 595 million pound sky sports deal to show EFL on 14:02 - Feb 25 with 2532 viewsSonOfSpock

Wondered why my Sky bill is increasing yet again.
what's everyone's opinion on the 595 million pound sky sports deal to show EFL on 14:21 - Feb 25 with 2468 viewsBlueRaider

I wrote this last week, I think the whole money thing is a mess, what do you think of the below ?

Although I love going to watch Town and enjoy watching football, I really dislike the modern game, and my friends feel the same way. I also see similar threads on the Town forum.

I think there are many improvements that could be made to the game, but I think the biggest issue in the game is the money and the way that the whole thing is structured for the benefit of the big 6 clubs (or so it seems)

- The team that finished bottom of the premier league last year (WBA) received £95m in TV money
- The average TV money for a premier league team last season was £121m
- A championship team without parachute money receives £6.7m in TV money, this is less than 6% of the average premier league payout.
- A newly relegated team in the Championship receives nearly £47m in TV money, this is nearly 700% of the money that a ‘normal’ championship team receives, however it is only 38% of an average premier league team and less than half what you receive for finishing bottom of the Premier league.
- A team in their second season down in the Championship still receives nearly £42m, which is over 6 times the amount of a ‘normal’ championship team
- A team in their third season down in the Championship receives over £21m, so over 3 times a ‘normal’ championship team, yet a drop of 50% on their turnover from the previous year,
- A League one team receives about £1.4m which is only 21% of what is received in the Championship.
- A league two team receives just under £1m which is around 67% of a league one team.
- 85% of all TV money in England goes to the Premier League
- Of the remaining 15%, 9% goes to sides with parachute payments
- Only 6% goes to the remaining 60-62 teams (depending on the number of parachute payments)

This structure of money means that there are a series of cliff edges in terms of turnover, which as anyone who runs a business knows makes life extremely difficult.

Other than the top 6 clubs (and arguably Everton), all the other Premier League clubs are likely to suffer relegation at some point, and so also the effects of one of these turnover cliff edges. We have seen in recent years that teams rarely bounce back into the Premier League in their first season down and these cliff edges have other negative (in my view) effects :

- Disproportionate desperation by clubs to avoid Premier league relegation because of the loss of money (Bolton, Portsmouth etc)
- Increased desperation by clubs to get to the Premier League to get the money, and so reckless gambling with a clubs future (Derby, Forest, Birmingham etc)
- Obsession with the league at the cost of other competitions. The decline of the FA cup to being basically a nuisance sideshow for many clubs is very sad in my view. Most sides field weakend teams and those that progress almost do so by accident. The FA cup used to be the highlight of the season, not any more.
- Completely un-level playing field in the Championship as is it grotesquely distorted by the parachute payments which due to them lasting 3 seasons means that up to 9 clubs can have them.

Add to this the feebleness of the FFP regulations and in my view you have a mess. Marcus Evans puts in £6m per year to the club, but it is not nearly enough to compete. Is it his fault for not putting more in, or is it these financial imbalances ?

Where has most of the money that is awash in the game gone ? It has basically gone into the pockets of players, managers and agents, it has not seen a reduction of the cost of ticket prices, it has seen little investment in grass roots football.

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

what's everyone's opinion on the 595 million pound sky sports deal to show EFL on 14:27 - Feb 25 with 2443 viewsBenters2

what's everyone's opinion on the 595 million pound sky sports deal to show EFL on 14:00 - Feb 25 by GeoffSentence

Typical ain't it. The financial settlement for championship clubs is about to go up, just as we are about to go down.

That will teach Evans to just roll over and accept relegation the way he has.

I know buy the club etc.
what's everyone's opinion on the 595 million pound sky sports deal to show EFL on 14:29 - Feb 25 with 2438 viewsPattiswickBlue

what's everyone's opinion on the 595 million pound sky sports deal to show EFL on 14:21 - Feb 25 by BlueRaider

I wrote this last week, I think the whole money thing is a mess, what do you think of the below ?

Although I love going to watch Town and enjoy watching football, I really dislike the modern game, and my friends feel the same way. I also see similar threads on the Town forum.

I think there are many improvements that could be made to the game, but I think the biggest issue in the game is the money and the way that the whole thing is structured for the benefit of the big 6 clubs (or so it seems)

- The team that finished bottom of the premier league last year (WBA) received £95m in TV money
- The average TV money for a premier league team last season was £121m
- A championship team without parachute money receives £6.7m in TV money, this is less than 6% of the average premier league payout.
- A newly relegated team in the Championship receives nearly £47m in TV money, this is nearly 700% of the money that a ‘normal’ championship team receives, however it is only 38% of an average premier league team and less than half what you receive for finishing bottom of the Premier league.
- A team in their second season down in the Championship still receives nearly £42m, which is over 6 times the amount of a ‘normal’ championship team
- A team in their third season down in the Championship receives over £21m, so over 3 times a ‘normal’ championship team, yet a drop of 50% on their turnover from the previous year,
- A League one team receives about £1.4m which is only 21% of what is received in the Championship.
- A league two team receives just under £1m which is around 67% of a league one team.
- 85% of all TV money in England goes to the Premier League
- Of the remaining 15%, 9% goes to sides with parachute payments
- Only 6% goes to the remaining 60-62 teams (depending on the number of parachute payments)

This structure of money means that there are a series of cliff edges in terms of turnover, which as anyone who runs a business knows makes life extremely difficult.

Other than the top 6 clubs (and arguably Everton), all the other Premier League clubs are likely to suffer relegation at some point, and so also the effects of one of these turnover cliff edges. We have seen in recent years that teams rarely bounce back into the Premier League in their first season down and these cliff edges have other negative (in my view) effects :

- Disproportionate desperation by clubs to avoid Premier league relegation because of the loss of money (Bolton, Portsmouth etc)
- Increased desperation by clubs to get to the Premier League to get the money, and so reckless gambling with a clubs future (Derby, Forest, Birmingham etc)
- Obsession with the league at the cost of other competitions. The decline of the FA cup to being basically a nuisance sideshow for many clubs is very sad in my view. Most sides field weakend teams and those that progress almost do so by accident. The FA cup used to be the highlight of the season, not any more.
- Completely un-level playing field in the Championship as is it grotesquely distorted by the parachute payments which due to them lasting 3 seasons means that up to 9 clubs can have them.

Add to this the feebleness of the FFP regulations and in my view you have a mess. Marcus Evans puts in £6m per year to the club, but it is not nearly enough to compete. Is it his fault for not putting more in, or is it these financial imbalances ?

Where has most of the money that is awash in the game gone ? It has basically gone into the pockets of players, managers and agents, it has not seen a reduction of the cost of ticket prices, it has seen little investment in grass roots football.

very useful resource, thanks very much.
I agree with the points made. However, the problem is sky sports were the only broadcaster who were willing to put that amount of money into it. no other broadcaster wanted to pay huge amounts of money for 2nd, 3rd and 4th tier football.
what's everyone's opinion on the 595 million pound sky sports deal to show EFL on 14:40 - Feb 25 with 2400 viewsrickw

I think it'd be better long term to change to a different provider.
Sky don't care about the EFL, they buy it just to stop their competitors getting it and potentially promoting it and getting good viewing figures.
Sky's coverage of EFL matches is poor and their experts tend to know about their own team and then just what they've read on the fact sheet in front of them.

I wondered about the feasibility of the EFL (perhaps also along with the WSL) create their own freeview football channel, so football fans have a real option if they don't want to pay Sky's extortionate prices. I guess advertising revenues would depend on viewing figures; whether that would ever come close to matching what Sky pay I have no idea, but probably not...
[Post edited 25 Feb 2019 14:41]

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Login to get fewer ads

what's everyone's opinion on the 595 million pound sky sports deal to show EFL on 14:48 - Feb 25 with 2356 viewsitfcjoe

what's everyone's opinion on the 595 million pound sky sports deal to show EFL on 14:40 - Feb 25 by rickw

I think it'd be better long term to change to a different provider.
Sky don't care about the EFL, they buy it just to stop their competitors getting it and potentially promoting it and getting good viewing figures.
Sky's coverage of EFL matches is poor and their experts tend to know about their own team and then just what they've read on the fact sheet in front of them.

I wondered about the feasibility of the EFL (perhaps also along with the WSL) create their own freeview football channel, so football fans have a real option if they don't want to pay Sky's extortionate prices. I guess advertising revenues would depend on viewing figures; whether that would ever come close to matching what Sky pay I have no idea, but probably not...
[Post edited 25 Feb 2019 14:41]

I think that is unfair on Sky - their EFL coverage has been very good this year. The likes of Liam Rosenior, David prutton are very good on the highlights show - EFL matters has good guests and is always worth a watch and they show a lot of games.

I think this deal is a bad one though, Sky have got a bargain for these rights

what's everyone's opinion on the 595 million pound sky sports deal to show EFL on 15:06 - Feb 25 with 2296 viewsBlueRaider

what's everyone's opinion on the 595 million pound sky sports deal to show EFL on 14:29 - Feb 25 by PattiswickBlue

very useful resource, thanks very much.
I agree with the points made. However, the problem is sky sports were the only broadcaster who were willing to put that amount of money into it. no other broadcaster wanted to pay huge amounts of money for 2nd, 3rd and 4th tier football.

I have a theory that it could be fixed :

Spread the money more evenly among the 92 clubs, so each division gets about 70% of the TV money of the one above

Enforce a salary cap of 80% of the amount of TV income.

These would stop rich owners distorting things, make a more level playing field so player development and good management become more important, stop clubs hording players, maybe allow ticket prices to be dropped as that revenue stream is less important.

I think there could be a chance that all but the premier league top 6 might just support something like that as they have a better chance to compete and less of a cliff edge if they go down.

What do you think ?

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

what's everyone's opinion on the 595 million pound sky sports deal to show EFL on 15:08 - Feb 25 with 2285 viewsFixed_It

what's everyone's opinion on the 595 million pound sky sports deal to show EFL on 14:27 - Feb 25 by Benters2

That will teach Evans to just roll over and accept relegation the way he has.

I know buy the club etc.

Do you really believe he is happy to accept relegation? A very simplistic viewpoint.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

what's everyone's opinion on the 595 million pound sky sports deal to show EFL on 15:10 - Feb 25 with 2271 viewsPositivelyPortman

what's everyone's opinion on the 595 million pound sky sports deal to show EFL on 13:38 - Feb 25 by factual_blue

Any deal involving murdoch, whether in football or anything else, is wrong.

True.
I’d love Sky tv and Sky sports but I won’t give money to that fecker.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

what's everyone's opinion on the 595 million pound sky sports deal to show EFL on 16:34 - Feb 25 with 2105 viewsPattiswickBlue

what's everyone's opinion on the 595 million pound sky sports deal to show EFL on 15:06 - Feb 25 by BlueRaider

Spread the money more evenly among the 92 clubs, so each division gets about 70% of the TV money of the one above

These would stop rich owners distorting things, make a more level playing field so player development and good management become more important, stop clubs hording players, maybe allow ticket prices to be dropped as that revenue stream is less important.

I think there could be a chance that all but the premier league top 6 might just support something like that as they have a better chance to compete and less of a cliff edge if they go down.

What do you think ?

it is a good idea. however, it would be very difficult to enforce.
what's everyone's opinion on the 595 million pound sky sports deal to show EFL on 16:46 - Feb 25 with 2071 viewsBent_double

what's everyone's opinion on the 595 million pound sky sports deal to show EFL on 14:48 - Feb 25 by itfcjoe

I think that is unfair on Sky - their EFL coverage has been very good this year. The likes of Liam Rosenior, David prutton are very good on the highlights show - EFL matters has good guests and is always worth a watch and they show a lot of games.

I think this deal is a bad one though, Sky have got a bargain for these rights

Would it matter if the deal was for £600, £1bn or £2bn though? The more money that football clubs get from the TV rights, the more the wages of bang-average players goes up, or instead of a PL club asking for a £1m loan fee for a player, they will be asking £2m.

As someone else has pointed out in this thread, it's how the money is distributed between clubs/leagues that's more important that the actual amount Sky or BT are paying.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

what's everyone's opinion on the 595 million pound sky sports deal to show EFL on 19:02 - Feb 25 with 1925 viewsjas0999

... just because it gives owners a clear amount of money to spend on transfers, doesn’t mean they will. Some owners may absorb the cash into the running of the club and neglect the playing squad.
what's everyone's opinion on the 595 million pound sky sports deal to show EFL on 23:20 - Feb 25 with 1734 viewsSenatorBlue

what's everyone's opinion on the 595 million pound sky sports deal to show EFL on 15:06 - Feb 25 by BlueRaider

What do you think ?

Add to this, the implementation of a centralised regional (but non club owned) academy structure, (compensating club investment to date), that allows for full focus on (British) player development per the FA player development ethos, eliminating club poaching and/or player hoarding, and eliminating EPP academy inbalance that currently allows (for example) the Scum to set up academies all over Ipswich and Suffolk.

Whilst also introducing a tiered based draft system (per league), based on players assessed “potential level” from these academies (U18 - U23), prior to each season, with first draft pick option going to bottom placed team (promoted) up to last pick with top team (relegated), based on league position, but allowing lower teams to trade their early pick options.

It’s one of the few things I think American sports gets right. Equal to your initial ideas, can’t see any such ideas ever working here - impossible to implement, too much club power, in particular EPL clubs.
what's everyone's opinion on the 595 million pound sky sports deal to show EFL on 10:35 - Feb 26 with 1582 viewsitfcjoe

what's everyone's opinion on the 595 million pound sky sports deal to show EFL on 16:46 - Feb 25 by Bent_double

Would it matter if the deal was for £600, £1bn or £2bn though? The more money that football clubs get from the TV rights, the more the wages of bang-average players goes up, or instead of a PL club asking for a £1m loan fee for a player, they will be asking £2m.

As someone else has pointed out in this thread, it's how the money is distributed between clubs/leagues that's more important that the actual amount Sky or BT are paying.

You still need to get fair value on the deal - the fact that outgoing Chief Exec has signed a 5 year deal is madness though. The new guy doesn't have a hope of achievein anything as his biggest income stream is now just tied up

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024